• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Star Wars Outlaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this is just me… I’m only stating my personal preference here… I’m not saying everyone needs to agree with this… lol.. but I actually don’t care what a character looks like.
OK you don't care, but most male gamers care about the main female character being attractive, or the male being idealized. And studies have shown that women also identify more with attractive characters than plain ones. Ironically even women who say sexy characters are problematic will choose the sexy character when given the choice. So games with plain looking characters are literally restricted to a small percentage of the audience. And the sales figures reflect this.

But of course the scapegoat is then that it's not the character designs, it is just the game being bad, we heard this excuse about Outlaws and even Concord. But only after the MSM gaslit us that they are good games, but when they are confirmed failures they switch the narrative. Every time. IGN just released an article about how Veilguard is a bad game in a war with itself.
A character’s looks, for me, don’t define wokeness. There are some people (no one here, I’m sure) who will go berserk over any female lead, saying, wow, way too woke for me.

Others will scream woke simply because the cast of characters is diverse. You know what - the cast of real people at my workplace is diverse and we weren’t even trying for it… it just happened!
If its no one here why do you feel the need to even say it here? Just because some wrongly equate organic diversity with woke does not mean woke influence isn't a problem in games, that is literally tanking sales of big budget AAA products.
For me, woke is not how the characters look, but how they act.

I didn’t find Kay to be woke in her actions… except for the time when she wanted to join the ‘Wookie Lives Matter’ movement. Who gives a shit about that crap. Keep it out of the fucking narrative.
It's more than that, either way your failure to recognize the red flags does not mean they aren't real for the rest of us.
 
For me, woke is not how the characters look, but how they act.

I didn’t find Kay to be woke in her actions.
For someone who claims to rail against 'wokeism' in video games you appear to have a very narrow, almost intentionally obtuse, view as to what that is. It has already been explained to you ad nauseam across multiple threads that the backlash is deeply rooted in the intentions of the developers where design decisions are predicated on ideology. For example, making female characters less feminine to not offend transgender players.
 
Despite Ubisoft being quite blunt about its lower sales. It should of sold a good bit better given Ubisoft's profile as a large developer and the Star Wars branding.
It would be fascinating to see Steam player stats, but it seems SteamDB does not have the required access token.

Have to wonder if that is intentional to stop people seeing how poorly it is performing. That will be next strategy used by publishers to control the PR narrative around their games, wouldn't want transparency especially when the game which shall not be named continues to nose dive in terms of concurrent peak users.
 
Also, I actually don’t care what a character looks like.

A character’s looks, for me, don’t define wokeness. There are some people who will go berserk over any female lead, saying, wow, way too woke for me.

Others will scream woke simply because the cast of characters is diverse. You know what - the cast of real people at my workplace is diverse and we weren’t even trying for it… it just happened!

For me, woke is not how the characters look, but how they act.

I didn’t find Kay to be woke in her actions.
Well you're in the minority then because Capcom's survey with a large sample size says unique and attractive character are nearly as important as exhilarating gameplay.

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections/1#q3

1731513949767.png


It's #1 in Japan

1731513988414.png

This video sets out in autistic detail how governments are also involved in pushing this nonsense.


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyE6CDi2h0

I'm surprised it looks like they didn't include the DARPA stuff uncovered during Gamergate 2014.
 
Really? They actually said that! Those specific words!

Utterly moronic.

Can you link me to the quotation though? I can’t find it?
omg.. well that does explain why she looks so freakin' weird. I wish I could just stick a full face helmet on her and call it a day.
 
Well you're in the minority then because Capcom's survey with a large sample size says unique and attractive character are nearly as important as exhilarating gameplay.

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections/1#q3

View attachment 691447

It's #1 in Japan

View attachment 691448

I'm surprised it looks like they didn't include the DARPA stuff uncovered during Gamergate 2014.

Oh no… I didn’t mean we should have ugly characters?

It’s not woke to be good looking.

What I meant was… well, exactly what I said… there literally are gamers who will say it’s a woke decision to have a female lead… there literally are gamers who will see a diverse cast and say that the decision there is clearly woke.

Having a cast of diverse characters doesn’t make anything woke… not by looks… it’s what those characters say and do that makes them woke.
 
It would be fascinating to see Steam player stats, but it seems SteamDB does not have the required access token.

Have to wonder if that is intentional to stop people seeing how poorly it is performing. That will be next strategy used by publishers to control the PR narrative around their games, wouldn't want transparency especially when the game which shall not be named continues to nose dive in terms of concurrent peak users.

It isn't on Steam, though it performed so bad that they moved the Steam release up. This should have gotten 2 million sales considering it was multi platform day 1, was Star Wars, and an Ubisoft game.

Having a cast of diverse characters doesn’t make anything woke… not by looks… it’s what those characters say and do that makes them woke.

