Shogun 2: Total War

well I guess I should wait for the patch

Game still looks great. I wouldn't wait for the patch.

On a side note, I tried to take my neighbors castle on the first turn on hard difficulty. Needless to say I just got my butt handed to me, I love it when the adviser yells, "Your men are running sir! Shameful Display!".
 
Game still looks great. I wouldn't wait for the patch.

On a side note, I tried to take my neighbors castle on the first turn on hard difficulty. Needless to say I just got my butt handed to me, I love it when the adviser yells, "Your men are running sir! Shameful Display!".

I found that in Empire, the American campaign was vastly more difficult on Hard than on Normal. Normal was easy. Hard was hard.
 
I think that long term total war players are gluttons for punishment anyway. There is a reason they put in that insane mode that auto saves after every battle lol.
 
Did anybody here win the historical battle from the demo? Because I never came close. My strategy was basically, go get 'em. The problem was, you're outnumbered. So what to do? I tried grouping everyone and heading for the hills. That sort of worked. I still lost, but it was a close defeat.
 
Did anybody here win the historical battle from the demo? Because I never came close. My strategy was basically, go get 'em. The problem was, you're outnumbered. So what to do? I tried grouping everyone and heading for the hills. That sort of worked. I still lost, but it was a close defeat.

Yes..in this situation as your units tend to route. What's necessary is to immediately stop against the cavalry rush and then converge all units into the middle section. Prepare to use your archers/cavalry constantly and prevent flanking (when infantry do a rush, flank with cav and run back). You know your allies that are just standing there all the time (the green ones on the hill)? They're useful when the enemy starts coming at full force. They'll fight if they get provoked so you need to also lure the enemy there (hopefully not archers, but rather the basic infantry) and then use your archers to help them out a bit. You should by the end still have a sizable force.

Here's a video of someone doing a similar tactic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQvqlU_qsFI&feature=related
 
anyone find the tech tree?

If you mean the tech tree for your empire's chi and bushido it's on the lower right corner. The button with the swords. If you mean the tech tree for your generals or agents you have to left click on their portrait.
 
Last edited:
I wish they'd fix the MP already.

Battle list hasn't worked once for me yet. Matchmaking is slow/errors out. Then I'm lucky in a game if it doesn't laaaaaag every other second, even though Comcast just upgraded my net to the fastest in the network.

I also got the "Dishonorable coward" trait even though I have never left a game and I'm 2/2 so far. Looking at the forums it seems to be a bug, where people that win are getting it.

When it works though it's a blast. I got the artillery this morning from the MP conquest map, the flaming mongrel thing or whatever and the trait to use it in mp (ox carts).

I took it in my first game, even though it wasn't a siege I figured I could use it. Boy was I right, I set it up on a hill near where my teammate and I started. We turtled near it on the map. There was a river right in front of us and a hill on the the other side.

The other team's guys set up their archers on the hill and I had my artillery bombard the hell out of them and they racked up hundreds of kills and routed 3 ranks before running out of ammunition. We mopped them up easily after that.

I guess a lot of people still don't understand what counters what. I had a guy in one match that had literally ALL cavalry and that was it, his teammate had a balanced force. I had two units of Yari (spearmen) and one of them was a 3 line vet unit with increased morale and cavalry offense. I put them in spear wall formation, he charged trying to flank and I turned them to him and he didn't back off and still came out me. My two units vs his entire army of calvary and then I brought in my samurai to help finish it up.
 
What the hell?

The campaign map was silky smooth in the demo, but in the actual game I have massive stuttering, almost to the point where it's unplayable. It's worse than Empire.
 
What the hell?

The campaign map was silky smooth in the demo, but in the actual game I have massive stuttering, almost to the point where it's unplayable. It's worse than Empire.

I had the same problem. Demo ran smooth for me but the retail campaign map stuttered like crazy. I'm guessing they removed some things to tweak for the upcoming DX11 patch. What worked for me was to turn off ssao and lower shadows to medium.
 
The game has tons of cut-scenes for just about everything. Ninjas, all your agents, new units, special events, and more.

Awesome :) the cutscenes of the original were one of my favourite parts of the game, and I have sorely missed them in the following TW games. The geisha assassinations were particularly entertaining.
 
Did anybody here win the historical battle from the demo? Because I never came close. My strategy was basically, go get 'em. The problem was, you're outnumbered. So what to do? I tried grouping everyone and heading for the hills. That sort of worked. I still lost, but it was a close defeat.

It's possible to win, although thus far it's only a close victory. You should do proper placing, the positions when you start the Battle of Sekigahara is not ideal.

Yeah historically your side get curb-stomped. Although 82k v. 88k is not really lopsided, but many of the leaders of the 82k was just too cowardly in the real battle, hence they basically lost half of their men, while the Eastern forces casualties were "minimal"
 
Just bought it myself, sadly it is almost bed time :(. Will definitely be played this weekend sometime. I bought a 10k rpm drive some years ago, great sadness at these hugeeee installs!

Also, I bought it at best buy and one of the codes is for an extra 1000 gold at the beginning...why would I even want that? weird.
 
Last edited:
Just bought it myself, sadly it is almost bed time :(. Will definitely be played this weekend sometime. I bought a 10k rpm drive some years ago, great sadness at these hugeeee installs!

Also, I bought it at best buy and one of the codes is for an extra 1000 gold at the beginning...why would I even want that? weird.

1000 koku is actually a decent amount of coin. The economy in the game is pretty tight and the faster you can get your trade ports up the better of you'll be.
 
