Steam - 10-90% off everything

Haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have already said this, but I'm worried steam's about to go under. Due to the fact that they're one of the few companies out there that cares more about the customer than making money, and due to the economy.

So this may not be as good as it seems.

What, with Ubisoft bringing new games and EA joining in on Steam, no way. Steam is better than ever.

Grabbed doom and downloaded the ZDoom launcher that seems to be highly recommended for running it on windows (instead of using the included dosbox emu).

Haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have already said this, but I'm worried steam's about to go under. Due to the fact that they're one of the few companies out there that cares more about the customer than making money, and due to the economy.

If steam was in financial trouble they would just haggle higher % of each sale on new contracts. They don't really have much competition for digital downloads, there's d2d but they usually don't support their games like steam does as far as patches and mods go.

LOL

grabbed audiosurf and mass effect

I am gonna be in for bioshock $4.99 the orange box and probably prince of persia.
This will hold me over for a long time since I already have cod waw,NFS MW,and lost planet.
Super hot deal going on with steam.

They know how to boost the economy huh?

Im sorry, but steam is in no way gonna go under any time soon, theyre doing amazing right now, ur worrying about the wrong company :) Now d2d i can see going under, but not steam, theyre too good to

I'm really tempted to get Stalker:CS.

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable some of the DX10 graphics features in XP, like in Crysis?

Is Unreal Tournament III more popular online than UT 4 editors pick?

Shadowgrounds is $5 and Survivor sequel is $7.50 - the demos were awesome, I'll have to get one.

What a good deal.Some of the games were still expensive.If everything was 50% off then they would have alot more sales.It is still a great deal tho with the games they have on there.
I almost bought bioshock today for $20 at best buy when I bought my new monitor.I am glad that I didn't get it at BB

Sweet deals. I bought half life 1 for .99 weeks ago and now blue shift and opposing force for .99 each.

I'm picking up either TF2 or the Orange box can't decide. Not sure I'll play the rest of the games in Orange box and if i don't grab that I might grab Red Orchestra

sorry for the newbie question but i've never used steam before. If i buy a game through steam can I install it on my desktop machine and my laptop or is it limited to 1 machine?

Can install it on as many as you want, can only be logged in to play on one system at a time though.

ahh that makes sense. thanks for the quick reply. sorry i finally broke down and bought peggle for the gf a few days ago I might just go ahead and get her the complete pop cap games now.

probably pick up bioshock for myself even though I just got fallout 3 so I won't be playing it anytime soon.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up!

Picked up Doom 1 and 2 and the Unreal Pack for some nostalgia.

I was about to purchase BioShock until I heard that the rootkit still exists even with the Steam version. :(

I was about to purchase BioShock until I heard that the rootkit still exists even with the Steam version. :(
Someone's either lying or mistaken...steam version has no DRM.

Also, I saw a few people asking about gifting. It's always been that you could only gift HL2, and the episodes. Recently a couple 3rd party devs have allowed gifting of previously owned games...such as Rockstar with GTA: Vice City on their pre-order deal.

Unless you see confirmation from somewhere official, you can not gift the other games in the Valve pack. If you have bought the pack today and been able to gift games you already own, post it here (preferably with a screenie) because then I'd be all over it myself.

Who does the money go when we buy 10+ year old games?
Anyone except vALVE and the publisher?
Do the developers get a cut at all?

Who does the money go when we buy 10+ year old games?
Anyone except vALVE and the publisher?
Do the developers get a cut at all?
I'm pretty sure for most older games the developers have moved on for better or for worse...not quite sure how the money breaks down from there although I am curious, too.

Also, I saw a few people asking about gifting. It's always been that you could only gift HL2, and the episodes. Recently a couple 3rd party devs have allowed gifting of previously owned games...such as Rockstar with GTA: Vice City on their pre-order deal.

Unless you see confirmation from somewhere official, you can not gift the other games in the Valve pack. If you have bought the pack today and been able to gift games you already own, post it here (preferably with a screenie) because then I'd be all over it myself.

In case others have not noticed there is a thread that was started in the "[H]ot Deals Discussions" forum where [H] members can read about how to gift their duplicate games, to other [H] members.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1378771

i just got portal and bioshock with no drm, and spent under ten dollars.

um, FUCK YES?! thanks OP.

also, zomg@TF2=$10

I didn't quote the question I was responding to:
anyone know if i would be able to give the the games that i already own if i buy Valve complete pack ?

In case others have not noticed there is a thread that was started in the "[H]ot Deals Discussions" forum where [H] members can read about how to gift their duplicate games, to other [H] members.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1378771
It appears no one followed the link in that thread because it states clearly what I wrote yet people are talking about TF2, portal, etc. You can not gift those even if you already own them:
Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:

1. Purchase the “Left 4 Dead Four Pack” on Steam
2. Own “Half-Life 2” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack"
3. Own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode Two” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack” or the "Valve Complete Pack"

This special offer will allow you to send your extra game copy or copies to a friend who does not already own the game.

If your Steam account meets any of the conditions above, you will automatically receive extra copies of the related games which you can give to friends.

How many extra copies will I get when I purchase one of these games?

You will receive one gift for each previously purchased version of “Half-Life 2” and “Half-Life 2: Episode One” in your Steam account. For example, if you already own both "Half-Life 2" and "Half-Life 2: Episode One", and you purchase The Orange Box, you will receive two free copies you can give to friends: one copy of each game.

You will receive three gifts in addition to a copy of the game for yourself when you purchase the Left 4 Dead Four Pack.

Do any other games available on Steam work this way?

No. This special offer only applies to “Half-Life 2,” “Half-Life 2: Episode One,” “Half-Life 2: Episode Two,” and the “Left 4 Dead Four Pack” as stated above.
Those are the only games you can gift, according to Valve.

If anyone's a fan of DX Ball or Breakout style games you should give the demo of Reaxxion a shot:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15950

I saw it was 99 cents so I gave it a go, and within two levels I was sold. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and for 99 cents you can't go wrong.

I also picked up Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Ultimate Doom, and Doom 2 for 99 cents.

Back