Shogun 2: Total War

awesome. already a day 1 buy for me, but demo definitely has excited
 
Just got through playing the demo. Very nice. It's refreshing for a company to put out a demo before launch that actually works and represents the finished product.

I'll be picking this up.
 
A gorgeous campaign map, the four seasons depicted beautifully, with exaggerated elevations, and now fully rotatable - and, for once, no stuttering.

Love it.
 
There was a 300mb addition/update for the demo today on Steam, can't figure out what it changed.

I'm intrigued!
 
There was a 300mb addition/update for the demo today on Steam, can't figure out what it changed.

I'm intrigued!


Update list includes:
- Multicore supported ( 2 cores max)
- Increased performance ( not for everyone)
- Sound bugs fixed! All sounds can now be heard without a suddenly silence in the battlefield. Not 100% sure bout this one.
- Auto run is changed back to Auto walking once the order has been giving to the unit to move to a specific position. Double clicking is run.
 
LOL this game could show up at my house with Baby Jesus, Strippers, Drugs, Santa Claus, and the Pope and I still would not give those crooks at CA a dime. I hate a developer that pushes out a new product all the while promising to continue to fix their current buggy piece of crap only to forget all mention of those fixes once you have bought the new product. Lets not even being to go into how buggy the new product is as well. In 9 months or so when its 5 bucks in a steam sale and IF AND ONLY IF its not still a buggy piece of crap I might pick this up.
 
LOL this game could show up at my house with Baby Jesus, Strippers, Drugs, Santa Claus, and the Pope and I still would not give those crooks at CA a dime. I hate a developer that pushes out a new product all the while promising to continue to fix their current buggy piece of crap only to forget all mention of those fixes once you have bought the new product. Lets not even being to go into how buggy the new product is as well. In 9 months or so when its 5 bucks in a steam sale and IF AND ONLY IF its not still a buggy piece of crap I might pick this up.

Uh, okay.
 
LOL this game could show up at my house with Baby Jesus, Strippers, Drugs, Santa Claus, and the Pope and I still would not give those crooks at CA a dime. I hate a developer that pushes out a new product all the while promising to continue to fix their current buggy piece of crap only to forget all mention of those fixes once you have bought the new product. Lets not even being to go into how buggy the new product is as well. In 9 months or so when its 5 bucks in a steam sale and IF AND ONLY IF its not still a buggy piece of crap I might pick this up.

I didnt find Napoleon to be that buggy..just not very fun. Besides, if they can barely get hand to hand combat down and archery working properly, they should have known that guns would be way out of their league. In the future I will always by their sword/arrow games and avoid anything in the era of guns.
 
Medieval 2 was buggy and they basically lied and said buy our expansion to it we promise to continue to support the original and didnt then they said buy empire or whichever it was that was next it will fix things and we promise to continue to make Medieval 2 fixes for the base and the expansion... I dont think they ever did fix Medieval 2 or the expansion...I know a modder did a hell of a job at his attempt but CA bailed on their promises.
 
Medieval 2 was buggy and they basically lied and said buy our expansion to it we promise to continue to support the original and didnt then they said buy empire or whichever it was that was next it will fix things and we promise to continue to make Medieval 2 fixes for the base and the expansion... I dont think they ever did fix Medieval 2 or the expansion...I know a modder did a hell of a job at his attempt but CA bailed on their promises.

I love medieval 2 and Kingdoms...but thats mostly for the mod community and stainless steel. I think they could be a lot worse and they did quite well. Any game of massive scope is going to have problems but I would rather have it with some of those issues than not at all.
 
I tried the demo last night and was suitably impressed.

People are over in the other thread bitching about the crappy DA2 demo, but this one was a shining example of how one should be done to effectively sell your game. A video showing all the features and cool stuff in the game followed by just enough gameplay to whet your appetite and make you want more is a winning formula, IMO.

