Shogun 2: Total War

Anyone care to explain me cooperative campaign ?? I want to buy this, but unless i can play coop campaign i wont untill prices drop (got burned to MP empires)

the co op campaign is a lot like the single player game. You choose a person to be the host and then you both choose clans and start playing. It goes through the turns like normal until you get to a battle. Depending on what the battle is (defense vs siege vs attacking, etc) the player who isn't fighting can vote to autoresolve the battle or spectate. The game saves after every turn in an auto save file or anyone can save the game when it's your turn.

When you quit and resume there is a resume as host button. You choose the save and then you can invite the other person. The game will resume as normal. I've never tried resuming a game with different person than I started with.

MP coop is the most fun part of the game for me, except for ruining someone singleplayer campaign by winning a drop in battle ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
 
Shogun 2 gets 9/10 from 1UP,

http://www.1up.com/reviews/shogun-2-total-war-review?pager.offset=0

There must be some mistake. Whatever game I've been playing lately -- the splash screen says it's called Shogun 2 and was created by Creative Assembly -- can't be from the same folks who made a spectacular mess of Empire: Total War. It's certainly not from the folks who flirted briefly with a God of War clone called Total Warrior (get it?). And it can't be the same people who callously orphaned that poor Stormrise sci-fi RTS. Because Shogun 2 is polished, smart, generous, elegant, and bold. It is utterly sublime.

Imagine you woke up one morning and the village idiot had built a cathedral. At which point someone vaguely recalls the village idiot was once a famous architect and it all kind of makes sense.
 
Oh come on, Empire wasn't that bad. The Road To Independence, on Hard, was engaging and fun, and really a showcase product for my graphics card. He's going too far there.
 
Empire made me very angry at times (Grand Campaign), mainly when your nation would randomly burst into revolution and in one turn you'd lose either half of all your territories and armies, or lose the whole lot.

Does this happen in Shogun 2? Please tell me no...
 
Are all the major and minor factions Japanese or do they have some European powers as minor factions?
 
Empire made me very angry at times (Grand Campaign), mainly when your nation would randomly burst into revolution and in one turn you'd lose either half of all your territories and armies, or lose the whole lot.

This never happened to me, maybe your domestic management was lacking and people got discontented.
 
Alright, I'm a little on the fence about this one and maybe you folks can help.

Rome: Total War is one of my favorite games of all time. Absolutely loved it and dumped countless hours into it.

I could not get into Medieval II or Empire, for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why, but both seemed clunky, buggy (coundn't even play Empire for a while waiting on a patch which soured me), and just generally less fun to me than Rome.

Does anybody who feels similarly about past games have any opinions on Shogun II?
 
Absolutely. I can't get into any of the past games because they seem too clunky and unintuitive in comparison. Shogun 2 is such a massive improvement for me. I can't quite explain it, but the interface is simply more intuitive. If I go in Medieval II or Empire, everything seems so cluttered and out of place, to the point where I don't really know what I'm doing. In Shogun 2, everything just clicks. The game responds how I expect it to, and the information I want is where I expect it to be.
 
Just read about the debug camera on another forum. I tried it out and it's actually much better than the standard camera. You can zoom in much closer to both the campaign map and to your soldiers in the battle map. The campaign map looks even better zoomed in, and being able to see fine details on your soldiers is amazing. I recommend this to everyone.

Go to

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts

And in preferences.script change the line

default_camera_type 1; # default_battle_camera <card32>, default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

to

default_camera_type 2; # default_battle_camera <card32>, default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

But if you change any settings ingame the camera will return to default so watch out for that.

On a side note you can set the file to read only to avoid this but that means you cant change settings ingame.
 
Absolutely. I can't get into any of the past games because they seem too clunky and unintuitive in comparison. Shogun 2 is such a massive improvement for me. I can't quite explain it, but the interface is simply more intuitive. If I go in Medieval II or Empire, everything seems so cluttered and out of place, to the point where I don't really know what I'm doing. In Shogun 2, everything just clicks. The game responds how I expect it to, and the information I want is where I expect it to be.
Thanks for the impressions. I decided to be prudent and DL the demo first just to make sure.

20 mins into the demo, I was back in Steam filling out my paypal info the purchase the game. :p Definitely excited to dive in tonight. Creative Assembly really seems to have pulled out the stops for this one.
 
