Skyrim impressions

The game is amazing, it's better than Oblivion in every way possible other than the user interface. So far, this has felt like a worthy sequel to Morrowind.

I get so enthralled I forget to quicksave frequently. Then a random high level unfriendly (most recent case is an ice troll) will kill me and I start over about 5 miles back.

Feels like a TES game, got what I paid for, and cannot wait for any mods in the future.

So far I wish there was a bit more danger in the world.

You can wander nearly anywhere right off the start and not have too much trouble. Trying the same in Morrowind could easily spell suicide but could totally be worth it.

Like running to Ghostgate and stealing their glass shit right off the start or murdering everyone on this one plantation because they had daedric weapons for some fucking reason. You could go get yourself in over your head almost immediately with equal rewards. Some parts of the world should be inherently more dangerous.

Smithing is kind of handled stupidly. 200 leather bracers later I can forge glass shit... dumb but a nice idea.

Dragons are pussy little bitches usually. I've had my horse tank one before and watched them get killed to bears and shit. Fun mechanic but they need to be a little scarier. I get if they were too strong it'd be a pain in the ass to progress but random dipshits in caves shouldn't put up a better fight.

Overall I'm enjoying the fuck out of it, but there's some things that bother me. I expect mods will make everything better, as always.

Hey guys, I was over at a friends' house and he couldn't run the game at his native resolution.. he tried both 2560x1600 and 2650x1440.. the game is uber zoomed in. If he changes down to 1920x1080p everything is fine.. any solutions?

Hey guys, I was over at a friends' house and he couldn't run the game at his native resolution.. he tried both 2560x1600 and 2650x1440.. the game is uber zoomed in. If he changes down to 1920x1080p everything is fine.. any solutions?

Try changing the FOV

While you're in game, access the console with ` and play around with values ranging from 65 (Default) to 100

I get so enthralled I forget to quicksave frequently. Then a random high level unfriendly (most recent case is an ice troll) will kill me and I start over about 5 miles back.

Let me guess, High Hothgard? I did the exact same thing, not paying any attention at all, and next thing I know I'm one-shotted by a huge ice troll. :) Of course my last save was at the bottom of the steps.

Try changing the FOV

While you're in game, access the console with ` and play around with values ranging from 65 (Default) to 100

We did, I don't think it's a fov issue as your own character changes fov but the world around you is like a warped 640x480 zoomed up world. It's really messed up. 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 works fine.. Anything above that it doesn't work.

For some people like me the FOV gets reset after zone transitions such as in to houses etc, it's best to set it in the ini file.

I've worked out why physics goes bonkers sometimes and launches shit about the room, it's turning off the IPresentInterval setting in the ini, this turns of vsync which uncaps the game engine. It looks like some things such as the physics and other engine aspects run as fast as the frame rate rather than at a fixed tick rate so when your frame rate goes high objects start to become unstable and often just fly about like crazy on their own.

I'm using a some of the fixes posted here including capping the frame rate at 60 with a different tool to keep the frame rate at what was expected without the added mouse lag of vsync. It also turns out the mouse sensitivity seems to be affected by the frame rate as well so it fixes that from being odd, you can also force the X and Y sensitivty to be the same.

Christ you have to fix a lot of stuff in this game, still once it's sorted it's much more enjoyable!

Let me guess, High Hothgard? I did the exact same thing, not paying any attention at all, and next thing I know I'm one-shotted by a huge ice troll. :) Of course my last save was at the bottom of the steps.

Yessir. Except my save was at the base of the mountain. Experienced my first CTD but 3 minutes ago. I think I need to restart as ranged or magic. Might completely forego a full first play-through as melee as I'm just not feeling it.

Skyrim is one of the better single player PC games I have played in a long time. I put many hours into Morrowind on xbox and Oblivion on PC. After playing a couple of hours yesterday, and 6 or 7 more tonight, I have to say Skyrim is my favorite Elder Scrolls game.

