• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Anti-Fold Server

I'll be up and running in a few days when all the bugs are worked out =] (and when my laptop finishes a WU.
 
hmm. well everything i come up with just says celeron

so.. p3 370pin dual 400mhz celeron... i trump your petty p3 550mhz p3!!!
 
KodiakStar said:
hmm. well everything i come up with just says celeron

so.. p3 370pin dual 400mhz celeron... i trump your petty p3 550mhz p3!!!

Well, I completely stomp you with my dually PII 266's. :p

Although it does have 256 meg of RAM and a 4.3 gig SCSI. I think I have a couple of 80 meg Conners or something laying around, though. :eek:

 
SmokeRngs said:
Well, I completely stomp you with my dually PII 266's. :p

Although it does have 256 meg of RAM and a 4.3 gig SCSI. I think I have a couple of 80 meg Conners or something laying around, though. :eek:


ahh yes.. but can you still do WU without having to turn on the timeless flag? :D
 
Really what I meant was trying to run a dullie off 64 meg ram
 
I added samba to my version (not uploaded yet...) and memory usage is now up to 10600 kb. Not too shabby.

I'd add to your list: static IP config if anyone wants it. Any takers?

Would you rather have the username/team config be part of the install process (eg before the reboot) or part of the retrieve fah process? My suggestion is the second option. Make the install process fully automated, and then configure it later.

 
Sounds like a winner to me, but if possible just leave the team number locked out, heaven forbid someone fold for someone other than good ol 33. :D

 
I would like Static IP config, if it is not too much trouble :)

and yea.. team 33 is a must, user name can be open :)
(or set to KodiakStar) :D
 
unhappy_mage said:
I added samba to my version (not uploaded yet...) and memory usage is now up to 10600 kb. Not too shabby.

I'd add to your list: static IP config if anyone wants it. Any takers?

Would you rather have the username/team config be part of the install process (eg before the reboot) or part of the retrieve fah process? My suggestion is the second option. Make the install process fully automated, and then configure it later.


How are we gonna monitor these if not for static IP option? Pulls IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and we just hope it keeps pulling same IP? Not good if get new DHCP server (new router ect. in home use).

Config: I'm not sure what you mean I guess. I kinda like config as part of install process instead of going back and reconfiguring, that's just my thoughts. Would the after install config be easy as hell?
 
If you guys are talking about basic client config..

why not have everything auto install to this point

Folding User Name:
Would You Like to Config F@H Y/N?

with N it goes on and does its thing..

with yes.. you can change big packets etc?
 
K*, that's an idea. However:
KodiakStar said:
with yes.. you can change big packets etc?
this doesn't happen. The clients are autoconfigured as follows in terms of what packets they ask for.
Code:
if SSE
 {
  if 128 mb free
    bigpacket
  if 48 mb free
    normalpacket
  if 10 mb free
          timelesspacket
 }
else # No SSE
 {
   if 48 mb free
    normalpacket
   if 10 mb free
    timelesspacket
 }
Where it says memory free, it really means memory free divided by CPUs, and so if you have 128mb and 2 cpus, it'll configure 2 normal packets rather than 1 big and then be out of memory for the second CPU. This helps in terms of real duallies more than HT p4s, but it doesn't hurt the HT machines any.

All that I plan to make configurable is the username and team.

 
Ahh ok, understood. Does it check the CPU speed as well? or just the RAM?

another though (I don't know how many people would use it as such)

but for those of whom use it on p4's doing the -adv switches and all (configurable or a how to guide to change it later on?)

like i said. i think most of us will be just using it on "sub par" machines so no need. unless someone shows an interest
 
Just the ram; I figure a p2 (no sse, remember) 350 or 400 will (just) make deadlines, and if you're dumb enough to put a 686 with more than 64 mb in service, you deserve to miss deadlines. Or maybe I just forgot to think about that ;)

I guess I'll put in another check for cpu speed > 400 and otherwise assign only timeless. It'll be interesting to run this on SmokeRngs' dual 233. With 256mb of ram, it'd assign a pair of normal WUs... :eek:

 
unhappy_mage said:
I guess I'll put in another check for cpu speed > 400 and otherwise assign only timeless. It'll be interesting to run this on SmokeRngs' dual 233. With 256mb of ram, it'd assign a pair of normal WUs... :eek:

Yup thats who i had in mind :)
 
I vote for static IP option & config after install not during.

