Skyrim Modding Megathread

Last edited:
It works with SkyUI and Better Sorting. Until SkyUI handles containers/whatever else then I do recommend using QD with SkyUI. Like with many mods, it is personal preference.

Looks like Acceleration Layer may cause some scripts to not activate: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1322063-rel-tesv-acceleration-layer-thread-no-2/page__st__60

Huh. Rare to see those guys make something that would have any kind of negative but no one can be perfect. They'll fix it. I removed mine for now just to be safe.

Just installed the new Nvidia beta drivers. Game is much much smoother and no stuttering at all so far.

I installed the beta drivers as well. Good stuff for sure. Ambient occlusion can be enabled and the performance hit is tiny compared to what I normally see when enabling AO.

Nexus has been putridly slow recently. I know it's a free mod site, I have donated in the past for premium access but I'm currently penniless. I frequently have a hard time not being a 'vigilante mod' at that site, not only because the real mods will ban you for it, but because there are so many idiotic and un-grateful leeches on that site.

I can't even count the number of times in a comments thread for a new Skyrim mod where the first replies are "No pics? lol", "pics plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i want", or my personal most hated one "I have a personal rule about mods, no pics - no download". And the demands get worse as people feel more entitled to command how a modder uses their time. Thankless A-holes. I do think the moderators there are quite heavy handed, but in most cases I don't blame them.

Nexus has been putridly slow recently. I know it's a free mod site, I have donated in the past for premium access but I'm currently penniless. I frequently have a hard time not being a 'vigilante mod' at that site, not only because the real mods will ban you for it, but because there are so many idiotic and un-grateful leeches on that site.

I can't even count the number of times in a comments thread for a new Skyrim mod where the first replies are "No pics? lol", "pics plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i want", or my personal most hated one "I have a personal rule about mods, no pics - no download". And the demands get worse as people feel more entitled to command how a modder uses their time. Thankless A-holes. I do think the moderators there are quite heavy handed, but in most cases I don't blame them.

I agree that the current Skyrim community is bad - a lot of ungrateful people that seem to not respect the fact that mods usually take modders (many) hours to create and that these mods are available for free. Still, once the newness effect dies down for Skyrim then many of the ungrateful will move on to the next "best" thing, just like with past TES games.

I agree that the current Skyrim community is bad - a lot of ungrateful people that seem to not respect the fact that mods usually take modders (many) hours to create and that these mods are available for free. Still, once the newness effect dies down for Skyrim then many of the ungrateful will move on to the next "best" thing, just like with past TES games.

Very true. They'll move on.

I installed the beta drivers as well. Good stuff for sure. Ambient occlusion can be enabled and the performance hit is tiny compared to what I normally see when enabling AO.

What? I get a FPS hit of at least 15 FPS indoors (from 60 to 45) when I enable AO Quality. How are you running the game?

What? I get a FPS hit of at least 15 FPS indoors (from 60 to 45) when I enable AO Quality. How are you running the game?

Oh, make no mistake - I'm running performance AO, not quality :p I get a small performance hit but nothing bothersome at all. Before when I'd force performance AO, the game would crawl to a low framerate, and I wouldn't even bother with trying quality AO.

Only one picture? lol

I would totally download this, but I've got a rule against downloading mods with insufficient documentation. Thanks but no thanks pal!

The picture shows it all: the mod adds categories to containers. It also works with SkyUI and QD.

I've been using it since Nov. 23 and it has not caused my computer to blow up, so I think you will be safe if you decide to use it...

Can you put the mod required for multiplayer support on the OP?

Damn, seeing all these mods makes me happy and frustrated at the same time, idk if I should use them on my first play through or if I should play vanilla first.

Damn, seeing all these mods makes me happy and frustrated at the same time, idk if I should use them on my first play through or if I should play vanilla first.

Play vanilla for a few hours then you can find out what you want changed.

I really don't want to start a new thread for this, but does anyone know any good FXAA/ENB settings that will get me a really nice blue sky? Right now mine is almost white.

The picture shows it all: the mod adds categories to containers. It also works with SkyUI and QD.

I was just messing with riddleofsteel. :p

When walking up to castles, etc, moss on the stone/stairs pops in very late. Any INI tweak for that?

I'm looking at all the mods so far and I think I'll wait before wasting a lot of time playing around with them. The game looks reasonably good as it is, my only problems are the textures are a bit shit and the long distance terrain looks like crap, particularly water. Which has basically been the case for all Bethesda games ever. Hopefully a mod comes out that has more natural LOD transitions and another with a full texture overhaul, until then I'm satisfied with the game the way it is.

