Star Wars: Battlefront Reboot

What bug? That's a Hothian Longneck, a fairly unknown rebel faction. Actually, you're lucky to have captured him in that screenshot, they're very rarely seen in the wild and very shy. Good fighter though and mostly used as recon for obvious reasons.

I only managed to play for an hour last night before my wife made me be a real husband..but I enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I can see the game becoming a lot more fun once I unlock a jetpack/etc. It doesn't do a great job of explaining WTF to do in the equip menus...so I need to pay a bit more attention and figure that out.

One question I have....WTF is up with these personal shields. Do you just have to sit there like a sitting duck until it goes away, or can you successfully fire through it? I was getting worked over by a few guys with it equipped.

Also, w/ the defend the pod game mode, is there any real air warfare going on? I thought I saw some flying around, but they were 100% useless with regards to the game.

I'm looking forward to playing more this weekend. The instant hate I thought I would feel (BF3/4 burnout syndrome) was not there, which is nice.

I only managed to play for an hour last night before my wife made me be a real husband..but I enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I can see the game becoming a lot more fun once I unlock a jetpack/etc. It doesn't do a great job of explaining WTF to do in the equip menus...so I need to pay a bit more attention and figure that out.

One question I have....WTF is up with these personal shields. Do you just have to sit there like a sitting duck until it goes away, or can you successfully fire through it? I was getting worked over by a few guys with it equipped.

Also, w/ the defend the pod game mode, is there any real air warfare going on? I thought I saw some flying around, but they were 100% useless with regards to the game.

I'm looking forward to playing more this weekend. The instant hate I thought I would feel (BF3/4 burnout syndrome) was not there, which is nice.

They last for like 7 seconds, but nope, you cannot fire while they are active. And the sniper and heavier weapons can shoot right through it.
It's excellent when you make a mistake and pulled a wrong turn with a ton of enemies around you. Players can also melee you too with your shield on.

As for the POD defend aka drop zone, no. That would be just the background.

you can still throw grenades through your shield and I like to run up and melee people during this time...nothing like smacking someone up the head while they fire helplessly into your shield :D

Is there an easy way to get a larger group of players into the same match? I was playing with three people last night, and about the only solution was for one person to join a (almost always full) game and have everyone else sit in queue to get in. This made for a lot of boring waiting and also a lot of instances where we ended up on different teams. The game doesn't seem to give any thought to other players being in your party when you go to join a server (unless I'm missing something).

Is there an easy way to get a larger group of players into the same match? I was playing with three people last night, and about the only solution was for one person to join a (almost always full) game and have everyone else sit in queue to get in. This made for a lot of boring waiting and also a lot of instances where we ended up on different teams. The game doesn't seem to give any thought to other players being in your party when you go to join a server (unless I'm missing something).
What's the chances that the comms in this game aren't the same as in release?

flying the fighters on the Hoth map is fine for the most part but turning is still annoying as I only seem to make these wide turns while the enemy always seems to stay right behind me...don't know if it's a kb/m thing though...I'm thinking a controller is better for flying controls...is there a trick to making sharp/quick turns?...misjudging how close the ground is also is something that happens

flying the fighters on the Hoth map is fine for the most part but turning is still annoying as I only seem to make these wide turns while the enemy always seems to stay right behind me...don't know if it's a kb/m thing though...I'm thinking a controller is better for flying controls...is there a trick to making sharp/quick turns?...misjudging how close the ground is also is something that happens

They key to flying is varying your speed. If you want to turn, press S to lower the throttle. You'll turn much faster that way.

I can't believe this bug still exists:

lbxblmS.png

lololol
that's great...

i really got the hang of taking down the walkers with the snowspeeder. I was about 2 seconds away from taking down both in one round last night. There's enough time to do it as long as you don't screw up and start the tow cable immediately when they become vulnerable.

Can you only do the tow cable thing when the AT-AT have been hit by a Y-Wing and are disabled? I havent been able to figure it out yet.

Can you only do the tow cable thing when the AT-AT have been hit by a Y-Wing and are disabled? I havent been able to figure it out yet.

