Summer farm shutdowns...

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
I looked at the temperatures of my folding systems earlier today and noticed that the 9800GX2 is running at around 90C on both cores already, with the Q6600s at around 60C per core. Once the 9800GX2 reaches ~95C I'll shut it down, the Q6600s at around 75C or so. If I had better cooling for the CPUs I could keep folding longer, but alas. The 9800GX2 doesn't even have alternative cooling solutions AFAIK, so I'm screwed there.

What do your summer plans look like? :)

no shutting down here due to heat, cranking the AC down, suffering the power bill consequences.

Last summer power bills got over $400 for about three months there. Going into this summer much more power and heat efficient, mostly SMP folding with only minimal GPU folding. Hopefully the power bills will be lower this time around.

Last edited:
Yup, summer-like weather has already visited my region. A few of my GPU clients are going to be in trouble when the real summer gets here, if left overclocked. Might just have to run a stock speeds [what fun is that?] and duct-tape a full-sized window fan to my side of my cases.:D

My office is A/C temp controlled by the school I work at, and they know I run a server farm here, so there will be no shutting down my rigs or anything, room is to stay at a nice cool 70F.

I looked at the temperatures of my folding systems earlier today and noticed that the 9800GX2 is running at around 90C on both cores already, with the Q6600s at around 60C per core. Once the 9800GX2 reaches ~95C I'll shut it down, the Q6600s at around 75C or so. If I had better cooling for the CPUs I could keep folding longer, but alas. The 9800GX2 doesn't even have alternative cooling solutions AFAIK, so I'm screwed there.

theres alternate cooling solutions for the 9800GX2.. but its a pain in the ass to do.. and takes up half the case as well :p

Yup, summer-like weather has already visited my region. A few of my GPU clients are going to be in trouble when the real summer gets here, if left overclocked. Might just have to run a stock speeds [what fun is that?] and duct-tape a full-sized window fan to my side of my cases.:D

well so far the hottest its gotten here was 82 degrees.. so im expecting another cold summer like last year where it only broke 100 degrees 6 days during the summer which is insanely low.. 5 years ago we avged 36 days of 100+ temps during the summer.. and since then its continually dropped..

No shutting down, no AC :)
The trick is to separate them so the heat doesn't get suffocating for you or the rigs (most important :D).
I keep my 4 x 9800gx2 in my storage room with a wireless dongle, naked with lots of fans. Last summer they were at 85C+, but I think I improved the cooling by moving a fan at the back, they'll stay at ~80C.

Im not shutting down here.

100F heat wont stop me :D

At my house its actually cheaper for me to run the A/C than it is to run the Heat :eek:

I don't have much hardware, but i won't be shutting anything down. I have ground-source heat and cooling, so my AC costs will be minor since I have a 50-60 degree heat sink all summer. If someone has a spare i7 laying around I might try to build a dedicated folder since my electric rates are only $.08/kw-h

In my experience, there's always room for improvement. If the temps get too high with your components, find better cooling or improve the environment your systems operate in, including the interior environment of the case. Something as simple as removing side panels, replacing fans, lowering OCs, etc., can make a difference if done right. On the hottest days, turn off a few of the clients producing the most heat like the GPUs. Others mentioned positioning systems strategically around the premises. I completely agree this is one of the best things one can do and it's free.

Just turning the overclocks down a bit on 9800GX2.
Just looked and the GPUs where running 103C, which seems a bit high:D
Im [H]ard and all but I would like to have this card last more than a couple of months.
Turned it back to stock speeds, temps run a bit cooler at 96-97C

I'm with Apollo on this, there is many things that can be done. Myself, I built a room in the basement just for folding. It's gotten up to 85 outside already, topped at 70 inside so far. I plan to enhance on this by putting two exhaust fans at the top of the wall where the server rack is, and have more fans pulling cold air in from the basement floor in the pantry and storage areas, the two coldest areas left. That and I'll be running stock on my GPU's, which are naked by the way, that helps, and I've got 120mm fans Jerry rigged to pretty much blow right over them. Only thing left to do is switch some mobo's around, but since I'm now down to only 3 GPUs left, I feel summer will be much easier on me this year than last

plus I've put thousands into new windows and insulation, so hopefully I'll keep as much of the heat out as I can

O ya, and the lady friend is gonna be gone all summer, and Uncle Sam loves hot places, so I doubt I'll even use the AC, I'm used to the heat. Shit, Ill be out of state a month so I'll just crank up every fan I have and cross my fingers!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Current plans are to leave everything as-is throughout the summer. I'll see how things are and if it gets too hot, I'll shut down a GPU or two.

As for the CPU, there's no reason to shut down a Q6600 if it gets to 75C. Under load, my Q9550 typically runs at around 70C and has been that way since I put this machine together. I wouldn't get worried unless you start getting into the high 80s.

I'm thinking H2O myself, with a giant pump and a car radiator stuffed in a freezer... :)

Actually, the overall house temperature is probably worse now than it will be in the dead of summer with the A/C blasting. I'll prbably just try to get some floor fans that I can stick in front of my rack, which I really need anyway. Downsizing from 3 I7's to 1 SR-2 rig would help also...

I've already had to lower my OC and reduce smp to 6 cores :(

thankfully i just have the farm at work :D

I live in TX where it is already in the 80's. The 9800GX2's will likely be shut down in the next 30 days or so. I am considering putting one up for Kendrak's contest and selling the other two. I will be moving to BigAdv only (except in Sig Rig which will still have 3 x GTX285's). My GX2's are already starting to run hot and soon our lows will be in the 70's and keeping the window open at night will not be an option.

