Terraria

I'd like to see a gamemode where it's just a dynamically generated dungeon with random enemies of semi-random difficulty, and then a boss fight at the end for epic lootz.

I've gotten kind of bored with the world after beating all the bosses and stuff. Pretty much have all the good items so there's nothing left to farm.

I'm not sure in fullscreen mode, but in window mode, which you can expand to whatever you want, you could have it fill the screen. The only thing is that you'd see the edge of the program window. I usually play in window mode at a size close to 1920x1080 on my 1920x1200 screen.

Last edited:
1.0.4 is out!

Changelog:
Items

Added Feature! - Social Slots. All normal armor and vanity items can be placed here to use their graphical appearance in place of equipped gear without overriding their stat gains.
New Vanity Items - Tuxedo Shirt and Pants
New Vanity Items - Plumber Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Items - Hero Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item - Bunny Hood
New Vanity Item - Fish Bowl
New Vanity Item - Top Hat
New Vanity Items - Archaeologist's Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item - Ninja Outfit.
New Vanity Item - Red Hat.
New Vanity Item - Summer Hat
New Vanity Item - Robe
New Vanity Item - Robot Hat
New Vanity Item - Gold Crown
New Item - Leather
New Item - Green Dye
New Item - Black Dye
You can now wear the Jungle Rose in your hair.
The Water Candle’s enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held
Some items that were missing ‘lore text’ in their tool-tips now have them.(Breathing Reed,Grappling Hook Jungle Rose.)
Ammo items are now listed as Ammo in their tool-tip and Equipable Items that offer no stat bonus list as Vanity Items in their tool-tip. Items used in any recipe now list as Materials, in their tool-tip.
The Magic Hat now offers 2 Defense to its wearer and the Empty Bucket now offers 1 Defense to its wearer.
Dungeon Blocks now require at least a Nightmare Pick to mine, unless they are near the spawn location, where they can be mined by any pick.
Phoenix Blaster has had a reduction of stats to balance better with other items of its tier.
Gem, Mushroom and Bottle sell values have been reduced.
Hell Forges above the rock layer can be moved with any hammer, but below require a 60% power hammer or stronger.
Angel Statues are now more rare of a find.

NPCs

New NPC - Bunny
New NPC - Goldfish (Is also an Item)
New Enemy - Corrupt Bunny
New Enemy - Corrupt Goldfish
New Enemy - Piranha
New Enemy - Harpy
New Random Mini- Boss - King Slime
New Enemy - Bat
New Enemy - Jungle Bat
New Enemy - Jungle Slime
New Enemy - Snatcher
New Rare Enemy - Dr. Bones
New Rare Enemy - The Groom
New NPC - A Clothier will now move into your town when the conditions are met.
Enemy spawn distance has been pushed back to the maximum resolution to ensure that they will never spawn on the screen.
Enemy spawn rates have been adjusted to account for the increased spawn distance.
Enemy projectiles no longer drop hearts or stars when killed by the player.
The Eater of Worlds now has Higher HP, Def and Dmg, making battling him more difficult.
Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
The Dead Miner is now a bit stronger.
Tim’s spawn chance has been reduced.

Player

Players now have 1 second of invulnerability after they spawn.
The eat/drink animation now plays correctly.

World-Gen

Surface Jungle’s are now possible on mud that is on the surface. Jungle trees will auto-grow on their own, as acorns are not usable on the jungle grass.
Chasms are now less frequent to appear, but always have an orb.
Mud now ‘blends’ graphically with dirt, rather than stone to add for a more crisp look in Jungles.
Jungle plants now grow underwater.

Multiplayer

Increased client side security.
Selecting summon items will no longer cause monsters to summon.
Players with a name over 20 characters will now get booted from the server.
Added some minor anti-grief protection.
Fixed a bug that would cause the client to attempt to summon an NPC during a multiplayer game and crash.
Added the -host command line parameter to the client.

Server

Improved server timing, which should help reduce lag.
Added several new command line and config options. These are listed in serverconfig.txt
Servers will now output to crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.
Clients will now output to client-crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.

