Starfield

can someone explain to me how to upgrade ship? I've tried doing it to the one I have and its like as soon as I remove and/or add something, the mass goes into the red and I can't do anything.
There's some pretty good guides on YT but in general, there are a couple things you need to pay attention to, ship mass / power capability / weapon power requirements / engine capability -- when you are swapping stuff out there is a "Flight Check" ("C" I believe) that will show you errors.

Took me a video or two and messing around for a good 15-20 minutes to wrap my head around it. You can't just drop in an upgraded laser turret or such without considering the stuff above. Best bet, take 15-30 min and watch a couple "how to..." YT vids. I didn't want to in the beginning, but got frustrated enough to where I kind of 'had to'.

I guess Nvidia released some new drives today going to check them out.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/211637/en-us/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lies-of-p-mortal-kombat-1-game-ready-driver/

Starfield Performance Improvements​

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs. In our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance. The Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17).

I guess Nvidia released some new drives today going to check them out.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/211637/en-us/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lies-of-p-mortal-kombat-1-game-ready-driver/

Starfield Performance Improvements​

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs. In our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance. The Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17).
15 posts up, my guy.

can someone explain to me how to upgrade ship? I've tried doing it to the one I have and its like as soon as I remove and/or add something, the mass goes into the red and I can't do anything.

The mass goes red because you increased it, its not an error. All errors are shown under the flight check (C button). The controls are wonky af, it takes a LOT of getting used to. I've built 30+ ships and I still find myself accidentally deleting parts of the ship I didn't mean to, or having half the ship not attached to the other half even though it looks like it should be. Its just a trial and error thing. If you CLICK and hit G to add an item, you have to hit E to actually put it there. But if you just HOVER over a hardpoint you can just click it in the menu and it will go there. Don't forget Z to flip the orientation if you need it.

For the shipbuilders who want 'more'... someone had made mods that disregard the ingame limitations on: (scroll to bottom for list)
  • No limit on number of reactors
  • No engine power limits
  • No minimum landing gear
  • No reactor 'class'
  • No weapon power / count limits
  • No shield limit

Here is my Nvidia settings for a 3080ti with the just released drivers. 🤣😂🤪😝
lol.png

Here is my Nvidia settings for a 3080ti with the just released drivers. 🤣😂🤪😝
View attachment 598284
It defaults to low on everything because an "optimized" profile isn't available for the 3080 Ti in GFE. GFE does the same with other games. I wouldn't use GFE's suggestions, anyway, as they're usually way off base. That is especially true of newer games.

If you're playing Starfield on an AMD graphics card, there's a good chance you've missed one of the most glaring bugs in the game, because you just won't have seen anything...the AMD-sponsored Bethesda game simply doesn't render a local star from any planet without an atmosphere on an AMD card

And yet the stars will blaze away until the end of time on an Nvidia GPU...

https://www.pcgamer.com/in-starfield-the-sun-literally-doesnt-shine-on-amd-gpu-users/

Update: An AMD representative has been in touch to assure us that it is aware of the bug, but unfortunately doesn't have any update about whether we might see a patch incoming, or even whether the driver team has a fix in mind...what they did also note was that it is reportedly not just AMD RX 6000 and RX 7000-series cards that are having the no-sun issue, as reportedly cards older than the RTX 20-series are also suffering from the same problem

I have not been able to confirm this myself, but some readers have suggested that their GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 980 are feeling the Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine vibe, too...

Update: An AMD representative has been in touch to assure us that it is aware of the bug, but unfortunately doesn't have any update about whether we might see a patch incoming, or even whether the driver team has a fix in mind...what they did also note was that it is reportedly not just AMD RX 6000 and RX 7000-series cards that are having the no-sun issue, as reportedly cards older than the RTX 20-series are also anecdotally suffering from the same problem

I have not been able to confirm this myself, but some readers have suggested that their GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 980 are feeling the Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine vibe, too...
I didn't even know the game was feature level 12_0. Would explain the lack of ray tracing.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Last edited:
Akila looks good, Neon pretty amazing. There's just something wrong with NA and lut tweaks won't fix it.

edit:
More planet locations (the POIs you see from orbit).
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2145

Crowded Universe has been reuploaded too.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2131

View attachment 598329
View attachment 598330

The "crowded" option of that mod was actually way too crowded for me, I went with the middle option. It looked and felt really strange with so many POI's within visual range.