I've played all of the TW games except the original Shogun, and I've loved them, so I was definitely leaning towards buying this one anyway. I really like the art style used and the interface, and the engine seems to be more optimized and less taxing to my system than previous titles like Empire and Napoleon. Gameplay seems to be a more streamlined and polished version of other titles in the series, but is that a bad thing? After all, look at the changes from DoW to DoWII, or from DA to DA2. I like that I can just jump into the game and it feels familiar, and yet better.

Day one buy for me, no doubt.
 
I didnt find Napoleon to be that buggy..just not very fun. Besides, if they can barely get hand to hand combat down and archery working properly, they should have known that guns would be way out of their league. In the future I will always by their sword/arrow games and avoid anything in the era of guns.

There are tons of lies and broken promises regarding game-breaking problems with Empire that have never been fixed.
 
The demo was great and this was a game I did not plan on picking up right away but probably will now. It plays great and the battle and campaign maps are gorgeous.

Is it the case that it will only support two threads max? Napoleon works just fine on my PC but I haven't had much time to really play it. One of the things that made me buy it was the claim that it would support all of the cores on Intel hexacore CPUs (having the Task Manager open it seems that it uses one thread on each). I had read that Shogun 2 would also offer support for the extra cores, I hope that's the case.
 
Downloading the demo now. I will try it later tonight. Glad to hear that companies can still put out quality demo's
 
He does have a point. They release buggy games a bit prematurely and there will most likely be some big initial patches. For any other genre like fps I would say big deal, but for RTS it affects gameplay a whole lot more ie, buggy economy not calculating correctly, units not functioning properly, etc etc

Exhibit A http://www.shacknews.com/article/58339/major-empire-total-war-patch

He seemed to point out that Empire was buggy, which we all know.

What he didn't say, however, was that Napoleon was actually pretty stable for most people, myself included. What he didn't say was that the engine in Shogun 2 appears to be the best of the entire series.

Am I saying that Shogun 2 will be bug free - no I'm not saying that. But that campaign map is more detailed than any I've seen before, and for once it's not stuttering. The engine driving the real time battles not only looks stunning, but it appears to be the most optimized engine we've seen from Creative Assembly.

Maybe, before posting, he ought to have played the demo for himself... WITH AN OPEN MIND... instead of babbling a few facts we already knew about, and then telling us that he won't be buying the game.

So again...

Uh, okay.
 
Downloading the demo now. I will try it later tonight. Glad to hear that companies can still put out quality demo's

It's one of the best demos I've played in a very long time, probably going all the way back to the Arkham Asylum demo.
 
Did anyone have issues scrolling at the very first part in the tutorial. Mine was super choppy( almost like a full pause) even though frame rate was good. What settings are you guys running?
 
He seemed to point out that Empire was buggy, which we all know.

What he didn't say, however, was that Napoleon was actually pretty stable for most people, myself included. What he didn't say was that the engine in Shogun 2 appears to be the best of the entire series.

Am I saying that Shogun 2 will be bug free - no I'm not saying that. But that campaign map is more detailed than any I've seen before, and for once it's not stuttering. The engine driving the real time battles not only looks stunning, but it appears to be the most optimized engine we've seen from Creative Assembly.

Maybe, before posting, he ought to have played the demo for himself... WITH AN OPEN MIND... instead of babbling a few facts we already knew about, and then telling us that he won't be buying the game.

So again...

Uh, okay.

Actually I wasnt talking about any particular game but there has been a history since before Medevial 2 with CA games being buggy as hell. They also have a history of promising after sale support and patches to fix their games. They also have a history of abandoning said promises of support as soon as they have a new expansion or game ready to shovel out. I never even made it past Empire before I gave up on them as a company. Sure this one MIGHT be different but it has a LONG road to go with this particular gamer to make up for all the other shit this company has pulled. In my mind CA is like UBISoft they both put out broken games and then abandon them at the first oportunity rarely fixing the games before doing so. If it wasnt for the modders in most cases alot of the recent CA games would still be in shambles so at least they have that going for them. I shouldnt have to depend on the community though to make a game functional.
 
Last edited:
Oh damn.

You'll never guess what just happened.