Misc.

Screen resolutions now have limits of 800x600 minimum and 1920x1200 maximum.
Added an option that will pause the game while talking to an NPC or opening your inventory in single player. It defaults to off.
Added an option to automatically save the world every 10 minutes. Defaults to on.
Added a prompt to load a world backup if the current world is corrupt.
Added a check to determine if a world file was loaded successfully.
Attempting to Launch the game from the Terraria.exe, will now inform you to launch via Steam rather then doing nothing at all with no indication of why.
Backing out of the port selection screen now plays the correct sound.
Setting options now correctly align with the center of the screen in all resolutions.
The settings menu has been reorganized. All video related options have their own menu
The “Tink” sound now has a more dull sound.
The Re-Logic splash screen, now scales correctly in other resolutions.

Maybe there is one and I'm missing something, but I wish there was a quick-use button for the inventory bar... specifically, for potions. It's annoying being in the middle of a boss battle and having to scroll over, click the mouse, and then scroll back to a weapon in order to use a potion.

When it comes to potions, all you really have to do is hit the number of the slot it's in (1 - 10) and click the mouse to consume, then hit the button of your weapon and continue. It's not quite as fast as just hitting the button, but it beats having to stop & click on it or scroll to it.

I must say, cave bats are annoying as hell and they hit for a ton... I need more armor to go that deep.

I wonder if / when he plans on adding desert plants such as cacti & creatures such as scorpions.

I wonder if / when he plans on adding desert plants such as cacti & creatures such as scorpions.

this was in the news after 1.0.4 released:

What's Next?
Now that we have released 1.0.4, we find ourselves already looking to 1.0.5 with many ideas we couldn't squeeze into 1.0.4 quite so readily. Going forward we face our first attempt at adding end level content to the game to make it longer. To do so, we are looking to better balance mid and end level game content as it is now. Many of you have already offered your thoughts in "Redigit's Balance MegaThread", and we are liking some of the input we are seeing.

Our focus on 1.0.5 (on top of balance, and starting to lay groundwork for end level content.) will also be looking to add some more content to the final two empty areas of the game. The Desert itself may get a few new things in it. Of course, because it can spawn near the start area sometimes, and is required to be passed through many of the times you are trying to get to mid-higher level areas, the desert itself will most likely remain a low to mid level area. So the Desert is not an option for our end level additions.
The Ocean at the end of the world, may or may not get some content as well in 1.0.5. We are hoping to add more 'depth' (pun ) to it. Perhaps the ocean will find itself with some high level content, as it is always far from spawn.

Also we are aiming more for something in the underworld in the way of high level content. As that part of the game could use more content in general, and is fairly difficult in its own right.
We will be tossing ideas around the team until we find something that fits just right. We are also looking into the things Redigit mentioned in his last Dev Blog post. Such as worlds you can start up that are harder than a normal world. These additions may be staggered and added in pieces over a few updates since the addition of a whole new more difficult world would be like making another version of Terraria. New Biomes, new enemies, theres a lot that we could put in there, but it all takes time.

Incredible how these guy can spew out content on a weekly basis

what's the link to the dev blog? or is it on the main site (which is blocked for me at work :rolleyes:)

The blog is kept on the official forums:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/forums/dev-blog.26/

Still waiting for the tmod to level out before I update my server, they're going through a morger with another server; might end up being pretty good in the end, but it's still a rough road. Everything is still running, but don't drop any of the new items as they'll likely corrupt and turn into something strange like money.

new dev blog post there yesterday talking about # of players as well as some new 1.0.5 stuff

looking forward to it

picked it up for me n the wife. for a $10 game, theres a lot to do. my wife likes to make pretty houses, gardens, farms, and stone mining tunnels lol. time consuming game...

great game!

ps:farming under world is a pain ><

Picked it up after watching a "Let's Play" with Red and Blue, really addicting game so far. I got real excited when I found a chest with a magic boomerang in it! haha.