I'm using a some of the fixes posted here including capping the frame rate at 60 with a different tool to keep the frame rate at what was expected without the added mouse lag of vsync. It also turns out the mouse sensitivity seems to be affected by the frame rate as well so it fixes that from being odd, you can also force the X and Y sensitivty to be the same.

How do you do these?

For some people like me the FOV gets reset after zone transitions such as in to houses etc, it's best to set it in the ini file.

I've worked out why physics goes bonkers sometimes and launches shit about the room, it's turning off the IPresentInterval setting in the ini, this turns of vsync which uncaps the game engine. It looks like some things such as the physics and other engine aspects run as fast as the frame rate rather than at a fixed tick rate so when your frame rate goes high objects start to become unstable and often just fly about like crazy on their own.

Christ you have to fix a lot of stuff in this game, still once it's sorted it's much more enjoyable!

You mind letting me know what the x/Y sensitivity tweak is? Looked through the threads but there are a lot of them and I am pissed-up at 7am GMT on a monday, so I've probably missed it.

You mind letting me know what the x/Y sensitivity tweak is? Looked through the threads but there are a lot of them and I am pissed-up at 7am GMT on a monday, so I've probably missed it.

Goto skyrim.ini in documents, add the following to the bottom -

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

if a [controls] section is already there, then just add it without that.

From what I understand though this does somewhat depend on what fps you are getting. But I used a fps limiter (off skyrim nexus) set for 60, and that setting works for me.

[Controls]

From what I understand though this does somewhat depend on what fps you are getting. But I used a fps limiter (off skyrim nexus) set for 60, and that setting works for me.

That sounds ridiculous. But thanks for the info.

My impressions so far:
The gameworld feels more fun to explore so far.
Eating random crap is hilarious (Chuck norris doesn't eat honey, he chews bees. So does my character).

Lots of minor bugs around, sometimes in conversations the camera will suddenly drop to the ground or point up to the sky.

Unlike Oblivion, I think I might finish this one. As usual though, I think the game will truly become amazing once the modders get to work and fix the UI, fix some textures, etc, as well as adding more content.

What a change in attitude frankly from this trollish threadcrap from yesterday:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038003971&postcount=2894

What happened? You were on a blistering campaign yesterday of FUD and hate. About as bad as I've seen anywhere.

There's no way in hell this thing's even remotely comparable to Rage and I mean that as a huge compliment to this game.

hehe. calm down lad. some pc games have bene hyped up and been a bit of a let down like rage and even BF3 which is basically a BC3 game.

i loved passed fallout/oblivion games but as you know, past success don guarantee anything.

Who made RAGE? the people who pratically redefined/invented FPS shooters and look what a mastepiece rage was.

And for all th nice eye candy and sound from BF3, in the hood all it is is a bad company sequal more then an actual fully fledged battlefield sequal.

35 hours in, was playing with 2 friends in my living room all weekend long.
First of all, I think it is an unbelievably great game. GOTY for me for sure. I prefer it a lot over Oblivion, and I want to play it a lot more than I already have. I eagerly anticipate mods and hope to try making some simple ones myself.

Some thoughts:
I feel bad that attributes (str/dex/int) are gone. However, it seems the whole industry is moving in this direction anyway.
I feel like faction quest lines are shorter than Oblivion, and way shorter than Morrowind. Even on first play through, you go through the College of magic in just a few hours, for example. There is nothing to really slow you down. Things are mostly scaled to your level, too, so it's rare to go through a dungeon and reach a point where you have to turn around and find somehting else to do, due to a too-challenging foe preventing your progress.
The UI is not great by any means but I am used to it enough now that I potentially might not even bother with a UI mod in the future.

The game is fun enough that I foresee myself making many characters of different playstyles (and even many repeats, too) and going through much of the content multiple times. There are many dungeons and places to explore even on a single save game. I just can't wait to see where mods can take this. I bet modders can overhaul the radiant quest system, for example, and really run absolutely wild with it. I see great things coming.

hehe. calm down lad. some pc games have bene hyped up and been a bit of a let down like rage and even BF3 which is basically a BC3 game.