Yea, I've barely even begun to play this game, but it seems to be a massive incline over any previous TW game.
 
Fun game. Went up against a vastly smaller army and right from the onset the entire army bolts across the map. I figured they were running for the border? Turns out the AI marched them up a giant hill with a bunch of trees and waited for me to come to them. Pretty smart.
 
Alright, I'm a little on the fence about this one and maybe you folks can help.

Rome: Total War is one of my favorite games of all time. Absolutely loved it and dumped countless hours into it.

I could not get into Medieval II or Empire, for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why, but both seemed clunky, buggy (coundn't even play Empire for a while waiting on a patch which soured me), and just generally less fun to me than Rome.

Does anybody who feels similarly about past games have any opinions on Shogun II?

That is a little suprising you liked Rome but not Medieval II, i loved both games.. Didn't care for Empire or Napoleon but Rome and Med II i still play..



I'm excited to try Shogun 2, the co-op campaign sounds great
 
I haven't had the chance to play too much of this - I've barely even begun, actually - but I feel the need to bump this thread, because for once it's mostly all positive.

It's just so damned refreshing to see that people are posting enthusiastically about a game they like. We seriously need more of this at this forum.
 
I haven't had the chance to play too much of this - I've barely even begun, actually - but I feel the need to bump this thread, because for once it's mostly all positive.

It's just so damned refreshing to see that people are posting enthusiastically about a game they like. We seriously need more of this at this forum.

I think its mostly because Empire was good but somewhat lackluster and this game was so much better than any previous iteration it just blew people away. I was actually quite surprised myself. I think people get negative when a sequel comes out to something they loved and they find its a step back.
 
I think most sequel don't live up the billing because usually expectations gets hyped up so much. Got this game due to the mostly positive vibe, pretty good, first TW game I've played since Rome. Only played a little bit so far, my only minor gripe so far is it seems like the AIs take longer than it should? maybe it's just me.
 
I'm finding the game to be far more interesting than Empire and Napoleon and Medieval 2.

I'm quite pleased.
 
I haven't had the chance to play too much of this - I've barely even begun, actually - but I feel the need to bump this thread, because for once it's mostly all positive.

It's just so damned refreshing to see that people are posting enthusiastically about a game they like. We seriously need more of this at this forum.

It's because this seems to be a really, genuinely great RTS. They improved in basically all the areas they had failed in before. Learn from your mistakes, release a great game, profit.
 
Cept it's a very buggy game and they didn't learn from the past games.

There's still a major save-game corruption problem where the game will eat your saves, mainly after the realm divide portion.

Multiplayer is virtually unplayable for many people, with the games getting stuck on "opponent found" and the stop serach button being unclickable to getting in a room and the game refuses to start and by tyhe infinite wisdom the developers thought "Hey, lets dont' have a quit/leave button in mulitplayer rooms! excellent idea!"

I've personally had all of them happen to me and I can get one-two games in before I'm forced to ctrl alt del the game because it hangs on one of those problems.
 
i somehow found a bug that stops me from continuing gameplay. I got my save stuck just before i get attacked, i win crashes, i lose, crashes.
 
I read that quicksaves usually cause that. So you have to manually save, go to the menu, select save. Instead of using the quicksave shortcut.
 
I'm new to Total War series, I owned Rome but didn't really play it.

My first game I kind of forgot to build a navy, only trade ships. Was doing ok taking territory and had like 5 trading ports, but then I had just conquered my 2nd neighbor when this large navy came out of nowhere and destroyed my trading fleet and ruined my economy.

Then another clan I had no contact with came in and steam rolled my land army. While 2 of my cites revolted twice when my army was away and the christians sacked my city.


Guess next time I need to be more balanced.
 
I am having trouble figuring out how to send my trade ships to other clans ports. Do I just create a trade root and they start going there automatically or what? When I hover over their port it has the attack icon and not trade (I do have a trade agreement with them)
 
I am having trouble figuring out how to send my trade ships to other clans ports. Do I just create a trade root and they start going there automatically or what? When I hover over their port it has the attack icon and not trade (I do have a trade agreement with them)

You don't need trade ships to trade with other clans. Trade ships are used to trade with other countries, like China etc.. There are several trade nodes (looks like anchors on the minimap). All you have to do is park your trade ship on a trade node.

