Shogun 2: Total War

I hope they really improve the multiplayer for the next game. Right now I really like it and it seems like it's a huge step up from past games. But it feels like it's stuck between mediocrity and greatness right now. I have a lot of fun with skirmish matches, but I think it could be a lot more meaningful, more refined, and overall better executed. I don't see myself playing SP much anymore, but MP is still fun.
 
I found that Dark Side economics guide this weekend via google search, and man did it help me. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to building attributes and builts WAYYY to many markets. I figured far off provinces, no need for specialized unit buildings, I'll just have it make money, not realizing they would consume 2 food each when fully upgraded. I actually lasted several years with food of -4 to -16! :eek: 4 rebellions later and me getting frustrated with the game, a google search saved me, JUST in time for the realm split.

I chose the long campaign, I think I have 8 years left right now to take 10 more provinces (at 50 right now). With about 6 full stacks running around I should be fine.

Oh, and my full stack of nothing but monk naginata, monk archers and grand cavalry just struck out from Kyoto. I cannot f'ing WAIT to go into battle with those guys. Should be a slaughter. :)
 
Hmm I'd say we're very far ahead of AI in the 90s. But what you appear to be asking for is an actual intelligent learning computer that can adapt to probably thousands, perhaps millions, of unique variables that work out to perhaps billions of different outcomes and situations.

If you can figure out how to code that, you're sure as hell not putting it into a $50 video game.

skynet........
 
Interesting... apparently my income went from 5k per turn to... 27 million!

shogun22011-04-08_00002.jpg


Narrowed it down to a glitch in raiding. When I pulled a fleet off a trading route, it corrected my income; when I put it back on, it sky rocketed back to 27 mil.
 
Multiplayer has some big issues right now. Me and 2 of my friends spent over an hour trying to get into a 3v3 match with no success. Kept getting the army invalid bug.
 
Multiplayer has some big issues right now. Me and 2 of my friends spent over an hour trying to get into a 3v3 match with no success. Kept getting the army invalid bug.

Did you have seige without the proper ".......". Cannot remember the name of the stat boosters you get to pick. Thats the only time I saw this error.
 
Beat my first campaign, a Domination campaign, with Choksabe. A very satisfying victory.

The only thing I was a bit sad about is that my full stack of archer monks and naginata monks wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. Grand Cavalry though...wow. I was just messing around with some dumb custom battles, all cavalry (bad), all no-dachi samurai (a win, surprisingly), etc. The grand cavalry, even with the entire rest of the army routed, kept fighting until nearly the last man. And took a long damn time to go down, too.

The katana cavalry was definitely the best all around cavalry. Yari cavalry was good but really had to be micromanaged..charge in, retreat, charge in again, repeat.
 
I am a bit bored tbh, I love the game but I feel like its all the same. I prefer the different regions and the larger playfield of Europe. Still a very good game but I will probably put it on hold for several months or until the expansion...
 
Finished my first campaign the other day also - Realm Divide ended up being manageable once I realized the vassals created after the Realm Divide no longer had the diplo penalty, and so remained vassals. The brain dead AI is starting to wear on me though, especially the seige AI. I have never had the non-rebel AI lay seige to a caslte, they always attack, even if they have a force of all cavalry against my force of bowmen - which would be an easy win for them if they forced a battle out of the castle by laying seige. Instead, they attack, dismount the cavalry, and get slaughtered by the bowmen. Likewise, when I attack a castle, they'll stay bottled up inside while I rain arrows down on them all day long - to the point that I can defeat a superior army without taking a single loss - whereas I'd lose convincingly if he sortied out of the castle. Maybe a patch can fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
By the end I felt the same way. I wish the AI would defend provinces much better; it was tiring to have to fight out every siege battle manually in order to inflict the proper amount of pain on attacking armies.

With castles I figured out a nearly unbeatable strategy with even just a few units. Put your archers on the far wall to attack as troops advance to your walls. Put a unit of melee troops on guard mode inside the circle used to capture your guard tower.

