So, who's thinking about Borderlands?

Once I disabled mouse smoothing and added FOV hotkey the game got a whole lot better! Posting link again for anyone who missed it earlier, has a good running list of tweaks/fixes.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998374

Thank GOD for that fov fix. I wasn't sure if it was because of the medicine I've been on (I have the flu), but playing this game made me nauseous after a little while. I really wanted to keep playing last night, but thought it was gonna make me puke lol

this took care of it.

You still have to toggle the fix each time you move from one area to another or vehicle? How annoying is that?

You still have to toggle the fix each time you move from one area to another or vehicle? How annoying is that?

The game has been out for a brief time and look how much help we've already gotten. :)

I bet someone is going to figure that out in fairly short order at this rate. :)

It's just something we shouldn't need to figure out I would think, but it doesn't stop me from playing. It should be an option. Same goes for the microphone. No options whatsoever makes no sense.

Played 6 hours straight last night and got to level 20. I haven't put in non-stop hours like that in a few years... since WoW.

Has anyone else tried putting -DX9 in the command line of of the game shortcut? My FPS doubles... but I don't get why b/c the game isn't dx10 anyways and the graphics look the same visually, but with double the performance.

I played for about 6 hours last night and got to level 18 in co-op, pretty awesome

Is co-op working for some or is it fixed now? I tried getting it to work last night and it wouldn't let me join a game or let me join my buddies game. He couldn't join mine either... Maybe it has to do with my router i dunno.

Coop worked fine for me. I played with a buddy of mine over LAN yesterday for about 7 hours without issue.

Only problems I've noticed were with the FOV and possibly that SLI was not being utilized (I read earlier that the game doesn't have a profile yet so this may be accurate).

The game has been a blast so far.

Can you shoot them?
You can, but it doesnt do anything. I wish the enviroment was more destructable. I tried shooting the bottles on the bar, and they are just sprites, the bullets go right through them like nothing is there. Same with the make shift walls/doors, would be cool if a rocket launcher destroyed them.

I think it's pretty funny that autoaim is turned on for PC players by default.
Yeah, that is the first thing I turned off. Who honestly 'wants' autoaim on PC. That is a huge sign that it may have been ported from the console.

You can, but it doesnt do anything. I wish the enviroment was more destructable. I tried shooting the bottles on the bar, and they are just sprites, the bullets go right through them like nothing is there. Same with the make shift walls/doors, would be cool if a rocket launcher destroyed them.

Yeah, that is the first thing I turned off. Who honestly 'wants' autoaim on PC. That is a huge sign that it may have been ported from the console.

I hope that this game is nice and moddable. It has some potential.

Also, the UI alone screams console port.

Played for about an hour this morning and its a blast. Thank god for the FOV fix and the disabled startup videos. It's unfortunate we have to "mod" so many things right out of the box though.

Last edited:
i was playing it for a while last night... fun but i noticed LOTS of bugs/issues. Still a blast i played about 3-4 hours of it.

... throwing a grenede from inside a doorway (using the bounce grenedes)... it got stuck on the door and was just massive amounts of sparks till it blew up.

The AI in the game is kinda horrible... they cant figure out doorways or anything. Getting the Mine key quest there was that level 15 boss guy... i was only level 11... i basicly got him to bug out on where you drop down (before getting in the arena)... he wouldnt drop down into that little pit... after killing the little psycho guys i basicly hid in the corner crit shotting him in the face till her died... and didnt take any damage...

had a run around with a guy where i was basicly going back and forth behind a box and the guy would run ALL the way around the pile of trash to fight me... so i would duck back and he would turn around and go back the other way

... still that being said.. game is fun!

I hope that this game is nice and moddable. It has some potential.

Also, the UI alone screams console port.

As much as I hate to admit it because this game is actually good... a lot about this game for the PC STEAM version does feel like it was like a console port. A patch or two could fix things right up thogh :D

The FOV tricks still don't work for me on the Steam version. :( I can only play for so long before I feel like I want to puke.

The FOV tricks still don't work for me on the Steam version. :( I can only play for so long before I feel like I want to puke.

It worked for me. Be sure to put that line in the willowgame.willowplayerinput section. Its the last section iirc. I had it in the wrong spot initially.

