SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

I have to say, my main beef with the game isn't the server, but damn HILLS and uneven terrain.

Building in a region that has hills is a HUGE pita, roads that look even constantly saying "Can't smooth terrai" (when it already looks damn even and is close together) and then turn around and it allows you to build up a hilside at a much steeper angle. Then trying to place buildings, even more of a headache! You can zone on some area's, but on some you can't even place a building which by all accounts looks "even/flat" yet it won't allow it. Then on top of this the terrain constantly "pokes" over the road graphics and makes roads look like they have been covered in a mudslide. It just looks sloppy as hell and like they couldn't bother testing the game and building on uneven terrain/hills, etc.

btw, isn't this illegal in Europe? You know, the place where they have actual consumer protection laws instead of the 'corps are king' attitude we have in the US.

I believe in EU you get a no questions asked refund for any goods or service within the first 1/2 weeks.

I would be more interested to know how the game even sold over there. They had a few days to sit back and watch this shit storm unfold. Pre-orders aside, how many of them do you think really decided to buy the game knowing what they were in for?

I would be more interested to know how the game even sold over there. They had a few days to sit back and watch this shit storm unfold. Pre-orders aside, how many of them do you think really decided to buy the game knowing what they were in for?

Based on that server load website it looked like all of the EU servers were full. So...I guess quite a few?

Based on that server load website it looked like all of the EU servers were full. So...I guess quite a few?

Can you select your own server or does the game attempt to find the best sever for you? Unless it's strictly handled by EA, it could be people from USA connecting to overseas servers just to try and play. I don't have the game, so i'm not real sure how it works.

I disagree with you on the gameplay. The smaller size really makes you think and make hard choices about what you want and what direction you want to go with your city. You have to be efficient.

That said, they really need to make some kind of option for terrain smoothing so you can maximize the amount of land used. In hilly regions there is just so much unusable space.

I found the game to be fun and addictive when it's working properly. The server issues are a real shame.

Except the AI is so shitty that it is impossible to create a town that is efficient.

At risk of sounding like a broken record...This is the prefect example of why you should never pre-order a digital game..

Solitair_by_EA.jpg

lol

At risk of sounding like a broken record...This is the prefect example of why you should never pre-order a digital game..

Naw. So many games go through the same process but do it properly. For every 100 games we get one of these cluster-fucks.

I think its safer to say dont pre-order EA games.

JUST WAIT PEOPLE. micro-transactions to reduce your server wait time....

Naw. So many games go through the same process but do it properly. For every 100 games we get one of these cluster-fucks.

I think its safer to say dont pre-order EA games.

Well, considering premium players can jump ahead of non premium players in BF3 that is not as ridiculous as it sounds...

20 minute wait times on Europe East.

what a clusterfuck of a fail game

btw, isn't this illegal in Europe? You know, the place where they have actual consumer protection laws instead of the 'corps are king' attitude we have in the US.

I believe in EU you get a no questions asked refund for any goods or service within the first 1/2 weeks.

You may be thinking of the refund policy that applies to physical goods. EU buyers have 14 days to return goods and the seller must refund delivery charges as well.

It's a different story for digital purchases - EU consumers don't really have any more protections than Americans. Here's a link to a summary of the EU consumer policy prepared by the European Union:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-11-675_en.htm

The relevant portion states:

9) Better consumer protection in relation to digital products
Information on digital content will also have to be clearer, including about its compatibility with hardware and software and the application of any technical protection measures, for example limiting the right for the consumers to make copies of the content.

Consumers will have a right to withdraw from purchases of digital content, such as music or video downloads, but only up until the moment the actual downloading process begins.

Europeans can get refunds from EA for digital Sim City as long as they never downloaded it - not played, downloaded. This policy helps people who pre-ordered, heard the bad news and decided they wanted their money back. EA would have to refund them and EA's EU Origin refund policy follows this requirement. That's marginally better than many US digital stores where digital sales are irrevocable upon sale (Origin, Steam, Amazon all have this policy). But if you pre-loaded Sim City, you're out of luck. No refund for you, not under European law.

