• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Anti-Fold Server

seapirate: it's /etc/getfold . Marty's not too good at the spleling.

And for the record, whoops. :-/ It's on in the new version, I swear!

Quite a lot when I forget something dumb like that.

 
Yeah I can execute that command just fine. The only funny thing I saw was busybox eating up cpu clock cycles. Never saw it when I typed "ps aux"

I would like to use the samba version, do I have to wipe out my hard drive to install the new version or is there a way to update?
 
Nope, no easy updates. If you download the CD, do "mount /dev/hdb /mnt", "cd /", "tar zxvf /mnt/system.tar.gz", it'll overwrite everything with the new version. However, if you've changed any files (config, username, whatever) it'll overwrite. I suggest you start back at the beginning after doing this to make sure you don't miss anything.

Hope that works...

 
I started a VPC with the latest.

How do we monitor via EM3? \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\what?\

Spat out an error getting folding client, but worked.

How do we config the config?

Any reason to leave both these VPC's running? Just killing my PPD from the box...
 
Oh well, I got the new version and will wipe the box out. I have a couple of 340mb drives sitting around, may try one of them with this new version.
 
Marty: You'll have to figure out what IP it's getting from dhcp. Look at "ifconfig eth0". It's listed there.

And I guess we can assume that turning on swap fixed the problem. Shut 'em down.

type "cfgfold" to configure. 33 all the way!

 
unhappy_mage said:
Marty: You'll have to figure out what IP it's getting from dhcp. Look at "ifconfig eth0". It's listed there.

And I guess we can assume that turning on swap fixed the problem. Shut 'em down.

type "cfgfold" to configure. 33 all the way!



what is the directory? \\ip\directory name ?\

in cfgfold, after user name the "manually tweak client.cfg" no work. answer "y" and drops to linux # deal
 
I think he means if we know the IP, what do we put into EM3 to let it know what to monitor?
 
I think it's \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\fold\1\

bastard, making me figure out this crap myself. "ls" is how to list files in shitux.

Anyways, can't hit it in EM3, can't map the share in windows.

share working?

edit: and yes I can ping it
 
I looked at the smb config file, the share is setup there. I modified the file to make the samba share appear in my browse list in windows, but I think the permissions are not setup correctly to access it.
 
seapirate said:
I looked at the smb config file, the share is setup there. I modified the file to make the samba share appear in my browse list in windows, but I think the permissions are not setup correctly to access it.

Yea, he did this on the fold server too. Need to change the permisions I think. No clue how.

try "/etc/mage fix this dangit!!!!"

:D
 
marty9876 said:
I think it's \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\fold\1\

"ls" is how to list files
1) right
2) See, you're learning! :p

I think it should be accessible; smbd's running as root, so it has permission to read the files. I'll have to load it on a real machine and play with it. I think I got one of those around...

ITMT (in the meantime), try "chown ftp:nobody /fold -R". This sets the privileges to a low user. Seapirate, can you see the share but not connect to it?
K* said:
by the time you updated i was on my 2-3rd beer.
I wish I could put "me too" here. It's been a long week, and it's only Thursday. If you could see how many typing mistakes I'm making right now, you'd know what I mean.

 
unhappy_mage said:
I wish I could put "me too" here. It's been a long week, and it's only Thursday. If you could see how many typing mistakes I'm making right now, you'd know what I mean.

thankfully for me it is my friday.. But thanks again for all the [H]ard work you are doing for the team man!
 
unhappy_mage said:
ITMT (in the meantime), try "chown ftp:nobody /fold -R". This sets the privileges to a low user. Seapirate, can you see the share but not connect to it?

Yes, it shows up in my Network Neighborhood, but when I try to click on it, it says that permission was denied. I also modified the smb.conf file to allow guest access to the fold share. I also tried just mapping a network drive to \\192.168.1.35\fold and got a similar error about permissions.
 
I also have one more question about this. Will it queue up ten WU's if the client is set to timeless WU's or will it just grab one at a time? I'd prefer the option to grab a bunch of timeless WUs for something like my dually. I might be moving it over to my apartment tonight and it's not going to have internet access there. I have it running with ten WU's queued so it will have plenty to run on for a while. I'll have to copy the directories over to a flash drive and upload and download the WU's either here at work or at my friend's house. At current pace, it would take about 25 weeks to finish all ten WU's. That's per processor of course.

But, if I can find some other parts, I may have a PIII 500 (I think) that I may be able to get up and running naked before long and it will be without an internet connection also. I would need it to queue the WU's since it would have to run timeless due to the queueing.

 
I am getting a Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempting to Kill init when I try to install. This seems bad. Any ideas?
 
In short, no. What's printed before that, and is this machine prime-stable? Those are the two big things that are usually the problem. If a driver crashes it, I can take it out.

Weird Al said:
When I see this guy Marty tryin' to carry a big ol' sofa up the stairs all by himself
So I, I say to him, I say "Hey, you want me to help you with that?"
And Marty, he just rolls his eyes and goes
"No, I want you to cut off my arms and legs with a chainsaw"

So I did.
A guy named marty, what are the odds?