I don't disagree but gee whiz, you came in there locked and loaded. Wow. You kind of took me by surprise in there.

Thankfully, I daresay that Skyrim is nowhere in the realm of being a Rage like letdown. Far from it. Sure, it's got a few lumps but that'll get fixed in due time. :)

i loved passed fallout/oblivion games but as you know, past success don guarantee anything.

Who made RAGE? the people who pratically redefined/invented FPS shooters and look what a mastepiece rage was.

Agreed.

We all learned a lesson on Rage that I don't think we'll ever forget although I think I went into that game with lower expectations than some other people. Wall to wall console only talk for months clued me in.

The lesson there, at least for me, is: Names don't matter. Past output doesn't matter.

In the end, I suspect Rage is going to become a "Remember the Alamo!" calls for PC gamers and rightfully so. ;)

And for all th nice eye candy and sound from BF3, in the hood all it is is a bad company sequal more then an actual fully fledged battlefield sequal.

Agreed, but pound for pound, I find BF3 is still a damned good game on its own merits. I wonder if it can be modded?

Re: Skyrim FOV

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...9217803__hl__fov__fromsearch__1#entry19217803

^^ This seems to be a fairly authoritative take on the subject of getting your FOV settings to permanently stick. Last night it was the one detail I was missing.

Last edited:
Impression: terrible....

For my health that is, I have got about 10 hours of shut eye since it came out, just one more quest, just one more quest, just one more quest.:D

I still like morrowind better but this is a close second, and thats sayin a lot.

I spent the entire weekend on this game. Other than a party I went to, and a few other misc activities, I spent my time on the PC. It sucked close to 20 hours of my time.

I'm like 23 or 24, and now I need to focus on my Smithing because I was dumb and put some perks into Conjuration. Good thing is, my two-handed weapon skill is ridiculously high and I won't sacrifice much of the difficulty if I focus on Smithing a bit. These types of decisions make me think the game is doing a good job keeping me engaged. For some who aren't...well tough luck.

By the way, lycanthorpy is awesome and the questline of the Companion's offer some really nice rewards for Two-Handed warriors. It has some drawbacks (being a Werewolf, I mean) but totally worth making the game unique. I might try a Vampire Battle-Mage next play around or Thief. Maybe even a berserking dual-wield warrior! Oh the joys!

Christ, I've been so wrapped up in B3 I didn't even realise this was out!

Aside from the UI issues which I bitched about in another thread, and even moreso the off-center camera in 3rd person (this is a HUGE one for me, I HATE the off center camera) - if these things are taken out of it, and they will be by mods soon enough I'm sure, then I am actually going to go as far as to say it might just be the greatest game made so far.

I'm super pissed at Bethesda though for the whole LMB/RMB reversal thing, seriously, how goofy can you get? Not letting me use a shield in my left hand? Huh? That really, really pisses me off. That and the camera in third person actually SWITCHING from center to off center depending on whether your weapon is out are such a distraction to me that the greatness of the game is brought down a few notches constantly while I am playing.

If I can ignore those things, though, the bar has been raised by a mile. Amazing. It takes itself more seriously than previous games, and it pulls it off well. The world is astounding.

I played all weekend and just hit level 17.../sigh Although the dark brotherhood quests are pretty good so far.../woot

I'm super pissed at Bethesda though for the whole LMB/RMB reversal thing, seriously, how goofy can you get? Not letting me use a shield in my left hand? Huh? That really, really pisses me off. That and the camera in third person actually SWITCHING from center to off center depending on whether your weapon is out are such a distraction to me that the greatness of the game is brought down a few notches constantly while I am playing.
Wait, what?
My camera zooms out when I unsheath my weapons, and zooms in otherwise. The camera is always off-center.

this needs to go on sale like today...so I can buy it (I know it just came out)

Same! Guess there's a slim chance of a ~$40 deal during the holidays which I might consider, but will probably wait till it's a bit less.