Yeah, there will be a countdown circle thing saying "Y-Wing Incoming," once that countdown completes you can tow cable. If I get a snowspeeder I usually fly low around the map in the mountains until the ATAT's are exposed then I go in to tow cable.

edit: the easiest way to win as rebels (easier than tow cables even), save orbital strikes until the walkers are vulnerable and then drop them on it. It does ridiculous damage. 2 orbital strikes will take out a 100% health walker. If I can't get a snowspeeder at the end, I go around to the power ups and fish for an orbital strike (note: you can orbital strike any time the walkers are vulnerable not just at the end but this is when i actually try to get one). I see so many rebels waste orbital strikes trying to kill a couple guys.

example: http://imgur.com/r/gaming/weKSRRp

Last edited:
Top left of the main menu, 'Invite to Party' then search for a match

That is how we were doing it, and it didn't seem to work. It wouldn't bring everyone in my party into the same match (presumably because it was putting me into full matches)

I wont be wasting my money. If you enjoy the game I am happy for you but this is not battlefront this is battleturd.

Played with friends last night and today. Thought it was kinda 'meh'. Nothing really grabbed me, although the graphics are very nice. Love the single player in these games though, so I'll be getting it for that.

So I just learned there will be no campaign in this one... Well, there goes my excitement.

So i wonder how many of the modes/maps will support even support 20vs20 gameplay. From what i played of drop zone the gameplay is awful when scaled down to smaller maps with no vehicles or heroes.

They should just completely dump the pointless unlock system and make proper classes. Not every fucking multiplayer game needs a grind to be fun. Having a sniper rifle as a unlockable secondary weapon.... really what the hell were they thinking?

It's seems every reboot ever goes out of their way to simplify change around what made the originals great. It's not like the original games were all that complicated that things need to be changed. Not every game needs to jump on to every modern gaming trend to be successful.

Last edited:
So i wonder how many of the modes/maps will support even support 20vs20 gameplay. From what i played of drop zone the gameplay is awful when scaled down to smaller maps with no vehicles or heroes.

They should just completely dump the pointless unlock system and make proper classes. Not ever fucking multiplayer game needs a grind to be fun. Having a sniper rifle as a unlockable secondary weapon.... really what the hell were they thinking?

It's seems every reboot ever goes out of their way to simplify change around what made the originals great. It's not like the original games were all that complicated that things need to be changed. Not every game needs to jump on to every modern gaming trend to be successful.

It seems obvious to me they dumbed-down the game to such an extent to cater to Star Wars fans that are not fps/shooter fans. Joe Casual who never plays fps/shooters but has six Star Wars posters and two princess Leia ''dolls'' is digging the new SW BETA! This is where I see most of the divisiveness of this BETA. I think the overwhelming number of people that are enjoying the game are super-casual shooter/fps fans that love SW (duh!). But the biggest backlash is pretty much everyone who enjoys good fps.

Anybody try the card game at starwarsbattlefront.com? It just killed 2 hours of my time and I had to stop myself because I'm totally suckered in by turn based games.

It seems obvious to me they dumbed-down the game to such an extent to cater to Star Wars fans that are not fps/shooter fans. Joe Casual who never plays fps/shooters but has six Star Wars posters and two princess Leia ''dolls'' is digging the new SW BETA! This is where I see most of the divisiveness of this BETA. I think the overwhelming number of people that are enjoying the game are super-casual shooter/fps fans that love SW (duh!). But the biggest backlash is pretty much everyone who enjoys good fps.

lol...the problem is that there's a subsection of gamers who are set in their ways and who somehow can't have fun with a simple multiplayer shooter anymore...every game doesn't have to be the greatest game ever to be enjoyable...I enjoy the depth, gameplay and lore of Dark Souls yet can appreciate a dumbed down imitator like Lords of the Fallen...most of the hate towards the Battlefront beta are coming from disgruntled BF players...there's always been an arrogance to hard core BF players where they feel they can't lower themselves to play a game they feel is beneath their standards

the game is casual and has no real depth but believe it or not a game like this can still actually be fun...yes it's meant to appeal to SW fans...I don't see an issue at all with this...they know there market...if you want BF4 then shocker this game is not that...DICE is actually making a game called BF5 for them...BF gamers are taking such offense to Battlefront that it's comical...how dare DICE make a game that appeals to SW fans and less hard core players!

I also think that BF appeals to an older demo and older people don't like change but that another story...

A co-op campaign would have been nice. I probably would have bought the game just for that. Im holding off buying to see where it is headed.

Well i might wait for a sale price but im buying it regardless....love battlefield games and love the older star wars.....should be awesome watching the movie then coming home to play the game. Cash grab yes but i blow money on worse things:)

Can someone tell me where the heck do the powerups spawn once you've moved out of the inital spawn area? I know where they spawn at the start, but once the game gets going and the spawns move forward I have a HECK of a time finding any powerups that don't seem to be rare/random.

