Starfield

Ohhhh ok, I was like WHERE ARE THESE NEW OPTIONS??

Then I read the post again and realized that stuff is "upcoming"..

This really is just a tiny hotfix I guess

EDIT: I'll be damned, I actually gained 2 fps in my New Atlantis "stress-test save" location. I'll take it! heh

Last edited:
Skill plays a part but a cargo or research vessel shouldn't really compete with a pirate or warship. Sounds like you need a new ship.
There are ships the have better cargo and can fight, just need to find or build them.
Star Eagle is a ship you get from the Free Star Rangers quest line. Mine has around 2k storage and does just fine in combat. The only tense moments have been going up against a couple level 35s and I think a 20.
Also I have not invested in ship skills yet. But I do have people assigned to my ship that made a noticeable difference in performance.

Your post is largely constructive, and I want to say I appreciate that. What I'm going to respond with is largely negative, but the tone isn't directed at you. With that out of the way:
I don't know of any real player skill that factors into space combat. Like I literally don't get any time to even try any of the fancy maneuvers people keep talking about.... all I can do is try to peek into asteroid belts, but if the enemy wave is 5 ships, there's literally no blind spot anyway and they kill me in seconds. Most ground enemies are defeatable in Normal difficulty with proper cover use and positioning, even at low levels. Spaceship combat without a minmaxed ship, especially against any higher level ships, is basically you praying that you can get one of them from behind an asteroid (which sometimes is impossible in some engagements), because they basically form a ring of near-stationary turrets that hit you no matter what you do. At the speed I boost at, they're still hitting me the entire time, so trying to be fast is pointless. Like I feel like sitting there and having to sweat over and basically grind out an optimal ship design should NOT be a mandatory part of playing this game. Most other parts of the gameplay happen pretty organically. You get stronger weapons from stronger enemies so you can fight stronger enemies, along with skill points, etc. They don't necessarily take you out of the experience. The spaceship builder is you sitting there trying to weigh your options against your generator output, your max weight (so that it doesn't decrease maneuverability), etc. And you need a lot of credits to pull off an optimal design. I'd say I'm not the only one, quite a few people really dislike the space combat in this. A cursory google search says a lot of people hate it.

I'll try modifying my ship, but at the moment it honestly pisses me off to where I just want to mod this shit out. It doesn't help that the default keybinds for space combat are AWFUL. Like "someone should get shot for making these keybindings" awful.

People are saying the new patch crashes any saved games luckily I saved the game offline.

Also I mentioned a few days ago about companion affinity, turns out there's a cheat that does it this time, no mod. There's also one to bring back the old loot system.

starfield_affinity - Copy.png

starfield_equipdrop.png

player.modav carryweight 99999

then install this mod *if you are on Steam and give a shit about acheesements*
New patch broke this. Taking a break from the game until new version comes out that works. Some said to just follow the install steps again, but i get an error when trying to start the game that the library isn't supported. The fact that mods like StarUI are flagged and turn off achievements is silly. I love how it calculates the guns' DPS for me, so i can quickly weed out all the crap guns when i am selling.
Also, not a fan of having to run a different app every time i want to play a game, so prefer to not use the sfse.

Last edited:
New patch broke this. Taking a break from the game until new version comes out that works. Some said to just follow the install steps again, but i get an error when trying to start the game that the library isn't supported. The fact that mods like StarUI are flagged and turn off achievements is silly. I love how it calculates the guns' DPS for me, so i can quickly weed out all the crap guns when i am selling.
Also, not a fan of having to run a different app every time i want to play a game, so prefer to not use the sfse.

Pre-Patch, I retroactively went back to a save before I applied the console command, "installed" the achievements mod, and then reapplied the carryweight command @ 9999.

Loaded up my save just now: carry weight still shows 9999 and when I open the console (even on much older non carryweight 9999 saves) I still don't get a warning about how "certain commands can break achievements".... (which means the achievement mod is still working)

Soooo yeah, guess maybe I lucked out by applying the achievement mod/carryweight command before the patch hit??

- TLDR: Everything seems to be working just fine on my end

EDIT: Are you by chance using the MS GamePass version or something?

(I'm on the Steam version and have ZERO mods installed outside of the achievements sooooo maybe that's why.. I dunno)

Capture.PNG

Guess it's still working for other people too

EDIT 2: No offense to anyone here, for real - BUT, what did you really expect to happen when you loaded up a Launch Day version of the game with a bunch of half-hazard mods?

Last edited:
FYI everyone, the achievements mod was just updated from v1.1 to v1.2.... (I went ahead and updated/tested. v1.2 works just fine for me also (y) )

Hopefully that fixes it for you guys!!

The slow motion boost ability (bottom of the tech tree) is insane.
The entire game slows down by 70% but your gun fires at full speed.

It also works while sneaking, and it doesn't count as moving, so it doesn't break the invisible/concealment ability.