So is it just me or is Hell in this game absolutely bugged the fuck out right now? When I go down there, at least 5 imps and 5 bone serpents are consistently present, no matter how many I kill. Completely impossible to mine, even if I get to a position where imps won't spawn, because I have 5+ serpents nonstop

Yep, that's what makes it so hard to mine hellstone and why those are the top weapons right now. What I found works is you find a spot where you can dig down and dig straight down. If you manage to go down enough and the sides are full of blocks (you have to find a lucky spot), the imps can't spawn close to you.

Mine straight down without leaving ledges and you wont have to worry about the imps. Also if you keep your pick going you can block most of the fireballs. The only issue with your deep mining pits are the bone serpents, but if you have a flail or a good wep you should be able to kill them without too much difficulty. When deep enough you can actually get a lot of peaceful momments down there.

So is it just me or is Hell in this game absolutely bugged the fuck out right now? When I go down there, at least 5 imps and 5 bone serpents are consistently present, no matter how many I kill. Completely impossible to mine, even if I get to a position where imps won't spawn, because I have 5+ serpents nonstop

The last update both fixed & increased the spawn rate of all creatures. With the previous update that added the ability to resize the window & play in higher resolutions, the creature spawn rate was incredibly low playing on a large window because creatures would only spawn in off screen so it was kind of buggy, from what I remember reading. I also believe they did up the base spawn rate for everything too, which makes it even tougher than it originally was. I know in the one MP world I made for me and my buddies, there's so many more zombies & slimes than there were even in the original release version.

Also, the problem I'm having in my main world is that the few places where I've dug straight down, the hell layer has a huge open ceiling so it's one giant open cavern at the top of the layer. In fact, it seems that almost all of the underground is full of caverns, there's very few large chunks of solid material.

Best.Game.Ever

I wish notch would hurry up and incorperate some of the adventuring elements from terreria into minecraft. Minecraft is a great game, but it gets dull really fast. There is no real reason to keep playing it... no end game nor goals, so to speak (outside of making 'X" building)

hijacker!! (jk)
yeah, that's why I stopped playing minecraft. He's adding all kinds of neat stuff like levers and whatever, but I far too creative-impaired to make use of it. So really there's nothing for me to do after a while.

In Terraria, at least I can shoot for better weapons and kill bosses.

Mine straight down without leaving ledges and you wont have to worry about the imps. Also if you keep your pick going you can block most of the fireballs. The only issue with your deep mining pits are the bone serpents, but if you have a flail or a good wep you should be able to kill them without too much difficulty. When deep enough you can actually get a lot of peaceful momments down there.

I mined down last night and every time I killed a bone serpent it would instantly be replaced. I'm serious, at least 5 bone serpents up at all times. I killed at least 10 fucking serpents, it was nonstop bone serpent spam and 100% of my time focused on killing and potioning. This has to be a bug.

Best.Game.Ever

I wish notch would hurry up and incorperate some of the adventuring elements from terreria into minecraft. Minecraft is a great game, but it gets dull really fast. There is no real reason to keep playing it... no end game nor goals, so to speak (outside of making 'X" building)

Agreed, but in fairness I've more or less gotten bored of Terraria as well, having gotten almost every rare item and defeated every boss more than once. I think it might extend the life of Terraria if there was more randomly generated content, like bosses that have varying amounts of life and more frequent random encounters like the goblin invasion.

