• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Anti-Fold Server

marty9876 said:
Ohh, by the way...check the config deal this is what happened to the config I entered, I did say yes to tweaking and is crapped out back to the # deal. It seems this has happend to others also.

Username= "s"

http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=38&id=8649

From Stanford-

Donator s
Team [H]ardOCP (33)
Score 607 (certificate)
Donator Rank 210372 of 480389
WU 4 (certificate)
Date of last
work unit 2005-08-04 18:06:48
Active processors
(within 50 days) 4
Active processors
(within 7 days) 3
Detailed listing for projects 0-999
Detailed listing for projects 1000-1999
Detailed listing for projects 2000-2999
Detailed listing for projects 3000-3999

Any fix for the above? I have the same problem, everytime the machine goes off for a while or uploads a workunit, it goes back to user s.

To fix the ownership problem type from prompt:
cd fold
chmod o=rw 1


Should give read/write access to everyone.
 
seapirate said:
Any fix for the above? I have the same problem, everytime the machine goes off for a while or uploads a workunit, it goes back to user s.

To fix the ownership problem type from prompt:
cd fold
chmod o=rw 1


Should give read/write access to everyone.


That borked it good. I can map the dir, don't show anything.

Also on the name deal, try saying to to custom config deal maybe? BTW the custom config deal no work, just kicks you back to #
 
seapirate said:
Hmm, can try this too:
cd fold
chown nobody 1

that let's me make a txt file there in windows (write ability), EM3 no like me. It's a VPC so maybe that's something top do with it...
 
Played with it a little more, you also need to change the owner and read/write permissions on the work folder, then it will show up correctly in EM3
 
If you run "chown -R nobody /fold" it should do all of them; adding "-R" to a chown or chmod command means to apply it recursively. This means all the directories lower than this will also be changed, all the files lower will be changed, everything.

 
Next problems:
1. EM3 is not updating status. I can pull in the txt file and see that the work is being done.
2. userid for F@H keeps reseting to s.
 
Makle a root crontab entry to reset the permissions every minute-

crontab -e

* * * * * chmod -R 777 /your/folding/directory
 
seapirate said:
Next problems:
1. EM3 is not updating status. I can pull in the txt file and see that the work is being done.
2. userid for F@H keeps reseting to s.

1. It is working with some proteins and not others, 3 pcs are running the latest iso, 2 updates correctly in EM3, 1 does not.
2. Seems to be less of a problem with the latest iso, EM3 seems to help too.
 
The best way to solve this is to run FAH as the user who's sharing stuff over samba. I'll work on making this change tonight.

Thanks for the patience, guys.
 
*bump*

can I ask how anti-fold is differant from fold-server or are they the same thing? I'm looking for a small linux distro (or *bsd) for use in a small garden.

Which one is more better anti-fold or fold-server?
 
The difference is: a fold-server is a server (as the name implies) which has the power to start up a bunch of machines over a network. It's best for a relatively large bunch of machines; 3 or 4 at least to make a difference in power consumed. The advantage to it is that you only need one hard drive for the whole glom. The disadvantage is that it needs 2 network cards, and the configuration is a lot harder to get correct.

Anti-fold server (marty's name) is a hard drive install for only one machine. It needs a hard drive, but the memory requirements are a tad lower. Configuration is basically a matter of entering your team # and username. Can't beat that.

 
unhappy_mage said:
, and the configuration is a lot harder to get correct....

You aint just whistling Dixie 'bout that!!!


But once it's right....
It's a dream to use.




 
Not to steal the thunder....

There's a more bloated distro out there based on Knoppix which can function as a fold server (with only 1 NIC), can fold when run live from CD (using a pendrive or hdd or network share or ramdisk for the folding directory), or can be a 20 minute HDD-install with integrated folding (with or without using the terminal services for netbooting diskless clients). You can choose to fold with wine or the linux client- supports up to 2 cpu's with the wine client, up to 8 with the linux client. Use as a "fold-server" currently is done with wine and both server & client will run either one folding client or two based on the number of CPU's (HT counts as 2 cpus). This can be overridden to force only one folding client if desired. Configuration for folding is pretty simple and automatically accomplished by scripts and a config file. Installed the OS is about 2.1GB, and is easily trimmable with apt-get.

KDE 3.4.2
OpenOffice 2.0
and a ton of other goodies come included (or will once I finish building it and get it uploaded to my host)
 
Well after all the thunderstorms that have come through my area and constantly losing power, I vote for static IP addresses. When everything comes back up I have to figure out what machine is on what IP address and then try to get EM3 point correctly again.
 