Update: An AMD representative has been in touch to assure us that it is aware of the bug, but unfortunately doesn't have any update about whether we might see a patch incoming, or even whether the driver team has a fix in mind...what they did also note was that it is reportedly not just AMD RX 6000 and RX 7000-series cards that are having the no-sun issue, as reportedly cards older than the RTX 20-series are also suffering from the same problem

For reference, I can see the Sun beams just fine on my GTX 1080....

Small photo reel of more bugs:

1694547682616.png

Space ship clipping into mine while I was docked at a station lol.

1694547765358.png

Sarah just deciding she's okay without a space suit now, I guess.

1694547849058.png

Somehow I accidentally captured a civilian ship. While it had landed at a nearby civilian camp, I boarded it once, went up to the pilot chair just to see what would happen, then got out of the pilot chair and left without taking it. Sometime after I walked away, somehow it became mine...?

Also did the Mantis quest yesterday. I didn't feel like puzzle solving so I just shot at the turrets. Even at my low level (10 or 11 at the time?) the ship and armor you get from it seem to kind of suck to me.

1694548076282.png

Also this is kind of annoying considering I don't even know what quest this belongs to. I guess I just have 1 mass permanently reserved for some booze I can't drink...

Overall, I'm having a decent time with it. Lots of POIs for now. I do think it's still kind of in a silly place considering the development time (between the bad optimization and other issues). At least now that I disabled Lukesomething's DLSS mod, though, the game almost never crashes. Just very rarely when loading a save. I guess at least it was free. Poor Sarah boarded my ship for the main quest and then hasn't gotten to see the main quest being touched much at all lol.

What's the right DLSS mod for this?
IMO, none. They all make the game crash to some extent since it's relying on unstable DLL injection to do so, and TBH, I think the game looks/runs just fine with FSR2 enabled. That's just my opinion though.

5 or 6, I used an Amp and bypassed it.

Yeah I ran out of damage reduction stuff or that would have been my choice as well. I use those stims like a fat dude with Snickers bars. I get addicted a lot... thank goodness for Addichrome and Doctors :)

I dont know about anyone else, but i swear to god im getting better framerate with the newest Nvidia driver. at 4k maxed out im getting around 43-55fps maxed out with FSR2 at 80%. I would easily dip in the mid 30's before. Makes me wonder if Rebar was an issue before these drivers.

If I wasn't so financially challenged at the moment, I'd be all over this. It looks great and I love all the screenshots.

I really hate the damn resource storage/ encumbrance shit in this game. I spend more time trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I collect than playing the missions.

I really hate the damn resource storage/ encumbrance shit in this game. I spend more time trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I collect than playing the missions.
Your safe at the lodge has unlimited capacity.
In other words, all the other encumbrances were designed to waste your time fast traveling back and forth between the lodge.

I really like the feel of the NG+. I don't have any guilt about just doing random quests because hey, I can just do it differently next time and I'll be more powerful to boot. I feel no shame in letting the main quest rot while I scan every single planet in the galaxy just for fun.

Your safe at the lodge has unlimited capacity.
In other words, all the other encumbrances were designed to waste your time fast traveling back and forth between the lodge.

The best part is you can craft straight out of the cargo hold but not the lodge storage, so if you actually want to use any of that you have to go get it. Or you can just hit ~ and player.modav carryweight 10000 lol

Also, this thing absolutely SHREDS everything with Ballistics and Pistol perks. Jesus. Binary trigger, too. Wish I could remember where I got it for the next playthrough.

20230912200535_1.jpg

I wish there was more stuff to find on earth but climate change pronouns destroyed everything.

I dont know about anyone else, but i swear to god im getting better framerate with the newest Nvidia driver. at 4k maxed out im getting around 43-55fps maxed out with FSR2 at 80%. I would easily dip in the mid 30's before. Makes me wonder if Rebar was an issue before these drivers.

Will test this in New Atlantis and report back....

EDIT: Went to the big spiral sculpture in New Atlantis where I know my exact FPS.... No change/uptick in framerate for me :(

Guess the fps increase really is only pertaining to ReBAR.. (which my card doesn't support) Oh well, it was worth a shot

Last edited:

There should be a simple weight mod or console command, I think I used one in FO4 and NV after a while. After a while I started spawning resource items when I needed to build something as well in FO4.

Of all the tutorial vids I watched the one in this post was the most helpful.
Question for all who got through mantis. How many tries did you take to solve the letter puzzle and get past the laser turrets?
My companion had a shotgun with explosive ammo and blew the turrets to smithereens while I was mid puzzle lol.
Which is why the first thing I do after installing a Bethesda RPG is use the console command to increase inventory weight limit.

Back