Star Wars: Battlefront Reboot

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, Jun 11, 2013.

1. TheOneKnownAsMe

TheOneKnownAsMe [H]ard|Gawd

I've heard and read that they're not hacks specifically for Battlefront, but hacks for BF3/4 for the Frostbyte engine, and Fairfight detects them and just bans them anyway.

Pretty sure I was in a few rounds with you, there can't be many "CaptinnNumbNutz" (or something like that ) out there.

2. MorgothPl

MorgothPl 2[H]4U

I like it... but I can't wait till the launch and all the "pro gamers" level fast and leave the "casual servers", so I can play on equal fields with people of my level of play.

3. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

I would caution against making any assumptions about how a map plays after only a single time. My first impression was ho-hum but then it grew on me once I learned the ebb and flow of it. Most people just got into the beta and so are running around like humble bundle noobs shooting rocks after a BF4 $5 sale, and don't really know what they're doing. Once the game is out, water will seek its own level, things will settle into a rhythm and I'm sure balance adjustments will be made as necessary.

It's really not that hard to win as either side, just have to learn the side's strengths first.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

lol good one. I love how the theme song ends right when he gets squished.

Most people charge out because the health tick-down on the Heroes is pretty fast. Too fast IMO.

5. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

There are plenty of haters and imitators, but only ONE CaptNumbNutz. Double check the spelling. :D

6. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

They didn't really need alpha access. The east euro fuckers that are typically behind aimbots like AA probably had it done in 20 minutes, just a matter of taking their existing Frostbite framework and finding the new CVARS for Battlefront. They are kind of a nuisance during open beta's since a PB or FF ban just means making another free account.

Not worth worrying about. People freaking out about seeing global Fairfight ban messages scrolling across the server screen don't really understand how the system works - it doesn't mean people were just on the server you're playing on and got banned. Its more of a global ticker, a PR tool like "see, FF is doing its job". I do hope FF got some detection upgrades since BF4 though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 [H]ardness Supreme

All nitpicking aside, I had fun playing with my friends last night, and THE SOUND. It might be the best sounding game I've ever played. It really pulls you into the Star Wars universe.

8. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

its a console game.:mad:
    someone needs to fire dice designers for not making us a pc game.

bored to tears playing beta.
    it goes the hardline way,none will play it after a while.

9. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I'll give it a few more shots but I suspect it won't improve much. The whole concept seems fundamentally flawed.

10. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

11. Dion

Dion 2[H]4U

You clearly haven't played the old Original PC titles. Nothing was fancy about the gameplay mechanics in those games either. People play these games for Star Wars.. Not ultra realistic gameplay lol. If you aren't into star wars the game isn't for you.

12. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

They might sell decently, but one of my fears is because it is so similar to the originals. I bought both and the MP in each were dead in a month or two.

13. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Okay so some of you don't like it...
    [​IMG]
    :)

14. atom

atom Gawd

I don't get all the negativity. You don't like the feel of the guns. Recoil is almost non-existent. You realize these aren't guns right? They are emitting beams of light out the barrel. The little bit of recoil you get seems perfect. In theory maybe caused by the expansion of gas from heat?

I can confirm this game runs at 60FPS on a 280x! I am even running on a lowly FX 8350. Wow. It looks freaking great. Some of the big games lately have been open world games so this feels so surprising that this hardware can do this on a game so beautiful. But really it just isn't drawing as much far-distance BS. Of course, the engine is probably superior to a lot of games. I'll leave the rest of that talk to the flame war going on in the other thread.

I agree, the maps are kinda MEH as far as layout goes. They feel like you are playing on the backdrop to a movie set. I have a theory as to why. BTW, I let my 6 year old play a little tonight and he is ecstatic. I normally don't let him play games like this but seeing as how there isn't blood and guts flying everywhere and people aren't getting stabbed or getting their necks snapped I felt like it was ok. I am kinda ticked that there is no split screen on the PC version. Don't they realize a lot of us are couch players these days?

15. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Plus, if you could spray and pray with zero spread, it would ruin the gameplay and it would be ridiculous to spray players 300 yards away with no skill at all involved. haha

My theory for the smaller sized maps is to make the battles seem as full and populated as possible with only 40 players.

16. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Wait a minute...Small maps..poor balancing.....no recoil..power ups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

You don't have to worry about that here.

18. wannabeapilot

wannabeapilot Limp Gawd

Finally got past the black screen on startup by hitting alt + enter.