I'm looking at all the mods so far and I think I'll wait before wasting a lot of time playing around with them. The game looks reasonably good as it is, my only problems are the textures are a bit shit and the long distance terrain looks like crap, particularly water. Which has basically been the case for all Bethesda games ever. Hopefully a mod comes out that has more natural LOD transitions and another with a full texture overhaul, until then I'm satisfied with the game the way it is.

You already completed the time consuming step: looking at all the mods. Installation of mods takes a few seconds (download, extract, copy, paste, delete).

Just installed the new Nvidia beta drivers. Game is much much smoother and no stuttering at all so far.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-290.53-beta-driver.html

This?

By the date this looks different than the beta drivers they released toward launch of the game... is this true? (I can't see what i have installed at home at the moment)

That would be great if they found a way to squeeze more performance out of the driver! and THEN to hear that the acceleration layer was fixed? holy shit.

Between these two i'll probably be able to have AO on, and maybe even bump my ugid up =D

You already completed the time consuming step: looking at all the mods. Installation of mods takes a few seconds (download, extract, copy, paste, delete).

if you have the vram to spare, i'd say get some textures at least! i've really been enjoying how good my compilation of the various texture packs look. I just went and got a better snow texture, and when that is overlaid on some permafrost ground which is also a better texture, holy cow does it look good!

The 290.53 drivers have been good to me. They came out on 12/21 so they are different than the launch drivers.

The biggest and most time consuming step is installing them, getting them to play nice together, checking that they don't break game balance, keeping the game stable, trouble shooting the inevitable bugs, etc etc :p

The biggest and most time consuming step is installing them, getting them to play nice together, checking that they don't break game balance, keeping the game stable, trouble shooting the inevitable bugs, etc etc :p

I really haven't had a single issue with all the texture mods out there. I'm using the Nexus manager to download mods and you just double click on them to install. No copying and pasting. For the most part they all play nice with each other. Only time I was having trouble was when I screwed with ugrid. Never again will I touch that.

you obviously haven't played around with just texture mods. It's quite easy and very much worth it.

I disagree. Especially when you begin to use the Nexus Mod Manager.

Also, i've installed every mod I liked the sound of. I have about 15-20 .esp's, tons of texure mods, an antialiasing and sharpening dll replacer, script dragon, SKSE, ENB, container categorization, ui replacement, font replacement, and a very much needed keybinding mod... all working flawlessly together... the first time, no less!

Also, i've installed every mod I liked the sound of. I have about 15-20 .esp's, tons of texure mods, an antialiasing and sharpening dll replacer, script dragon, SKSE, ENB, container categorization, ui replacement, font replacement, and a very much needed keybinding mod... all working flawlessly together... the first time, no less!

Yep, same here. I've had absolutely zero trouble using any mods with Skyrim.

Indeed. I couldn't be happier with it.

Very clean and fuss free so far. Nexus Mod Manager has spoiled me quickly for Skyrim and now the two Fallout games, too, for mod installs and management.

Saw this today. Hopefully not a repost? A coder released a patch which speeds up Skyrim up to 40%.

Basically, it appears that for some reason Bethesda compiled the Skyrim exe with all the optimization flags off. This patch, which is loaded through SKSE, resolves a lot of inefficiency and most users are reporting 20-25% fps increases in the most demanding parts of the game (whiterun steps, etc).

I read through all 7 pages of the thread and once they resolved one issue (the original post has been updated since with all the right files and instructions) it seems to work flawlessly.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321575-rel-tesv-acceleration-layer/

Check it out.

Well if you guys think its so simple maybe I'll give it a try. I just have memories of modding Oblivion and after a few hours losing all motivation to actually play the game because I'd bored myself to death trying to mod it :p The only mod I ended up using was Qarl's texture pack.

Just because they've had good luck doesn't mean you will. These threads are littered with people having all kinds of issues. With the exception of a handful of mods (added keybindings for instance), none of these mods are going to have any real impact on your enjoyment of the game. Even the best mods don't make a huge difference, as the game looks pretty good out of the box. Maybe that will change when the creation kit comes out, but for now the reward just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to me. Enjoy the game for your first playthrough, then consider modding it. That's my 2 cents.

I think that's totally inaccurate. There is little to no risk if you research first and follow directions.

Saw this today. Hopefully not a repost? A coder released a patch which speeds up Skyrim up to 40%.

Basically, it appears that for some reason Bethesda compiled the Skyrim exe with all the optimization flags off. This patch, which is loaded through SKSE, resolves a lot of inefficiency and most users are reporting 20-25% fps increases in the most demanding parts of the game (whiterun steps, etc).

I read through all 7 pages of the thread and once they resolved one issue (the original post has been updated since with all the right files and instructions) it seems to work flawlessly.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321575-rel-tesv-acceleration-layer/

Check it out.

Hyper repost ;)

In any case, after the bugs were fixed, it works fine. I have a very noticable framerate increase in places like Markarth and Solitude.

Back