Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Zardoz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Killahurtz

Killahurtz Gawd

you got that right...and she is as ate up with it too...she does a lot of workshop mods for L4D 2 as well...thanks for the looks , and let this be a lesson for you!...we can get six to eight systems going lan pretty quick when people come over but usually only a couple of peeps at any one time.

2. deep42

deep42 n00b

Work in progress

[​IMG]

3. mikeblas

mikeblas [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006

I like it. What kind of track lights are those?

4. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Gawd

You must have some serious A/C going on in summer :eek:

5. Killahurtz

Killahurtz Gawd

@jcvjcvjcvjcv "You must have some serious A/C going on in summer "...

haha...yes sir!...no bars, no car payments, other than a classic car we have no other real "habits" so we don't mind running the A/C a little more than most people do.

6. deep42

deep42 n00b

7. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

My buddy upgraded his system.

[​IMG]

8. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Gawd

Paying US electricity rates helps too

Try my $0.26 ;)

9. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Yep. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he lives somewhere where you can actually get decently priced real estate too. That is usually the big thing that frees up money for other things.

Heck, I could live like a king with my income, if I didn't have to spend such a huge portion of it on real estate :p

10. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

That is a lot of freakin monitors. :cool:

11. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Sweet ultrawide setup.

12. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Just a truly sweet setup. Love the whole thing. :D

13. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Love the wallpaper. Sweet setup

Mathemabeat likes this.
  14. Zarathustra[H]

I'm curious.

I've noticed that in a large number of these pictures you people have your cases (even tower cases) on top of your desks.

I haven't done that since I had one of these, and my 12" VGA CRT monitor stood on top of it :p

[​IMG]

My towers have always gone on the floor under the desk, as long as I've had them.

[​IMG]

Not that my systems are loud or anything, but I do like the little noise they make out of earshot, and desk space is - well - at a premium with my setup (reminder pic from two pages ago)

[​IMG]

So, I am curious. Why do you put the tower on top of the desk?

15. MrWrong

MrWrong [H]ard|Gawd

I have carpet on the floor in my PC room and my power supply draws air in from the buttom of my case. If I had it on the floor it would not get very good air flow. Also for me there is no good place to put it under the desk and I would have to put it next to my desk. That would make it harder to reach when pluging and unpluging controllers and what not.

16. [​IMG]

Click on the image for the full-res version.

I have mine up on my desk because I'm down in a basement and we occasionally get water backing up down here. I'd rather not fry my system.

17. Island

Island Gawd

For me, I cut out a custom window on my side panel, and I like to look at it while I'm gaming. It's also aesthetically pleasing to see the video cards and the EVGA Sli bridge glowing. My PC/case looks good and I want to enjoy it and show it off, not tuck it in the corner to suck up dust bunnies from the carpet:D

18. Zarathustra[H]

Ahh, carpet seems to be a common thread (no pun intended) here.

I think it might be a geographical thing, but I have never had a house/apartment with carpet where I live. Everything is hardwood flooring.

19. Well, for a while out here in Chicago, there was this move to carpet everything because it was lower maintenance than hardwood.

Now, hardwood is all fashionable again and people are peeling off the nasty carpet and getting out the floor sanders and varnish.

20. Zarathustra[H]

Yeah, wall-to-wall carpeting scares the shit out of me.

You never know what kind of nasty mold could be lurking underneath it.

21. A-men!

22. Tyler-Durden

Tyler-Durden 2[H]4U

I got tired of banging into, and sometimes knocking over, my floor-based towers with my wheelchair, so switched to an SFF/mITX specifically to put it on my desk. Now, I can turn and spin around freely with no risk of an expensive, unpleasant accident. :p

Carpet is my mortal enemy. Feels like rolling through mud. My loft has scored concrete floors. Easy maintenance and easy rolling. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  23. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

I have pets and any hair that develops between sweeping the hardwood would get sucked into the computer. no thanks!

24. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

It seems that I have at least one machine elevated off of the floor in my various stages of computing.
    Sometimes it was the setup, having it on the desk was easier and sometimes there was no space on the floor.
    Here is a shot from 2004, one on the desk, one on a table next to the desk and one on the floor,
    [​IMG]
    The PC on the desk (the dark colored case) is hooked up to my Projector and was used as an HTPC, before that term was coined. The one on the floor is connected to the leftmost monitor and was used as a file server.
    The other 2 screens were hooked to the machine on the far right, which was the main machine.