I don't really care about "$/hour is great" or "it's worth it" arguments. Maybe to other people but I'm a cheap bastard and refuse to spend much more than $30 on any game :p

Same! Guess there's a slim chance of a ~$40 deal during the holidays which I might consider, but will probably wait till it's a bit less.

I don't really care about "$/hour is great" or "it's worth it" arguments. Maybe to other people but I'm a cheap bastard and refuse to spend much more than $30 on any game :p

That's my thought on it as well. I really wanna give this game a shot but, I didn't like the last too so I just can't throw down 60 bucks. From what I watched my cousin play the other day it does look very good though.

Just massive. I can't get enough. I'll play for 3 hours at a time, get a tad bored or lazy to explore more, then go right back to it an hour later.

My only problems with the game seem to be small:

-Wtf is up with the sound issue? I had to lover my sound quality just to get the game to start up. Now I hear static.

-The menus for trading and convos seems a bit off. I'll hover my mouse over a selection, click, and have it select another option I definitely didn't want. And sometimes I'll start a convo with a trader, click their trading button, and when I click on "Weapons" or whatnot, it exits the trading menu and heads back to the convo menu. A tad frustrating.

TES games are, IMO, the exception to that rule. They're bigger and better than pretty much anything else. I can still find new stuff to do in Oblivion all these years later and Skyrim promises to have just as much staying power.

This is the best PC game in the last few years. It's worth $60 now, before the modders have even got to it.

After watching my friend play this on his PC over my HDTV, I decided that waiting for it wasn't going to work. I'm going to probably buy Skyrim within the next 2 weeks (waiting for a trade-in to happen). The more & more I read, the more I want to play it. :)

[Controls]

Yeah that's the fix.

It does somewhat depend on the frame rate, everything does since the engines tick rate is based on the frame rate (why vsync is forced) so while your sensitivity will changed based on frame rate still, at least it will be even both X and Y.

As limitedaccess says you also need to cap the frame rate at 60, it will keep the sensitivity static and will also stop physics from acting up, etc.

Exactly...they are both click-fests, but my point was at least The Witcher (1 or 2) could keep you awake a bit longer. Either way, if they had spent a little more time and worked on the combat it would have been epic.

You might want to try playing a mage if you're finding combat that boring. As a mage I find fights actually exciting as I have to juggle where I'm spending my mana (damage, defense, healing) as well as think about my positioning at all times, so I end up almost playing it like a first person shooter in that I am constantly lobbing firebolts at guys while using the architecture to my advantage and then healing/buffing periodically. With fast enemies you have a third factor you have to deal with: stamina. The combat as a mage is great, and I imagine it's great as a sneaky bow user too.

Boss fights are particularly challenging as you eventually run out of mana (at least with my build) and need to take time carefully avoiding bosses and recharging.

You might want to try playing a mage if you're finding combat that boring. As a mage I find fights actually exciting as I have to juggle where I'm spending my mana (damage, defense, healing) as well as think about my positioning at all times, so I end up almost playing it like a first person shooter in that I am constantly lobbing firebolts at guys while using the architecture to my advantage and then healing/buffing periodically. With fast enemies you have a third factor you have to deal with: stamina. The combat as a mage is great, and I imagine it's great as a sneaky bow user too.

Boss fights are particularly challenging as you eventually run out of mana (at least with my build) and need to take time carefully avoiding bosses and recharging.

Yeah, magic combat in Skyrim beats Witcher 1 and 2 magic by a looooooong shot.

Impression: terrible....

For my health that is, I have got about 10 hours of shut eye since it came out, just one more quest, just one more quest, just one more quest.:D

I still like morrowind better but this is a close second, and thats sayin a lot.

Yeah, my health is suffering too. I'm staying up waaaaay too late.

Back