Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

What are the thoughts about Freelancer MIS? I am thinking about melting a lifetime insured cutlass package and $15 worth of skins, then all i have to pay up is about $40 more to get it. Not sure if it is worth it though.

What are the thoughts about Freelancer MIS? I am thinking about melting a lifetime insured cutlass package and $15 worth of skins, then all i have to pay up is about $40 more to get it. Not sure if it is worth it though.

i honestly think the cutlass will be better all round. plus we haven't seen the variants yet.

you are better off grey market selling your cutlass with LTI and then not putting any new money into it if you are really going to get rid of your lti ship, they are worth around 80-120 more than what you paid for it on the grey market.

i was already offered 180 for my lti pirate pack but i turned it down.

but as for swapping a cutlass for a freelancer. that kinda depends on what you want from your ship.

Freelancer is likely faster in a straight line. 2 T5 main thrusters, but it has 8 TR2 maneuvering thrusters compared to the 2 T4 main thrusters and 16 TR2 maneuvering thrusters on the cutlass.

they both weigh roughly the same amount too so it comes down to straight line speed or handling and the weapon loadout you might prefer.

the stat page shows the Freelancer MIS missing its manned class 5 turret too not sure what that is about tho since it shows it on the back still.

You might just pick up the upgrade for the time being if you're going to wind up with a non-LTI lancer anyway. That way you could keep your cutlass and just earn a lancer in game. That of course presumes you like the cutlass and assumes you can apply an upgrade after the fact. Clearing that up with service would be a good idea too.

you are better off grey market selling your cutlass with LTI and then not putting any new money into it if you are really going to get rid of your lti ship, they are worth around 80-120 more than what you paid for it on the grey market.

but as for swapping a cutlass for a freelancer. that kinda depends on what you want from your ship.

Freelancer is likely faster in a straight line. 2 T5 main thrusters, but it has 8 TR2 maneuvering thrusters compared to the 2 T4 main thrusters and 16 TR2 maneuvering thrusters on the cutlass.

they both weigh roughly the same amount too so it comes down to straight line speed or handling and the weapon loadout you might prefer.

the stat page shows the Freelancer MIS missing its manned class 5 turret too not sure what that is about tho since it shows it on the back still.

Yeah I was also looking and compared all freelancer versions, cutlass , my superhornet and constellation to get a sense on where ships ranked and it looks like except the all out freelancer transport, Cutlass carries more load the the other 3 Freelancers, on top of the sucker punch class 1 weapon and a class 5 weapon which is only available ( so far) with constellation and up chasis i think. Class 5 weapon, big manned turret, docking collar and greater than freelancer cargo capacity makes it look like Cutlass is the best all rounder and as you guys pointed out, we have not even seen the variants yet.

I am just worried that I might really want a reloading missile boat and freelancer MIS is the right ship and the price, just do not know if it will be always avalible since it says it is limited production.
At the same time if I get a freelancer outright, technically I am getting 2 of the similar class ships ( freelancer and cutlass), I could be better off with a constellation instead of the two :)

I had basically the same question myself, but I am waiting to see the Cutlass Search & Rescue variant before I make a decision as to which ship I convert my Avenger to.

My Aurora is being converted to a Mustang when that upgrade becomes available.

if you really want a missile boat, work at getting a retaliator in game. it is the real missile boat ;)

if you really want a missile boat, work at getting a retaliator in game. it is the real missile boat ;)

Missile boat? Me?

I am a scavenger, I only take things from floating ships (parts, weapons, anything worth money) so for me, a Freelancer MAX or a Cutlass S&R are the way to go.
The Mustang is for my son! :)

Speaking of Cutlass S&R, anyone have that image again?

Missile boat? Me?

I am a scavenger, I only take things from floating ships (parts, weapons, anything worth money) so for me, a Freelancer MAX or a Cutlass S&R are the way to go.
The Mustang is for my son! :)

Speaking of Cutlass S&R, anyone have that image again?

that was for andy, he mentioned wanting a missile boat with the freelancer MIS

I am just worried that I might really want a reloading missile boat and freelancer MIS is the right ship and the price, just do not know if it will be always avalible since it says it is limited production.

