Steam Sale...Jeebus!!!

Ok guys, is there something I should know about steam before I get in?
I have been a plastic case guy all my life so online thingy does not quite have the same impact to me but the prices are just too good.
Is this some service that is always running on your system or anything else I should know?
Thanks

Ok guys, is there something I should know about steam before I get in?
I have been a plastic case guy all my life so online thingy does not quite have the same impact to me but the prices are just too good.
Is this some service that is always running on your system or anything else I should know?
Thanks

It's pretty convenient. If you're concerned about it hogging system resources or doing anything you don't know about / don't want to, don't worry about it.

Conceptually it's a distribution system, but to play a game bought from steam you have to startup steam.

@shaolin.

Steam will automatically launch when you start windows unless you disable it in the settings, but it's a pretty light program from what I can tell. It's made playing games on my laptop so much easier as I don't have to carry around discs and such.

That is nice though, I hate looking for discs.
Once you go Steam, you don't go back. It's been a long time since I've bought a game on disc, and I don't really intend to buy any more traditional boxed games ever again (unless they're older games for the collection).

Also take a look at Impulse Driven, which is Stardock's equivalent of Steam (albeit without the xfire/xboxlive like gaming focus). They have great deals from time to time on indy and mainstream titles.

Proud of myself, so far I will only be purchasing GTA IV. Go me go! I'm glad I'm not one that feels compelled to replace my hard copies with digital copies or I would be screwed.

Hope you're joking but judging from posting history I see probably not. Well hopefully you have a decent reason and not just a plagued opinion.

Anyways, yea I picked up Stalker. Hopefully some more deals on games I have not played yet come up.

well after nearly dying of bored from playing GTA4 on the 360 and hearing about all the performance issues playing this on PC, you would have to pay ME to download and install that game on my pc

I got King's Bounty Armored Princess for only $26. The gold edition with KB The Legend is only $4 more.

well after nearly dying of bored from playing GTA4 on the 360 and hearing about all the performance issues playing this on PC, you would have to pay ME to download and install that game on my pc

Yep that sums up what I thought you're opinion would be but I will give you credit that you have one good reason why not to like the game (which is the boredom part, since any game coming out is not always gonna appeal to everyone. Not that its actually a boring game). As for the performance issues, dig up the GTAIV performance thread thats around here I am willing to bet theres alot of people that disagree with you. Pay you? It's 7 bucks thats more than I give to homeless people a week! :p

Anyways how is Clear Sky? Right now I am thinking of getting GTA4 and give my copy to a friend.

Fallout 3 GOTY was 17 bucks for a few minutes. It's not anymore.. pricing mistake for sure.

Tons of great deals, too bad I'm broke. Anyone want to gift me everything? I'm totally not good for it. =P

Anyone willing to "gift" me GTA IV for 7 bucks ? I ll gift you a 10 buck game in return... pls help me since is not available in my country :p!

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait 'till I get home tonight to pick up a bunch of cheap games! A few I will definately get today:

World of Goo! (been waiting for ages for this to get cheap again)
Osmos - completely addictive casual game - if you haven't tried this one, there's a free demo - it's awesome!
Machinarium - such an awesome looking game! Been looking for an excuse to try this, and 50% off this new release is good enough for me!
Ghostbusters - because, well, why not.

Another few I'm still debating:
Defense Grid (not my kind of game, but it's crazy-cheap right now, so I might get it anyways)
Trine (I got stuck and couldn't even finish the demo of this - I'm not good at side-scrollers, but might get it anyways at this price - maybe there are cheats :p)
Borderlands DLC - decent price I guess; will probably come down to whether any of my other friends will get it to play with me.

Anyone willing to "gift" me GTA IV for 7 bucks ? I ll gift you a 10 buck game in return... pls help me since is not available in my country :p!

I'm going to dinner tonight, but my steam id is keku_x ... Please if u want to buy any 10 buck game add me, i ll gift u first if u have any doubts :)

no deals on TF2?

Its on sale for $10. It was like $2.50 not too long ago, So I would not be surprised if no mind baffling deal comes up.

So far no other deals appeal to me. Mostly since I have a ton of games already.

I'm not even going to bother booting the gaming machine, I've been here before, these deals are almost always US-only.

I feel left out. I already own all these games. The only one they could put on sale for me would be The Saboteur, but it's not even one month old.

Too bad, because now would've been a good time to have played The Saboteur. The beginning of next year is going to be epic.

Next year, in just the first two-and-a-half months, I'll be buying Divinity 2, Mass Effect 2, Star Trek Online, Bioshock 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Napoleon Total War, and Assassin's Creed 2. I have to be honest though - I'm a bit worried about the rest of the year.

No KOTOR 2 :(

Just bought KOTOR 1 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory though. Never got a chance to play either but heard nothing but good things. Got TF2 a few days ago as well..haven't bought this many games in years.

Man there are a bunch of awesome deals to be had! Just picked up Half Life Episode 2. Been wanting that one for a while and was going to pick it up for $15 this weekend since Im off but for $11, well cant beat that!

psssssssssst, you didn't hear it from me but....wait with that purchase.......trust me.

To be honest, I had an inkling that Star Trek Online was being pushed out the door too quickly - I hadn't been expecting to see this until the Fall of 2010. And then suddenly they were saying it would be available in January of 2010.

No developer of an MM0 has ever gotten my credit card number from me - I've always cancelled after one month. I bought a 3-month gift card for LOTRO, but after two months I was pretty much done with that game.

This is the chief reason I'm so curious about The Old Republic - it's a Bioware RPG... that says it all. Will Bioware be the first to get my number? Yeah, I'm hoping that they will be.

Witcher + Borderlands DLC + Torchlight + Defense Grid + Stalker Clear Sky = $38

I'm set for months and I've only just started Dragon Age! Good grief... :)

Ugh, bought 3 games already... and the more I read this thread the more I want to pick up more. SAVE ME

Ugh, bought 3 games already... and the more I read this thread the more I want to pick up more. SAVE ME

There are probably twenty games I would like to pick up, thankfully I do not have the cash :p

Although I should stay away from this sale after xmas and my bday hehe

Here's to hoping we see a surprising MW2 deal. I want to play it but not enough at full price.

Here's to hoping we see a surprising MW2 deal. I want to play it but not enough at full price.

The fact that MW2 is still at full price makes me think they will offer a deal on it. I'd be surprised if it is under $40 though.

I bought GTA IV. Has anybody tried multiplayer with it? I don't expect much but is it any fun online?

The fact that MW2 is still at full price makes me think they will offer a deal on it. I'd be surprised if it is under $40 though.

I bought GTA IV. Has anybody tried multiplayer with it? I don't expect much but is it any fun online?

The last time i played multiplayer was a couple of months ago and it was rampant with cheaters using hacks. The games I played where there weren't cheaters kept my interest enough for a couple of days before I got bored and stopped playing. I just don't like the controls, they aren't very precise and in multiplayer I got frustrated easily either through my character sluggishly moving around or the terrible vehicle handling (compared to like San Andreas).

Back