Awesome stuff so far Mage, thanks!

:cool:


 
Also, just for quick referance, please include all local escort telephone numbers to area code 612. Thanks!
 
marty9876 said:
Also, just for quick referance, please include all local escort telephone numbers to area code 612. Thanks!

dont you have those on speed dial already?
 
unhappy_mage said:
Just the ram; I figure a p2 (no sse, remember) 350 or 400 will (just) make deadlines, and if you're dumb enough to put a 686 with more than 64 mb in service, you deserve to miss deadlines. Or maybe I just forgot to think about that ;)

I guess I'll put in another check for cpu speed > 400 and otherwise assign only timeless. It'll be interesting to run this on SmokeRngs' dual 233. With 256mb of ram, it'd assign a pair of normal WUs... :eek:


Yeah, I was just reading through and saw that. There is no way my 266's will have a chance of turning in normal WU's on time I don't think. Although with the new 249 point timeless tinkers, they are chugging along rather well; at about twice the speed they were doing on the old timeless tinkers PPD-wise. It will take about as much time for each CPU to turn those in as it will the P4 2.8 I have at work running timeless on the second instance and set to 15% CPU usage. In other words, it will take about 2 1/2 weeks I think for it to finish the WUs. That actually surprises me a lot.

If you could, I would prefer to be able to setup a bit more in the client during the normal install/config part of it. I'd like to be able to set certain switches and stuff like that. It's actually not so much for the dually 266's as it is if I have a higher end system that can do bigpackets. This way if I wanted to (and it was possible) setup one client for bigpackets and the other one for normal WU's in case I don't have the RAM to run two bigpackets or that's just what I want to run.

Also, I would prefer to be able to setup a static IP. Right now with where my systems are, it wouldn't matter since my friend has his router setup for DHCP. When I get cable at my apartment, I'm going to have my router setup for static IPs. It will make certain things a lot easier for me. So far, my friend's router seems to assign the same IP for each rig every time, otherwise it would be a pain in the ass to run VNC. (Damn, I don't have that installed on the dually yet. Gonna have to do that tonight I think.)

I don't think I'm going to have the time tonight to do any beta testing. Maybe I'll be able to later in the week or on the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to the county fair and I'll probably be spending a good bit of time this weekend with my sister and niece who just came over from England yesterday.

Damn, I hate it when too many things seem to happen at once. Especially good things.

 
marty9876 said:
Also, just for quick referance, please include all local escort telephone numbers to area code 612. Thanks!
:eek:

Click on the smiley. On second thought, don't. Google has gotten too good.

Okay, so far we've got one vote for after setup, one for during setup, and 2 for "static pls". Looks like it's time to work on static IP support, and I think I'll just go for after-install setup. Maybe I can make 2 isos, one that does setup during install and one afterwards.

Or maybe not.

 
Just stick to the one ISO. There is no reason to have two of them just for that one difference. Besides, I don't think it would really matter all that much when it was setup as long as it gets setup and folds.

And it's nice posting from my little dually. I'm still really surprised at how fast this thing is chewing up the big timeless tinkers. I think I need to toss a different vid card in it, though. The 4 meg PCI card just doesn't do it. I think I need to get my old Radeon 32 meg DDR AGP card back from my friend. If I'm lucky, it will work in this board. Then I can start gaming and have a little bit better 2D display.

 
SmokeRngs said:
If you could, I would prefer to be able to setup a bit more in the client during the normal install/config part of it. I'd like to be able to set certain switches and stuff like that. It's actually not so much for the dually 266's as it is if I have a higher end system that can do bigpackets. This way if I wanted to (and it was possible) setup one client for bigpackets and the other one for normal WU's in case I don't have the RAM to run two bigpackets or that's just what I want to run.
The way the config is set up right now, it gets the best WU types that will fit in memory. So if you have a duallie with not enough ram for 2 bigpackets, it'll automatically start one normal and one big. It generally tries to balance load, though, so if you had a p4/ht machine, it'd get 2 normal packets rather than one bigpackets and one timeless.

