Skyrim Modding Megathread

My brother bought me Skyrim for my bday this past weekend. I only put about eight hours before I ended up modding the crap out of it.

I haven't seen many posts about what mods everyone else are running that are working without the CTDs (I can't believe everyone is running every mod on the front page, but I'm pretty close heh).

So here are the mods that I'm working with and haven't had any problems with CTD thus far.

INI Tweaks:
fDefaultWorldFOV=90
Whatever the mouse smoothing code was = 0 but doesn't seem to work. I've gotten used to it.

Graphics:
Enhanced Blood Textures, No Screen Blood, Improved NPC Clothing, 101 Bugs HD, Skyrim HD 2k Textures, Realistic Water Textures, Dramatic Clouds, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Lush Grass, Serious HD Retexture Landscapes, Glowing Ore Veins 300, High Quality Food and Ingredients, gold lockpicks, Disable Kill Moves, Weapon Retexture Project, Shields HQ Retexture, A Quality World Map

UI:
SkyUI

Will be adding:
Nothing at the moment

Sounds:
Immersive Skyrim Thunder
The Sounds of Nature

Unsure of:
HQ Towns and Villages, HD Furniture and barrels. These conflict a lot with the HD Full mod and I'm unsure which would be the better option, so I've just left them out.

I'd just like to point out that after a few hours with the original UI I was still finding it hard to use and in minutes I was comfortable with SkyUI, epic kudos to them.

Last edited:
for some reason enhanced blood textures would CTD for me when I spoke to some npcs which is bull shit because it was awesome.:mad:

With patch 1.4 beta i can put the settings to ultra , everything maxed except shadows at medium...
looks like a totaly new game. :)

@Kerkain

I recommend getting the Skyrim HD - 2K Textures as the snow/road/building textures are much MUCH better than Serious HD. Especially the snow. Skyrim HD - 2K Textures also comes with a lot more than just landscape too, it includes buildings, rocks, water, doodads, furniture, etc. Just choose what you want installed as you fish through the download. Also, the Lite package is just as good as the original without killing performance as much as the Full package.

HD Furniture and Barrels is also quite nice and I actually prefer its textures over the HD - 2K Textures. Be sure to get SkyBoost and the performance mod QBZ linked a few posts back. Squeezing out extra frames is never a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure in Skyrim that all races are the same speed and jump the same height.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1286166-hidden-stat-differences-based-on-race-selection/
I ran some tests and had an Imperial character (scale value 1.00) run down a straight road (using the auto-run key) for 45 seconds. I then compared the same test (from the same starting save point) using a few other races. The results were as follows:

Wood Elf (scale = 0.98) : 47.3 seconds to run the track.
Imperial (scale = 1.00) : 46.35 seconds to run the track.
Nord (scale = 1.03) : 45 seconds to run the track.
High Elf (scale = 1.08) : 42.9 seconds to run the track.

Clearly the scale value assigned to their race is influencing their running speed. I also used a marker to test jumping height and the High Elf was clearly able to leap higher than the Wood Elf (or any of the other tested races).

If we assume the same scale influence applies to damage output (and we should), a 50 point melee attack from an Imperial would look like this:

Wood Elf (scale = 0.98) : 49 melee damage.
Imperial (scale = 1.00) : 50 melee damage.
Nord (scale = 1.03) : 51.5 melee damage.
High Elf (scale = 1.08) : 54 melee damage.

@Kerkain

HD Furniture and Barrels is also quite nice and I actually prefer its textures over the HD - 2K Textures. Be sure to get SkyBoost and the performance mod QBZ linked a few posts back. Squeezing out extra frames is never a bad thing.

For right now I've decided to stay away from SkyBoost. I agree a few frames are not that bad but I'm very comfortable with my frames around 35-40 depending on where I'm at. Worst I seen was ~25 and to me isn't horrid. Even with all the HD textures I've modded in.

And now that 1.4 is soon to be released, I can only expect it to get better. Hope that the patch, when released, doesn't screw up every mod too much...

There's really no reason to NOT use Skyboost. It seriously does make a positive difference - a fairly dramatic one in most cases.

There's really no reason to NOT use Skyboost. It seriously does make a positive difference - a fairly dramatic one in most cases.

Aside from personal preference really. I've added the mods I have currently cause I wanted to remove things that annoyed me or make things prettier. Performance hasn't been an annoyance for me.

When I get to a point when I'm watching a slide show I'll use Skyboost, if it will even be needed after 1.4.

;)

wait a second though, why should we assume this applies to damage output? that makes no sense!

They aren't assuming... go read the thread. When you change your scale to be much higher, you can take out giants and things with much less effort than normal. It has a definite impact on the damage your player does.

They aren't assuming... go read the thread. When you change your scale to be much higher, you can take out giants and things with much less effort than normal. It has a definite impact on the damage your player does.

oh i wasn't calling shens to that, i was simply saying that as a dev decision, it makes no sense for them to have done that, imo of course :)

Sure it does. The larger the person, the (hypothetically) harder they will be able to hit.

yea that's a big hypothetical. I would say their affinity towards certain types of learning should matter more than mere size... ie, imperial should hurt more than high elf. Just makes sense to me, that's all. (and yea, i can't get to the beth forums from work--thank god i can get to [H])

Has anyone tested the newest Skyboost test version? Does it work with 1.3 only or with 1.4 beta, too?

I tried the Skyboost r4 test 2 (not the sse4.1 as my cpu doesn t use it), gave 2-3 fps more.
No it's only compatible with 1.3.