Last edited:

I bet you people would actually buy a premium upgrade or FastPass to get priority queue placement. How sad is that

So, next step for EA - blame the players, say this type of game 'doesn't sell', fire everyone at Maxis and shut them down?

Na east 2 ftw!

Having a blast with this game. Finally getting a hang of the global trading aspects.

Still playing with sandbox training wheels. I'll take those off at some point.

11hour long stream

i think i spent the first 9 hours just dealing with my city and got pissed off at one point that i was like 80% researched into the Gen 3 neutron reactor and a meteor hit my university and seemingly dropped my tourism from 3.3k daily to 80-400 the city has been teetering on the brink and i prob keep making it worst. lol

http://www.twitch.tv/wildace/b/375082878

at about 9 hours in i started a new city not entirely sure how i want to setup the roads yet cause its going to be the tourism/commercial capitol of the region which means traffic will be a problem.

you need to place a university, and then select the university and it will have a start research project button above the power button to turn the university on or off.

depending on the research project you might need a certain ploppable building for the university like department of Law and that allows you to research for the detective wing for the police station.

Cool beans.

Also, I got your origin friend request but it says you have too many friends already. :p

Just from reading the comments it sounds like there are a ton of natural disasters in the game.

So, next step for EA - blame the players, say this type of game 'doesn't sell', fire everyone at Maxis and shut them down?

Obviously, this is just tongue-in-cheek, but I would bet a non-EA Maxis kickstarter would do reasonably well. They could say, "Sorry about all that bullshit EA made us do. Throw us some money directly, and we'll make a true improvement in the series - one where you can actually build a city rather than a bunch of neighborhoods connected by highways."

And I bet they'd even put it on Steam haha...

Citizens not happy with your city? Buy 1000 loyal citizens for $9.99 or 5000 for 19.99!

Servers down again?..Sucks wanted to come home from work and get some time in. Really sucks.

Citizens not happy with your city? Buy 1000 loyal citizens for $9.99 or 5000 for 19.99!

5x more for only 2x the price ?!!?!!?!?!?!? I'M ALL IN!

Yeah this piece of crap is going back FOR SURE. 3 days after release date and still can't confidently pick up the game and play it. I'm done with this bs.

Has EA released a game lately that hasn't been a massive disappointment? I am reading about all the pains with SWTOR, ME3, Madden 13...

This company basically produces failure as it's #1 product. It's becoming a joke at this point. I'm shocked they are still in business.

This guy has the correct picture. As mad as some people say they are at EA they just aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is.

People who bitched about stuff in Battlefield 3 bought Mass Effect 3. And those who did the same about Mass Effect 3 bought Dead Space 3. And the people who were upset with Dead Space 3 bought SimCity.

What people need to realize is that they have to sacrifice some of their favorite game experiences to finally get EA to stop. As long as they keep buying because "It's sooo good I neeeed it!!!"... EA will not stop this garbage. They have your money, they do not care.

It's cold turkey or nothing, folks.

I'm disappointed but luckily I waited before dropping money on this.

Obviously, this is just tongue-in-cheek, but I would bet a non-EA Maxis kickstarter would do reasonably well. They could say, "Sorry about all that bullshit EA made us do. Throw us some money directly, and we'll make a true improvement in the series - one where you can actually build a city rather than a bunch of neighborhoods connected by highways."

And I bet they'd even put it on Steam haha...

Fuck Maxis, in the end they still made this piece of shit.

There is this kickstarter in response to simshitty http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d

11hour long stream

i think i spent the first 9 hours just dealing with my city and got pissed off at one point that i was like 80% researched into the Gen 3 neutron reactor and a meteor hit my university and seemingly dropped my tourism from 3.3k daily to 80-400 the city has been teetering on the brink and i prob keep making it worst. lol

http://www.twitch.tv/wildace/b/375082878

at about 9 hours in i started a new city not entirely sure how i want to setup the roads yet cause its going to be the tourism/commercial capitol of the region which means traffic will be a problem.