I think the ship cargo capacity and weights badly need another pass. Looking at the Cutlass and FL models in-game right now the FL has a lot more cargo space. The FL also had twice the cargo space of the cutlass on the stats page for a long time.

I agree that buying the MIS upgrade now would be your best option Andyk5. You'll spend the same amount of RL cash and have greater options down the road.

I might- let me go check the other machine...

Hmm... Nope. I don't know where that shot went...

Last edited:

Yup, sold my lti digital pirate for $220, repurchased a cutlass and had $105 left over to play with. I did buy a freelancer (payed $20 diff) hoping the variants were cool but was disapointed so I sold it for a 325a and aurora ln pledge so now I have all 3 to try in dfm. Will melt for either a gladiator or a cutlass variant

yeah i am currently looking to sell my lti cutlass for 220 also, will most likely rebuy the cutlass non lti and pick up the Avenger to play with that when that comes out in the AC and if the retaliator goes back up for sale i will most likely melt my cutlass and avenger and use what ever store credit is remaining + pay the difference to get a retaliator back.

Yeah, I was really close to buying the retaliator when it was avalible for sale. I wonder if it will ever come back?

I think I am going to buy the Freelancer MIS outright, now need to decide if the $15 difference is worth 6motnhs of insurance, 5000 credits and another character slot or not.

I have been really conservative about spending money on this game, partially because we have no clue how good the final game will be (although so far it seems pretty awesome), and partially because we have no real idea how hard or easy it will be to acquire in-game currency to buy ships that way. The problem with the business model so far is that the credit balance has to be JUST right. If the ships are too cheap, people will complain about spending hundreds of dollars on ships that people got in just a week or so of playing. If they're too expensive, it becomes a pseudo pay-to-win situation. So I think the balance is going to be difficult.

Honestly, I just want to play a great SP campaign and then do a private MP server with my friends, like in Freelancer. I'll dabble in the MMO aspect a bit but my guess is that I won't spend too much time on it.

I really hope the game ends up being as open to modding/private servers and whatnot as was claimed in the Kickstarter.

digital pirate pack sold pretty quick for 220 RSI credit. so if i want a retaliator later when they come back i only need to put in $30

I really hope the game ends up being as open to modding/private servers and whatnot as was claimed in the Kickstarter.

Modding/private servers in a game where they're charging money for in-game assets? Don't hold your breath.

Modding/private servers in a game where they're charging money for in-game assets? Don't hold your breath.

its already confirmed full modding will be supported with official tools and every thing for private servers only of course

If not, they flat-out lied about the premise of the game. So I seriously hope so.

However I do share some concerns about how they've monetized the game so far and how that will affect how open the title is.

digital pirate pack sold pretty quick for 220 RSI credit. so if i want a retaliator later when they come back i only need to put in $30

I hope they come back, I am on board as well for letting go of digital pirate for $220 and $+30 for the retaliator, we can fly bomber formation lol :)

yeah, i really like the tali. plus it can be a heavily armed transport with its 720 freight unit capacity. nice turret coverage for protection.

and if you can mix and match the cargo capacity like say only allocate 420 to cargo and the rest to missile racks it could be even more defensive.

Since pretty much everyone here experienced Xplor's stupid invite spam this might be worth a laugh. A bunch of Sanctus members accepted Xplor's invitation and proceeded to spam all of them with invites to Sanctus, this is the end result:
ikYBCvD.png

Bunch of hypocrites that can't stomach the taste of their own medicine lol

I hope they come back, I am on board as well for letting go of digital pirate for $220 and $+30 for the retaliator, we can fly bomber formation lol :)

yeah, i really like the tali. plus it can be a heavily armed transport with its 720 freight unit capacity. nice turret coverage for protection.

and if you can mix and match the cargo capacity like say only allocate 420 to cargo and the rest to missile racks it could be even more defensive.

