Shogun 2: Total War

Just had an epic battle in my Hard difficulty Shimazu campaign. 2000 enemy soldiers attempted to siege my castle holding 1700 of my men. The enemy had a 4 star general and mostly samurai bowman and katana samurai with a couple of light calvary. My army consisted of mostly ashigaru bowman and spearmen with a couple of light cavalry.

30 minutes later the castle floor is littered with dead bodies. Thousands of arrows were fired, fire grenades tossed into packs of enemies, and his forces wiped out save for 16 men. Unfortunately his bowman caused severe casualties and I'm down to 600 men with 2 full stacks of enemies heading my way. I think the war is lost. I'm loving that it's actually a challenge to win a campaign now. Best Total War yet.
 
Last edited:
Why do you even care? Based on your sigline you don't even have a rig capable of running DX11. You should be happy that you are holding the rest of us back, by forcing developers to cater to gamers such as yourself.

Unlike the majority of people in the world, I actually give a shit about stuff that doesn't directly affect me. It's called not having one's head up one's ass.

Get a clue, fella. Half of the forum or more has DX11-enabled computers. Of course it's something I am going to notice and post when it affects half of the forum.

I'm not holding anything back since I don't actually want to be catered to with DX9-enabled games. Go look at my Battlefield 3 posts...oh that's right, god-forbid anybody here be informed on a fellow user before launching an attack with irrational and blatantly false logic :rolleyes:.
 
Just had an epic battle in my Hard difficulty Shimazu campaign. 2000 enemy soldiers attempted to siege my castle holding 1700 of my men. The enemy had a 4 star general and mostly samurai bowman and katana samurai with a couple of light calvary. My army consisted of mostly ashigaru bowman and spearmen with a couple of light cavalry.

30 minutes later the castle floor is littered with dead bodies. Thousands of arrows were fired, fire grenades tossed into packs of enemies, and his forces wiped out save for 16 men. Unfortunately his bowman caused severe casualties and I'm down to 600 men with 2 full stacks of enemies heading my way. I think the war is lost. I'm loving that it's actually a challenge to win a campaign now. Best Total War yet.

Agreed, I am playing on hard as well...and its...well..hard! Enemies arent as stupid and the castle structure makes each siege different and interesting. I actually gave up two campaigns so far just learning the ins and outs of the game. Just got home from my buddies now and am going to play again for a few hours. This is the definition of a game that is worth your money. I can see playing this for at least a month or two.
 
More than a month for me. I can only spend an hour or two on this every two or three nights, so I'll still be playing this 3 months from now. I love the campaign map.
 
One of my allies in the campaign mode is mowing people down... going to suck when I have to turn on him as I might have more armies while he is more spread out now.
 
Why do you even care? Based on your sigline you don't even have a rig capable of running DX11. You should be happy that you are holding the rest of us back, by forcing developers to cater to gamers such as yourself.

I agree on this, the game is an RTS and unlike FPS's I am happy with the current graphics now.
 
I agree on this, the game is an RTS and unlike FPS's I am happy with the current graphics now.

Make no mistake. My post was solely a personal attack against "Plague_Injected" and not meant to reflect the feelings of the majority of hardcore PC gamers who want DX11 to be included. Personally speaking, I want as many games as possible to be released that support DX11. We need to be moving forward and not be held back by the consoles.
 
How is this compared to Empire Total war?

Edit: Screw it I bought it haha can't wait to get it dl'd
 
Last edited:
The last Total War game I played was Medieval 2, and I'm thinking about getting this one. Can anyone elaborate how the two compare? This might be the game to hold me over until BF3...
 
The last Total War game I played was Medieval 2, and I'm thinking about getting this one. Can anyone elaborate how the two compare? This might be the game to hold me over until BF3...

Just play the demo. The game pretty much can be gauged through that. I never played Medieval only Civ V. So far to me this is chess and Civ V is checkers.
 
Just play the demo. The game pretty much can be gauged through that. I never played Medieval only Civ V. So far to me this is chess and Civ V is checkers.

