Steam - 10-90% off everything

picked up tf2, portal, bioshock.

i might play them when i get something faster than this nvidia ti4200.

this sale is crazy... i love steam!

you guys should bit on trackmania united... for 20$ you cant go wrong!

I grabbed Bioshock for $5 and I got STALKER for $5 a little before this deal. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

tf2 is hands down the best bang for the buck game in the history of gaming. $9.99 for a visually stunning and fun multiplayer game + frequent updates? Unbelievable.

I decided to snag the ID and Unreal packs... I already own everything in both except for Hexen/Heretic, but for $55 and no bs, have them anywhere, it's worth it.

Anyone buy the Valve Complete pack or any extra copies of games they don't need and want to hook me up? :p

AMEX is like a regular credit card isn't it? Couldn't you just make a paypal account with the AMEX card attached?

I'm debating if I should get the Valve complete or not...

I only have Half Life 1 from them... And I was planning on getting Left 4 Dead... Somebody push me over the edge!

regular amex yes, apparently he's having a problem with the giftcard version though

But too bad none of EA's games seems to be in the holiday sale. :(

They might be. The sale runs until Jan. 2nd and I think that most of the EA titles will be available in Jan. The real question is what date in Jan. they will be available. Hopefully not Jan. 3rd. ;)

They might be. The sale runs until Jan. 2nd and I think that most of the EA titles will be available in Jan. The real question is what date in Jan. they will be available. Hopefully not Jan. 3rd. ;)

I think it'll probably be on Jan. 3rd if Murphy's Law strikes. :eek:

Picked up the two .99 Half Life games. What order do you play them in after the original HL?

Wow some of those 99 cent gems saved my ass here at the parents house on thier old 2004 computer with a integrated graphic card :D. Purchased World of Goo, Bioshock (for back home), Doom 1 - 2, and Luxor 2.

If you don't have Bioshock yet, GET IT.
I thought it was a steal at the previous sale @ $15 but there is no excuse to buy it at $5 now.

Same goes to TF2. Im quite surprised a lot of people in this thread that still havn't owned it.

stupid steam wont take american express giftcards!
You have to call them and register your full name and address with them.

Unfortunately I got mine all set up a couple months ago but lost it. $50 down the drain...

Same goes to TF2. Im quite surprised a lot of people in this thread that still havn't owned it.

The only reason I still balk is that I don't play MP games much (if at all), and the most significant factor is the fact that even with this massive sale, The Orange Box is still $26.99, whereas all I want from it are Portal, Ep 2 and maybe TF2...

Those three combine to only $28.47...

Buying them combined is only a $1.48 saving? Come on, Valve, can't you offer just a bit better of a deal?

These games have been out 14.5 months now... I'd bite without a thought if Valve wasn't skimping on the savings when ordering them together...

I still can't get myself to buy Portal & Ep2 for $18.48, because I feel for $20 (just a bit more...) should be the entire package...

It's also still hard to bite right now, knowing the fact that somewhere on the horizon is Ep3 (finally...), and that ANY package for it is going to include Ep2 anyway, so why double- or triple-pay for something? (Ep2 packs and Ep1 packs included HL2...)

Then again, the final thought is that I'm certain they all are worth $27 combined, which should really be the only thought here...

So, I'll re-think my attitude:

If you're not into MP, and don't have Orange Box yet, Ep2 & Portal are a great bargain at $18.48...

And if you are into MP, and don't have OB yet, the Valve complete pack also is probably a great bargain at $74.99, since it includes L4D... (I actually didn't realize that initially, and never gave it consideration... When I realized it actually did include it, I was a bit surprised the price was so low...)

Someone also said these low prices combat piracy. I think I'd agree. The id pack @ $34.99 for everything (except perhaps Quake 4 and Quake Wars...) is tempting just for the convenience, regardless of the fact that I believe I already own up to three licenses for each game that's on the list... The Unreal pack same deal, great price, tempting, but I can look behind me and see different packages on my shelf that have "Q3..." and "Unreal..." on them...