I've played about 25 games and only found Darth Vader once :(, never found Luke, and I had no idea what I was doing lol.

Also is it just me, or is there no way to actually "roll" when flying? Like I can't figure out how to do a barrel roll with just the controls myself (not using the stunt buttont hat does it).

SURELY they are going to allow you to roll yourself? Seems absurd not to be able to. IT feels so sloppy. I'd much rather have w/s control pitch and a/d control roll.

I think the actual power-up locations are the same, they just rotate "perks".

My favorite power-up is the AT-AT. I got that baby at the end of the map when all the Rebels were out in the open. Killed like 35 of them in a row before my timer expired. I love that every kill gives you another second or two.

I also love the challenge of getting head-shot's. Game is very fun..

Hot damn. Played walker assault all night with an excellent team.

Whoever says the game is imbalanced against rebels is playing with terrible teams.
Every other round we were rebels we would win. Someone would find the orbital strike and sit on it until the walkers were exposed. Every turret firing, every x-wing blasting them, everyone else firing blasters and rockets.

One round we took down both walkers on the first pass. The round lasted less than 10 minutes. We had 13 Y-wings, 2 X-wings in the air, orbital strike, and everyone firing at the walkers. The highest kill count was 5, and only a couple guys on our rebel team had positive k/d since everyone fired at the AT-AT's and gave up defending themselves. It was glorious and I wish I had recorded it.

Most of the other rounds that night we won on the second and third uplinks.

lol...the problem is that there's a subsection of gamers who are set in their ways and who somehow can't have fun with a simple multiplayer shooter anymore...every game doesn't have to be the greatest game ever to be enjoyable...I enjoy the depth, gameplay and lore of Dark Souls yet can appreciate a dumbed down imitator like Lords of the Fallen...most of the hate towards the Battlefront beta are coming from disgruntled BF players...there's always been an arrogance to hard core BF players where they feel they can't lower themselves to play a game they feel is beneath their standards

the game is casual and has no real depth but believe it or not a game like this can still actually be fun...yes it's meant to appeal to SW fans...I don't see an issue at all with this...they know there market...if you want BF4 then shocker this game is not that...DICE is actually making a game called BF5 for them...BF gamers are taking such offense to Battlefront that it's comical...how dare DICE make a game that appeals to SW fans and less hard core players!

I also think that BF appeals to an older demo and older people don't like change but that another story...

Well said. I loved DS and I really Liked LOTF. I'll pass on this one because of the no single player campaign. I loved the Jedi Knight single player campaign

My question to you is why should shooter fans accept a "causal game with no real depth" simply because the devs paid for a Star Wars license? Should there not be some depth? Should replay value be based solely on the player's desire to 'play Star Wars'?

Your "older people don't like change" statement is rich though, considering that the biggest changes to FPS over the past 10 years have involved the removal of features that used to be standard for the genre. We cry foul when things like mod tools, dedicated servers, and server browsers are excluded from games because we know better. This newer generation that is learning that PC gaming is "click the play now button for a throwaway experience" is a travesty.

I come from a time of the original Duke Nukem, Counter-Strike and Quake 1/2. Pretty simple games more about fast and accurate shooting then depth of play. Still plenty of fun though.

SWBF feels just like a Battlefield game but with everything being Star Wars. I don't see what's wrong with that. Not to mention we've only seen a small fraction of the game so far.

As for server browsers and what not, are we sure there won't be a "Battlelog" type setup?

These copy/paste/change theme games are all disappointing. Here let's just add Mechs, or let's just make BF4 but Star Wars themed. It's stupid. When are we going to get a GREAT game that isn't a clone of something else? Devs need to stop copying the BF and COD series and actually release something original.

I haven't been excited or happy with an online shooter since BF3. But now Dice is junk and EA ruined the series. We really need a good game to come along in this genre to reinvigorate it.

Hot damn. Played walker assault all night with an excellent team.

Whoever says the game is imbalanced against rebels is playing with terrible teams.
Every other round we were rebels we would win. Someone would find the orbital strike and sit on it until the walkers were exposed. Every turret firing, every x-wing blasting them, everyone else firing blasters and rockets.

One round we took down both walkers on the first pass. The round lasted less than 10 minutes. We had 13 Y-wings, 2 X-wings in the air, orbital strike, and everyone firing at the walkers. The highest kill count was 5, and only a couple guys on our rebel team had positive k/d since everyone fired at the AT-AT's and gave up defending themselves. It was glorious and I wish I had recorded it.

