Samsung SA850 on PLS - the first review has been published (preproduction unit)

ignore yourself, if u cant support a discussion is not my fault.
Learn to respect the other users.

I only see you bash monitors, do you actually plan to buy one eventually or do you just like to flame?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only useless to him. It's best just to ignore Senna89.

Yes I agree.

The 27" is better in every single way.

16:9 is far better than 16:10

and

2560x1440 is far better than 1920x1200.

The 24 model feels midle age! Who wants to go back in time? We live in 2011!

I agree that 2560x1440 is better than 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 but, as always, a 16:10 monitor has fewer issues doing 16:9 resolutions (especially on PC) than a 16:9 monitor can do 16:10.

my 30" has no problem doing 2560x1440 and my 24"/26" screens have no problem doing 1920x1080.

Yes I agree.

The 27" is better in every single way.

16:9 is far better than 16:10

and

2560x1440 is far better than 1920x1200.

The 24 model feels midle age! Who wants to go back in time? We live in 2011!

I'm a huge fan of 16:10, but I ordered this monitor anyways. I really hope that wasn't a mistake.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

As I said in another thread, I'm not very good at reviewing stuff, certainly not as good as what you did with the U2412M, but I'll do what I can. I don't want anyone else wasting $850 if I can do anything to prevent it.

senna89 - Take a month off and brush up on the rules you agreed to when you joined:

(17) Posting is to be in ENGLISH only. Non-English posts will be locked or removed.

Google translator works well enough to see that you are trying to screw around with the forum posters and the mod staff. Not going to happen. Next time, it's permanent.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

As I said in another thread, I'm not very good at reviewing stuff, certainly not as good as what you did with the U2412M, but I'll do what I can. I don't want anyone else wasting $850 if I can do anything to prevent it.

You are always welcome to PM me or drop me a line if there is anything you want to know. I'm no expert but I'm willing to share whatever I can.

This displays forum is for sharing info and kudos to BlindedByScience for helping to perpetuate that edict. Not trying to rub it in but this has been a while in coming.

Cheers!

I agree that 2560x1440 is better than 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 but, as always, a 16:10 monitor has fewer issues doing 16:9 resolutions (especially on PC) than a 16:9 monitor can do 16:10.

my 30" has no problem doing 2560x1440 and my 24"/26" screens have no problem doing 1920x1080.

I agree, but I fear that LG will fallow Samsung's lead and abandon 30 inch displays. Especially sense they are moving tward higher pixel density.

wow, this is my next monitor. Less harsh coating, LED to save power, ability to hook up 2 PCs to the display, IPS-like picture, super high resolution... not much not to like from the featureset.

wow, this is my next monitor. Less harsh coating, LED to save power, ability to hook up 2 PCs to the display, IPS-like picture, super high resolution... not much not to like from the featureset.

Dual DVI inputs was one of the features that sold me on it. I was going to get the Hazro HZ27WC, but it only has one DVI input and I would have had to get a new KVM. With the SA850 I can still use my KVM for keyboard and mouse. I suppose I'd end up spending about the same with either monitor, but if the Hazro ever had an issue that needed me to RFR I'm sure the shipping cost to the UK wouldn't be cheap. ;)

It used WLED lighting which is cheaper. It's not a big deal to undercut an Apple monitor (the IPS monitor with equivalent back lighting) Apple has been ripping people off for what 20 years now..

I'm skeptical of something that is supposed to have such great new technology coming in at an MSRP below IPS monitors of the same size. Maybe they have some really cheap production process, but innovation is supposed to cost a lot of money in research and be capable of demanding higher prices.

This is *PS made by Samsung to compete with *PS made by LG.

I'm skeptical of something that is supposed to have such great new technology coming in at an MSRP below IPS monitors of the same size. Maybe they have some really cheap production process, but innovation is supposed to cost a lot of money in research and be capable of demanding higher prices.

It is Samsungs IPS clone, it really doesn't appear that much better, so consider it equivalent. Would you expect to enter the market with a product that is the same as your established competitor and charge more for it?

Also prices are very close. It undercuts Dells list price, but Dell regularly goes on sale for less.

It is Samsungs IPS clone, it really doesn't appear that much better, so consider it equivalent. Would you expect to enter the market with a product that is the same as your established competitor and charge more for it?

Also prices are very close. It undercuts Dells list price, but Dell regularly goes on sale for less.

based on one monitor that have one or two reviews from non authoritative reviewers,
you already know that PLS is a Samsung IPS clone.

it's funny. :)

based on one monitor that have one or two reviews from non authoritative reviewers,
you already know that PLS is a Samsung IPS clone.

it's funny. :)

The technology is the same; Samsung makes no secret of this. What did you read to ever think PLS is some sort of new break through technology?They tweaked enough things to avoid patent infringement, that is all.

Still no word about EU availability? The S27A850D is listed as "date unknown" for weeks. No signs about when the IPS dictatorship will finally come to an end.