 
No idea as there is no OS on the machine to see if it is Prime stable :) There are a bunch of #s before the kill thing and it doesn't always hang in teh same place. It goes thru and finds the drive and all that and then does a bunch of inits and blows up. Also when I tried to burn the iso it told me that the iso size didn't match or something? Using Nero to burn it.. Did you update it beyond teh link a few pages back?
 
Yeah Nero gives that error, just click ignore and it will burn fine. Used Nero to burn the 2 versions I have downloaded so far and both times it worked fine.
 
Tormond said:
Also when I tried to burn the iso it told me that the iso size didn't match or something? Using Nero to burn it.. Did you update it beyond teh link a few pages back?
The links all point to the same file; I'm just posting the link again for convenience. Let's make sure the file was completely and properly downloaded. The size is 10715136 bytes, and the md5 hash is 94adda09596b45b946404e71261297f7. If either of those don't match, redownload and try again.

Another thing to try would be Memtest. Let it run through a loop and make sure there are no errors.

WRT samba, I just managed to get the machine booted. DHCP goes screwy at my house sometimes; I found that there were 2 servers offering it leases and thus it was just hanging. Turned one off and the problem went away. Gah.

Anyways, the problem has been found. In smbd's log, I'm getting a lot of errors like this:
Code:
[2005/07/29 14:18:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(804)
[2005/07/29 14:18:21, 0] smbd/oplock.c:init_oplocks(1220)
  open_oplock_ipc: Failed to get local UDP socket for address 100007f. Error was Cannot assign requested address
I'll work on it, probably something dumb I left out.

 
unhappy_mage said:
I'll work on it, probably something dumb I left out.
Well, guess what? I guessed right. I forgot the "loopback" interface, and samba needs it. There was also a problem with the configuration, and that's also fixed now. Samba is working as expected now.

ssh, on the other hand... scp is being a jerk. I can pull from the machine, and push to it, but not push from it or pull to it. In other words, it's got a ways to go.

 
I'ts kinda complicated, and I'm not sure I remember all the steps. Here it is, though:
mkdir /etc/network
cat > /etc/network/interfaces <<EOF
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
EOF
mkdir etc/network/if-down.d
mkdir etc/network/if-post-down.d
mkdir etc/network/if-pre-up.d
mkdir etc/network/if-up.d
ifup lo
smbctl restart

I'll have a new version finished uploading in a few minutes, you can just download and install that one.

 
Maybe, for some reason the last cd stopped working. I kept getting a hdc or hdb not responding during install. Keep hammering away at it and it finally installed when I was looking for the sledgehammer to hit the computer with. So now I have 2 systems up and running now, but I would like to just fix samba on them for right now. One is fairly far into a work unit and would like it to finish before upgrading.
 
Well this one installed without a hitch :) And on a happy note I got F@H installed on my laptop this morning got a WU and then drove around folding all day :) Time to bring it back to the network to let it do updates :)

Back on topic I got the sytem installed and now I am at a ~ # prompt. I have tried all the unix commands I know (yep both of them) and can't figure out where to go from here. I want to start folding but how?

 
Auto config might be off, just light a 900 AMD w/ 192 RAM, set to normal packets. If these could be large that would be sweet.

Tormond- Page 3 or so. Read though this thread, count on me having typoes...

cfgfold


/etc/getfold
/etc/fold init
/etc/fold start

or something like that
 
Edit: computers suck.

Found two nic's it don't like for what it's worth. I don't think they were real main stream products.
 
marty9876 said:
What's up with this panic kernal shit on install?
I honestly don't know. I can't duplicate it here, so I can't debug it. Can someone get it to happen and take a pic? I might be able to get somewhere from that... Until I get some information on it, I can't even get started on it.

:confused:

 
unhappy_mage said:
I honestly don't know. I can't duplicate it here, so I can't debug it. Can someone get it to happen and take a pic? I might be able to get somewhere from that... Until I get some information on it, I can't even get started on it.

:confused:



see edit

yea I can do a pic tomorrow
 
What nics are they? I can't be sure, but I might have them disabled, or other things enabled that break them. A model number or whatever should suffice.

 
unhappy_mage said:
What nics are they? I can't be sure, but I might have them disabled, or other things enabled that break them. A model number or whatever should suffice.


I'll get ya the info
 
For the record this thing is sweet. Slap on an OS in about 2 minutes from start to finish. Ping the outside world once loaded and that pretty much tests all aspects of crapper funactionality (even a word?).
 
unhappy_mage said:
I'ts kinda complicated, and I'm not sure I remember all the steps. Here it is, though:
mkdir /etc/network
cat > /etc/network/interfaces <<EOF
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
EOF
mkdir etc/network/if-down.d
mkdir etc/network/if-post-down.d
mkdir etc/network/if-pre-up.d
mkdir etc/network/if-up.d
ifup lo
smbctl restart

I'll have a new version finished uploading in a few minutes, you can just download and install that one.


Ok this did not work for me. Do you have the correct directories or should they actually be under /etc/init.d/network?
 
Back
Top