Last edited:
Pre-Patch, I retroactively went back to a save before I applied the console command, "installed" the achievements mod, and then reapplied the carryweight command @ 9999.

Loaded up my save just now: carry weight still shows 9999 and when I open the console (even on much older non carryweight 9999 saves) I still don't get a warning about how "certain commands can break achievements".... (which means the achievement mod is still working)

Soooo yeah, guess maybe I lucked out by applying the achievement mod/carryweight command before the patch hit??

- TLDR: Everything seems to be working just fine on my end

EDIT: Are you by chance using the MS GamePass version or something?

(I'm on the Steam version and have ZERO mods installed outside of the achievements sooooo maybe that's why.. I dunno)

Guess it's still working for other people too

EDIT 2: No offense to anyone here, for real - BUT, what did you really expect to happen when you loaded up a Launch Day version of the game with a bunch of half-hazard mods?
Steam version for me. I tried deleting the 2 "bink" files and am Validating the install. Found a different version that didnt need to update those files and so far so good.

Also, I was not very bothered by it, I just didnt feel like playing without that UI mod. Was a good excuse to find other things t do until it was fixed. With things like this, it is usually only a day or two tops before people have fixes.

I visited my brother yesterday to upgrade his ram to 32G. He is running an i7 6700, 32G of ram and a 2060 super and of course all SSD storage but it’s all sata drives even. —Game runs fine and I was actually surprised to see that in person considering all the talk.

And yes the game has its issues especially being as demanding as it is without cutting edge graphics or RT and so on —but it’s playable on a variety of setups.

Game runs and is playable so far on my 4790k with 32GB of ram and a 2060S. Medium settings with FSR on.

Question for all who got through mantis. How many tries did you take to solve the letter puzzle and get past the laser turrets?

I didn't solve it. I just destroyed the turrets. Got a sniper rifle somewhere and just blew up the explosive tank behind them and snipped them real quick.

I just so happened to able to upgrade lockpicking to master once I arrived at those pesky turrets, that's obviously another option.

Levels slow to a crawl at like 40+.
I'm 49 now and it feels like hours between each ding. A single quest gives me maybe 5%. I can't even imagine what 200+ is going to be like, if you try to get all the skills.

I can definitely see an XP mod being viable for people who want to experience all aspects of a build.

Levels slow to a crawl at like 40+.
I'm 49 now and it feels like hours between each ding. A single quest gives me maybe 5%. I can't even imagine what 200+ is going to be like, if you try to get all the skills.

I can definitely see an XP mod being viable for people who want to experience all aspects of a build.

Agreed I'm 44 and it's turning into a slog especially since I like exploring and doing the 'little quests' you pick up from people talking around the towns / etc. Last one I just did gave me like 100xp... heh.

In the event you all didn't know it, the mining laser has dual mode. Press both mouse buttons which will mine quicker but also uses more power.

I have a love hate relationship with Bethesda, always have. I've been playing their games since the early 90s and the Elder Scrolls games since Arena but it wasn't until Oblivion that this really manifested. They just seem to make so many poor design and mechanical choices I genuinely feel that most of their project meetings consist of members of the development team bringing up things that need to be added, fixed or improved and management says "don't worry about most of that stuff, modders will take care of it after launch." and that's like 80% of their meetings. They seem to have done a better job eliminating bugs this time but there are so many other "wtf were you thinking" issues and things that feel like they just copy pasted from previous games. They don't even try to evolve their games or if they do they are just playing catchup to games that came out 5 years prior.

Again, I genuinely enjoy their games and I'm going to play the shit out of this just like all their others (except Fallout 4, I didn't play that anywhere near as much as the others) but I already have over 20 mods and they are all just mods to fix poor design decisions and functionality issues. I'd love to see what kind of RPG they could make if not confined to that ancient engine or the Bethesda templet.

I have to say, the open space aspect of this game makes it lifeless. I think fallout and skyrim work because its a set place with life.

This feels so disconnected to me and boring. Im still 20 hours in but infeel like im playing just to do it know.

I loved fo3/4/skyrim and although this plays the same, it just feels lifeless

I have to say, the open space aspect of this game makes it lifeless. I think fallout and skyrim work because its a set place with life.

This feels so disconnected to me and boring. Im still 20 hours in but infeel like im playing just to do it know.

Their engine isn't capable of handling a game like this properly.
Starfield exists because it was Todd Howard's dream game, they tried to shove it into Morrowind's engine and quite simply failed.

If you just stick with the primary and secondary quests and don't go wandering off onto random planets too often then it may not seem so bad. I do agree that even the main planets feel oddly lifeless, mainly because it seems like there are only 2 or 3 other living things you see over and over on them. I'm sure we'll see an "Alien Life" mod that will add all sorts of fun things to planets.

Their engine isn't capable of handling a game like this properly.
Starfield exists because it was Todd Howard's dream game, they tried to shove it into Morrowind's engine and quite simply failed.