I did run everything full bore last year during the summer, but my AC costs were thru the roof. My wife has informed me that that will not happen this year :D

I'll actually be adding resources over the summer. :)

Same, most of my parts fo my next i7 rig are here.

I'm only running 2 GPUs (I guess I should fire up the 9800gx2 for the next month before it goes to the winner)

I've made the transition to a mostly SMP farm. That and a cool basement helps a bunch.

I will probably switch to cpu only myself (or at least shut off the 260's; the 8800GT does not get hot cause it has an HR-03 GT on it). It's very hard to cool my computer room off especially in the summer; hell it's hard enough to cool off the living room that doesn't contain 2 gpus dumping insane heat into it. :eek: Mobile home (ie metal box), 90+ F outside - not hard to do the math. :( We have central air and it runs from around 9am - 9pm constantly during the summer and just keeps the house around 78; it doesn't cool off until later (11-12midnight).

I would like to keep the 260's going but I don't see any cheap aftermarket cooling for them that also works clearance wise in SLi...any ideas? :(

Last edited:
I will probably switch to cpu only myself (or at least shut off the 260's; the 8800GT does not get hot cause it has an HR-03 GT on it). It's very hard to cool my computer room off especially in the summer; hell it's hard enough to cool off the living room that doesn't contain 2 gpus dumping insane heat into it. :eek: Mobile home (ie metal box), 90+ F outside - not hard to do the math. :( We have central air and it runs from around 9am - 9pm constantly during the summer and just keeps the house around 78; it doesn't cool off until later (11-12midnight).

I would like to keep the 260's going but I don't see any cheap aftermarket cooling for them that also works clearance wise in SLi...any ideas? :(

Open case with lots of additional fans perched around the cards extracting heat. I currently have a 120mm fan pulling air off the top of my 8800gt and 275 coop physx and a 80mm that is taking the air out the back of the 275 and dumping it outside the case.

Living on the island of Jersey we don't have AC but it can still get to 80-90 outside and still be 70 at night, in fact we just hit 74 today and its still April. Still planning on adding another 275 Coop physx card in july and an x6 at the end of may. Is that [H]ard or just mad????:D

I'm switching the whole farm off in about 8 hours time.
I don't trust then to run for 3 months unattended.

Luck ............ :D

Open case with lots of additional fans perched around the cards extracting heat. I currently have a 120mm fan pulling air off the top of my 8800gt and 275 coop physx and a 80mm that is taking the air out the back of the 275 and dumping it outside the case.

It's not intake, trust me. :) I have arguably the best air cooled case for gpus (FT02). ;)

The heat coming off the cards @ load (clients open 24/7), I set the fans to 70% (sometimes higher)....there is a LOT of heat coming out of the backs of those cards. They run warm anyway, I try to keep them under 70c and I crank up the fans accordingly to do so. But double that by having 2 cards...it's just heat, not really anything I can do about it (other than finding some aftermarket air cooling that works with height clearance of SLi). :eek:

I would love to be able to set up a farm in an air conditioned building where I didn't have to pay for electricity like Freaky. It would be sick to know you had a folding server out there that you could remote admin and not have to hear. My summer cooling technique is opening the window and closing the door, I'm not going to be cooling my folding room. I think I'm going water this summer/fall though for the i7 and maybe a gtx 470/HD 5850 or two depending on what goes down GPU3 wise.

theres alternate cooling solutions for the 9800GX2.. but its a pain in the ass to do.. and takes up half the case as well :p
unless you go with water blocks. Although 9800GX2 blocks appear to be holding their value quite well, judging by a quick check on ebay. Probably all the folders keeping the demand up.
well so far the hottest its gotten here was 82 degrees.. so im expecting another cold summer like last year where it only broke 100 degrees 6 days during the summer which is insanely low.. 5 years ago we avged 36 days of 100+ temps during the summer.. and since then its continually dropped..
yea. global warming is a bitch
My summer cooling technique is opening the window and closing the door, I'm not going to be cooling my folding room.
I did that a few summers ago. Closed off the AC vents, opened the window, closed the door. Now nearly all of my farm is in my basement. The problem is, it's all in the finished area of the basement, and my office has got to be 80F as I type this. I'm planning to cut a little hole in the wall of my office behind my desk, then stick the office PC and server on the other side of the wall, in the unfinished area. That way the heat stays in the unfinished area but the kb, mouse, monitor, etc will be in the office

I'm switching the whole farm off in about 8 hours time.
I don't trust then to run for 3 months unattended.

Luck ............ :D

hmm....... maybe its time to try and catch a tiger :cool:

"Eagle powers... come to me! Please!"

ha, a cold front just hit, its gonna be chilly tonight!
you must be in the east?

A cold front already came and went in the midwest. It's in the low 60s tonight and low 80s by tomorrow.

There usually aren't any shutdowns for me. I keep everything going every summer. Sure I might turn off the GPU client on the 8800GT every once in a while if it's getting to around 90F in my room and that in turn gets the 8800GT a bit too warm. The single slot cooler on this 8800GT is damn good, better than most dual slot coolers it seems, but it's not enough with a Q6600 and several other things in the case going at the same time. Hell, it probably would be enough if it actually exhausted outside of the case.

As long as I can keep the house temps around 80-85F, I don't have too much trouble.

That cold front blew through here in Central Cal yesterday and today is still in the 60s. Won't be for much longer for us then its going to be back to 80.

its a measly 50 friggin degrees here in the far east bay.. :(

Yep that cold front hit yesterday in Vegas. I had mistakenly turned of both cpu and gpu clients a few days ago and forgot to turn em back on so I gotta play catch up now. Yay cool weather and open windows.

lol. I have summer all year long. on average day it 29 or 30c. so that not really a problem with me

Back