If you mean the tech tree for your empire's chi and bushido it's on the lower right corner. The button with the swords. If you mean the tech tree for your generals or agents you have to left click on their portrait.

for buildings, what i need to unlock it.
 
I had the same problem. Demo ran smooth for me but the retail campaign map stuttered like crazy. I'm guessing they removed some things to tweak for the upcoming DX11 patch. What worked for me was to turn off ssao and lower shadows to medium.

Okay, i'm glad to hear this. If you find a better solution please pm me.
 
Just as I get into playing every game I start damn game crashes. Then I rage and don't go back on for a few hours. I have been enjoying it otherwise.
 
Shogun 2 gets 9/10 from IGN

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1156095p1.html

Closing Comments

Longtime fans will surely find a lot that's familiar in Shogun 2, but will also find Creative Assembly's most polished, well-presented and playable version of its Total War franchise. Shogun 2 is an expertly tuned turn-based strategy game filled with exhilarating real-time tactical battles against a capable artificial intelligence or others online. With a gigantic multiplayer suite and fantastic visuals and sound, Shogun 2 is a high point for the Total War series, featuring a staggering attention to detail and immensely satisfying gameplay.
 
Oh, there's a built in encyclopedia. It's a button in the upper left hand corner of the campaign map. Or just right click on a building and it'll bring up the encyclopedia.

I meant a print out, i want to see the whole thing at once.
 
Sadly SLI doesn't work with this game. In fact, it even hinders performance. Setting the SLI profile to Single Card doesn't help either...you need to disable SLI entirely. :(
 
Sadly SLI doesn't work with this game. In fact, it even hinders performance. Setting the SLI profile to Single Card doesn't help either...you need to disable SLI entirely. :(

It did with the demo. I forget which one, but try AFR1 and AFR2.
 
Last night I finally got the campaign map to run smoothly. You know the square toggle boxes below the other settings in the graphics menu? I turned every one off, except the effects one.

And what was the difference visually? I switched back and forth five times and couldn't see any difference at all.

In game, the killers are also the toggle buttons. Oddly, the 'effects' toggle (the one that creates the fog and the clouds), has the most dramatic impact, but seems to cost next to nothing.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I haven't even started. I had to sort out that stuttering campaign map issue. Damn. The map is beautiful. It somehow feels more alive than the Civ 5 map - you get blowing leaves in the fall, and cherry blossoms in the spring. Very cool.
 
Questions:

Did they increase the number of troops you can have in a single army?
During sieges, are you still stuck with a huge castle and only 1500 troops to man it like in MTW2?
 
I just bought the game without trying the demo. I realised there was a demo and tried it on steam before activating the key on steam. It seems to be a lot complicated than I had assumed. Is there a learning curve for the total war games ?I am having second thoughts ...should have gone for DA2.:(
 
Just put my first few hours in, great game, much improved I must say.

cukoo, I felt a bit overwhelmed at first, spend an hour or two and it becomes a lot easier. Initially I had the same thought as you, felt overwhelmed and didnt really want to play. Spent a few hours playing and the little helper people explained everything quite well. It does seem like a lot to manage though once you get growing though.
 

And yet it still does stupid things like running my cavalry right through the middle of my infantry formation, completely screwing up the cavalry formation right before a charge. They couldn't have put in some pathfinding logic? At least it isn't as bad as Empire where my cavalry would chase an enemy right through my own cavalry barriers, killing the whole group.
 
Word on the TW:S2 forums is indicating that AMD 5xxx and 6xxx series card owners are seeing a performance increase using the new preview drivers.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/03/1...review-driver-that-you-have-been-waiting-for/

The link cites only 6xxx series but it seems to help older Gen as well.

I ran the demo with max settings (no AA) and was getting 3-5 fps in battles, I am about to see how the full version works out with the new drivers.

edit: bah, looks like another patch 2gb, I'll post results later

edit 2: Much better, combination of new drivers and retail copy vs demo. I'm now getting 30-45 fps in the battle screen.
 
Last edited:
Man this game is fantastic! I'm not much of a strategy Gamer, but Shogun 2 sucked me in within seconds. Never have I experienced such an intuitive and helpful tutorial system. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but soon found myself at ease.

The battles are stunning! I've already saved a few that looked as though I would be toast, but some luck through tactics save me hehe. Everything feels very polished.

I'm still learning ship battles, any advice?

Even if you're not much of a strategy Gamer, get this game!
 
Man this game is fantastic! I'm not much of a strategy Gamer, but Shogun 2 sucked me in within seconds. Never have I experienced such an intuitive and helpful tutorial system. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but soon found myself at ease.

The battles are stunning! I've already saved a few that looked as though I would be toast, but some luck through tactics save me hehe. Everything feels very polished.

I'm still learning ship battles, any advice?

Even if you're not much of a strategy Gamer, get this game!

do the tutorial.

yes, best game i have played in a long time. It is very hard to step away from it. i've been staying up late just to play.
 
I just bought the game without trying the demo. I realised there was a demo and tried it on steam before activating the key on steam. It seems to be a lot complicated than I had assumed. Is there a learning curve for the total war games ?I am having second thoughts ...should have gone for DA2.:(

Tutorial. At first, it'll seem like a chore for a several rounds until you get the hang of things. Then in no time, you'll start going through the procedures quickly. Might seem complicated but in actuality, it's fairly easy.

lol, I keep straying away from the campaign with custom battles.It looks great even as it is.
 
Back
Top