I've spent about four hours in the demo just drooling over Shogun Two's quite frankly drop dead gorgeous campaign map... but ya know... this year I promised myself I wouldn't buy every title released to market. Actually, I just bought Dragon Age 2 yesterday, and Dead Space 2 a month before that - so kind of off to a bad start here.

The thing is, right now the Canadian dollar is stronger than the American dollar, meaning that when I buy from a US digital site, not only are there no taxes, but right now the titles are actually costing me less than advertised. Also, D2D has yet another 20% off sale happening right now. With the 20% off coupon, and the Canadian dollar being what it is, I could've bought Shogun 2 from D2D for $37 - pretty sweet for a day one. (Also, Shogun 2 apparently links to Steam, so there's no reason whatsoever to spend another ten dollars at Steam - anybody who buys Shogun 2 from Steam is essentially throwing money away.)

But I promised myself I wouldn't buy every title on day one. Well, you'll never guess what happened. I had the D2D page open, and I got up to pour myself an ice cold beverage, and when I returned to my computer I tripped on the carpet. Instinctively, I reached out to brace myself. My right hand randomly hit the mouse and my left hand randomly hit the keyboard, and somehow I accidentally entered my Visa number and hit the purchase button.

So there it is. Shogun 2 is mine now. Not my fault really. Stepping back and looking at these events, I would have to say that a higher power has intervened here. I owe the gaming gods a smiley face. So here. :)
 
Last edited:
I got up to pour myself an ice cold beverage, and when I returned to my computer I tripped on the carpet. Instinctively, I reached out to brace myself. My right hand randomly hit the mouse and my left hand randomly hit the keyboard, and somehow I accidentally entered my Visa number and hit the purchase button.

LOL. I wish that kind of "trip" could happen to me ;).

Anyway, I liked the demo too, it may be a preorder for me on d2d as well. shucks why do games that I have interest in come out in the same month?! crysis 2, this game, and maybe, just maybe homefront.
 
I may buy this, at 50 bucks it seems like a good bang for the buck. I have a 25 dollar gift card for the ol best buy as well so it cant be all that bad. I wanted Dragon Age 2 but with all the DLC nonsense I will probably wait until that has a special edition next year sometime.
 
Decided on this over DA 2 because I have time for only 1 game. This game just feels epic and I think it will be the best RTS on the market for quite a while.
 
I loved both, but yes, that Shogun 2 demo is hinting of the best Total War game ever. CA maybe hit the ball out of the park with this one.
 
I don't have to play it right this moment, but I think this is a must have. Purchased.
 
oh my. so which is the better value, $37 for Shogun 2 at D2D or the $65 Total War Collection from Steam (Shogun 2, Empire, Medieval 2, Napoleon and Rome Gold)?
 
Well, no offense to anyone but I feel that Shogun 1/Rome are quite graphically challenged at this point. They dont look very good at all. Medieval 2/Kingoms is fairly awesome though. If I hadnt played those already I would probably buy them first. Napoleon I would have never bought if I had the choice. Overall, Shogun 2 @37 I would say.
 
The viral campaigning for this game went a little overboard last night. All of the networks have totally bought into it.
 
Can you register the D2D download on Steam?

Pretty interesting too that I am d/l the demo from Steam at a solid 1.5MB/s while the two other d/l I have going from Steam (Assassins Creed and Call of Juarez) are only chugging along at ~180 KB/s each. Looks like Steam is going some QoS and is allocating more bandwidth to Shogun 2 (or perhaps newer titles in general?).
 
Last edited:
Can you register the D2D download on Steam?

Pretty interesting too that I am d/l the demo from Steam at a solid 1.5MB/s while the two other d/l I have going from Steam (Assassins Creed and Call of Juarez) are only chugging along at ~180 KB/s each. Looks like Steam is going some QoS and is allocating more bandwidth to Shogun 2 (or perhaps newer titles in general?).

It uses STeamworks, it even says on the D2D page that the game requires a third party d/l, so yes.
 
Back
Top