Steam Summer Sale 2011

Doesn't Steam pause your download when you're playing a Steam game?

Sometimes it doesn't...depends on the game. I've had downloads continue despite me playing a game (happened on Friday while I was playing Toki Tori, actually).

Do what I do -- launch your game, then, while the little popup window is still doing it's thing, r-click on the game that's downloading (and has just paused), choose pause download, then immediately do it again and choose resume download.

If I time it just right, I can usually get the download resumed before the other game finished launching. If not, I just alt-tab to keep it going. I REALLY wish there was an option in Steam to turn off automatic pausing. I almost never play MP over the internet, so it doesn't do any favors for me.

Ahh, thanks for the info guys.

I, too, wish there were an option to download while you play SP games that were legit, rather than having to juryrig it.

ArmA2: Combined Operations for $22.50 and the DLC for $5 apiece?

Buy them. Buy them all.

BUY IT NOW.

dragon age ultimate edition for $10 seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

Yes it does and that is why it is taking so long to DL Tropico lol.

Plus the servers are getting thrashed. I just buy w/e game and DL it when I go to sleep.

I just hope they have some good deals today since it's the 4th.

how come Origin isnt doing any deals like this to lure people into using their system?

They have over the last few weeks, but fuck EA.

On Topic: I've been getting off light so far this year, skippin' DA:O since my current system can't run it. I doubt it'll be more expensive in November or December.

I can't even imagine what else Steam is going to throw at us.

I have about a 50 game backlog at the moment and just this sale purchased,

Lead and Gold
Just Cause
Just Cause 2 +DLC
SW: KOTOR
Darksiders
Defense Grid +DLC
Transformers: WfC
Dragon Age Origins

My credit card is like an easy woman when it comes to Steam. It just can't say no.

I've limited myself to buying just a single game a day. :) I have this week off from work, so I'll go along at this leisurely pace.

Been playing Tropico 3: Absolute Power, it's a pretty good game! Those of you who bought it, don't forget you can use [ and ] to cycle through the different types of each building prior to placement. Also, to clear the trees (which jacks up the construction time due to rough terrain) just put down a building, cancel construction, and the trees will remain gone when you replace it. The roads really make this game, that was the big thing missing from 1 and 2, just need a garage at the beginning and end of whatever route you make.

I finally picked up Defense Grid. No idea why I didn't sooner, as it's awesome.

I must be the only person on this forum who doesn't like Torchlight. Third person WoW with no multiplayer... no thanks. Magicka is way more innovative, challenging, and has multiplayer.

Probably old news to most, but I picked up Torchlight hoping it would run on a laptop using some Intel graphics. It did, and had a lot of fun playing a few hours on a rainy Sunday. It even has a netbook setting, though I had no need. Randomly generated maps, nice graphics, and some tech trees make it a solid recommendation for the price.

I got about 50 games for last year summer + holiday sale so I haven't spent much so far, just picked up Transformers + Defense Grid. Currently playing Dragon Age Origin now :D

Fallout New Vegas - $14.99 (-50%)
Doom 3 - $6.24 (-75%)
Bully - $3.75 (-75%)
Singularity - $7.49 (-75%)
Frozen Synapse - $12.49 (-50%)
Ruse - $10.19 (-66%)
Homefront - $24.99 (-50%)
Serious Sam - $7.99 (-80%)
Trine - $1.99 (-90%)
Alpha Protocol - $4.99 (-75%)
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword - $3.74 (-75%)
Bionic Commando - $4.99 (-50%)

Any opinions on todays sales?

I'm kind of interested in Mount and Blade complete pack but not sure if it's worth $14

Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition @ $6.79. Is it worth it? I own the first on PC and while it was fun it was also very repetitive. I'm debating purchasing this but was wondering if dropping $6.79 is worth it.

Im in for:
Fallout Vegas DLC ($2.99 vs $9.99)
Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword ( I still haven't played the others, just the demo)
Should I play Warband without regular M&B? Is Warband an expansion? I was never clear on that.