It certainly does depending on the theme/setting. Having a "diverse" cast in a London setting of 1940 for Inclusion purposes would be. London of 1940 looked quite different from London 2024.
 
Oh no… I didn’t mean we should have ugly characters?

It’s not woke to be good looking.

What I meant was… well, exactly what I said… there literally are gamers who will say it’s a woke decision to have a female lead… there literally are gamers who will see a diverse cast and say that the decision there is clearly woke.
Where are the gamers saying that? I haven't seen any professional Youtuber or anyone on this forum make such statements. We've all been playing games with female leads since we were kids. (Metroid ring a bell?)
Having a cast of diverse characters doesn’t make anything woke… not by looks… it’s what those characters say and do that makes them woke.
This is also patently false. There are cases where including diverse characters makes no sense. If you set a game in medieval Poland for example, the demographics of its characters should be predominantly white. You need proper context to discern if the mere appearance of diversity equates to something being woke. If we are talking about science fiction or games set in the current day, then having diverse characters is fine. Well, mostly. It still depends somewhat on the region but for the most part it would.
 
Yes, Dan, if a game takes place in Medieval Poland and you have blacks and whites and asians and hispanics, etc., then of course it’s woke.

I was speaking generally. Not specifically.
 
Getting tired of policing this thread. We heard you all the first time.

Move on and talk about the game rather than the same points rehashed repeatedly. If not, I will delete the thread.

Thank you!

So, this isn’t a review… just a couple of thoughts on the game.

I spent 42 hours playing through the main quest. One of the most important things for me, in a game, is atmosphere, and this game is by far the most Star-Warsy game I’ve ever played. There are so many moments where you’ll feel like a character in one of the movies - but these aren’t scripted, they’re just random moments that occur on your travels: you’ll find yourself speeding across the sands of Tatooine, for example, heading towards a sunset, and you’ll come across a gunfight involving the locals and some faction, and you’ll dismount from your speeder and unholster your blaster and start firing away. It’s great stuff. Overall, the production values are staggering.

I also loved that in this game you don’t play as ‘the chosen one’, but rather as a regular outlaw trying to make a living for yourself in the Star Wars universe. You’re more Han Solo than Luke Skywalker. It makes the universe feel slightly more dangerous when your character is ‘a nobody’. It just works.

Also, one of your ‘tools’ in this game is your pet Nyx. In real life, pets get on my nerve, so I thought that having this thing at my side the entire time would be unbearable - but Ubisoft managed to create an adorable little fluffy thing that somehow wasn’t annoying.

Levelling up in this game is unique in that you’ll unlock things by completing side-quests involving expert NPCs. They’ll send you off on missions, and you’ll be rewarded via character progression. I think Ubisoft was trying to make your character progression feel more organic, but in reality it sounds a lot more interesting on paper.

One other thing to note: oddly, this game isn’t front-loaded, but rear-loaded. I guess Ubisoft didn’t get the memo that you’re supposed to make the opening hour your best (as in Mafia 3), because this game actually gets much better as you progress. Seriously, you’ll enjoy the end game more than the beginning.

What sucked were the forced stealth segments. My understanding is that a patch has made the stealth more bearable, but I played this game before it was patched and I didn’t enjoy the half-assed stealth system, which, I felt, left too many tools out of my toolbox.

Also, too many vents! This tired game mechanic needs to be put to bed. It’s over-used in this game as a means of traversing some of the facilities in the game.

Honestly, though, if you can buy this game on sale then I’d highly recommend it to almost anyone who loves gaming (in other words, virtually no one at this forum… I’m joking, I’m joking… kind of).

I really loved my time spent with this game. Ultimately, it made me want to re-watch my favourite Star Wars shows and films.
 
Last edited:
Yeah it's so much better on Steam /s.

I'm sure the quality of life updates will help. But it will still be bland. At its best, it is a 6/10. At its worst, a 4/10. Speaking of things like mission design, upgrades, and general game flow. Most of the mini planets are quite big but so limited in what you can do.
 
Thank you!

Honestly, though, if you can buy this game on sale then I’d highly recommend it to almost anyone who loves gaming (in other words, virtually no one at this forum… I’m joking, I’m joking… kind of).

I really loved my time spent with this game. Ultimately, it made me want to re-watch my favourite Star Wars shows and films.

hopefully all the gaming threads can return to normal now with actual talk about the game itself rather than the same OT DEI stuff posted over and over...put that in its own dedicated Genmay OT thread
 
Getting tired of policing this thread. We heard you all the first time.