Totally agree with you on that.
 
Can't wait to try this! I bought it from someone on the forum and I am waiting for him to PM me the steam code later.

Was watching some videos and it looks great, a little concerned that it will run shitty with my video card (8800GT 512MB) but this might be an excuse to upgrade haha.
 
I haven't played a total war game seriously in a long time. I'm getting my butt kicked as the Shimazu on Normal difficulty.
 
Any old school gamer's here play Nintendo's Nobunaga's Ambition? This game reminds me of that except x 1000. I'm in RTS gaming bliss right now. Talk about fangasm.

Seeing alot of the same features implemented in this game.
 
Any old school gamer's here play Nintendo's Nobunaga's Ambition? This game reminds me of that except x 1000. I'm in RTS gaming bliss right now. Talk about fangasm.

Seeing alot of the same features implemented in this game.

Yeah, its a weird mix of civ and rts. I was playing for several hours today only to realize I totally messed up my tech tree which ended with my enemies coming at me with samurai when I still had the beginning units. This game is tough...you think you're doing great then another strong enemy comes out of nowhere.
 
Yeah, its a weird mix of civ and rts. I was playing for several hours today only to realize I totally messed up my tech tree which ended with my enemies coming at me with samurai when I still had the beginning units. This game is tough...you think you're doing great then another strong enemy comes out of nowhere.

Ah. You'll get the hang of it. Did you go through the tutorial?

Man, I'm having a tough time on Hard and I consider myself to be well-versed in TW games. Had to load a previous save several turns back that caused me to essentially lose 3 major advancing armies. lol, is anyone else having terrible luck with their agents? I've lost 3 ninjas. I'm currently 0/8 on assassinations and essentially use ninjas as an advance spy unit instead.
 
Ah. You'll get the hang of it. Did you go through the tutorial?

Man, I'm having a tough time on Hard and I consider myself to be well-versed in TW games. Had to load a previous save several turns back that caused me to essentially lose 3 major advancing armies. lol, is anyone else having terrible luck with their agents? I've lost 3 ninjas. I'm currently 0/8 on assassinations and essentially use ninjas as an advance spy unit instead.

I did, so used to playing total war 2 on very hard so I am playing w/ a hard faction on hard setting. This is the first TW game where I sit and ponder my turn and really think about all my actions. I am really enjoying learning from my mistakes though. The few tips I have for people

1. Build trade ships early, 100 initial cost but you reap huge benefits from setting up trade routes. Also you can beat the computer to the ports. Pirates dont come for several years and usually you can have a good wealth of trade networks setup by then.

2. Dont ignore diplomacy, its absolutely critical in this game. Think heavily about your alliances and trade partners as it may mean life or death in later years. Setup strong relationships early.

3. Dont go to war with every target possible. Choose who you fight very carefully. On hard at least, I have more than enough people declaring war on me and the last thing you need is their 7 allies attacking you.

4. Dont try to build an elite unit tree from buildings/research too early. You wont have the money to support them and you can cripple yourself by missing other key upgrades that keep you at your enemies level.

So far, game of the year for me...
 
Last edited:
This is my favorite game by far. I can't believe I hadn't heard of the total war series until a month ago!

So, what's with the trade ships? I could never figure them out... What do they do?
 
This is my favorite game by far. I can't believe I hadn't heard of the total war series until a month ago!

So, what's with the trade ships? I could never figure them out... What do they do?

There are several trade nodes on the map, mostly on the west coast of Japan. If you park a trade ship on the node you'll get extra revenue and goods that you can trade to other clans.
 
There are several trade nodes on the map, mostly on the west coast of Japan. If you park a trade ship on the node you'll get extra revenue and goods that you can trade to other clans.


Ah, is it those anchor icons? I was trying to figure out what those where...
Posted via Mobile Device
 
I've never finished a TW game. This is the best one yet. Buy or download and enjoy......I like it. but how bout a civil war version!
 
What faction is everyone playing as? Only one I have tried so far is Uesegi. They arent super tough but are made tough by some aggressive fast expanding neighbors....
 