When 1.4 is official they'll see if they can make a skyboost for it.

Maker of skyboost said he'd look into Fall out new vegas optimization.

I tried beta 1.4 it's alot faster than skyboost , you should definetively use it.
It reset my ini files , so make a back up if u modified it heavily.

Was running high and now running ultra ... cleared up lots of vram.

I tried the Skyboost r4 test 2 (not the sse4.1 as my cpu doesn t use it), gave 2-3 fps more.
No it's only compatible with 1.3.

When 1.4 is official they'll see if they can make a skyboost for it.

I tried beta 1.4 it's alot faster than skyboost , you should definetively use it.
It reset my ini files , so make a back up if u modified it heavily.

Was running high and now running ultra ... cleared up lots of vram.

I'm running the 1.4 beta. I'm waiting to see if Skyboost can take it a step further though.

maboblivion said:

To this day, both Fallout games are still freeze and crashy little bitches and I'm convinced a Skyboost type utility would help those games out considerably.

To this day, both Fallout games are still freeze and crashy little bitches and I'm convinced a Skyboost type utility would help those games out considerably.

Both FO games have corrupted my saves & crash constantly. I quit playing them after putting a ton of time into gameplay & adding fun mods. :( I wanted to beat both of them but something like Skyboost might allow me to play them as I'd want to again.

Both FO games have corrupted my saves & crash constantly. I quit playing them after putting a ton of time into gameplay & adding fun mods. :(

If you haven't done so, this is a lesson I've learned since the Oblivion days: Avoid quick and auto loads and saves.

I wanted to beat both of them but something like Skyboost might allow me to play them as I'd want to again.

It would help because I'm pretty sure this poor emphasis on the CPU concept goes back to at least Oblivion.

http://www.pdsys.org/blog/post/2009/02/07/Fallout-3-VideoDisplay-Freezes-sound-keeps-going.aspx

Those tweaks help but only so far. These games are overdue for serious help because I'm revisiting them again myself right now coming off Skyrim.

On topic for Skyrim: 2K HD Textures is up to version 1.4 now with some Solititude love.

I've had zero issues with Skyrim in regards to any of my saves. The autosaves have helped a ton since my 580 has been overheating lately due to being in a room with low airflow (waiting for new high CFM case fans that arriving Friday).

I may or may not ever get back to playing FO3 or FO:NV. I found that I prefer Skyrim & Oblivion over them.

So with the extra head room i got from beta 1.4 , everything on ultra except shadows, i decided to use adaptive aa with edge detect (amd). I dunno...can't get used to things not being blured from FXAA.

Bushes.... with individual leaves... tried it with fxaa in deus ex: hr and my pc rebooted :confused:

22 meg update to beta 1.4 patch ... no description on what was added fixed.

Man Skyrim Nexus has really gone to the pooper. It has been so slow the past week or so.

the beginning of the weekend seems to always slam nexus bad. You just have to know the right times to get on when it's the weekend (I have forgotten when those times were). Weekdays usually are just fine.

They've been in the middle of server and domain changes this past week or so.

Yeah, when they switched over to skyrim.nexusmods.com, the domain was totally unreachable. Did a check on it & they had no IP address within the A record in DNS.

They didn't do a very good job with the transition stage IMHO.

Yeah, when they switched over to skyrim.nexusmods.com, the domain was totally unreachable. Did a check on it & they had no IP address within the A record in DNS.

They didn't do a very good job with the transition stage IMHO.

Definitely could have been better but I suspect ultimately it will be well worth it.

^^ Nice stuff.

So it's January 30. One more day left in the month. So are we going to see Patch 1.4 finalized and the Creation Kit come out in the next couple of days? Somehow I doubt it.

I am about 99% sure that the Steam modding system they are working on is what is holding up the CK release.

I am about 99% sure that the Steam modding system they are working on is what is holding up the CK release.

It definitely sounds like that is the cause of the delay.

So it's January 30. One more day left in the month. So are we going to see Patch 1.4 finalized and the Creation Kit come out in the next couple of days? Somehow I doubt it.

A couple days ago, Bethesda stated that the CK is arriving with the patch, which is what they have been telling the community for a month or so. Then, I think on the same day, they state it will come shortly (hopefully shortly doesn't mean the same thing as "soon" to Bethesda) after. So I have no clue when to expect it.

From the Bethesda forums:
We really appreciate the feedback from our Steam Beta. We anticipate the 1.4 update going live next week for all on the PC and being sent to the console manufacturers. The Creation Kit won’t be far behind.

Using saves we’ve collected from the community, we’re really seeing some great results with the 1.4 update. Thanks to everyone!

I wager to guess it'll be out between today and Sunday ;). Creation Kit by mid February. That's my guess. To be wrong would be nice.

As for Steam causing the delay. Good. I'd rather them make it work the first time then have it not work, end up causing the game to not even load properly or even make the game look pirated or some stupid problem that will take a month to fix. So if Steam is causing the delays, good, make it work the first time.

From the Bethesda forums:

I wager to guess it'll be out between today and Sunday ;). Creation Kit by mid February. That's my guess. To be wrong would be nice.

As for Steam causing the delay. Good. I'd rather them make it work the first time then have it not work, end up causing the game to not even load properly or even make the game look pirated or some stupid problem that will take a month to fix. So if Steam is causing the delays, good, make it work the first time.

I'll say it: Screw Steam. We don't need it. The modders don't need it or care about it.

Back