Just to clarify

So anti-fold, I just stick in, hit enter, type in user and team and off it goes (in short)


Fold-server (once the massive config is grappled) I can just grab an old box, set it to boot from Network card, plug it into the network and away it goes? Just need cpu, mobo, memory and nic on clients?

Assuming fold-server has nfs mount, proxy (or routing) for clients?


I got a ton of old crappy HDs, so thinking anti-fold is the way to go? I got about 6 old IDE hard drives (1 gig or more) and probably could find some hard drives for cheap on ebay.


cheapest I've found (that I could buy more then one) was $19.00 for 8.4 gig (probably over kill).... but for $100 bucks I could outfit 5 machines [+6 I already have] = 11 Ds :)

how mature is anti-fold? Is there a web page or documenation on it?
 
Arkaine23: Yes, but mine's still much [H]arder. Both in the "go team!" sense, and in the "whoops" sense. :p

seapirate: I'll work on it. Buy an ups in the meantime ;)

budec: The advantage of fold-server here is the power costs. Running N hard drives is N times more expensive than running one. Old hard drives are worse in terms of power consumption. If you don't pay for power, then this is irrelevant, but you might someday move somewhere and this could change.

 
unhappy_mage said:
Arkaine23: Yes, but mine's still much [H]arder. Both in the "go team!" sense, and in the "whoops" sense. :p

seapirate: I'll work on it. Buy an ups in the meantime ;)

budec: The advantage of fold-server here is the power costs. Running N hard drives is N times more expensive than running one. Old hard drives are worse in terms of power consumption. If you don't pay for power, then this is irrelevant, but you might someday move somewhere and this could change.


Geez, you created the Fold Server and you don't even know the best part about it. It's not power savings from hard drives. It's the fact that all you have to do is hook the machine up to the network and turn it on. After that, it's up and folding. No configuration or installation on that box or any other one you hook up. You don't have to install an OS or anything. I think that is the main advantage to the fold server.

 
Just my thoughts: I could never get the fold server to work (never tried but I know nothing about Linux).

The Anti Deal I've installed a dozen or so times, in under 2 minutes each install. Less than 20 key strokes (4 lines, config the deal, get the deal, init the deal, start the deal) and it's done.

To each his own. Oldbenwa configed the Fold Server we used, but I could make a box net boot so from that aspect it was all good.

Net booting is way, way cool though.

Having a free OS that I can fold with in minutes it cool too.

Arkaine23- I did try to install Overclockix to a hard drive once, that did not work out for me. I did not try too hard, and am clueless when is comes to Linux for what that's worth. I really did like the desktop on the previous verison though.

As for power saving- I dunno. Just being so darn moron proof (read me) and free is cool for me. This 256 meg ram limit from Stanford blows but anyways...

But a UPS, that's funny!!!
 
I also tried installing Overclockix on my current main system (a dually PII with a Voodoo 3 PCI for some mad gaming goodness) and it didn't work out very well either. I don't know if it didn't like my hardware or what but I had some trouble with it. More than likely the problem was me since I know jack about Linux.

I will say that the desktop on the version I messed around with was really nice and it looked good overall. I may break it out again one of these days just to mess with it some more. Preferably on a system with some better specs, though.

Once I get some things setup, I will be looking forward to messing with anti-fold since the hard drive requirements are just about right for the few hard drives I have laying around. It will also help if I can't find some extra DIMMs laying around also. It's bad enough that I think I'm going to take the PC 100 out of my mom's machine to use in a couple of crappers. She can't complain too much, though, I'm putting a 256 meg stick of DDR in hers (I still like the ECS K7S5A).

 
unhappy_mage said:
The best way to solve this is to run FAH as the user who's sharing stuff over samba. I'll work on making this change tonight.

Thanks for the patience, guys.


*bump*

Know your busy, but has the newest iso (with above fix) been uploaded? Going to try this on one box tonight (duelly :) ) and if all goes well going to put it on another box (second box is naked dually :) )

 
It hasn't been uploaded yet; I had a *lot* of work hours between last post and this (Between the 11th and today, I worked 43 hours...) so I've mostly made the change, IIRC, but haven't had time to finish up until now.

Oh that's right, I don't have sudo. I'll build it and then it'll be ready shortly.
Translation: Hold on to your horses. I'm a'goin.

 
Thanks! :)

No rush.