What characters are you guys playing? After reading a few posts it seems Brick falls off a bit later in game.

What characters are you guys playing? After reading a few posts it seems Brick falls off a bit later in game.

He's good til 50. On the second play through, the monsters just hit so hard that even in max tank he struggles in melee. He also just can't do enough damage later on with his fists.

Until then, it's a load of fun.

I put this :

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Under bEnableMouseSmoothing=true in the Engine.Playerinput section. I am running the STEAM version and the toggle works for me, it stays the same even when i get in a vehicle, go into a different section and after I am sprinting.

Try editing the WillowInput.ini then save and close and close the folder AND close steam and restart it then load up borderlands.

And of course change "90" to whatever you want your FOV value to be and your toggle key too...

I am loving this game. I have a 16 Hunter and 10 Berserker so far. I am thinking about mutliboxing with this game on my LAN at least to add some more fun and challenge keke...

Coop worked fine for me. I played with a buddy of mine over LAN yesterday for about 7 hours without issue.

Only problems I've noticed were with the FOV and possibly that SLI was not being utilized (I read earlier that the game doesn't have a profile yet so this may be accurate).

The game has been a blast so far.

There is an sli profile in 191.07 but it wasn't working so I installed nvidia's sli update v3 and ir added 2 profiles for borderlands and its working great.

He's good til 50. On the second play through, the monsters just hit so hard that even in max tank he struggles in melee. He also just can't do enough damage later on with his fists.

Until then, it's a load of fun.

What if you specced more in explosives and Tank?

There is an sli profile in 191.07 but it wasn't working so I installed nvidia's sli update v3 and ir added 2 profiles for borderlands and its working great.

Sweet I will have to do this when I get home. I'm still getting ~45 FPS on average but I would love to stay above 60 the whole time.

can anyone else play online? I cant host a game or join one with friends. this kinda sucks right now.

This game runs like absolute crap in XP x64. Missing textures, mouse control is screwed up, and low fps. Rebooted into 7 and it runs like a champ. :D

I have about 9+ hours logged on this game now, 80% of that being in SP mode, and odd as it is, I think I prefer SP over multiplayer. Last night, I had a buddy host a game, I joined, and so did 2 other random people. At first, I told him to kick them if he could but we had spent about an hour getting his ports forwarded so he decided to go anyway.

First thing I noticed was XP. I started a new character with him, by the time I hit the point where I was level 5 in SP (I remember this because I made at least a level 5 of every class in SP, and hit 5 where you get your class skill roughly at the same point/quest on each char) I was still level 3 and a half. I thought the XP was boosted with more players? Other thing that bugged me was how weapon/loot drops are handled. Correct me If I'm wrong, but from what I saw playing last night, it's just a free for all, see who can grab the item first a la Diablo? This would have been fine if it was just me and my buddy in the game, but with 2 other randoms, obviously they aren't going to say "Hey man, this might be better for you, you can have it."

Besides that, I'm having a blast so far, and I personally enjoy the quest system, but that's probably the few years of WoW conditioning. After that, it's almost hard for me to get into games that don't have some sort of XP/quest/grind.

can anyone else play online? I cant host a game or join one with friends. this kinda sucks right now.

I am having the same issue. Was told by several people its the ports. You need to forward the ports for it to work right. They didn't tell me which ones but I found these two pages while doing some research so hopefully this will help you. I won't know till I get home today.

Here is the first one which I am hoping tells me which ports I need to open and here is what should help walk you through on how to do it.

Any tips on making Crouch and Sprint buttons hold instead of toggle? I know it's something in WillowInput.ini but I can't quite figure it out.
I can't wait for TweakGuides to get their hands on this game.

BTW: It seems to run perfectly maxed out on my system at 1920x1200

I put this :

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Under bEnableMouseSmoothing=true in the Engine.Playerinput section. I am running the STEAM version and the toggle works for me, it stays the same even when i get in a vehicle, go into a different section and after I am sprinting.

Try editing the WillowInput.ini then save and close and close the folder AND close steam and restart it then load up borderlands.

And of course change "90" to whatever you want your FOV value to be and your toggle key too...

Still nothing. Dunno what's up with steam.

Make sure the binding is in the section [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput] in that file for the FOV one.

Back