Steam - 10-90% off everything

Today is supposedly the last day of the sale.

That sucks, nutxo, that your acct. got banned. Like someone else asked, did you follow up with Steam?

I guess the sale is over? Damn, I shouldn't have waited this long to put my order through.

Yep, deal's dead. I think Valve made a lot of money this last week though....

Pepsi did this for their "Pepsi Stuff" promotion points thing Wednesday. Supposedly it ended 12/31, except they killed it way before the end of 12/31 where I live. I guess lots of companies are now referring to somewhere else for the end of the day. They don't mean 11:59 CST or EST, they mean it for a time zone in in the middle of Asia.

Today is supposedly the last day of the sale.

That sucks, nutxo, that your acct. got banned. Like someone else asked, did you follow up with Steam?

I havent gotten a reply yet. And no, Ive never used a crack or a bootleg. I havent so much used a skin pack since HL and the first CS long before steam came around.

I havent gotten a reply yet. And no, Ive never used a crack or a bootleg. I havent so much used a skin pack since HL and the first CS long before steam came around.

Don't expect a timely reply. At least from a real person. My steam account got hijacked and password changed and I couldn't recover it for quite some time. At the time all I played was CS 1.6. And I didn't really care as I was addicted to Diablo II at the time, and that was all we played in high school. One of my friends let me have one of the CD Keys for CS: Source because he got it for free and thats when I realized mine had been hijacked.

They wanted me to be on their CAL team for Source, but I couldn't get an account, and I was broke to pay $20 for a new account/game :(... But it took half a year before I got a real answer and my account recovered. I even had my CD key which I originally used to activate Half-Life to make that steam account. It was quite frustrating. Especially since the person who hijacked it got my account VAC-Banned from 1.6, and everything related to regular Half-Life.

Moral: Take your time when dealing with getting a Steam account back XD

Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I picked up the following over the weekend:

Reaxxion
Heavy Weapon Deluxe
Trials 2: Second Edition
Alpha Prime
Shadowgrounds Survivor
Space Trader
Alien Shooter: Vengeance
Ghost Recon Pack
Unreal Deal
RIP Trilogy

I've had my Steam account hijacked twice. Both situations were resolved in a few days or so.
--------------

I purchased:

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
World in Conflict
Birth of America
Unreal Deal
Far Cry

I had just lined up 3 friends to split the L4D four pack with today, and when I went to purchase it this afternoon, the sale was gone. :(

What is the Steam weekend deal this weekend? Couldn't find anything on the site about it.
Looking to pick up another heavily discounted game! :)

How are many of your accounts' getting hijacked on Steam? Is someone running a password cracking program on there and hijacking those accts. w/ weak passwords?

Yes, I also found it odd how the sale ended during the middle of the day rather than at 11:59 pm of Steam's timezone.

What is the Steam weekend deal this weekend? Couldn't find anything on the site about it.
Looking to pick up another heavily discounted game! :)

haha I don't think they're going to have one this weekend... they just finished one of the greatest gaming discounts evar!

haha I don't think they're going to have one this weekend... they just finished one of the greatest gaming discounts evar!

Did they have a sale like this in late 2007? If so, then here's to another 11.9 months before the next great gaming sale. :p

How are many of your accounts' getting hijacked on Steam? Is someone running a password cracking program on there and hijacking those accts. w/ weak passwords?

Yes, I also found it odd how the sale ended during the middle of the day rather than at 11:59 pm of Steam's timezone.

I'm partly glad it ended sooner than I thought it would. Otherwise I would have bought more games that probably would have just sat unplayed for months. :rolleyes: In the end up I picked up the Persia pack, i-Fluid, Defense Grid and Portal.

I bought:

Left 4 Dead
Civilization 3 Complete
Reaxxion
Luxor 2
Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle.

I know I got mostly a bunch of crap, but I didn't wanna overspend.

Kinda missed my New Years steam game goal of 200 by 5 though...

Bioshock pwns my 6600GT even on lower settings. Must upgrade vid card quickly.

I'm partly glad it ended sooner than I thought it would. Otherwise I would have bought more games that probably would have just sat unplayed for months. :rolleyes: In the end up I picked up the Persia pack, i-Fluid, Defense Grid and Portal.

The odd thing is that Steam lost out on a lot of sales from procrastinators who were probably waiting until last night to buy. Curious decision for them to end the sale early.

The odd thing is that Steam lost out on a lot of sales from procrastinators who were probably waiting until last night to buy. Curious decision for them to end the sale early.

From this thread alone, I assume they did just fine regardless :p

From this thread alone, I assume they did just fine regardless :p

Yeah, but they could've done better. :p

Or maybe they were losing out too much and had to cut it short. I don't know how much $ the manufacturers make from Steam's sales. I hope it's by %age and not absolute $. Not that Steam nor the manufacturer would've made a heck of a lot in the $1-$5 games. :p

Yeah, but they could've done better. :p

Or maybe they were losing out too much and had to cut it short. I don't know how much $ the manufacturers make from Steam's sales. I hope it's by %age and not absolute $. Not that Steam nor the manufacturer would've made a heck of a lot in the $1-$5 games. :p

those 1-5$ games really add up, especially to how many people bought them.