I'm playing around with the current version, so far so good... just trying to firgure out login/password though.
 
login: "root"
password: "Fold@on"
No quotes. I'm working on sudo still; it takes a lot of external libraries and stuff (PAM authentication) and I'm more or less guessing at what needs to be present and what doesn't. I'll get it eventually...

 
I'm playing with this now, and one thing I noticed is that it starts 10 clients!

This is a dual proc system, but 10 clients seems like overkill.


Also what is the /foldsave directory used for?

I gold /fold/1 and /fold/2. EM picks both of those up...just weird that it shows 10 clients running:

1047 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1051 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1082 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1083 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1084 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1085 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1086 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1087 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1088 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1091 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm



everything:

~ # ps -ef | grep -i fah
1047 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1051 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1082 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1083 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1084 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1085 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1086 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1087 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1088 root 772 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1089 root 484 S sh -c ./FahCore_79.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpo
1090 root 19696 S N ./FahCore_79.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15
1091 root 1252 S /fold/FAHclient.exe -forceasm
1092 root 484 S sh -c ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpo
1093 root 3256 S N ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpoint 15
1094 root 3256 S N ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpoint 15
1095 root 3256 R N ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpoint 15
1096 root 3256 S N ./FahCore_82.exe -dir work/ -suffix 02 -checkpoint 15
1097 root 19696 S N ./FahCore_79.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15
1098 root 19696 R N ./FahCore_79.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15
1099 root 19696 S N ./FahCore_79.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -checkpoint 15
 
looks like only 2 of them are using CPU though. Are those just threads of 2 FAH running?
 
budec said:
looks like only 2 of them are using CPU though. Are those just threads of 2 FAH running?

run back though this thread, FAH on linux does some wierd ass crap where it lists 5 things per one running. They have a thread about this over at the offical forums, me too lazy to find it. I think it might be linked in this thread too.

My guess, it's working (and it's very hard for me to say this about mage)

:D
 
Yeah, you will see several of them seeming running but if you run busybox, only one will show to be active and taking cpu cycles.
 
marty9876 said:
run back though this thread, FAH on linux does some wierd ass crap where it lists 5 things per one running. They have a thread about this over at the offical forums, me too lazy to find it. I think it might be linked in this thread too.

My guess, it's working (and it's very hard for me to say this about mage)

:D
QFT

If you run "top" it'll show a list of what's using how much. Memory, CPU, etc.

Still working on sudo. sudo needs an entire PAM suite installed, so it takes a lot of other stuff. There's a thread in the Linux forum if you know anything about this stuff.

 
Sudo lets you run processes as specific users. What this means is that I'll have FAH run as a seperate "fold" account, and have samba run as the same account. What this means is that there won't be external root access to the system, but there will still be a method of getting to the share for EM3 with proper permissions.

Right now everything runs as root, which is a Bad Idea. It means that the security is pretty lax. If someone can log in at all, they can do anything. So, I'm trying to "seperate church and state" a little.

 
Why sudo at all? Why not just create a user called "fold" and login, run F@H as that user and have "fold" own the /fold directory (and samba shares it out as guest).


Also how hard would it be to give the option between DHCP or static IP?
 
That's what sudo does. Unless you want to log in manually every time, and then run FAH manually...

Wait a minute - if I set the fold user's login script to start FAH, then all I need is su! That just might work...

WRT static IPs, I'll have to work on it. It's on my list, but I'm not working on it.

 
unhappy_mage said:
That's what sudo does. Unless you want to log in manually every time, and then run FAH manually...

Wait a minute - if I set the fold user's login script to start FAH, then all I need is su! That just might work...

the only problem I see with that is if you log in manually to the 'fold' account (to check something, ssh, etc) then it would fire off, unless there was a check in the script that checked to see if it's running before starting it up. I think you already do that with a PID file?

WRT static IPs, I'll have to work on it. It's on my list, but I'm not working on it.

What's WRT mean?





 
For right now. I still haven't figured out sudo, so I may have to abandon that idea for now. Also, my website (filefarmer) is still not allowing me to upload anything, so both this and the FAH installer are on hold.

 
Mage!! Can't you just use su -c in your script? In my fold services on Overclockix, I always launch folding with-

chown -R user:user /the/fold/directory
cd /the/folding/directory
su -c "./FAHConsole -max -pwnage -flags > /dev/null &" user


So while root launches my fold service as part of init, it is launching the folding client under some user's credentials. No need for sudo. For while root su's * ls well with the /world.
 
Back
Top