It then lets me play in windowed mode.

Anyone know what maps will be in the full game?

19. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

Except that was back in what, 2005? That gameplay was perfectly adequate back then, especially since you had quite a few classes and could fly the space ships. Nowadays that kind of gameplay just doesn't fly anymore.

20. Skizzy

Skizzy [H]ardness Supreme

Played with friends last night and today. Thought it was kinda 'meh'. Nothing really grabbed me, although the graphics are very nice. Love the single player in these games though, so I'll be getting it for that.

21. Canon

Canon 2[H]4U

I played it for a bit for the last couple nights. I have been levelling up in Drop Zone. Hopefully I'll try and tackle some AT STs tomorrow. I hear that mode is severely unbalanced, so we'll see.

I found the game play enjoyable overall but I doubt I'm interested in paying full price for this game since I don't think it will hold my interest. It's undeniably Star Wars though and that's awesome. Great sounds, music and the graphics look really nice in my opinion. Runs silky smooth as well.

22. Porter_

Porter_ [H]ardness Supreme

How do you equip 3 star cards in this game?

23. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

keep unlocking and purchasing items, it automatically unlocks...changing the star cards mapping to my side and middle mouse buttons really helped in a fast, twitch shooter like this

24. yourgrandma

yourgrandma [H]ard|Gawd

The originals had a active player base right up until the main server shutdown and you can still find active games on gameranger. I think even the community on ps2 was still active till only a few years ago.

25. Porter_

Porter_ [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks man, unlocking the ION SHOT did the trick.

26. atom

atom Gawd

I was having problems starting up too. I switched to borderless window and it worked better.

27. polonyc2

ion shot is great...I keep going back and forth between that and the Personal Shield...can't decide which one I like better

28. Pivo504

Pivo504 2[H]4U

why on earth did they not go with class based system & have vehicle stations with bases on each side of the map? The power up system is so lame...Not being able to control a bunch of the iconic vehicles sucks also...I doubt ill be buying this prob wait until someone mods it to what it should have been from the beginning... I still dont understand how FPS gaming never seems to go forward in any aspects but graphics..Games get prettier but gameplay gets worse than what we had in 1990's...Why not give us cool transport vehicles, allow us to control ATAT and all the other iconic vechiles. Give each side there own base, get rid of power ups and give us class based system....major disappointment wasnt surprised...

29. polonyc2

does the Sharpshooter star card give you increased accuracy or anything or is the only reward less cooldown the more headshots you get?

30. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

31. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 [H]ardness Supreme

That's actually a pretty cool little detail. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. It shows that someone at DICE put a lot of thought into what they were making.

32. polonyc2

the air fighters on the Hoth map are pretty fun to use once you learn the controls...there doesn't seem to be a time limit either like the other power-ups...only thing is sometimes it's hard to tell where you are on the map so you pretty much need to fly low to the ground

33. BroHamBone

BroHamBone [H]ard|Gawd

Ummm.....PC gaming is for online friends....not real life friends. Get with the program. Now, back to my cave to play with my online friends. :D

34. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

No on accuracy, its headshots = reduced cooldowns. There's another card that's not in the beta that will be an accuracy booster (presumably will reduce spread slightly).

35. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Hmm maybe there's a chance Endor get opened before end of beta after all. Someone's game glitched and they got dropped into this lobby. Seems unlikely however, given Endor has gotta have monster texture data, and for the 11GB install size of the beta that already includes two maps plus all the audio, seems unlikely.

[​IMG]

From Reddit
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  36. mstersmith80

mstersmith80 [H]Lite

I couldn't uninstall this pile of crap fast enough. I am sure the console peasants will enjoy but this game has no place on PC.

37. polydiol

polydiol [H]ard|Gawd

Would be great if Endor was unlocked but bad - I have a huge programming assignment due next Friday and I have no self control when it comes to Star Wars.

38. another-user

another-user Gawd

i played for a couple hours this evening, hit rank 5, blah blah... the game just feels so empty and boring.

39. polonyc2

finally found my first Hero Power-Up tonight- Luke!...was pretty cool and too short but the best part was I ran into Vader on the Battlefield and killed him :D

the aerial combat is a lot of fun...if they had made space vehicle combat a bigger part of the game then it could have taken this game to epic heights

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

40. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

I can't believe this bug still exists:

[​IMG]