Move on and talk about the game rather than the same points rehashed repeatedly. If not, I will delete the thread.

instead of deleting the entire thread why not just prevent people that continue to derail the thread from posting in the thread...lots of good info and posts in this (or any) game thread
 
instead of deleting the entire thread why not just prevent people that continue to derail the thread from posting in the thread...lots of good info and posts in this (or any) game thread
Because it's more work. He explained the reason; he could do what you suggest but this is just one thread out of hundreds and he's not interested in getting that granular with it. Easier to delete it unfortunately, but without someone else moderating this forum I don't blame him. If I were the owner, with [H] upkeep being just one part of what I need to get done in a day I wouldn't want to spend my time managing this crap either. :p
 
Thank you!

So, this isn’t a review… just a couple of thoughts on the game.

I spent 42 hours playing through the main quest. One of the most important things for me, in a game, is atmosphere, and this game is by far the most Star-Warsy game I’ve ever played. There are so many moments where you’ll feel like a character in one of the movies - but these aren’t scripted, they’re just random moments that occur on your travels: you’ll find yourself speeding across the sands of Tatooine, for example, heading towards a sunset, and you’ll come across a gunfight involving the locals and some faction, and you’ll dismount from your speeder and unholster your blaster and start firing away. It’s great stuff. Overall, the production values are staggering.

I also loved that in this game you don’t play as ‘the chosen one’, but rather as a regular outlaw trying to make a living for yourself in the Star Wars universe. You’re more Han Solo than Luke Skywalker. It makes the universe feel slightly more dangerous when your character is ‘a nobody’. It just works.

Also, one of your ‘tools’ in this game is your pet Nyx. In real life, pets get on my nerve, so I thought that having this thing at my side the entire time would be unbearable - but Ubisoft managed to create an adorable little fluffy thing that somehow wasn’t annoying.

Levelling up in this game is unique in that you’ll unlock things by completing side-quests involving expert NPCs. They’ll send you off on missions, and you’ll be rewarded via character progression. I think Ubisoft was trying to make your character progression feel more organic, but in reality it sounds a lot more interesting on paper.

One other thing to note: oddly, this game isn’t front-loaded, but rear-loaded. I guess Ubisoft didn’t get the memo that you’re supposed to make the opening hour your best (as in Mafia 3), because this game actually gets much better as you progress. Seriously, you’ll enjoy the end game more than the beginning.

What sucked were the forced stealth segments. My understanding is that a patch has made the stealth more bearable, but I played this game before it was patched and I didn’t enjoy the half-assed stealth system, which, I felt, left too many tools out of my toolbox.

Also, too many vents! This tired game mechanic needs to be put to bed. It’s over-used in this game as a means of traversing some of the facilities in the game.

Honestly, though, if you can buy this game on sale then I’d highly recommend it to almost anyone who loves gaming (in other words, virtually no one at this forum… I’m joking, I’m joking… kind of).

I really loved my time spent with this game. Ultimately, it made me want to re-watch my favourite Star Wars shows and films.
Agreed with the vent traversing.

The game feels very linear for an "open world" game. If you're on any mission, in any base, the paths available are singular. There's a lot less to explore and few wrong turns to take. I'm old and lazy so this works for me, but I could see how others might be turned away from it.
 
Because I didn't feel like taking hours to micromanage assholes.
LOL

We appreciate what you’re doing. Gaming can get the better of us sometimes.

I’ll bet that the GPU section gets heated as well sometimes.

PSUs, not so much. You never see people getting into arguments about power supplies.

Anyway, thanks FrgMstr, we can all try harder.
 
PSUs, not so much. You never see people getting into arguments about power supplies.
Guess you never visited Jonnyguru.com back in the day.

Back OT:
I'll buy this one day after it hits $10 or less since I'm not to much into stealth unless it's Deus Ex stealth.
I can overlook a lot of things as long as it's cheap.
 
Guess you never visited Jonnyguru.com back in the day.

Back OT:
I'll buy this one day after it hits $10 or less since I'm not to much into stealth unless it's Deus Ex stealth.
I can overlook a lot of things as long as it's cheap.
The problem is that the game is currently priced excessively high even for a AAA game. What you get for that price is worse than the typical Ubislop. Ubisoft normally does open worlds very well in my opinion. I hate stealth mechanics in games but I found Ghost Recon Breakpoint and Wildlands to be a lot of fun. I found the stealth in those games to be very satisfying. The gun play in those games is pretty good given what they are. World traversal is also very good in those for the most part. Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell games all had great takedown animations that were brutal and satisfying. From everything I've seen on Outlaws, it takes what were previously strengths for Ubisoft games and makes them weaknesses. The stealth is annoying and buggy. The blaster combat isn't particularly good. Takedown animations are the worst I've ever seen. They are the gaming equivalent of the special effects in Velocipastor. They are clunky, repetitive and look awful.