Thing I hated about the tali was that it is ship only. Nothing else, IIRC not even alpha/beta access (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Digi Pirate at least got you goodies for the $$$.

Thing I hated about the tali was that it is ship only. Nothing else, IIRC not even alpha/beta access (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Digi Pirate at least got you goodies for the $$$.

While that is true you will now have the option to cross chassis upgrade to one when they add that to the store.

Will the M50 be available again, anyone think?

Finally got done getting a good look at all the Freelancer Variants up close in the hangar. I have to say the detail on these things is amazing and the unpainted metal OMFG...

I think I'm just going to grab the MAX upgrade for now, the MIS is cool and I would love to see a Freelancer drop out of a jumpoint and see it unload 56 Missiles on some poor folks. However I really just wanted my freelancer for exploration or small cargo hauls. I may just end up outfitting it in the DUR once it's all said and done untill I can get a Carrack.

I think every limited ship will probably be back at some point not counting the Idris M or P and the Scythe. I think every thing else will come back either for another sale event or once it's in the hangar/DFM.

I think every limited ship will probably be back at some point not counting the Idris M or P and the Scythe. I think every thing else will come back either for another sale event or once it's in the hangar/DFM.

at least once since they are all going to have variants/ commercials.

I have been really conservative about spending money on this game, partially because we have no clue how good the final game will be (although so far it seems pretty awesome), and partially because we have no real idea how hard or easy it will be to acquire in-game currency to buy ships that way. The problem with the business model so far is that the credit balance has to be JUST right. If the ships are too cheap, people will complain about spending hundreds of dollars on ships that people got in just a week or so of playing. If they're too expensive, it becomes a pseudo pay-to-win situation. So I think the balance is going to be difficult.

Agreed. And I have also yet to play an MMO that didn't have at least moderately borked economic aspects at launch, so....

How many hours of playtime (from launch, i.e. starting with a newb ship/etc) do you think is reasonable to acquire, say, a Connie?

Can't really answer that question

I don't see why not. You don't really need to know precisely how the economy is going to shake out to have an opinion of what is a reasonable ratio between RL dollars vs. time in game to earn money.

E.g. if a Connie costs $250 but only takes 10 hours to earn in game I'd say most people that bought one are going to feel like they didn't get much value for their money. While if it typically takes 6 months of playing to earn enough EUC for a Connie, most people that can't or won't use RL cash to buy in game items are going to feel like it takes absolutely forever to get any of the "good stuff".

You guys know if the game will have space to planet transitions similar to No Mans Sky ?

there will not be transitions at launch.

they are working on procedural stuff for post launch but that would be a long ways down the road

It looks like I am getting sucked in to another LTI thinking process myself. Now looking at it from a different point of view.
I have 2 packages and they came with 6000 UEC total. Now since they game is not out, I do not know what really can be done with that much credits, but now looking a the store, I see that even mediocre side weapons for the hornet cost twice as much. Meaning 6000 UEC is pretty much nothing.
Now lets compare ship price to sub system price. 1000 credits is $1, a hornet/super hornet is about $150, so I could safely say that a hornet in game will go for about 150000 UEC or so. I am not sure how hard it would be to earn 150000 credits but I am guessing that will be the rate. If a weapon subsystem costs ~10000 credits, considering ball turrets, propulsion, avionics upgrades, missiles racks etc...it would cost you just as much to fit a hornet as you it costs you to buy it. So I would say 300000 UEC for a fully fitted hornet ( probably not with the rarest subsystems). Now in game insurance is supposed to be cheap and was said that within a short period of time the insurance burden on ships on your economic status is not going to be a lot. I would go by a real life example.
Full coverage insurance for a $30000 car can range anywhere between $800-$2000 per 6 months here in the US, depending on your driving record, DUI's etc. Lets go with an average/low value and take $1000 per 6 months, which is 1/30th of the cars value. In the case of a hornet, since it only covers the chasis, it would be about 5000 UEC for 6 months of insurance. Meaning losing a fully fitted hornet would cost you about 20000 UEC to replace the same ship and weapons versus 15000 UEC with LTI.
Which makes sense and if true, LTI would only help
a) if you could throw you ship in to the fire and die 15 times in one day trying to complete a mission which is not possible since they said that you have wait a certain amount of time before your ship is replaced. Also equipment cost would eat up a lot of your money anyways.
b) if you have a scythe.

