Starfield

I assume faction missions count as side missions?
No, I intentionally say faction mission instead of side mission, and they are indicated differently in the quest tracker by symbol as well. Each factions mission line is pretty huge in scope, and each has it's own narrative. Each one has fairly decent rewards at the end as well. UC one gives a really nice apartment, Freestar is a special ship, etc.

When I say side missions I mean any mission indicated by the blue square with the line through it in the quest tracker.

Those are all different from radiants, which are just the ones you get from some random NPC's and mission terminals.

Some radiants even require a certain outcome from the faction missions to even get... Which is kind of cool.

All of that to say - The game is massive in scope when just looking at the narrative and quests available. Even if you don't give a shit about outposts, buildings ships, decorating property, etc - It's a huge game. It's easily as large as Fallout 4 was when just looking at variety of actual missions (Not radiants) and unique POI's. Maybe not as big as Fallout 4 with all the DLC, but we're not even there yet with Starfield. And TBH - Starfield has A LOT more potential for the DLC's given the core systems already present in the game.

Mind you, i'm not even mentioning the 'main' storyline quests and all the of the stuff that comes with as well.

Last edited:
No, I intentionally say faction mission instead of side mission, and they are indicated differently in the quest tracker by symbol as well. Each factions mission line is pretty huge in scope, and each has it's own narrative. Each one has fairly decent rewards at the end as well. UC one gives a really nice apartment, Freestar is a special ship, etc.

When I say side missions I mean any mission indicated by the blue square with the line through it in the quest tracker.

Those are all different from radiants, which are just the ones you get from some random NPC's and mission terminals.

Some radiants even require a certain outcome from the faction missions to even get... Which is kind of cool.

All of that to say - The game is massive in scope when just looking at the narrative and quests available. Even if you don't give a shit about outposts, buildings ships, decorating property, etc - It's a huge game. It's easily as large as Fallout 4 was when just looking at variety of actual missions (Not radiants) and unique POI's. Maybe not as big as Fallout 4 with all the DLC, but we're not even there yet with Starfield. And TBH - Starfield has A LOT more potential for the DLC's given the core systems already present in the game.

Mind you, i'm not even mentioning the 'main' storyline quests and all the of the stuff that comes with as well.

Thanks. Generally I am not too interested in the radiant quests (didn't like them in FO4), and not too into random base building stuff. So essentially there are main quests, side quests, and faction quests. That is good to know. Are side quests about the same length and scope as faction missions?

Imagine mooching a premium early access key off a generous member here and now you're still kicking the tires on even installing this thing.

I love you like a brother Flogger23m but jesus christ my dude. 😆

Just a matter of when, not if, I play it. Maybe in the next few weeks when I have more free time to dedicate the hours for this.

For those that spend a lot of time in Starfield, outside of main story quests and side quests what is there to do? Is it essentially random generated planets and random generated fetch quests or are there a lot of unique and crafted areas to explore? Are there any smaller unique missions like the side gigs in Cyberpunk 2077 (15 or so minutes mini missions with some lore)?
It depends on how you play, if you go to every POI you bump into it becomes repetitive very quickly, but if you do it realistically, IE only go to things and land on planets you actually find interesting (like a real explorer would), then it becomes a non issue. I'm not exaggerating for dramatic effect I haven't yet encountered a single duplicate POI, haven't even seen similar building layouts.

As for side missions there are some short ones like convince someone of something, or find someone, or sabotage something. These usually don't take more than 15 minutes. And then there are ones that turn into multipart several hour long missions that are more interesting than the main quest.
Going off of how long to beat, main story and side quests seem to be shorter than Fallout 4 so kind of wondering what else there is to do.
IDK how can anyone be confident unless they played the game 24/7 since release. I'm 30 hours into it and barely explored anything and I don't think I'm even halfway through the main story. I guess you can finish the main story in 45 hours if that's what you focus on, but then you probably miss all the side content that to me seems far better so far. And I literally haven't even touched any of the faction stuff.

When do you get to fix up the ship etc.? Also when you steal a ship, what happens to the current one? Does it fly itself to a garage of some kind or is it lost forever?

When do you get to fix up the ship etc.? Also when you steal a ship, what happens to the current one? Does it fly itself to a garage of some kind or is it lost forever?
At the begining of the game you end up at New Atlantis and there is a ship tech you can talk with at the landing pad. You'll find ship technicians are at most settlements and space ports. The tech gives you a few options: repair, upgrade/modify and buy/sell ships. When you steal a ship your other ship goes into your inventory of ships(you can have 6 total). You don't lose anything, your crew and cargo transfer even if your cargo/mass size is less than your previous ship. You do have to register this new stolen ship if you want to keep it or sell it. Yo8u have to go into the upgrade/modify option to select which ship you want as your Home ship.