Most of the other rounds that night we won on the second and third uplinks.

This precisely. Seems like a lot of people are deciding they know everything about the game after 10 minutes. I put in 4-5 hours yesterday on Hoth sporadically and was able to dominate on either side, its just about finding the nuances and grooves to the mode, learning the pickup locations, learning the strengths of each faction. Sniping for headshots is a lot of fun with the Cycler, learning the vehicles is fun. The A-Wing for example is very powerful - I see people realizing that and staying up the whole round, melting AT-ST's in seconds. Learning where the Orbital Strike pickups are for Rebels is also key, a single one takes an AT-AT down to like 20%.

This vid on "5 ways to win as Rebels" mirrors my experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEb7hnOox8

$45 on GMG makes this game an easier buy for me. I am really looking forward to Endor. And I am not hating Drop Zone, this coming from someone that mostly avoided TDM in BF3 and BF4. The verticality with the jetpacks, the sniping, the melee brawling that ensues while you're in a personal shield - just makes it fun. Love the sound effects to the Imploder as well.

Last edited:
I'm a guy that LOVED BF2, played it religiously for years. Then BF3 came out. I enjoyed it, but started to wonder if we have "too much of a good thing" with respect to depth. I didn't even bother with BF4 since I didn't want to build another player so close to the BF3 release.

For Battlefront, I actually appreciate them going with a more simple, basic approach. The hardcore elements can be added later, but I'm actually enjoying a more simple approach.

I'm a guy that LOVED BF2, played it religiously for years. Then BF3 came out. I enjoyed it, but started to wonder if we have "too much of a good thing" with respect to depth. I didn't even bother with BF4 since I didn't want to build another player so close to the BF3 release.

For Battlefront, I actually appreciate them going with a more simple, basic approach. The hardcore elements can be added later, but I'm actually enjoying a more simple approach.

Yep. *Ofcourse* I wish there were more Battlefield like elements in Battlefront - things like squads and classes. Vehicles and aircraft maneuvering and handling also need a come-to-jesus epiphany as do the spawn locations. Some of those can be improved before launch or soon after. But regardless, I don't care what the popular consensus is to a shooter - whether it's considered too casual or too simmy or MLG/not-MLG enough -- I play it and if it hooks me then I keep playing it. And I don't even particularly care for Star Wars.

We'll get our monster Battlefield successor with all the usual elements on a nextgen DX12/Vulkan API in a year; so this is just a fun diversion for now. Meanwhile they're continuing to support BF4 with enhancements and new free DLC maps - now 2 years after its launch, so you can't say they dropped BF4 just because a new game is coming out.

My question to you is why should shooter fans accept a "causal game with no real depth" simply because the devs paid for a Star Wars license? Should there not be some depth? Should replay value be based solely on the player's desire to 'play Star Wars'?

Your "older people don't like change" statement is rich though, considering that the biggest changes to FPS over the past 10 years have involved the removal of features that used to be standard for the genre. We cry foul when things like mod tools, dedicated servers, and server browsers are excluded from games because we know better. This newer generation that is learning that PC gaming is "click the play now button for a throwaway experience" is a travesty.

you don't have to accept the game...just don't play it if it's not your type of game...but BF players have to make some kind of political statement about why the game is dumbed down or for SW nerds etc...BF5 will come along soon enough to make fans happy so there's no need to belittle other people's enjoyment of Battlefront

and yes Battlefront has a lot of issues (the spawn issue is really annoying) but I can overlook its flaws and enjoy the game for what it is...and yes people's desires for a good Star Wars game is very important...in the same way that Rocksteady fulfilled that desire for a good Batman game...same way people's desires for a good game based on the Aliens universe was met with Alien Isolation

These copy/paste/change theme games are all disappointing. Here let's just add Mechs, or let's just make BF4 but Star Wars themed. It's stupid. When are we going to get a GREAT game that isn't a clone of something else? Devs need to stop copying the BF and COD series and actually release something original.

I haven't been excited or happy with an online shooter since BF3. But now Dice is junk and EA ruined the series. We really need a good game to come along in this genre to reinvigorate it.

That's all well and good on paper. What may be a good game for you may not be for another. Not to mention, creating a game idea that is revolutionary is a bit harder these days. People have been thinking about computer game design for decades now, there isn't an infinite number of good ideas.

Back