Skyrim impressions

Do you have a controller plugged in? Word on the street is that the game will default to a controller if one is plugged in.

I did not.

I had it plugged in previously. I had quit and restarted the game in between though.

I have to ask this, because it's so fucked up

But did anyone get crashes to desktop as soon as they started the game? I found a VERY stupid fix, by lowering the sound quality. Why the hell did that happen?? :confused:

For some reason the devs opted not to adapt to audio freq above 48khz. Everybody who was having those desktop crashes seemed to be able to fix it by dropping their audio down.

yeah, definitely my personal GOTY. No crashes is amazing! I love when games carry weighty atmosphere, and this definitely delivers in that respect. Combat isn't over the top awesome, but it definitely feels much better than Oblivion.

So far my biggest complaint is the audio is a bit soft. There is a thread on gamefaq and steam forumns with other folks who have a similar problem but the suggested work around did not cure the issue for me (and most others). Bleh. I hope they fix this. The controls are a bit wonky but I think I can live them; the biggest pia is how they use the tab key. Oh well. Other than that no crashes and so far so good.

My first impressions of Skyrim are disappointing... I've been playing it for a few hours now and what catches my attention the most is the 2005 graphics. I'm running this on a NV 555M w/3GB on high settings and even still the game looks extremely dated... for instance, I haven't seen so many spites in a game since the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D days. Rocks, Trees, and the land have less geometry then the walls in my house, and the textures that cover everything... 10ft back and I can still count the pixel blocks. I get that they are working with 6yr old hardware on the 360 and PS3, but for the PC version I think a little more effort could have been put in. In terms of the Foliage, this is even one area I think they took a step back in, Oblivion's forests had far more tree's and grass.

As for the game play, story, etc, it's awesome. But wrapping houses, ropes, rocks, and the ground in low res textures... wtf is up with that? Ruins the experience.

Seems cool. I never really liked the combat because of how every fight turned into a backpedalling exchange of feeble slashes, but the new crit mechanic where you get an instant kill animation on a crit makes the fights far less drawn-out.

Graphically the art direction is amazing. The visuals, however, are pure fucking Bethesda/Gamebryo, which really is a let-down. In terms of visual quality it looks like rectum.

So far my biggest complaint is the audio is a bit soft. There is a thread on gamefaq and steam forumns with other folks who have a similar problem but the suggested work around did not cure the issue for me (and most others). Bleh. I hope they fix this. The controls are a bit wonky but I think I can live them; the biggest pia is how they use the tab key. Oh well. Other than that no crashes and so far so good.

Ok so I'm not nuts. It isn't the end of the world by any means but even with all the in game sliders maxed I find that I have my volume clicked up a couple of extra notches higher for this vs any other game. No big deal.

I didn't really enjoy Oblivion, but Skyrim has been great so far.

I feel the same way, I guess they did actually learn from FO3, because Skyrim is a lot more immersive... 14 hours in and I have yet to do the main quest past the first two chapters... I have headed east, transversed the highest mountain (what a trip that was!) and now I have made it to Riften doing as many side quests on the way there and just plain exploring

My first impressions of Skyrim are disappointing... I've been playing it for a few hours now and what catches my attention the most is the 2005 graphics. I'm running this on a NV 555M w/3GB on high settings and even still the game looks extremely dated... for instance, I haven't seen so many spites in a game since the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D days. Rocks, Trees, and the land have less geometry then the walls in my house, and the textures that cover everything... 10ft back and I can still count the pixel blocks. I get that they are working with 6yr old hardware on the 360 and PS3, but for the PC version I think a little more effort could have been put in. In terms of the Foliage, this is even one area I think they took a step back in, Oblivion's forests had far more tree's and grass.

As for the game play, story, etc, it's awesome. But wrapping houses, ropes, rocks, and the ground in low res textures... wtf is up with that? Ruins the experience.

make your way east towards the city of Riften.... the aspen tree forests... the foliage is dense and diverse

Where do you adjust the audio quality? I have found sound sliders, but nother like changing from 22k to 48k or whatever....

Some of the textures look dated, but overall I'd still call the game pretty. At first there were a few 'looks shitty moments' but it's easy to get immersed in the game and forget about it.

The skill system is very nice and I vastly prefer the Fallout style leveling.

I liked fallout but hated oblivion and didnt really try morrowind. Dont know if i should jump at this...

I like the scenery of Oblivion better, beautiful green grass everywhere lol
as opposed to the in the mountains brown look

I droppped some items I did not want in front of a lady and she ran up to me and gave them back "oh you dropped something" hahaha

I feel as if they could do a little more scripting on the NPC.. like if your runnning circles around them, or swinging your weapon randomly near by, have one of them look at you and just say "what are you doing?".. or at least have them react to when you put a bucket on their head.. something simple like "knock if off" would have been decent.

my impressions:

installed game, crashed to desktop.
I lowered the audio quality, the game booted but the voices were static. I then lowered the Audio a bit more. ( this is actually the recommended setting). Booted up the game, it worked fine for a few minutes, then slowed down to about 3 fps. I have a pretty beefy rig(SIG) but it seemed like something was throttling. So I rebooted turned off throttling settings in bios, then went ahead and ocd up to 3.4. ( I had set back at default awhile ago for some reason). I updated my drivers to the newest ones and the newest cap. The problem persisted, it would play fine for 5 to 10 minutes then slow to a crawl. Temps were fine on both cards and processor. Ended up lowering graphics settings and installing special .dll to fix the issue. I then proceeded to change my fov to 95.