1.0.5 update is out! that was quick:D

NPCs

&#9679; 8 New Enemies, find them!
&#9679; Changed the way worm enemies spawn.
&#9679; Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water
&#9679; Slimes now float in water.
&#9679; Only one giant slime will appear at a time.
&#9679; The Guide now seems quite knowledgeable in what an item can be made into if you show it to him.
&#9679; NPC shops now sell some items on certain nights, or after certain events.
&#9679; Devourers should no longer gain random other enemies as its head.
&#9679; The Nurse now charges the correct amount for healing.
&#9679; Bats now have a death sound effect.
&#9679; Talking to the old man at night will give the player a warning now before summoning the dungeon boss.
&#9679; Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.
&#9679; Enemy coin drops have been adjusted.
&#9679; Man Eaters and Snatchers are no longer effected by knockback and can attack through walls.
&#9679; Eater of Souls’ and Hornet AI has been improved.
&#9679; Enemies now take up different amount of *slots* depending on AI style and strength. This will help balance conditions when there are lots of strong monsters spawned at once, such as Imps and Bone Serpents.
&#9679; Fish are no longer upside-down when out of water.
&#9679; Green slimes have been weakend so that start players can deal with them more easily.
&#9679; Slimes and Flying enemies no longer make a splash sound when hitting water.
&#9679; Items of “Blue Rarity” or higher no longer burn up in lava.
&#9679; Burning Skull has been renamed to Cursed Skull, and given different AI.
&#9679; Enemy caster’s have had their rate of fire slowed down.
&#9679; Meteor heads have less health, do more damage, and move slower.
&#9679; There are now slight size variations to the Eater of Souls and the Angry Bones.
&#9679; Skeletron has less defense and health.

Items

&#9679; New Feature : Buffs activated by Using Potions. Right click a buff to remove it from yourself.
&#9679; Over 50 new items!
&#9679; The Silver Short swords recipe has been corrected, it is now craftable.
&#9679; Torches and candles no longer work when wet.
&#9679; Destroying a placed sign while you are reading it will no longer cause your character to become frozen.
&#9679; Rocket boots no longer require mana. They will provide lift for 1 second and recharge every time the player touches the ground or uses grapple. Lift speed has been slightly increased to offset loss of long flights. This makes the boots more viable for caster Characters.
&#9679; The explosion animation for bombs is now correctly displayed in multiplayer.
&#9679; There is now a message pop-up when the player receives an item.
&#9679; Filled Buckets may no longer be emptied into solid ground.
&#9679; Pots in the underworld now have a chance to drop new items
&#9679; Handgun and Phoenix Blaster have been reduced in size.
&#9679; Lowered the knockback of Muramasa.
&#9679; Reduced the damage of the Blue Moon.
&#9679; Flintlock Pistol and Musket have increased damage.
&#9679; Only normal trees drop acorns.
&#9679; Falling sand clumps are no longer carried by magic missiles/flamelash.
&#9679; Jungle armor is no longer a drop. It is a craftable set.
&#9679; Magic Mirror now requires mana to be used.
&#9679; Harpoon and Maces now correctly show the player’s arm animation.
&#9679; The arms dealer will sell unholy arrows at night after the Eater of Worlds has been defeated.
&#9679; Space Gun does more damage, but only penetrates 2 enemies.

Server

&#9679; Spam detection is less aggressive.
&#9679; Increase multiplayer security.
&#9679; Fixed a bug that could crash the server when the max amount of clients are connected.
&#9679; Added an option to enable additional cheat protection for servers.
&#9679; Servers now hibernate when no players are connected.
&#9679; Blood Moons now stop correctly if time is changed to day by the server.

Misc

&#9679; Corrected some spelling and grammar mistakes.
&#9679; Lighting code has been optimized to increase performance.
&#9679; Mud and ash now have a chance to fall like sand when struck.
&#9679; World update rate has been reduced slightly.
&#9679; Water now evaporates when it reaches the underworld.
&#9679; Slowed the rate of plant growth.
&#9679; Hardcore is now an option when creating a new player. Hardcore players are gone for good after dying.
&#9679; The Jungle now has its own music track.
&#9679; Vines that refused to grow longer than 1 tile in length while underwater, will now grow correctly.
&#9679; Pot graphic was brightened to make it more visible.
&#9679; Plants growing out of a clay pot can no longer be cut with a weapon. The new alchemy plants can be grown in these pots.
&#9679;Gems, ore, and gold chests now have a sparkle effect.
&#9679; Giant glowing mushrooms will now grow back over time.
&#9679; The player now starts out with a copper shortsword.
&#9679; Dungeon bricks and walls have had their brightness reduced.