Whenever you want, really. My storage was full like 2 hours after getting the Frontier so I spent half my money adding cargo holds to it. I didn't cheat with the ships until I got to NG+ so I could have one play-through of vanilla, zero mods. And honestly, the only ship cheat I use is multiple reactors which should have been included to begin with. Why in the world can't a ship have more than one? We do it in real life nuclear ships, but not space ships? Ok.

Like other said, stolen ships go in your inventory. When you steal one you gotta fly to a system with this thing over them

whereshipslive.png

and you can talk to the NPC at the docking port to view/modify. You have to actually go into that menu to set your home ship, but if its stolen you have to pay some credits first to register it. I think most of mine were 10-12k credits.

At the begining of the game you end up at New Atlantis and there is a ship tech you can talk with at the landing pad. You'll find ship technicians are at most settlements and space ports. The tech gives you a few options: repair, upgrade/modify and buy/sell ships. When you steal a ship your other ship goes into your inventory of ships(you can have 6 total). You don't lose anything, your crew and cargo transfer even if your cargo/mass size is less than your previous ship. You do have to register this new stolen ship if you want to keep it or sell it. Yo8u have to go into the upgrade/modify option to select which ship you want as your Home ship.
Thanks. That is super helpful. I went to the tech but didn't realize I could upgrade/buy/sell there. Will try it tonight.

My biggest beef with this game is the clothes are so damn ugly... everyone looks like those models that wear 30-gallon trash bag ponchos. Why did they do this?

At the beginning of the game you end up at New Atlantis and there is a ship tech you can talk with at the landing pad.

Anyone ever land and have the landing pad and surrounding area only partially load in?

It's happened a couple times here, and there is an unlocked chest directly below this guy that has 72k credits in it, I think it's his "bank". Sometimes I'll randomly land here to see if I can get some free cash. Happened 3x in about 70 hours of game play.

Apparently AMD cards aren’t rendering sun illumination on many planets. I do wonder if this is part of the reason why it’s running so much better on AMD.

are you able to complete all the loyalty quests for all the companions even if a companion doesn't like some of your actions and decisions in the game and leaves?

FO4 had a mod to remove negative affinity. That would be very helpful in Starfield because everybody is constellation is a goody two shoes.
Also the companion missions suck, "Boo hoo I miss my old friend" who cares.

FO4 had a mod to remove negative affinity. That would be very helpful in Starfield because everybody is constellation is a goody two shoes.
Also the companion missions suck, "Boo hoo I miss my old friend" who cares.

Not everyone. Andreja likes a lot of stuff that Sarah / Barrett / Sam wouldn't.

Unless you're straight up murdering people, "Nobody likes that."

Also, I'm pretty sure you can 'marry' and 'divorce' all 4 of them in one play through.

I ditched Sarah shortly after meeting Andreja.

interesting...

Developer Explains Why Starfield NPCs Look Like They’re Dead Inside

Character and tech artist Delaney King took to X to post a fascinating look into the eyes of Starfield’s characters, explaining why their smiles look fake

According to King, who has worked on the likes of Dragon Age and God of War, Starfield character smiles have an issue with the orbicularis oculi muscle not contracting, which creates a "Duchenne smile"...rather than look genuine, this sort of smile makes it look like you’re lying or constipated. If you watch The Boys, you’ll know this smile from the superb Antony Starr, who plays Homelander...

https://www.ign.com/articles/developer-explains-why-starfield-npcs-look-like-theyre-dead-inside

They sure make it sound as if this is some evil deliberate agenda. As a programmer this is what we call a dirty shortcut (if I deciphered the technobabble correctly). There is always a way to do something faster, you can get old trying to optimize even a 10k line code. Let alone a game of this size. The open source community is basically an infinite resources cheat code to find faults. I feel the hatred emanating from whoever wrote this :D Such strong language.
I don't think it's either. I think it's simply a case of the programmers not fully understanding the use case for ExecuteIndirect, or not reading the documentation at all. I've seen it before when somebody discovers a new feature, reads a summary thinking that is "cool," and start using it indiscriminately without further reading or testing. Lazy, evil, or making shortcuts? Probably not. Incompetence? More likely.

I've been able to go into this game with no reviews/previews watched or expectations. I don't think this game will change my life or anything but I think its solid. No crashes. Not as buggy as Cyberpunk IMO, at the very least no headless dead bodies have gotten up and walked down the street like I saw in Cyberpunk. If it wasn't on game pass I would have been fine with waiting until the super gold directors cut++ anniversary edition came out in a few years.