I'm looking into ways to let the config script know "I'm gonna manage the client.cfgs, leave them alone", but nothing presents itself. I guess I'll make that an option in the configuration.

 
Besides just wanting to configure the client exactly the way I want it (which isn't that important) the main reason for extra configuring would be for machines like the one I'm using right now. It's too slow for most normal WUs more than likely although I have never tried to run them on this machine. I just figured it was too slow and started it on timeless. I think it would finish the tinkers on time, just not sure about Gromacs and Ambers.

 
unhappy_mage said:
I guess I'll put in another check for cpu speed > 400 and otherwise assign only timeless.
The check is implemented. If there's a processor slower than 400 mHz, it goes to "timeless-only" mode. Despite the fact that it'd normally get 2 normal WUs, it will get 2 timelesses.

But I'll throw in the option to "leave my configs alone!". Can't hurt.

 
I say we take a vote to decide what to call that option...

I vote for

"Stay the [H] away from my .cfg!"
 
Can you upload a screenie of the output of this: type "top" and then hit shift-M to sort by memory usage.

Then we can see what's sucking. Memory, that is.

 
Hmm. Try doing "swapon /dev/hda2". I guess I forgot to turn on swap.

Also, try doing "/etc/fold stop" and then see how much memory is used. It doesn't look like there's that much memory being used, and I don't know where it's going. :confused:

 
unhappy_mage said:
Hmm. Try doing "swapon /dev/hda2". I guess I forgot to turn on swap.

Also, try doing "/etc/fold stop" and then see how much memory is used. It doesn't look like there's that much memory being used, and I don't know where it's going. :confused:


"swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda2: No such file or directory"

Me thinks no workey

edit with out space

command I issued: swapon/dev/hda2
result: swapon/dev/hda2: not found

reedit:

/etc/fold stop
killall: Could not kill pid '1033' : No such process
 
Installed on my P3 550 256MB, seems to be working fine except busybox is eating up 90 to 95% of cpu.
What is the HD space required for install. I have some smaller HDs I can use so I can save my larger ones for more important systems.
 
It takes about 200mb minimum. 128mb swap, 60mb install, and the rest for FAH stuff.

Look at the output of "ps"; what program is eating all that CPU? Haven't seen that before...

 
busybox shows up when I run top, but not when I run ps

Is it part of the program for top, and if so why is it taking that much cpu to display my cpu usage.
 
Yes, that's it. Busybox is the swiss army knife of binaries; call it one thing and it acts one way, call it another and it acts another way. Most of the functions on the system are actually different aspects of Busybox. One of these is "top", which reads average values (among other things) for CPU usage. So when it goes to read its own CPU usage, it sees a very large value, because it's been querying all the other programs. So basically, don't believe "top" too much. FAH gets 99% of the cpu.

Also, if you hit space top refreshes. Wait a few seconds and then press space; you should get values back that are more like you'd expect.

 
hey Mage, are you going to update it again tonight? or is the most current one already up?

before i d/l and try this P.O.S. burner again..
 
I'ma update. Haven't heard from Marty yet; he had an issue with a 64mb machine where it crashed overnight (or was it overday?). I'd like to get that resolved before "release" releasing it.

It's about 12mb now. A little bigger, but at least it has samba.

Oh, and for those who care about technical stuff, qemu's net is terribly slow. I'm talking 50 KB/s slow. Over local net. So updating takes a little while.

And while I'm at it, don't close qemu while you're waiting on the file to copy. It's bad.

Looks like I'll be uploading after 10. I'll post then.
edit: or maybe I'll just upload now.

 
@ shop packing up crapper parts.... @ 9:00 at night. This sucks.

Dullie @ 96 still running 2 instances

VPC @ home (one with problems last night) was running a few hours ago. Stupid thing won't swap, free shows 1784 available in ram (like 2 meg ram open...) 0 swap action.

I dunno, nothing really changed on that machine, but it's still going...?????

I got a feeling already, 96 might be the safe RAM size, not sure. I wish the thing would swap somehow, or maybe it don't make a differance.

seapirate- did you do the /ect/get fold deally? all I've seen, folding tacks the CPU usage wide open. I dunno, no clue here.

FOR THE RECORD- yea so mage forgot to turn on the swap action on this... wasn't this one preq for all this.... "Whoops".......
 
Back
Top