The first thing you should do when you have the opportunity is acquire an Expo Center. Even if your Sims are barely breaking even, GET IT (Make sure to have 200k first and are in the black before you get it so you can hold your first event). so ! This will pretty much give you unlimited funds that you'll be needing. With this an the recycling center, I can still make money even though my budget is -17k/hour.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point now where I have to optimizing land usage to acquire every little resident. I have absolutely no idea how to get to 2 million citizens.

Has EA released a game lately that hasn't been a massive disappointment? I am reading about all the pains with SWTOR, ME3, Madden 13...

Crysis 3 is supposedly pretty good. Also I wouldn't say ME3 was a complete failure...it was fun up until the end.

Cannot claim my "hard" city or create a new city anywhere. Sigh.
I did fund the kickstarter page.

Being online was a "design decision from the dev team, its not something that was handed down..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nsbA7s5HlBA

So the SimCity dev team was all sitting around thinking of ways to make SimCity better when Dave looked up and said "I have an idea". He then climbed onto the boardroom table, took off his shirt, kicked off his shoes, slide his pants off, spread his legs, half squated then took hold of his penis, pulled it taught, pushed it back between his legs and forced the head in his ass. He let go with his hands and his penis stayed in his ass...slowly he stood up from squat, penis remaining in his ass....
Everyone just sat and watched. Dave stood there, glorious, nude, with his own cock in his ass...
Then Janice pushed back her chair, stood up and started to slowly clap. One by one the rest of the SimCity team started to clap. Some smiling, others nodding.
Richard, the intern turned to Sam, who had been there much longer and asked "What was the idea".
Sam smiled and said "Online only DRM dude....Online only DRM...Frigging brilliant".

So the SimCity dev team was all sitting around thinking of ways to make SimCity better when Dave looked up and said "I have an idea". He then climbed onto the boardroom table, took off his shirt, kicked off his shoes, slide his pants off, spread his legs, half squated then took hold of his penis, pulled it taught, pushed it back between his legs and forced the head in his ass. He let go with his hands and his penis stayed in his ass...slowly he stood up from squat, penis remaining in his ass....
Everyone just sat and watched. Dave stood there, glorious, nude, with his own cock in his ass...
Then Janice pushed back her chair, stood up and started to slowly clap. One by one the rest of the SimCity team started to clap. Some smiling, others nodding.
Richard, the intern turned to Sam, who had been there much longer and asked "What was the idea".
Sam smiled and said "Online only DRM dude....Online only DRM...Frigging brilliant".

This...was beautifully written...I felt as if I was in the conference room myself...lol.

Anyone know how to do borderless fullscreen? I feel this should be a standard feature now for all games.

Just spent a few hours on another industry city, this time raw ore. Im finding that your gonna make the most money from these types of towns. I am actually interested in experimenting with the trade aspects of the game...but I really want cheetah speed back...otherwise its painfully slow. Even still, I managed to export $1mil/day in metals by the time I stopped with only about 50k residents.

Interesting note about the population is that people are constantly looking for a way in. Once I hit about 20k residents I stopped zoning and from there it crept up to the 50-50k+ mark without me doing anything for them...no parks or additional zoning.

Just spent a few hours on another industry city, this time raw ore. Im finding that your gonna make the most money from these types of towns. I am actually interested in experimenting with the trade aspects of the game...but I really want cheetah speed back...otherwise its painfully slow. Even still, I managed to export $1mil/day in metals by the time I stopped with only about 50k residents.

Interesting note about the population is that people are constantly looking for a way in. Once I hit about 20k residents I stopped zoning and from there it crept up to the 50-50k+ mark without me doing anything for them...no parks or additional zoning.

I had cheetah speed working last night. I wonder if it is a server load thing, because I got a pop-up saying "speed controls activated" (or something like that) and after that it worked.

Back