Shoot, I bought STALER:SoC for $5 when I already have the disc (never installed it), and will probably buy Bioshock for $5 although I have that on disc as well (again, never installed it...)

Don't really have a point with this post. Just some great prices. Feel bad for those that don't get in on it, if I'm sitting on multiple copies of something, and have a Steam copy as well, anyway.

Dunno, I wonder if anyone needs a cheap copy of anything? (But why not just grab the Steam deal?)

Eh, I need to stop buying games that I never play...

BTW - Trackmania United Forever is a steal @ $20 IMO. I paid $40 with no regrets. But I balk at $27 for three great Valve games. Go figure.

That was quite the rant. It's too bad you don't want to shell out under $30 for what? 5 games? I would say that Portal and the Half Life episodes alone are worth that much, but TF2 added in is an amazing deal. I don't understand why if you almost never play MP games you are considering buying TF2?

Just spend the $5 on Portal and be happy.... it's worth so much more than that. I seriously can't believe that you are complaining about the Orange Box costing $27 though, you sir, are ridiculous. I'm glad you recognize that though :p

Trackmania was fun, but I will probably stick with the free version. I am considering the Flatout package for $15, those look like fun as well.

oh, sweet find!

Yes, I'm sold. I just bought it for a buck. I had to create a Steam acct. Currently downloading ... :cool:

Edit: Do I need to have Steam running at all times whenever I play one of its games? Or is Steam only required to run when installing the game? :confused:

I guess I'll soon find out ...

Edit #2: When you launch a Steam game, it automatically launches Steam as well.

Reaxxion is best played at full screen. It's annoying when the mouse left the game and went to Windows, which would screw up the paddle, LOL. Full screen it is! :cool:

That was quite the rant. It's too bad you don't want to shell out under $30 for what? 5 games? I would say that Portal and the Half Life episodes alone are worth that much, but TF2 added in is an amazing deal. I don't understand why if you almost never play MP games you are considering buying TF2?

Just spend the $5 on Portal and be happy.... it's worth so much more than that. I seriously can't believe that you are complaining about the Orange Box costing $27 though, you sir, are ridiculous. I'm glad you recognize that though :p

Most everyone interested will already own parts of the package, though, of course.

Portal and HL2:Ep2 are worth $18.48.

But I can't get past that every other game or package that's on sale that's a game of more than a year old is more than 10% reduced. WaW and others just released are at least 10% reduced. CoD4 (a year old) is 25% off.

Valve could have reduced Orange Box by more than 10%. It's hard to not take notice that they didn't. 25% off is $22.50. That sounds right.

I avoid MP games as I've realized that good ones are like crack. Trackmania was the first game to make me go to work later than planned. (I can't say to work late as I made my own hours at that time...)

TF2 sounds like it takes cooperation and coordination between allies, though, which I've read the on-line community lacks (I also saw this with TDU, great game... first game since TM to almost cause me to get to work late...) Although L4D appeared to be a hit, so maybe I'm wrong...

Eh, sorry, only 10% off of Orange Box is still bugging me...

Yes its a year old game, but its already reduced $20 from the original price and then another 10% off for this sale. Some other games might have a higher discount like COD4, but they are also still charging a base full retail for it.

Yeah, 10% off a group of games at an already great price is nothing to cough at. It's amazing that EVERY game available has been knocked off a couple dollars, even if it's just 10%, it's still pretty great. There are definitely some awesome deals though... quite a few I see that are 50% off.

I wanted to get the Longest Journey package, but that's only $2 off right now... still a good deal, but I can hold out on that one and buy other games that are a better deal right now. :D

Most everyone interested will already own parts of the package, though, of course.

Portal and HL2:Ep2 are worth $18.48.

But I can't get past that every other game or package that's on sale that's a game of more than a year old is more than 10% reduced. WaW and others just released are at least 10% reduced. CoD4 (a year old) is 25% off.

Valve could have reduced Orange Box by more than 10%. It's hard to not take notice that they didn't. 25% off is $22.50. That sounds right.

I avoid MP games as I've realized that good ones are like crack. Trackmania was the first game to make me go to work later than planned. (I can't say to work late as I made my own hours at that time...)