I got in on the last day and honestly would have forgot but for my girlfriend seeing Peggle in a store, and remembering me telling her about it.

I picked up Peggle and Company of Heroes Gold for $27.

those 1-5$ games really add up, especially to how many people bought them.

Yes, they do add up, but I wonder how much of that Steam keeps and how much is sent to the game makers. If Steam has to send a flat, say, $2, on those $1-$5 games, then they were losing $ on the $1 games, but probably were hoping people would be tempted to buy the more expensive games. :confused:

Been playing Mount & Blade, it is pretty fun. I should've been training my own crossbowmen instead of hiring all these mercenaries though. Hired blades and calvary have too high wages for my income at this point, so I'm limited to about 4-5 of each and keeping the rest at horsemen until I can replace all of my crossbowmen.

I also made a very nice xpadder profile if anyone wants to play Mount&Blade on their 360 controller. The only thing I don't have mapped is view outfit, sheath weapon, and fire at will. Everything else is fairly straight forward with X to cycle units and Orders on the dpad.

I didn't buy anything until the night of 1/1/09. The last night of the sale. I procrastinated, but still understood when the sale ended.

It was advertised as "to 1/2/09" which means 1/1 is the final full day. It will end anytime on 1/2.

People still don't understand the difference between "to" and "through"?

They ended the sale late if anything. It could end anytime on 1/2. It makes sense for it to end earlier than later, as you've already made it "to" 1/2.

if date=1/2, sale=over

No offense, but the people who "procrastinated" and couldn't decide what to buy, are probably the same people who couldn't decide if they wanted to vote McCain or Obama. No loss to not see them during an online game, IMO...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2127/

Actually, they used "until" here, but "to" on their front page graphic IIRC.

Still the same difference. Ends on 1/2, not through 1/2.

If your boss tells you to work "until" 5pm, do you stop working at 5pm, or stop working at 6pm?

If anything, they ended the sale late.

IMO, "untill 1-2" means at 11:59PM the sale has 1 minute left. Though I do see the argument, especially when dealing with timezones and such.

Also keep in mind that there is no real cost to Steam for any of the games, they're already maintaining the SteamPowerd system for so many other games and most of the $1 ones dont have online options so all steam is paying is bandwidth/hosting, which is dirt cheep for the smaller, older, games. I do expect the developers were left out in the cold, but remember marketing strategy "oh this game is great, I bet the new ones are great too!" Same reason a lot of piracy goes unnoticed on old software, it builds brand recognition and generates new sales.

I didn't buy anything until the night of 1/1/09. The last night of the sale. I procrastinated, but still understood when the sale ended.

It was advertised as "to 1/2/09" which means 1/1 is the final full day. It will end anytime on 1/2.

People still don't understand the difference between "to" and "through"?

They ended the sale late if anything. It could end anytime on 1/2. It makes sense for it to end earlier than later, as you've already made it "to" 1/2.

if date=1/2, sale=over

No offense, but the people who "procrastinated" and couldn't decide what to buy, are probably the same people who couldn't decide if they wanted to vote McCain or Obama. No loss to not see them during an online game, IMO...

No offense, but I think you're wrong. For example, look at the weekly sales the big box stores have. They typically run from Sun. to (or through, whatever you want to call it) Sat. That means, the sale starts on Sun. when the store opens and ends on Sat. when the store closes. It doesn't mean they end the sale at some arbitrary time on Sat. while the store is still open. There are rare exceptions, such as on Black Fri., or other early bird sales.

I also don't feel sorry for the procrastinators.

No offense, but I think you're wrong. For example, look at the weekly sales the big box stores have. They typically run from Sun. to (or through, whatever you want to call it) Sat. That means, the sale starts on Sun. when the store opens and ends on Sat. when the store closes. It doesn't mean they end the sale at some arbitrary time on Sat. while the store is still open. There are rare exceptions, such as on Black Fri., or other early bird sales.

I also don't feel sorry for the procrastinators.

From what I've seen, stores use the term "through." This obviously means the sale should go through Saturday, not to or until Saturday. According to Tolyngee, Valve/Steam used the terms "to" and "until." Not that I really care...

From what I've seen, stores use the term "through." This obviously means the sale should go through Saturday, not to or until Saturday. According to Tolyngee, Valve/Steam used the terms "to" and "until." Not that I really care...

Also, when coupons expire on a certain date, it is always (from my exp.) honored on the date of the expiration, including that day, until store's closing, unless the coupon itself is invalid or has been discontinued for some other reason (e.g. fraudulent copies invalidating legitimate coupons)

Back