243fgb7.jpg

I haven't had much time to test it, so this will be more of a teaser than anything else. My initial impression,.....................I love this monitor! The uniformity issue shown in the pre-production review is no longer an issue, at least not on mine. I also lucked out in that there are no dead/stuck pixels. I haven't calibrated it or even gone into the menu yet, but out of the box it looks great. Black levels seem better than my old HP LP2465 S-PVA. I tried out a couple of games and cannot detect any input lag, and ghosting is very, very minimal. I don't really notice it like I do on the HP. The AG coating is extremely light. Whites are white, and I cannot detect any of that crystalline effect.

My only complaint so far is that it does indeed have the typical white glow of IPS panels. Super PLS really is IPS with a different name.

Update: I spoke too soon. After playing a little bit of the game Limbo I can see some uniformity issues. Not as bad as in the review, but it's there. I'll have to try and take a picture of it. Also the black levels are not as good as my HP, close, but not quite there. Kind of disappointing, but again it's not calibrated.

Last edited:
Update: I spoke too soon. After playing a little bit of the game Limbo I can see some uniformity issues. Not as bad as in the review, but it's there. I'll have to try and take a picture of it. Also the black levels are not as good as my HP, close, but not quite there.

Yeah, black level and backlight bleeding can be hard to judge as they are entirely dependent on lighting conditions and content. I could have sworn my U2412 had no backlight bleed at all but once you turn all the lights out and give your eyes a few seconds to adjust then you start to see things that you normally don't :)

btw how are you finding the dot pitch? Do you feel the need to increase DPI or is the clearer coating making it easy enough to read at normal size?

btw how are you finding the dot pitch? Do you feel the need to increase DPI or is the clearer coating making it easy enough to read at normal size?

I didn't have a problem reading text at normal size. However, I just tried bumping up the DPI to 110% and it is easier on the eyes. I think I'll leave it there.

To be honest the panel looks to lean far closer to matte than glossy, which is good. How about firing up a dark movie scene in a average lit room and taking some pics?

243fgb7.jpg

I haven't had much time to test it, so this will be more of a teaser than anything else. My initial impression,.....................I love this monitor! The uniformity issue shown in the pre-production review is no longer an issue, at least not on mine. I also lucked out in that there are no dead/stuck pixels. I haven't calibrated it or even gone into the menu yet, but out of the box it looks great. Black levels seem better than my old HP LP2465 S-PVA. I tried out a couple of games and cannot detect any input lag, and ghosting is very, very minimal. I don't really notice it like I do on the HP. The AG coating is extremely light. Whites are white, and I cannot detect any of that crystalline effect.

Thank you! Looks awesome!

More pics please. :)

Gladely in a light room from the side soo you can see the coatingbehaviour.

Doesn't it us semi gloss coating? Thought this was confirmed months ago. If the black levels are worse than the HP which had a low contrast ratio for S-PVA then PLS is truly just IPS with a different name.:mad:

Doesn't it us semi gloss coating? Thought this was confirmed months ago. If the black levels are worse than the HP which had a low contrast ratio for S-PVA then PLS is truly just IPS with a different name.:mad:

It has been obivous for a while that PLS is just a small adjusted IPS.

If not, they would have chosen other resolution and sizes than:

23" 1920x1080
24" 1920x1200
27" 2560x1440

which is exactly the same as IPS.

Still. S27A850D have better antiglarecoating, and is faster than U2711 and U3011 which will make it the best IPS/PLS monitor on the market.

It hasn't been obvious. Xbit does not measure contrast properly, so it still could have been possible for PLS to not be as medicore as IPS when it comes to contrast. It is 2011 and PLS/IPS are still behind CRT.

Even Samsung claimed the same contrast as IPS from the beggining. Don't see why are people disappointed it looks "just like IPS". It was never going to be a revolutionary panel tech. It's only AG sensitive people that made it seem like that.

My only complaint so far is that it does indeed have the typical white glow of IPS panels. Super PLS really is IPS with a different name.

Update: I spoke too soon. After playing a little bit of the game Limbo I can see some uniformity issues. Not as bad as in the review, but it's there. I'll have to try and take a picture of it. Also the black levels are not as good as my HP, close, but not quite there. Kind of disappointing, but again it's not calibrated.

Glad you like it. A good way to "eye it" to test uniformity is to put a 50% grey screen up with a pixel tester like UDPixel and then move to a side of the screen and see if there are stripes or "blots" that show up. This is just a way to amplify the uniformity inconsistencies, and a cherry picked test.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it just helps show you where it is..

Another way is to put a grey screen or white up and take a photo without flash at a very fast shutter speed, like 1/500 or so.

Give it a few days. IPS/ <cough> PLS panels can sometimes improve over the first 50-100 hours I'm finding. My NEC 24" seemed bad on purchase and it has definitely improved.

Looks like 100% typical Samsung matte AG to me, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Back