Steam Winter Sale is LIVE!

My personal experience has been that I need to reactivate with every new OS install regardless of whether or not the same hardware is used.

Yeah, looks like I had an experience that wasn't the norm. It was with the retail edition initially, if that's any help - I just didn't imagine there would have been many changes since then.

got me the crysis pack and SH, great deals and i already beat both crysis games but no longer own em, this is a good opportunity.

Damn it! Two more games to add to my Not Installed Steam list. Crysis Maximum Edition & Shattered Horizon just joined GTA 4 & Assassin's Creed as games I'm waiting for a new PC build to play. My old X2 5000+ @ 3.1 / HD4870 won't satisfy my graphics whoring with those games. I so need a good Job...

Picked up Rome Total War, Max Payne Bundle, Borderlands and L4D.

Was going to grab Bioshock when it was $5 but saw it too late :(

bought crysis, my rig is 2.8ghz core2duo, 6 gigs ram, hd4830, running vista 64. is it going to look/play halfway decent? I know that's a terrible question.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

bought crysis, my rig is 2.8ghz core2duo, 6 gigs ram, hd4830, running vista 64. is it going to look/play halfway decent? I know that's a terrible question.

You'd have to play at lower res and low settings more than likely..

you will have no trouble with mostly high DX9 settings. if you are playing at 1920 then you will need to lower a few more settings to medium of course.

You'd have to play at lower res and low settings more than likely..
low settings? lol. the game isnt that demanding. I can run it at 1440x900 on all medium DX9 settings with a 4200 X2 and 8600gt. only when you run in DX10 all high or especially DX10 very high does it become a complete resource hog.

I like running games at 1920 but I could make an exception. my equipment works well enough for me to not want to upgrade just for this. I can just play the million other steam games I just bought first, then upgrade and play crysis. :)

OMFG are you kidding me? I have windows 7 ultimate and its telling me my OS isnt compatible with Shattered Horizon....any fix for this? lol too funny

OMFG are you kidding me? I have windows 7 ultimate and its telling me my OS isnt compatible with Shattered Horizon....any fix for this? lol too funny

Really? I just pick up Shattered Horizon today, running fine on my windows 7 copy except I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64, not sure if it makes any difference.

this is so silly, this is the second time i am having issues with steam, first bioshock and now this...

i have Win 7 Ultimate 64bit... wow

Running Win7 64 and SH ran perfectly fine. Like I have said before guess I have good luck with not running into problems.

I bought Crysis, Half-Life, & Shattered Horizon. :cool:

yeah, I thought about half-life. I've never played that series and would like to try it. But the graphics are quite dated and I can't see myself playing it. Oh well...

Åndhrimnir;1035126715 said:
yeah, I thought about half-life. I've never played that series and would like to try it. But the graphics are quite dated and I can't see myself playing it. Oh well...

You haven't played the Half-Life series?! I ORDER you to get Half Life Source. I GUARANTEE that you will enjoy it. Then get Half-Life 2, which is the single greatest PC shooter that has ever been made, hands down.

you order me?? I OUTRANK YOU!!

Lol, I'll get to it eventually, but I've already got two dozen new games that need playing.

Åndhrimnir;1035126786 said:
you order me?? I OUTRANK YOU!!

Lol, I'll get to it eventually, but I've already got two dozen new games that need playing.
eventually? the sale ends in the morning. lol. you could just wait on Black Mesa which is a complete remake of the original game on the Source engine. it was supposed to be out by the end of this year but they didnt make their deadline. I think we will see it by summer 2010 thogh.

No issues here on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Well, there's occasionally a bug where it freezes at menus but aside from that it runs and plays beautifully.

eventually? the sale ends in the morning. lol. you could just wait on Black Mesa which is a complete remake of the original game on the Source engine. it was supposed to be out by the end of this year but they didnt make their deadline. I think we will see it by summer 2010 thogh.

Yeah, but you have to experience the original too. Just like I hope nobody would base their opinions on Star Wars by watching only the prequels and not the original trilogy. Not that I'm implying Black Mesa will be bad, I bet that it'll be good and I can't wait for it. ;)

Picked up HL:Source, SF4, Crisis Pack and Shattered Horizons. $31. Not too bad.

Anyone know if you can get different weapons in shattered horizons? How about health refill?

Last edited:
WOOH! SF4, HELLS YES.

And with that, plus the new hard drive, my checking account reserved for frivolous spending is officially drained or at least somewhere in the ten dollar area. lmao

God help me if something shiny comes out tomorrow under 10.

Thought about picking up Crysis Max Edition but I honestly hardly played the first Crysis that much. The graphics were awesome and all but I never could get drawn into the game...

I think I am going to get Shattered Horizons though. For $5, heck, why not?

Anyone know if you can get different weapons in shattered horizons? How about health refill?