World traversal isn't great, level design is very linear, and to top all of that off, the story is relatively lame. The game also copies aspects of other Star Wars games that were much more successful. Most notably, the Jedi Fallen Order / Jedi Survivor games. There are Assassin's Creed type traversal mechanics that resemble those games, but are done worse than any Assassin's Creed game or the Respawn Star Wars games. It features a companion like in the Respawn games or Battlefront 2, but probably only executes the companion mechanic better than BF2. I do think Ubisoft will probably fix a lot of these things, but I'd wait at least six months before picking this game up. At that point, only on sale. It's not worth the asking price based on what I've seen.
 
The problem is that the game is currently priced excessively high even for a AAA game. What you get for that price is worse than the typical Ubislop. Ubisoft normally does open worlds very well in my opinion. I hate stealth mechanics in games but I found Ghost Recon Breakpoint and Wildlands to be a lot of fun. I found the stealth in those games to be very satisfying. The gun play in those games is pretty good given what they are. World traversal is also very good in those for the most part. Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell games all had great takedown animations that were brutal and satisfying. From everything I've seen on Outlaws, it takes what were previously strengths for Ubisoft games and makes them weaknesses. The stealth is annoying and buggy. The blaster combat isn't particularly good. Takedown animations are the worst I've ever seen. They are the gaming equivalent of the special effects in Velocipastor. They are clunky, repetitive and look awful.

World traversal isn't great, level design is very linear, and to top all of that off, the story is relatively lame. The game also copies aspects of other Star Wars games that were much more successful. Most notably, the Jedi Fallen Order / Jedi Survivor games. There are Assassin's Creed type traversal mechanics that resemble those games, but are done worse than any Assassin's Creed game or the Respawn Star Wars games. It features a companion like in the Respawn games or Battlefront 2, but probably only executes the companion mechanic better than BF2. I do think Ubisoft will probably fix a lot of these things, but I'd wait at least six months before picking this game up. At that point, only on sale. It's not worth the asking price based on what I've seen.
I actually enjoyed blasting people in the few hours I played and the traversal mechanics seem to range from average to fun... I'm not going to argue with the rest of your assessment though I'm still kind of looking forward to giving it another go with this newest major update. We'll see if it can hold my attention longer this time.
 
I actually enjoyed blasting people in the few hours I played and the traversal mechanics seem to range from average to fun... I'm not going to argue with the rest of your assessment though I'm still kind of looking forward to giving it another go with this newest major update. We'll see if it can hold my attention longer this time.
How? The base blaster has the worst time to kill of any weapon I think I've ever seen in a shooter. You can't carry blasters you pick up off the ground for very long and you can't reload them as I understand it.
 
How? The base blaster has the worst time to kill of any weapon I think I've ever seen in a shooter. You can't carry blasters you pick up off the ground for very long and you can't reload them as I understand it.

There are some upgrades that allow you to carry picked up weapons for a decent amount of time. The shooting is okay when you upgrade your blaster. The problem is to upgrade it you need to divert a lot. And many times it is confusing where an entrance is. But when I do find it, it is locked, behind another blaster upgrade. Which may be an optional upgrade you find in another optional mini climbing /dungeon area. Jedi Survivor did have similar things that were blocked off though it was more clear that you could not access them before spending 15 minutes trying to get it. Unlocks, block by unlocks, which may require other unlocks. It gets really annoying, because you may play further into the game with shallow mechanics only to find out that you need to spend time off the beaten path to get core upgrades.

Just a terrible system of unlocking, requiring lots of mini challenges, or locations to go to in a specific order.

Like I said, towards the end of the game you get some better gameplay options. Though by that point the first half was quite boring and shallow, and the game will be over soon. They seemed to be obsessed with some type of artificial upgrade/progression system.
 
I don't mind me some ubisoft open world, it's a good way to shut your brain off and enjoy a couple hours in the evening. Reading the latest patch notes is... interesting though.

> Enemy AI and detection improvements, with players being notified when they’re being detected

> Player state (crouched, standing) is now kept after traversal actions
Took four patches to fix those?

> Accessibility
> Option added to toggle the Cinematic Lens (distortion, fringing, and vignetting effects) off for gameplay
 
How? The base blaster has the worst time to kill of any weapon I think I've ever seen in a shooter. You can't carry blasters you pick up off the ground for very long and you can't reload them as I understand it.
Who knows, maybe I just like shooting things with lasers more than I realized.
 
So you can climb with picked up weapons. That is nice. I'll play this DLC sometime over the next few weeks probably. Hopefully it isn't too lame.
 
So this is how they celebrate coming out on Steam + being 25% off?

the game just came out on August 30th...25% is actually a bigger than normal discount for a less than 3 month old game...what are you expecting, 75% off?...a 50% discount?
 
the game just came out on August 30th...25% is actually a bigger than normal discount for a less than 3 month old game...what are you expecting, 75% off?...a 50% discount?
All things considered alongside its terrible sales numbers? Yes. Especially since the msrp is $70. 20% off is typical for preorders, not released games.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top