Update - One of my Outposts got attacked by some Ecliptic while I was on site. Next time I autopiloted back to the Outpost all the corpses were standing up and just staring out into the void.

new Nvidia driver released today (537.34) which adds Resizable Bar support to Starfield...

Starfield Performance Improvements

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs...in our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance...the Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17)...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lies-of-p-mortal-kombat-1-game-ready-driver/

I love this game warts and all. I'm not surprised. There is a lot to uncover in this and I've gone down a number of fascinating rabbit trails with certain sidequests and discoveries on planets. Radiant quests are easily avoided in this if you don't want to be bothered. I've had a number of unforgettable moments in this game including:
The Mantis is still paying huge dividends for me and I've had some classic responses out in space from friends and foes alike. This Crucible quest I uncovered on another planet is fascinating and disturbing. And so on...

I have yet to spend much time with outposts or anything past relatively modest ship upgrades. I haven't had to get big on ship upgrades thanks to a certain quest that has been mentioned several times in this thread already including my spoiler comment above.

I need to learn more about companion management.

Well, I know one of my mistakes with my AM5 / RX 6700 rig is to put my desktop into 1080p, I was trying to run Starfield at 2160p with FSR 2 on with my 43" 4K TV and didn't catch that part.

new Nvidia driver released today (537.34) which adds Resizable Bar support to Starfield...

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs...in our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance...the Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17)...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lies-of-p-mortal-kombat-1-game-ready-driver/

Can anyone confirm/deny whether this new driver improves Starfield perf. OVERALL?

office-space-lumbergh.gif

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
can someone explain to me how to upgrade ship? I've tried doing it to the one I have and its like as soon as I remove and/or add something, the mass goes into the red and I can't do anything.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-owners-can-get-a-big-fps-boost-in-starfield-with-this-tweak/

That would be this? I'm trying to look into it.

yup same thing except this is the official driver release
It's just a game profile update, not a driver update. 537.17 is the minimum driver required because it was the first to add a Starfield profile. If you're on 537.17 still, simply restarting your PC or logging off and on in Windows will force the OTA update. If anybody is one of those people who mindlessly strip out the driver of everything when you install it, then OTA updates will not work for you.

It's just a game profile update, not a driver update. 537.17 is the minimum driver required because it was the first to add a Starfield profile. If you're on 537.17 still, simply restarting your PC or logging off and on in Windows will force the OTA update. If anybody is one of those people who mindlessly strip out the driver of everything when you install it, then OTA updates will not work for you.

but if you download the new driver you get the Starfield ReBar update immediately...with the 537.17 driver it'll be added at some point in the future

but if you download the new driver you get the Starfield ReBar update immediately...with the 537.17 driver it'll be added at some point in the future
Sure, but you don't need to update the driver if all you want is rebar support in this game.

I love this game warts and all. I'm not surprised. There is a lot to uncover in this and I've gone down a number of fascinating rabbit trails with certain sidequests and discoveries on planets. Radiant quests are easily avoided in this if you don't want to be bothered. I've had a number of unforgettable moments in this game including:
The Mantis is still paying huge dividends for me and I've had some classic responses out in space from friends and foes alike. This Crucible quest I uncovered on another planet is fascinating and disturbing. And so on...

I have yet to spend much time with outposts or anything past relatively modest ship upgrades. I haven't had to get big on ship upgrades thanks to a certain quest that has been mentioned several times in this thread already including my spoiler comment above.

I need to learn more about companion management.

Wait to you get to "Entagled". What a fun quest... and...
Yes, you can save BOTH.

can someone explain to me how to upgrade ship? I've tried doing it to the one I have and its like as soon as I remove and/or add something, the mass goes into the red and I can't do anything.
There's some pretty good guides on YT but in general, there are a couple things you need to pay attention to, ship mass / power capability / weapon power requirements / engine capability -- when you are swapping stuff out there is a "Flight Check" ("C" I believe) that will show you errors.

Took me a video or two and messing around for a good 15-20 minutes to wrap my head around it. You can't just drop in an upgraded laser turret or such without considering the stuff above. Best bet, take 15-30 min and watch a couple "how to..." YT vids. I didn't want to in the beginning, but got frustrated enough to where I kind of 'had to'.

I guess Nvidia released some new drives today going to check them out.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/211637/en-us/

Starfield Performance Improvements​

Today, NVIDIA is releasing a Resizable BAR profile for Starfield which increases performance on GeForce RTX 40 Series and GeForce RTX 30 Series desktop and laptop GPUs. In our testing scenario, GeForce RTX 40 Series desktop GPUs see on average a 5% increase in performance. The Starfield Resizable BAR update will be pushed via an Over-The-Air (OTA) update from NVIDIA and will be automatically applied for gamers running the latest Game Ready Driver (537.34) or the previous release (537.17).

Back