You have one gun that doubles as an AR and a Sniper. To go scoped click middle mouse by default. In Sniper mode you fire 10 bullets in one shot, and the recoil is massive but if you see someone floating in a straight line or standing still it's worth it because it does a ton of damage and if you hit their pack or their head I believe it's an instant kill. Don't try it while flying though, it's really hard to pull off a sniper shot while flying, at least in my experience so far. Attach to the ground if you want to be an effective sniper.

You also have 3 grenades and using them effectively is the difference between having a high K/D and low K/D. Use Ice to escape or obscure yourself (it's basically a smoke grenade), EMP to shut down enemy systems (a stun grenade), and MDR to send enemies flying out of control (concussive grenade).

As for health, I don't believe there's anyway to refill it other than that wait, it recharges over time.

are you talking about Crysis? if so all you do is call and get the install limit reset. its stupid but it takes 5 minutes and there is certainly no fee.

Yes but again, why should I have to? I'm a legit paying customer and *I* have to jump through hoops?

Yes but again, why should I have to? I'm a legit paying customer and *I* have to jump through hoops?
well if that bothers you then dont get it. I was just correcting where you made it sound like he had to pay 5 bucks to get fresh installs.

Yeah, but you have to experience the original too. Just like I hope nobody would base their opinions on Star Wars by watching only the prequels and not the original trilogy. Not that I'm implying Black Mesa will be bad, I bet that it'll be good and I can't wait for it. ;)
To experience the original, people should play HL, imo. Or wait for Black Mesa. The hi-def textures from Valve for HL seem better than HL:S and the story is intact.

Well I double dipped...(again)
went back and bought Darwinia+Multiwinia. Figured for $2.99 one of them has got to be good enough.
2 review sites I actually still trust (1up and X-Play) gave Darwinia scores of A and 5/5, respectively...again, guess I can't complain for the price of 3 McChicken's. :D

Starting to think about picking up the HL1 anthology even though I just picked up HL:S for the $2.99. I've played through HL and Opposing Force, but not Blue Shift.

Thought about picking up Crysis Max Edition but I honestly hardly played the first Crysis that much. The graphics were awesome and all but I never could get drawn into the game...
I like Far Cry better straight up. I still go back and play that game from time to time. Crysis was ok, and its worth a buy at this price just for its graphics. But the game itself didn't leave much of an imprint on me one way or the other.

I didn't realize there was a HD texture pack for HL before I bought Source. It's OK as I only paid $2.75 for it though. Went back and purchased the HL Anthology because I never got to play Opposing Force or Blue Shift.

When applying the HD texture pack, which method is preferable?

This: http://www.fileplanet.com/167145/160000/fileinfo/Half-Life---High-Definition-Pack-for-Steam

Or this: http://store.steampowered.com/news/438/

Does it even matter? I clicked the link to apply it through Steam, and it applied nearly instantaneously. With the patch being almost 20MB, I would think it would take some time unless those textures are already built into the Steam version and just not active by default. It did it quick enough that it definitely didn't download that much data. I guess what I'm asking is, why would they make a HD texture pack patch for Steam if the ability to apply the pack was already included?

I know, I know, I gotta play HL eventually. But it will be on sale again and right now I've got tons of stuff to play... Shadowgrounds, Torchlight, Burnout, X2/X3, GRAW, Clear Sky, Crysis, maybe the Mechwarrior TC for Crysis, maybe replay Warhead, mess around with Shattered Horizon, play L4D and TF2 with friends, finish the MW2 Special Ops.... I have way too much on my plate right now.

Some day I will... I promise :)

I had to pick up for Crysis for that price :D
Shattered Horizon is somewhat tempting at that price, but I have way too large of a backlog to justify it.

will crysis look nice on low settings? sorry I'd search or look up videos myself but I'm at a cabin posting on my phone. happy new years ya'll.

Well you wouldn't need low settings but depends on your resolution you'd have to lower settings for sure. That or lower resolution to keep up better quality textures etc.

will crysis look nice on low settings? sorry I'd search or look up videos myself but I'm at a cabin posting on my phone. happy new years ya'll.
low looks like ass but you will be fine on a mix of medium and high DX9 settings at 1920.

I like Far Cry better straight up. I still go back and play that game from time to time. Crysis was ok, and its worth a buy at this price just for its graphics. But the game itself didn't leave much of an imprint on me one way or the other.
If you liked Far Cry better then play it on the CryEngine2 :D
http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=37844

There are low quality mods that look very good and manage to maintain playability. Remember also that there are many ways to play the campaign. If you play stealthily and features like motion blur you can "suffer" with framerates that would normally be unpleasant in other games.

If this is your first play-through, grab the advanced AI mod and consider the advanced phsyics and particle mods. I believe the particle and physics mods are made by Havoksage.

Back