Agreed, this project always seemed a bit short sighted to me. It would have been the perfect game to use as an introduction to a new engine. Hell, even if they used a licensed engine that could do it justice just for this game.

It might be the case where they have released what is essentially canvas for modders to paint on, and it may take a year or 2 or 3 years for it to become awesome with the combination of official Bethesda updates and community mods.

Not that any of us want to do this, but it almost makes sense to hold off a year or 2 before playing this unless you have FOMO/hype fever or are fine with the "good enough" level of mediocrity that Bethesda is capable of in their initial game releases.

Only on the internet can a game succeed and have millions of people enjoying it, and yet somehow it's a failure.

To those complaining about stealth, what were you wearing when tying to be stealthy.

If you just stick with the primary and secondary quests and don't go wandering off onto random planets too often then it may not seem so bad. I do agree that even the main planets feel oddly lifeless, mainly because it seems like there are only 2 or 3 other living things you see over and over on them. I'm sure we'll see an "Alien Life" mod that will add all sorts of fun things to planets.

The no alien life is kinda odd.

The no alien life is kinda odd.
There's alien life, just not a whole lot of it. I'm not very far along but so far there seems to be 3 to 5 different alien creatures on planets with life.
Only on the internet can a game succeed and have millions of people enjoying it, and yet somehow it's a failure.

To those complaining about stealth, what were you wearing when tying to be stealthy.

Says the guy who played dozens of hours of Diablo 4 just to complain about it on the internet the whole time.

It might be the case where they have released what is essentially canvas for modders to paint on, and it may take a year or 2 or 3 years for it to become awesome with the combination of official Bethesda updates and community mods.

Not that any of us want to do this, but it almost makes sense to hold off a year or 2 before playing this unless you have FOMO/hype fever or are fine with the "good enough" level of mediocrity that Bethesda is capable of in their initial game releases.

This is exactly what they do and what I've been saying for decades. They build some of the greatest canvas' a Modder could ask for. The problem with that is it's. at the expense of it's fanbase.

I normally play through their games once using basic ui and quality of life mods then shelf it for a year or so then jump in to the heavy mods.

I can complain all day long about all the horrible decisions made in the development of Bethesda's games but at the end of the day they are doing something right because I, and many others have put thousands and thousands of hours into them and likely enjoyed almost every minute of it.

I do wish they would create an RPG where they couldn't rely on the modders though, so we could see what they were really capable of.

I guess "succeeding" is a subjective term. Nobody is arguing its commercial success, which is a given. And it sounds like it's a lot more polished/bug free than their other releases right out of the gate, so good for them. So if that is ones defintition, then it is a success. I would like to see Bethesda up their game significantly in areas like quest writing and overall writing quality (its been very average so far and falls way short of other AAA RPGs, like either their writers lack the talent to do so or are afraid of being too sophisticated for a massively mainstream audience), NPC behavior and AI (NPCs look lkke stiff wax mannequins), PC quality of life and polish (FOV, UI, and so on), and with this game to aim a lot higher than just Skyrim or Fallout with a NASA punk coat of paint. Sadly it sounds like the space travel and exploration is almost non existent and the space combat happens in small areas around planets. In my mind, true success would be if Bethedsa made significant evolution in quality with all their game play systems and gave us all a truly deep space exploration game that involved more substantial space travel and flight and planet exploration, and NPCs that weren't so cringeworthy to interact with.

And not being able to fly on planets or any kind of atmospheric flight into our off of planets is really quite lame. Considering that's been something that even indie developers on a shoe string budget can accomplish. It's the limitation ofBethedsa clinging to their aging engine when they should use something more modern.

Hopefully at least some of these things can make their way into the game over time.

Last edited:
Even though I like the game, I have to say I am sick of the skill/crafting system. You need resources, so go buy it locally but there are like 2 places near the lodge to get stuff, but you still have to travel there. They need to implement an Amazon/mail order to the dam UI so I can order those resources instead of spending so much time zoning out of the lodge, fast traveling to the right zone, running to the store, buy stuff, then go back and do the research then craft the weapon mod. It's just so much time wasted. We went to the stars, travel to worlds light years away, have robots with intellegent AI, but we forgot how to deliver stuff within minutes from an online catalog using what should be perfect AI controlled drones lol.

My save file said 73 hours when I hit level 50 which means level 100 will take around 300-350 hours at my current rate. In other words, very unlikely.
Really gotta be careful how you spend your skill points.

My save file said 73 hours when I hit level 50 which means level 100 will take around 300-350 hours at my current rate. In other words, very unlikely.
Really gotta be careful how you spend your skill points.
I don’t care much what my level is. I just base progress off the main& faction missions. I’m not even done with 2 faction missions yet and barely touched the main storyline outside the first power. I’m over 100 hours. The amount of quests in this game with story and dialog is kind of crazy.

Back