25. hound

hound 2[H]4U

I keep mine up on shelves or the desk because I have a bad back.

26. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

I keep my main rig on the floor. It's a full tower. Everything else is rackmounted.

27. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Gawd

Less dust on the desk vs the floor. And the floor is occupied by file cabinets that support the desk and my subwoofer.

Also standard-length display cables for a 20-30-20 PLP setup ends up tricky with tower on the floor.

Monitor on top of the case doesn't work anymore with the current 0.6mm cases...

28. #Grey

#Grey Limp Gawd

I am so torn between going ultrawide or getting a second monitor. (And a larger desk)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  29. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

Are you using those Polk speakers connected to the Logitech sub?

30. Zarathustra[H]

What kind of chair is that?

I kind of hate my chair and have been thinking about alternatives.

Love the Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the executive conference rooms at work, but I looked them up and they are prohibitively expensive.

31. KLLSWITCH

KLLSWITCH n00b

looks like a Herman Miller Embody chair to me.

32. Zarathustra[H]

Yikes, that ones even more expensive than the Aeron! :eek:

I want to sit comfortably, but I have never spent more than $129 on a chair...

For these herman Miller chairs that appears to be the going price for just the casters! :eek:

33. ryang

ryang Gawd

They are built like tanks. You can buy a $129 chair every 12-24 months, or you can buy one $1000 chair every 15-20 years. You choose!

34. Zarathustra[H]

Actually, I should clarify.

I keep inheriting "$129" chairs. I've actually hit 35 and never paid for an office chair.

I've never had a problem with the cheaper chairs breaking prematurely.

My last one was a late 80s vintage Swedish Scandia Office furniture model. it was comfortable and looked damned stylish, but after 25 years of being abused during moves, and rammed against the edge of the desk, the leather on the arms finally started to tear.

the chair I have now is a cheap grey fabric office chair. It's not very pretty, and it doesn't have many adjustable knobs, and isn't very comfortable for my seating position, but it looks and feels like it is built like a tank. It will probably be around longer than I am in one capacity or another.

35. #Grey

#Grey Limp Gawd

Yes. A few years ago I foolishly bought an expensive Logitech 5.1 system but decided after just a few short months that I didn't care for surround sound on my computer rig and ended up using it exclusively in two-channel mode. Eventually I got rid of the satellites and replaced them with the Polk's, and have kept using it ever since because it honestly sounds pretty good.

I went through three ~200$ leather "executive" chairs from Office Max in a three year period before I bought the Embody. In fact my first purchase was an Aeron, which I owned for a week before returning it to buy the Embody. The Aeron is a work chair, pure and simple. It's really only comfortable in one position and if you're unfortunate enough to fall somewhere between the three size options, the rigid frame that keeps the mesh taut is extremely uncomfortable. The Embody is on another level of comfort, but I would never recommend it to someone unless they've tried it for at least 20 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  36. Island

Island Gawd

Couple of pics and a panoramic shot of my gaming setup. On the other side of my office is the same exact desk, but a setup for where I do works/bills. So when you come in to my office, the left side is for work and the right side for play. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. PaparasGT

PaparasGT n00b

I really like your screen and the XBox controller thingy...
    Where did you get the cushion for your chair's right arm? How do you call such a thing? I would really use one too...

38. Island

Island Gawd

Thanks for the comment. The elbow thingy as you say is actually called an "Elbow friend" You can find it on Amazon or from their website. It's a little cheaper if you buy it directly from their website. Costs about 21$ with shipping. It feels so nice and saves my elbow/arm with long sessions of gaming.

39. CTC626

CTC626 n00b

Is that a 48" JS9000? Does it ever feel a little too big from where you sit? I'm looking into getting a 48" JU6400 or JU6500.

40. Island

Island Gawd

When I first got it about 2 months ago, I thought it was a little too big and regretted the purchase. That lasted for about 5 minutes. Now I wish, I would have gone with the 55"

Seriously, this TV rocks as a monitor, and your eyes get used to the larger screen. I had it pushed all the way to the back of my desk at first, but now I've moved it as close as I can get as my eyes are used to the large display. I think now, the 55" might be even better albeit I don't think I would ever use anything larger then 55" for every day computer use sitting at a desk. The 48" is perfect