If you want to trade with more clans you'll have to build more trading ports. Trading is done automatically once you agree in the diplomacy menu.
 
I'm new to Total War series, I owned Rome but didn't really play it.

My first game I kind of forgot to build a navy, only trade ships. Was doing ok taking territory and had like 5 trading ports, but then I had just conquered my 2nd neighbor when this large navy came out of nowhere and destroyed my trading fleet and ruined my economy.

Then another clan I had no contact with came in and steam rolled my land army. While 2 of my cites revolted twice when my army was away and the christians sacked my city.


Guess next time I need to be more balanced.

I'm loving the fact that the game is challenging.
 
You don't need trade ships to trade with other clans. Trade ships are used to trade with other countries, like China etc.. There are several trade nodes (looks like anchors on the minimap). All you have to do is park your trade ship on a trade node.

If you want to trade with more clans you'll have to build more trading ports. Trading is done automatically once you agree in the diplomacy menu.

Ahh okay thanks. This game is awesome so glad I decided to buy.
 
I'm new to Total War series, I owned Rome but didn't really play it.

My first game I kind of forgot to build a navy, only trade ships. Was doing ok taking territory and had like 5 trading ports, but then I had just conquered my 2nd neighbor when this large navy came out of nowhere and destroyed my trading fleet and ruined my economy.

Then another clan I had no contact with came in and steam rolled my land army. While 2 of my cites revolted twice when my army was away and the christians sacked my city.


Guess next time I need to be more balanced.
Yep, similar thing happened to me. I had about 5 provinces and was doing ok, fighting 2 huge stacks with my one army stack and still surviving. Then they came and blockaded my only trade port city and I went bankrupt very very fast and the game was over. Leesson learned lol.
 
I ran into this weird issue last night where it said I lost trade node (it was incense), I go over to look at it and my fleet of trade ships was still on it but I couldn't move it, so it was kind of like it was there and it wasn't. I ended up sinking them and putting new ships on the node, was it doing something wrong or is this a glitch?
 
Monks are really awesome in this game. The best way to level them up is to demoralize small enemy armies. Easy xp plus most of their actions are free. Once you have a high level monk it's really easy to cause rebellions in other clans provinces.

Want a province but don't want to go to war with the owner? No problem, just send in your monk and cause a rebellion. The rebels will take over the castle, then just swoop in with your army and slaughter the rebels. Because the province is in rebellion its a free for all and you take no diplomatic hit.
 
It also seems that its best, at least early on, to not call your allies to help you in war. I find they never really do anything anyway so its better to build really strong relationships which will help avoid them declaring war on you. I find that allies really dont matter but trade partners and some safe borders are better than any military help they would give you.

I was playing as the Uesigi(sp) and found that I kept on losing when I would strike into the mainland. The last game I started I began sweeping toward the coast and it is going much better now. It seems that the more island cities and the more areas with ocean borders the better as you can worry a bit less.

Also, if you are going to lose a town, dont throw away the units in a fruitless battle. Pull everyone out of the town and have them meet up with your main force and take the town back later. Dont worry about trying to defend every single front or you are going to lose and have no money.
 
Also, if you are going to lose a town, dont throw away the units in a fruitless battle. Pull everyone out of the town and have them meet up with your main force and take the town back later. Dont worry about trying to defend every single front or you are going to lose and have no money.

Yeah, that's been my downfall. I hate giving up towns and so end up fighting a valiant but useless effort and getting ym armies destroyed. I need to take the big picture, but those are my people dammit - I can't let them down!

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of similarity in the castle terrain when assaulting? Seems like every castle I assault looks the same - two hills in the front, big cliff behind, flat land to the left, flat land to a tree covered downslope to the right. I'm sure I've fought at least 3 battles on that exact same config. I should post a screenshot.
 
Well, take comfort in most leaders having honor and treating your population well...and if they loot, then massacre them later ^^
 
Still figuring out how to play the Date on hard difficulty. I might just have to try it on Normal. I first played the Chosokabe on normal and that was just too easy. I would run over everyone no problemo. Figured I would try the Date which is a step up and then on Hard. Not sure if its just the Date or the difficulty setting but its a crappy area to start. You pretty much have to take the Mogami first but my issue was right after the Hatakeyama start knocking on my door. Then all 5 of their allies war with me as well and it becomes a clusterfuck. This all within 15-20turns.
 
Back
Top