Steam Sale...Jeebus!!!

Bought all 6 of these last night for around $38; also recieved another 4 gift games from a friend (zombie themed casual games like Zombie Shooter etc), so I ended up with 10 games added yesterday.

Only way this sale could get any better would be if any of the new releases went on sale for 50+% off. Would love to see: Dragon Age, MW2, Risen, and a few others go on sale.

Bought the Unreal pack also, When I'm in the mood for 2k4...Installing like 6 CD's is really killer and now I don't have to

I purchased Machinarium-- if you're into adventure games/puzzles, get this game.

Ended up getting Braid, Trine, Jedi Knight Collection, and Titan Quest Gold. Might pick up Osmos tonight too.

Should I pull the trigger on Company of Heroes for 9.99 or $14.99 for the gold pack? The complete pack is $35. Never played it before.

Also, is there any way to have steam install new games on another drive?

Should I pull the trigger on Company of Heroes for 9.99 or $14.99 for the gold pack? The complete pack is $35. Never played it before.

Check this out on "symbolic links." Credit to asyork:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink

They use a steam example towards the end so it's pretty much spelled out how to get it to work. It's written for Vista but hopefully the same for Win 7. Great trick for SSD owners.

If you plan on playing it online and/or with friends, definitely Gold Pack. If you're a solo kind of guy, I can't recommend the expansions all that much unless you really dig the campaigns.

how is titant quest?

im absolutely in love with torchlight , wich is my first game of that type.

Has this been mentioned yet?

# Aspyr Complete Pack - $44.99 (Valued at $187.40)
# Eidos Collector's Pack - $49.99 (Valued at $262.44)
# LucasArts Adventure Pack - $2.49 (75% Off)
# Square Enix Complete Pack - $49.99 (Valued at $90.96)
# Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection - $9.99 (50% Off)
# Telltale Everything Pack - $49.99 (Valued at $191.69)
# Unreal Deal Pack - $13.59 (Valued at $69.95)

That ID and Eidos pack is EXTREMELY tempting..

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2687/

I paid $70 for the ID pack less then a month ago, Yes $23 does make it look really tempting

I wonder if Valve will give me $46 credit if I email them....I think I'll try

Hope you're joking but judging from posting history I see probably not. Well hopefully you have a decent reason and not just a plagued opinion.

Anyways, yea I picked up Stalker. Hopefully some more deals on games I have not played yet come up.

I agree with you. Game has ALWAYS ran great for me on my system. If anyone is a fan of the GTA series pick it up at that great price.

how is titant quest?

Titan quest + Expansion (as well as Sacred 2 btw) are well worth it if you like these type of games!

how is titant quest?

I enjoy it, but prefer to play it with friends. From what I've played, I found that the storyline is all over the place. One minute you're fending off beastmen, then the next you're in a spartan camp staring at King Leonidas. But the gameplay is definitely there; fun stuff.

Awesome, bought defense grid, stalker, and world of goo together for less than $10.

Witcher + Borderlands DLC + Torchlight + Defense Grid + Stalker Clear Sky = $38

I'm set for months and I've only just started Dragon Age! Good grief... :)

Lol I hear ya man! Have fun indeed! :):)

I wonder if Valve will give me $46 credit if I email them....I think I'll try
That's a near impossibility. See if they'll split the difference with you instead (give you $23 back). That's probably 10 times as likely to happen as getting $46 back, though the chance of that happening is still probably well under 1%.

I thought the $5 sale at D2D a while back was much better than this. Most of these deals aren't even deals. Half these games were selling for $5 a few months ago at D2D so why didn't people pick them up then? Even Shift, which is a great game, recently sold for 50% off at D2D - today's special deal at Steam has it at 25% off. I don't get it.

I thought the $5 sale at D2D a while back was much better than this. Most of these deals aren't even deals. Half these games were selling for $5 a few months ago at D2D so why didn't people pick them up then? Even Shift, which is a great game, recently sold for 50% off at D2D - today's special deal at Steam has it at 25% off. I don't get it.

There is something to be said about the accessibility of just purchasing two or three steam sale packs and letting it load all those games for you. I don't know about you, but thats extremely convenient for me.

There is something to be said about the accessibility of just purchasing two or three steam sale packs and letting it load all those games for you. I don't know about you, but thats extremely convenient for me.

Huh?

If you buy a game from D2D all you have to do is press the download button - how is that difficult?

Also, people need to be aware that when you buy a game from D2D you're getting the original files, exactly as they would've been on a DVD. In other words, you never have to download the game again. Steam doesn't even do that.

During the $5 sale I noticed that a lot of people complained about D2D limiting the game to 3 installs - there's a notification when you download a game that you can download it as many times as you want. It's a shame that people decided to spread false information like that.

The other thing that people seem to complain about is patching the game - again, that's just a lame argument... what person is so lazy that they can't bookmark the D2D site and click the download button? It's a bizarre argument?

I just don't see any reason why a person would buy a game like Shift from steam for $38 (supposedly on sale) when they could've bought it 3 weeks ago from D2D for $24. Most, if not all of these games, could've been had for a lot less at D2D. It baffles me why people have got it into their heads that Steam is the only source for digital distribution.

