Skyrim impressions

I kind of "forced" myself to start over. Deleted everything except my saves, started over. I don't ahve to time to play at present, wondering what I'll do. Could start over, or use my old save. But my old save has been through A LOT of fiddling.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5720

Krenum had posted that earlier. If I fire up a new game any time in the forseeable future, I'm probably going to do it with that or something like it.

I've seen that a few times. For some reason, it doesn't interest me whatsoever at this point. I want to finish a 'Dohvakiin' game at least once first.

I can't really put my finger on it, maybe its nostalgia. I thought Oblivion was less consolized. I personally liked the combat system in Oblivion better. Skyrim felt too much like a "Vats" hybrid.

I thought the main storyline in Oblivion was better. Skyrims was way too short and linear. Also IMO Alduin "The World Eater" was far too cliche and didn't offer much of a challenge to the end player.

I feel the same way. The world and shit in Skyrim is hand-down better than Oblivion, but the actual gameplay in oblivion was better. The fuckin' killshot movies they put in, no matter how cool to watch, ruins gameplay. Too many times i could have blocked an incoming attack while i'm at half-health, and instead the NPC gets a 'proc' on me and gets an instakill.

So that's imo the shortcoming of the melee combat system. Do away with these instant-kill procs and all of a sudden you have combat you can count on. Too many times am i surprised by a one-shot that could have been blocked or simply dodged.

In the same way i feel their new mechanic for spellcasting was horribly implemented. Duel-casting, while a great idea, was implemented for shit. All duelcasting does is make your move better. There's never any new cool effect or different outcome from the spell. It's just ... "Makes X more powerful" Can't get more lame than that. There's practically no reason ever to cast a single-handed spell.

Before the game came out i remember them talking about duelcasting and dreaming of the posibilities that it was going to create. Between mixing spells together or having two hands to use two unique spells. The latter you can do, but there's no reason the way they've built it. There is also a serious lack of spell diversity, and just spells in general.

The game does indeed feel seriously consolized and made for children (while for some reason at the same time having dark themes like cannibalism and basically makes you be a character without morals)

Last edited:
The Disable Kill Moves mod was one of the first ones I installed for the game. I prefer to play in first person and the kill moves break immersion as well as being annoying to me.

The Disable Kill Moves mod was one of the first ones I installed for the game. I prefer to play in first person and the kill moves break immersion as well as being annoying to me.

i just saw this mod yesterday---woot! Finally an end to the unpredictable melee combat :D

Damn, this must be why I'm randomly being one-shotted in melee by random bandits? Haha, I had no clue there were kill moves, since I'm just doing the sneak/archery thing. They'll be swinging away at me, barely touching my health, and suddenly I'm dead.

Gonna have to try this mod out.

Damn, this must be why I'm randomly being one-shotted in melee by random bandits? Haha, I had no clue there were kill moves, since I'm just doing the sneak/archery thing. They'll be swinging away at me, barely touching my health, and suddenly I'm dead.

Gonna have to try this mod out.

It's made a world of difference in the consistency of my melee combat. Highly recommended.

I would not, however, recommend using the mod to make all NPC's killable and then killing Brynjolf. (he's used in the main quest lol).

I'm curious though, why they still rely on making some NPC's "essential" for quests when they have radiant story... wasn't that supposed to be able to re-assign quests to other NPC's if they're dead?

Back