Game Interface

&#9679; Upon death, A more specific death message will appear for other players, so they know how you died.
&#9679; The crafting and armor interface text will fade out when an item tooltip is in front of it.
&#9679; The Hot Bar now shows the name of the selected item.
&#9679; PVP now requires 5 seconds between Activation and Deactivation and visa versa to prevent PVP spam. The same cooldown is in effect for Team Changing as well.
&#9679; Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions.The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Top-Left most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
&#9679; Holding right click on an empty space in the inventory will no longer make a sound effect as if something was there to be picked up.
&#9679; Defense totals are now shown in your inventory.

World Gen

&#9679; Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Oceans are now slightly larger and generation layout has been improved. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Cactus now grow on sand.
&#9679; Coral now grows in the ocean.
&#9679; Chests can now spawn near the surface of the world. They will contain treasure that new players may find useful. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Chests and pots now contain loot based on the level they spawn in. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Corrupt chasms have less of a chance to spawn on jungles. They also now have a cave connecting most of the chasms. (Requires new world.
&#9679; Traces of demonite are created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
&#9679; Surface jungles have been enlarged, and will override deserts. (Requires new world.)

1.0.5 update is out! that was quick:D

Nice! was kinda hoping it was soon since the site was down all yesterday - but I guess that was the entire curse network.

think I'm gonna fire up the server tonight with a friend and start new characters.

They need to upload saves to the steam cloud. My game crashed and it 100% nuked my character's save file.

Theres no immersion in this game - I doubt there will ever be. I've helped beta this game and did not enjoy it. It felt very fake and very plastic.

Minecraft is top because it has realism and immersive gameplay - this stole the spirit and turned it into an easy cash-cow that they think the kids will all jump on.

I played Minecraft with a friend for about twenty minutes. That was about the maximum amount of time I could tolerate such a poor excuse for a game. This actually looks somewhat interesting although I'll probably never play it.

I like minecraft better. This one too 2d.

I like Terraria better. Minecraft is way too 3D. The effects of the parallax backgrounds in Terraria is top-notch, and is enough 3D for my taste.

On another note, I think I've already spent more time playing Terraria than I ever have playing Minecraft in the year that I've owned it. I played Minecraft pretty hard for a week or so, then put it down because once the novelty wears off, the only thing left to do is build stuff, and that just gets boring after a while.

"Too 2D" LOL. As opposed to a little 2D, or maybe 75% 2D and 25% 3D. :confused:

I don't know...back when the original resident evil/final fantasy games came out with 3d characters on pre rendered background people used to describe them as "2.5D" The same with 3d fighters without sidestep...

Its 2D-ness is the big offput for me...it kind of limites the scale of what you can veiw at once meaning everything is on a small scale.

FYI, it seems like the crafting recipe for meteor shot has been broken.

EDIT: NVM, it now uses up musket balls as well apparently, and you only get 25 out of each bar now.

Yeah, the added stuff in 1.0.5 is great, but they've totally gimped just about every good weapon/armor piece in the game. I guess it makes it more challenging but, in the case of the Rocket Boots for example, it's just annoying.

Also gimping Meteor Shot was alright, but I think it went a little far. I did feel like 100 shots per bar was a little steep considering I have over 100 bars just sitting there...25 per bar is okay, although requiring Musket Balls as well is kind of bullshit IMO. Just forces you to waste money at the Arms Dealer.

Yeah, the added stuff in 1.0.5 is great, but they've totally gimped just about every good weapon/armor piece in the game. I guess it makes it more challenging but, in the case of the Rocket Boots for example, it's just annoying.

Also gimping Meteor Shot was alright, but I think it went a little far. I did feel like 100 shots per bar was a little steep considering I have over 100 bars just sitting there...25 per bar is okay, although requiring Musket Balls as well is kind of bullshit IMO. Just forces you to waste money at the Arms Dealer.

you have a problem with money in the game? I always have a ton

Why bother with meteor bars when you can just buy silver bullets now? No mats requirement, relatively cheap, just wait for a bloodmoon and stock up...

Why bother with meteor bars when you can just buy silver bullets now? No mats requirement, relatively cheap, just wait for a bloodmoon and stock up...

Meteor shot is still 1 extra damage I think (not that it really matters much.)

Back