So my final personal conclusion is unless you have a Scythe or maybe an Idris which would be a lot of money to insure, LTI really does not mean much except bragging rights. I guess it could make it easier for you to just cheaply outfit your ship at the begining of the game and go anywhere and not worry about getting blown up since you can just come back and hop on another LTI ship, ( Cutlass in my case) and continue while hornet is being replaced, and not take any economical hit and have a better wallet growth until you reach 100k/200k UEC wallet size.

I went through the thought process because I was trying to gauge to see if I want to cough up some extra dough and grey market purhase an LTI retaliator. It does not seem like a good idea, unless LTI gamble pays off exceptionally in game, where people ( probably macro miners and farmers) offer ridiculous sums of UEC in game just to have an LTI ship.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. You don't really need to know precisely how the economy is going to shake out to have an opinion of what is a reasonable ratio between RL dollars vs. time in game to earn money.

E.g. if a Connie costs $250 but only takes 10 hours to earn in game I'd say most people that bought one are going to feel like they didn't get much value for their money. While if it typically takes 6 months of playing to earn enough EUC for a Connie, most people that can't or won't use RL cash to buy in game items are going to feel like it takes absolutely forever to get any of the "good stuff".

Most of that depends on what the credit cost of ships will be, how many credits you get for doing what jobs, etc. The only thing we have so far are the credits from early backing and whatnot...I think it says I have 13k credits or something. No idea how much that will get me.

I guess it could make it easier for you to just cheaply outfit your ship at the begining of the game and go anywhere and not worry about getting blown up since you can just come back and hop on another LTI ship, ( Cutlass in my case) and continue while hornet is being replaced, and not take any economical hit and have a better wallet growth until you reach 100k/200k UEC wallet size.

there would be no economical hit with a non lti ship vs and lti ship when it comes to getting blown up.

if you have 6 months of coverage on your ship just like an lti ship and they both get blown up they would both cost or not cost the same amount to get a replacement. and that 6 months of coverage continues on to your replacement vessel also. you do not need to re-insure the replacement it is already covered by the 6 months insurance.

so lti and normal insurance offer the same protection other than the fact that you do not need the renew every 6 months or monthly or yearly for a fee.

in the long term LTI is pretty meaningless unless you have like 50 ships that you plan to fly around in all the time renewing the insurance on 50 at the same time every 6 months could be a huge chunk of money to pay.

but for the average person that does not plan to just have a ton of ships they are flying around in randomly and only have a 1-5 ships they actively use the fees wont be that big of a deal.

and you do not need to insure a ship that is just sitting in your hangar that you are not using. if you decide you want to use that ship there will likely be some sort of warning letting you know that the insurance is expired on the ship before you use it so you dont have to worry about taking off in a ship without insurance on accident.

ok so the Stella costs $250 which translates. to 250k uec, but they have said that this doesn't reflect the actual price of the ship, i think they said it would cost more uec than that.

now what do we know about uec......nothing. we don't know how much its worth, besides the arbitrary 1$=1000 uec. we don't know how long it will take make 1000 uec in game. we don't know how the economy will effect the value of uec, if at all.

so its basically not possible to say how long it will take to earn a ship.

Edit as for the starting funds you get with packages i believe that's just to get you up and running with fule ammo and any other supplies you will need to start off. that's why they don't let you use it to buy stuff right now.

Last edited:
Back