TF2 sounds like it takes cooperation and coordination between allies, though, which I've read the on-line community lacks (I also saw this with TDU, great game... first game since TM to almost cause me to get to work late...) Although L4D appeared to be a hit, so maybe I'm wrong...

TF2 has one of the more mature communities I've played within.
I mean, sure there are young players, and sometimes they say silly crap, but overall even they know how to play cooperatively and tons of people use ingame voip.

Both TF2 and L4D pretty much compel teamwork. You can't compare that to the COD or BF series "teamwork".

Valve is also releasing new content: unlocks, maps, environments for TF2 and will be porting it to the newest L4D engine eventually. Can't really compare that to the support of other mainstream devs/publishers.

In terms of the pricing, not only is the Orange Box already worth more than its retail counterparts if priced separately, and others have noted it's reduced + 10% off, but if they dropped it down even more we'd have to endure reading rants about why the valve complete pack wasn't dropped to $60.

I also don't think you should compare the OB as a single game against the other games like you're doing...like WaW or CoD4 or even L4D (which by itself can account for half the price of the complete pack). Orange Box is a pack of its own; if you look each of the games you're interested in retails for near the price of the OB. If you were to buy TF2 alone it' be $20 regular and people still buy it often enough to make it consistently one of steam's top sellers every week.

It's just a lil fun they do every year...I don't know why people start to feel like they're entitled to even deeper discounts. They're not based on popularity when it comes to the Valve current catalog.

>Tolyngee,
Look, Portal is 75% off and TF2 is 50% off. Its not gonna get much better than that.
Its too bad EP2 isnt that hot at only 10% off but thats that. If you're afraid that EP2 will be included in some future package , then at least buy Portal for $4.99.
Orange box at $26 is a super good deal anyway, but seeing you buying STALKER and Bioshock when you already own the disc and never installed them makes me thing you just like to jump on cheap deals and not really interested in playing the game(s)

It's also still hard to bite right now, knowing the fact that somewhere on the horizon is Ep3 (finally...)

no. no it isnt. remember that episode-every-six-months bullshit they spouted to assuage the dissentors way back? remember how ep1 took a year, ep2 took over a year, and they've stated now that ep3s dev cycle will be even longer? so no, no horizon.

Someone also said these low prices combat piracy. I think I'd agree.

i know i agree. portal and bioshock for five bucks? who can argue with five bucks for such acclaimed games?

Shoot, I bought STALER:SoC for $5 when I already have the disc (never installed it), and will probably buy Bioshock for $5 although I have that on disc as well (again, never installed it...)

you're weird

/end of OT

btw whilst DLing last night i got 850kbps transfer speed spiking @1.2mb, dunno what you guys were talking about earlier with the "slow server" comments :D

Valve/Steam does it again. Had me reaching for my credit card as soon as I saw the deals. I haven't really been into gaming to much in the past year or two except for the occasional Civ IV: BtS match, but I've been kind of bored during this particular holiday season so I decided to splurge just a little. I have Orange Box and the Civ IV pack on Steam already so no buy there. Total list for today:

Bioshock (@ $4.99 this is a steal)
id Super Pack (just for nostalgia purposes)
Heavy Weapon Deluxe
UT3
I-Fluid
Defense Grid
Fallout 3 (had to get something new)

You pretty much are missing out on one of the best game-package deals in recent memory by continuing to hold out for some major/huge discount on Orange Box. As for Episode 3, I wouldn't hold my breath for that one as it is going to be a while and you are missing out on the other great games in the OB while waiting for EP3 to appear so you can grab everything in one package. I don't play online games anymore, but all the single-player games in the Orange Box made it worth buying alone.

How is Defense Grid, Nemesis?

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to play it as of yet. I have been occupied with some classic Doom :D. I will give it a spin later tonight as I was a big Desktop Tower Defense fan. I am about to play I-Fluid and back to some classic ID games. I have no idea when I will even start with Bioshock and Fallout 3. Guess I am not bored anymore. :cool:

Back