Huh?

If you buy a game from D2D all you have to do is press the download button - how is that difficult?

Also, people need to be aware that when you buy a game from D2D you're getting the original files, exactly as they would've been on a DVD. In other words, you never have to download the game again. Steam doesn't even do that.

During the $5 sale I noticed that a lot of people complained about D2D limiting the game to 3 installs - there's a notification when you download a game that you can download it as many times as you want. It's a shame that people decided to spread false information like that.

The other thing that people seem to complain about is patching the game - again, that's just a lame argument... what person is so lazy that they can't bookmark the D2D site and click the download button? It's a bizarre argument?

I just don't see any reason why a person would buy a game like Shift from steam for $38 (supposedly on sale) when they could've bought it 3 weeks ago from D2D for $24. Most, if not all of these games, could've been had for a lot less at D2D. It baffles me why people have got it into their heads that Steam is the only source for digital distribution.
Dude...you're just pissed because you can't enjoy the sale like the rest of us. Don't hate!!! :p

You do get the original files with Steam, they're just placed in a different location. I tell ya, loading up Steam and seeing all my games there everytime, all the time, and if I reinstall windows I just load up Steam and download.. thats fantastic. Haven't experienced D2D, personally, but I'm a fan of Steam and how they do things.

You do get the original files with Steam, they're just placed in a different location. I tell ya, loading up Steam and seeing all my games there everytime, all the time, and if I reinstall windows I just load up Steam and download.. thats fantastic. Haven't experienced D2D, personally, but I'm a fan of Steam and how they do things.

Okay, so you can open Steam, and there are your games. When I open my games-tab in VISTA, guess what...

^ Don't worry, they're there too ;) But what the games folder doesn't have is all my friends on Steam too, knowing what they're playing, their stats, my stats, playing together, etc.

Back up/mirror your steamapps folder and you never have to download your games again either. I'm set up such that my steamapps folder is synced to another drive, so when I reinstall Windows, all I do is install Steam and copy the folder into the new Steam directory. Easy as cheese.

I just don't see any reason why a person would buy a game like Shift from steam for $38 (supposedly on sale) when they could've bought it 3 weeks ago from D2D for $24.
For me, two reasons: Steam overlay and auto-patching.

Back up/mirror your steamapps folder and you never have to download your games again either. I'm set up such that my steamapps folder is synced to another drive, so when I reinstall Windows, all I do is install Steam and copy the folder into the new Steam directory. Easy as cheese.

For me, two reasons: Steam overlay and auto-patching.

If you're running Windows 7/Vista, you can just create a symbolic link to your alternate drive using "mklink". Even easier. No copying over ;)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-symlinks-in-windows-vista/

Also, along with auto-patching, there is the steam cloud. For the games that support it, it remembers your settings for each game. No matter which way you look at it, you gotta admit-- Steam is superior.

Just got Braid for $2.50 and World of Goo for $5.00

EDIT: "Steam servers are too busy to handle that request, please try again later" :(

Steam is getting hammered to no end. It's insane. :p

I have more games than I'm going to be able to play anytime soon. :D

My Steam folder is about 113GB right now, and destined to be much higher when this stuff is done.

If you're running Windows 7/Vista, you can just create a symbolic link to your alternate drive using "mklink". Even easier. No copying over ;)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-symlinks-in-windows-vista/

Also, along with auto-patching, there is the steam cloud. For the games that support it, it remembers your settings for each game. No matter which way you look at it, you gotta admit-- Steam is superior.

Dude I had no idea you could do that with Steam...that is a HUGE thing not having to think twice about reinstalling an OS due to having to install every game.
Ca you have more than one folder too?

^ Just symlink the entire account folder under steam to the alternate hard drive and you're done. But yeah, you can have multiple symbolic links.

The reason I mirror the steamapps folder, though, is so I have a backup. If I symlink it -- no backup :(

EDIT: Looking at the top sellers today, I'm blown away that some shit-and-piss $60 game (you know the one) is in the #3 spot. Unbelievable.

Desperados 2 is only $7

I enjoyed Helldorado enough that I will pick this up. This is basically a 3D version of Commandos but a Western.

Gonna make my friend buy me Clear Sky tomorrow, he owes me since I bought Tomb Raider Underworld for him. :p

Steam is getting hammered to no end. It's insane. :p

I have more games than I'm going to be able to play anytime soon. :D

My Steam folder is about 113GB right now, and destined to be much higher when this stuff is done.

Yeah, bought GTA4 this morning, at first couldn't connect to steam at all, 'servers are busy', and when I do connect, dl speed is at 300kbps instead of the usual 2-3mbps.

Also, my steam folder is at 150gb right now, and I still have around 8 more big games I have to install (most from the THQ pack I bought last month). Should be around 200gb when I'm done.

Hopefully Valve uses the funds to give us Ep 3 soon. :p

I've spent close to $200 between gifts and purchases in the last 30 hours or so.

If you buy GTA 4 via Steam, then do you have to launch Steam, which will in turn launch the Rockstar Social Club, which will in turn launch Games For Windows Live? Kind of annoying, if you ask me.

Back