Homefront and Bionic Commando are on my wishlist, should I bite at this price or wait?
Alpha Protocol any good?
Most of the rest of the games I already have.
If you don't have Trine, get it! Sequal should be coming out soon too.

Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition @ $6.79. Is it worth it? I own the first on PC and while it was fun it was also very repetitive. I'm debating purchasing this but was wondering if dropping $6.79 is worth it.

ACII is so much better and non-repetitive. Keep in mind that you will always have to be connected to the internet to play.

Please answer our Mount and Blade questions, is Warband an expansion?

Is Warband worth getting? that might be the only game I buy today.

I haven't played Serious Sam in years, those were both painfully entertaining games especially if you had 2-3+ people on co-op. I have been curious how the 'HD' release may have improved it, if at all.

Might have to jump on these in preparation of SS3. Decisions, decisions.

Also,
bux59g6124bpha5ny.jpg

Pick up the DLC for Fallout NV and then go get the game at Best Buy for $10. It's a steam game, so the DLC on sale from Steam and the brick and mortar purchase will go together just fine.

I've been waiting for a sale on the DLC for a while, so I'm picking that up. Otherwise, nothing new today.

I bought Fallout NV last night at best buy Im gunna get the DLC for it and Im thinking about serious sam hd and doom I use to love playing the old games.

ACII is so much better and non-repetitive. Keep in mind that you will always have to be connected to the internet to play.

You "only" need be connected to the internet when you first start it up, to clarify; it's been changed from the "always on or we'll kick you out of game" shenanigans that they had it first. Not as bad, but not necessarily ideal.

Im in for:
Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword ( I still haven't played the others, just the demo)
Should I play Warband without regular M&B? Is Warband an expansion? I was never clear on that.
Alpha Protocol any good?
As far as M&B, Warband is everything the vanilla is with added multiplayer, as well as a few other improvements (...maybe the graphics? I can't recall.) But at this point, there's no use in getting the vanilla M&B if Warband's the same price. With Fire and Sword has its own continent (the map in the first two games is the same) and introduces guns. Which, while on horseback, is very much one of those "I randomly got shot in the face by a musket from across the map and died" inducing moments.

Trine for $1.99 doesn't look bad. The demo was fine, but not exactly my thing.

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter for $3.99 isn't too bad. But SS3 is due out this summer.
Doom 3 is actually $4.99. The $6.24 is for Doom 3 + the expansion.

Fallout New Vegas isn't too bad. But I'm sick of that engine. It is buggy as all hell. I'll wait for rage or the next Fallout title.

As much shit as Homefront received, it really isn't THAT bad of a game. But there is no way I would spend $25 on that title. For $10 I might bite. At least it includes the DLC for free that comes out later this month. But I don't see how they could sell that separately for a dying game.

Bionic Commando Rearmed is a remake of the Arcade/NES hit. If you like side scrollers it's a fun game. The Bionic commando title also on sale was fun. But I may be biased since I was a fan of the original. MP was pretty fun too just because it was different, but no one plays that.

You "only" need be connected to the internet when you first start it up, to clarify; it's been changed from the "always on or we'll kick you out of game" shenanigans that they had it first. Not as bad, but not necessarily ideal.

As far as M&B, Warband is everything the vanilla is with added multiplayer, as well as a few other improvements (...maybe the graphics? I can't recall.) But at this point, there's no use in getting the vanilla M&B if Warband's the same price. With Fire and Sword has its own continent (the map in the first two games is the same) and introduces guns. Which, while on horseback, is very much one of those "I randomly got shot in the face by a musket from across the map and died" inducing moments.

Thanks. I already had M&B and Warband from a sale last year, just didn't know which to play first.

- Bully: Fun game, I believe it's worth it.
- Fallout Vegas: $12.50 at D2D 2 weeks ago.
- Homefront: Definitely not worth it
- Alpha Protocol: Mixed reviews, some like some don't
- Singularity: Hell yeh :D
- Trine: Yes?
- Serious Sam: Totally worth it if you like shooting insane waves of enemies.
I just don't know about Ruse, how is this game?

Back