I love this game series. I was hooked since Shogun Total War ever came out. Led me to buy Midieval Total War, played Warlord Edition. I might buy STW2!
 
I'm loving this game so much. I have Rome, Medieval 2, and Empire, but was never really able to get into them.

One thing makes Shogun 2 really stand out to me: interface. The interface in this game is downright amazing. I tried playing Empire after playing a bit of Shogun 2, and it was a struggle, simply because the interface was obtuse and impossible to comprehend to an unfamiliar player. With Shogun 2, everything feels completely intuitive. The world map also looks drop dead gorgeous compared to the rest of the games (and especially Empire).
 
I'm loving this game so much. I have Rome, Medieval 2, and Empire, but was never really able to get into them.

One thing makes Shogun 2 really stand out to me: interface. The interface in this game is downright amazing. I tried playing Empire after playing a bit of Shogun 2, and it was a struggle, simply because the interface was obtuse and impossible to comprehend to an unfamiliar player. With Shogun 2, everything feels completely intuitive. The world map also looks drop dead gorgeous compared to the rest of the games (and especially Empire).

Yeah, I was looking at an enemy town when I noticed they had actual rainbows over some of the streams, attention to detail, impressive.
 
Anyone care to explain me cooperative campaign ?? I want to buy this, but unless i can play coop campaign i wont untill prices drop (got burned to MP empires)
 
I did, so used to playing total war 2 on very hard so I am playing w/ a hard faction on hard setting. This is the first TW game where I sit and ponder my turn and really think about all my actions. I am really enjoying learning from my mistakes though. The few tips I have for people


3. Dont go to war with every target possible. Choose who you fight very carefully. On hard at least, I have more than enough people declaring war on me and the last thing you need is their 7 allies attacking you.

So far, game of the year for me...


lol, I think the AI is a tad too aggressive in terms of diplomacy. I initially had 4 allies who went to war with me every time even when the Shogunate decided their onslaught. After taking Kyoto (they give you a relatively large ship which is useful for fighting against the Black Ship) and expanding a tad too much, my allies started declaring war on me (come on....I wouldn't have bothered killing them) due to the Great Divide.

Anyhow, I'm currently at war with every single clan. Withdrew all 5 2000+ advancing armies towards Date/Hojo/Takeda and heading back to Kyoto to defend. All trade income is essentially gone and it's all based around rice fields, markets, and foreign trading ports.

So note to other players, don't trust your allies even when they're supposed to be "dependable" and have a relatively large rearguard available. I'm quite enjoying the battles and the backstabbing though. Gives me motivation to try. I love the fact that the AI is actually coordinating large scale attacks together and putting in a challenge.
 
A lot of people are complaining that the great divide is...well too great. I wouldnt be surprised if they patched it to make it possible to keep one ally or at least a trading partner.
 
There's a mod out already for realm divide,

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436082

Realm Divide Mod v1.0

This mod changes the realm divide event significantly. Instead of a low initial diplomacy hit which adds up every turn by -5 points until you get a -200 penalty, you get a moderate initial hit (around -55 on normal difficulty) which gets reduced every turn by -4 points. That way allies and factions you have good relations with may stay on your side and diplomacy doesn't become impossible after the realm divide event.

The mod also contains some minor diplomatic adjustments: financial gifts and giving away you children as hostages both have longer lasting diplomatic effects (reduction of the effects each turn is now -4 instead of -5).
 
Is it just me, or is the defending castle siege AI still brain-dead? Attacked a castle yesterday with a couple of the spearmen and a bunch of bowman, only to find that the castle was defended by a lot of cavalry. Uh oh, I figure I'm dead - the AI'll sortie the cavalry and rip up my bowmen and then mop up the spearmen. But no, the AI just sat in the caslte and let me shred him with arrows for the entire campaign. By the time I actually went over the walls, he was at about 25% strength and it was a walkover.

This is on normal difficulty.
 
good game except for the campaign game save bug where the game crashes.... that needs to be fixed
 
Back
Top