Once the enemy reaches your walls, pull your archers back and put them all on the walls the next level up. As the enemy fights your defensive troops in front of the guard tower, they absolutely get hammered by the guard tower and archers. Once you see morale start to wave, if you have any other melee troops in reserve charge them and break them.

Using those tactics I won some huge victories against attacking armies 4-5 times the size of my defending troops. Just a few units of ashigaru and the garrisoned troops.
 
By the end I felt the same way. I wish the AI would defend provinces much better; it was tiring to have to fight out every siege battle manually in order to inflict the proper amount of pain on attacking armies.

With castles I figured out a nearly unbeatable strategy with even just a few units. Put your archers on the far wall to attack as troops advance to your walls. Put a unit of melee troops on guard mode inside the circle used to capture your guard tower.

Once the enemy reaches your walls, pull your archers back and put them all on the walls the next level up. As the enemy fights your defensive troops in front of the guard tower, they absolutely get hammered by the guard tower and archers. Once you see morale start to wave, if you have any other melee troops in reserve charge them and break them.

Using those tactics I won some huge victories against attacking armies 4-5 times the size of my defending troops. Just a few units of ashigaru and the garrisoned troops.

I usually tried to fight them on the walls with melee troops, with archer support from behind - maybe I'll try letting them inside next time.

You know something is messed up when an auto-resolved battle results in a complete defeat for me (down to the last man), but the same battle manually resolved results in a complete defeat for the AI.
 
I usually tried to fight them on the walls with melee troops, with archer support from behind - maybe I'll try letting them inside next time.

You know something is messed up when an auto-resolved battle results in a complete defeat for me (down to the last man), but the same battle manually resolved results in a complete defeat for the AI.

I find it works best if you put archers at the walls as they fire faster and seemingly more accurate. As the enemy starts climbing the walls I just pull them back and put the melee in there for a minute until they route. Siege attack/defense has always been a weak point of total war. The best idea for them at this time is to just have enemies siege until starvation tbh. They would try that fairly often in the old TW games.
 
I find it works best if you put archers at the walls as they fire faster and seemingly more accurate. As the enemy starts climbing the walls I just pull them back and put the melee in there for a minute until they route. Siege attack/defense has always been a weak point of total war. The best idea for them at this time is to just have enemies siege until starvation tbh. They would try that fairly often in the old TW games.

Yeah, that's what I menat - I arrow from the walls until they get close, then swap them out.

I don't know why I keep falling for CA's line of crap on these games. At least twice before I've told myself I'm not buying any more Empire games until they fix the AI, and I keep falling for thier line of crap and buying anyway. The AI has done stupid things as least as far back as Rome, but I just keep lining up for abuse.
 
I found it fun despite the AI, but some of the fights I won left me feeling a bit unsatisfied, like instead of winning based on my skill I won based on the AI not using it's troops properly. Like in the example you stated, a castle full of 2x as many cavalry as I had troops and I just walk up with nothing but archers and kill all of them. If they had simply rallied out of the gates they would have wiped the floor with my bowmen.
 
Big Patch coming first week of May.

Hi guys,

In the weeks since Total War: Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been working super-hard to make the Shogun 2 experience as great as we can make it. As part of our long-term commitment to supporting the game, we’ve been making issues identified by members of our community our top priority.

So, we’re planning to roll out some fairly substantial fixes in the coming weeks and months. The first stage of this is Patch 2 which, we’re thrilled to announce, will also upgrade the engine to DirectX 11. This means those of you with DX11-capable cards will be able to access features such as hardware tessellation and enhanced shadowing. Patch 2 will also bring Anti-Aliasing support.

Since Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been completely blown away by the success of multiplayer. However, the multiplayer issues many of you have identified require our thorough attention, so that’s a really big priority as well. You can expect a raft of multiplayer fixes and modifications in Patch 2, and beyond.

You’ll appreciate that all this takes a lot of time and testing, and while we’re working as hard as we can, we may not quite make the 2-4 week post-launch window that we’d originally hoped to hit. We’re aiming to get patch 2 to you in the first week of May though, so not long to wait now.

Thanks for your ongoing patience, and please bear with us!

Craig

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/15481-Official-DX11-statement?p=172928#post172928
 
Back
Top