Now after all that, I must say I extremely enjoy the game. I got lost in it for hours and fully expect to be on it the entirety of my next 2 days off. It is an amazing game so far. It seems to trump oblivion in my book and so far is much closer to morrowind. The keyboard menu controls needs some getting used to but after a while it is actually pretty quick to use. Don't let the above scare you, it is much less than what we used to have to go through and once and comes out with a cfx driver. It should did those slowdowns I was experiencing.

Ps. Sorry for the formatting and typos, I typed the whole thing on my crappy windows phone while waiting on my droid razr replacement

Overall I would say its on-par with Morrowind, way better than Oblivion, and easily the GOTY.

Visuals are epic, from the mountaintop blizzards to foggy mornings to quiet pine forests. There is some banding in the sky, some lowres textures here and there, but the overall impression is pure immersion.

I turned off the compass and crosshair, so everything just looks natural when walking around. When I come across something like this I cant help but hit Printscreen.

SutUx.jpg

What's that flying through the blizzard...
D4evZ.jpg

The only bugs i've had are it somehow disables my media buttons on the keyboard so I can't adjust game volume. Had only one crash after a very long fight section between 3 giants, me and that assistant woman you get for being a thane and a random dragon (the giant killed the dragon pretty instantly when it landed...but then the assistant decided to stab the giants and so I wanted to see what they dropped), where it was a hard lock. Temperatures weren't high, everything was going along normally then all of a suddent frozen with artifacts on the screen. Felt the GPUs output and it was normal and nothing to be concerned about, nor was the CPU. Am not using the beta drivers however.

I was expecting more in the graphics department. Thing look jagged and rough compared to some other games that are out there. I intentionally didn't want to watch any of the preview or demo videos that were out there; but after playing for a few hours, I wish I did.

On PC everything feels half finished to me. The control scheme is awful, movement is twitchy, I have gotten "stuck" between rocks and other terrain numerous times so far and dialog seems really poorly done. I have to hear each character say each thing two, three, four times before it triggers the next event.

Mods? Cheaper? With motionjoy you can play it with a PS3 pad if you want.

Well, I get to play my ps3 more, and my pc is getting a little long in the tooth (q6600, 8800gt, 4gb ram). So I'm leaning ps3 unless its hard to control the characters...

Hi all. im debating whether to get this game or not and wondering what your impressions are of it so far.

i loved oblivion and fallout games and wondering whats new in this game in terms of gameplay features and how u rate it so far and what bugs are there at the moment?

cheers

Love the gameplay and story so far. GOTY material when it comes to that.

Those that say its consolized, they are correct. Its build so much for console, that I just as well plugged the computer into my tv and attached a XBOX 360 controller. Seems like the whole game is build around using gamepad. I'm a keyboard/mouse person, but this game I find best played as a console game with gamepad through computer.

I love the way they did magic this time and also magic defence (without spoiling, those that have reached the magic acadamy know what I talk about).

Decided to pass on it for now. I just couldn't throw down 60 bucks on a game I wasn't sure I'd like. Instead I got a couple of PS2 games and two worlds 2. May give TES V a shot when it comes down in price.

I guess someone found out I robbed their house... I can't get near a shop to sell off my ill-begotten loot!

Got smashed up about a mile in the air by a giant. That was fun.

Really enjoying the exp system so far, reminds me of FFXIII sort of.

At least the CTDs are quick. No messing around with error messages or protracted lock-ups, when it crashes - as it frequently does - it's just BANG desktop, no fucking about.

At least the CTDs are quick. No messing around with error messages or protracted lock-ups, when it crashes - as it frequently does - it's just BANG desktop, no fucking about.

Sounds like you are using the latest Nvidia beta. I rolled back to 280.26 and the game hasn't crashed since.

:D Nice attitude. :D

I'm amazed I'm getting decent framerates, C2D with a 4850x2-best GPU buy I've ever made (excepting the additional $70 for Zalmans :rolleyes:)

Im not feel'n it, seems like something out of year 2006. To me, the combat is laughable once again. Weapons for instance feel like your holding a marshmellow (no feel), animations are terrible, especially the general movement (floaty/clunky). I base this negativity off of playing more resent titles such as Demon's/Dark Souls. After playing those, this game is ancient in both gameplay and graphics (artisticly speaking). I wouldn't be afraid at all to say its more Dark Messiah 2 then anything else (minus the blatant Bioshock/Fallout rip offs). Once again, this is just my personal opinon, if others find value (I know I'm currently in love with Dead Island), so be it. I will say this though, sonicly speaking the game is a real treat, not to mention its (gasp) pretty much bug free ... at least the ten hours I put into it.

Last edited:

Just happened to me now while riding around on a horse in the open world. 280.26.

The only tip I haven't tried that's left that I just did not per recommendations from even Bethesda themselves is to set the sound to 24/44.1. After that, it's just going to be welcome to Bethesda land although I really can't complain. I've had two CTDs in 10 hours of gameplay on a brand new game from them. That's pretty good!

Just happened to me now while riding around on a horse in the open world. 280.26.

The only tip I haven't tried that's left that I just did not per recommendations from even Bethesda themselves is to set the sound to 24/44.1. After that, it's just going to be welcome to Bethesda land although I really can't complain. I've had two CTDs in 10 hours of gameplay on a brand new game from them. That's pretty good!

Theoretically, as I discussed in my BF3 thread, you'll get better audio at that setting as well since that is the native format.

Seems the game is great so far but as stated by some the graphics look dated. Maybe it's time to put gamebryo out to pasture?

Back