Terraria

I've seen the vids from this in beta, honestly it looks like a poor mans minecraft.

Except it looks like it actually has a point to the game...Dont get me wrong, I love Minecraft for what it is. This seems a little different to me. Anyways, I bought a 4 pack...

Theres no immersion in this game - I doubt there will ever be. I've helped beta this game and did not enjoy it. It felt very fake and very plastic.

Minecraft is top because it has realism and immersive gameplay - this stole the spirit and turned it into an easy cash-cow that they think the kids will all jump on.

Bought this game last night and played with a friend, before we knew it 5 hours had gone by. It's pretty fun if you like the sort of minecraft genre game. Build houses, find loot, kill mobs, search for caves/dungeons, find treasure chests, etc etc.

It's like an action RPG 2D side scroller. Graphics are like FF3 (lol) but that doesn't bother me at all. There is alot of stuff to do in game. There's even boss NPCS!

I have not played it but it does look like a poor mans minecraft. Please do not misunderstand me, minecraft was copied from other games but it did add something. To me this really looks like Minecraft 2d. Just sayin........

If you enjoy it thats great but for me it does not really add anything over Minecraft to make it worth it .

For the people that play Minecraft I can see them not liking this. Looks good to me though

I bought it yesterday and played it for a few hours. It's fun but this game is very low budget. The total game size is 16mb, graphics are from the snes era, no ability to set your resolution, and the game so far plays a lot like Minecraft but in 2d. I haven't gotten far enough in the game to experience the fun stuff yet.

This game is minecraft but you get bored of it after a few minutes instead of a few weeks!

Really can't get into it.

$10 is too much for this, slap a $2.99, maybe $3.99 and it might be worth it.

I LOVE THIS GAME! Maybe I should play Minecraft then. It's a ton of fun though. It took me a little bit to get going, so I can see where people might not get into it after a short time. Once I started going deeper though, and actually building some cool structures, it got really fun. That's on my own too. I bought a four pack, so my friends can start playing with me. (now I've got to check out MC too, as I never paid much attention)

Edit: Now I feel silly for ignoring MC. Must have that too! I do like the 2D aesthetic though of Terraria. (into that sort of thing)

Is anyone here at HARD running a 24/7 server. I want to play with other people.

I'm considering it actually. I had so much fun alone last night, that I'd love to get more people in it. I'll see what I can do tonight.

This looks a millions times better than minecraft. So many different level types, character types, and bosses... oh my...

The only way I've got a multiplayer server to work is create a server while having a hamachi server up. Have your friend join your hamachi server and then put in the IP. I had to have two instances of Terraria running one for server and one to connect to the server to get it to work.

I would probably be down to buy a copy from someone with an extra from a 4-pack if anyone is interested.

I think they're working on a stand-alone server. (read that somewhere) However, in the meantime, you do need to have two instances running if you're serving. Some people seem to prefer Hamachi. I read that you need to forward port 31337 :D for TCP only (leave UDP out.) I'll be experimenting tonight. (also read that the 8 player cap will be removed at some point.) :)

I think they're working on a stand-alone server. (read that somewhere) However, in the meantime, you do need to have two instances running if you're serving. Some people seem to prefer Hamachi. I read that you need to forward port 31337 :D for TCP only (leave UDP out.) I'll be experimenting tonight. (also read that the 8 player cap will be removed at some point.) :)

Let me know what you find! I'm ready to roll!

let me know you jerk :). I dont use hamchi so a pure ip would be best for me.

I don't use it anymore either. Anything to avoid extra layers of things for me. I don't think I'll have any trouble just forwarding a port. I've got an i7 system that I'm not really using for much right now, so I'll start an instance there (bought a four pack and kept two for my two Steam accounts :D ) and set up a big world. I probably won't be on there until around 7 or 8 PST. I'll stick a post in here when I've got things running.

Ok let me know and Ill jump in tonight for sure. BTW I dont know how to play this game at all.

Let me know that server info too. I would love to do some multi-player.

As to it being minecraft... This game has far more depth of character development than Minecraft. Yes, it is clearly inspired by Minecraft, but it takes the character WAY further. For instance, you can basically build up a small town full of NPCs and get tons better gear. There are also basically boss mobs, and goblins and stuff eventually show up and attack your town.

Minecraft is a building game. This is a building game + RPG.

Bought it last night and already played a few hours. My friend has a dedi server up that I play on with him and his friends.

It gets very in depth.

I will able to jump in at 9pm PST. I am in Arizona. Ill check back here for server info.

I've PMed two of you with information, and will PM you Arentol. I'm going to be hosting this for a few days while I figure out which computer it will sit on, how many instances (I have 8 licenses) :D etc. It's pw protected for now, but I'll open it up once I've got things situated.

Sorry I only got to play for a few. Had unexpected company. I'll try to build a proper house to build things, and hide from monsters in, until some proper weaponry is available. It's still up, so I'll see what I can do with what's there.

It was fun playing with others even if it was for a few. I setup my own world after you left and ended up playing for a few more hours. Good Stuff.

Back