Samsung SA850 on PLS - the first review has been published (preproduction unit)

contrast ratio means the depth of black ! :rolleyes:

That is not what contest ratio means. Contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black.

Black levels are a completely different measurement.

That is not what contest ratio means. Contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black.

Black levels are a completely different measurement.

ahahahahha

The contrast ratio will be compared whit same brightness of white :D
the white brightness is same, the principal factor is the brighness of black. :rolleyes:

senna89 has a point. Contrast ratio is usually determined by comparing against a fixed "usable" bright point (usually 120 cd/m^2)--in which case the contrast ratio and black level are inversely proportional.

senna89 has a point. Contrast ratio is usually determined by comparing against a fixed "usable" bright point (usually 120 cd/m^2)--in which case the contrast ratio and black level are inversely proportional.

what the meaning "has a point" ? :)

ahahahahha

The contrast ratio will be compared whit same brightness of white :D
the white brightness is same, the principal factor is the brighness of black. :rolleyes:

That's only true if the white brightness IS the same. The proper definition of contrast ratio does not take into account a fixed white level.

take for example an OLED screen, the blackest black level will be 0, but even if the white level is 1, the contrast ratio is still infinite.

Where if you take another type of technology, the black level could be 0.1 and the white level could be 1000 the CR would be 10000...

Or say you have two monitors both with a fixed black level of say "40" (say this number is a dark grey) but one monitor has a white level of 500 and the other has one of 5000...one monitor will have a CR 10x higher than the other but the black level remains the same.

Not to mention a higher CR does not mean something looks better, or has better blacks...there are many factors, such as lighting, type of screen, etc...

a norman human must to set the brightness around 120-200cd/m2, u cant use the brightness value for contrast ! the only important factor is the depth of black in this range of brightness value, if there's 2 monitors.......one have 1000:1 contrast ratio whit 500cd/m2 and another have 900:1 whit 150cd/m2, you cant compare both ! because 500cd/m2 is for noob, u must reduce it and will reduce the contrast ratio, is patetic.

when someone say about better contrast ratio like VA panel, the meaning is every time the deep black ! NOT the brightness ! NEVER ! :rolleyes:

Hmm..
- Black level: The luminance of a black (RGB=0,0,0) image measured in candela per square metre.
- While level: The luminance of a white (RGB=255,255,255 - considering a 24 bit panel) image measured in candela per square metre.
- Contrast ratio: Luminance of white divided by the luminance of black.
- The contrast ratio is independent of the backlight level. Reducing the backlight luminance will not reduce the contrast ratio. Any fluctuations will be due to measurement equipment round-offs.
- Deep blacks require that the backlight can be regulated down to a low/comfortable enough amount. This should be no problems for computer monitors. This would be a problem for most digital signage/information displays or industrial displays, where it is usually not really a requirement - readability in direct sunlight is.

senna89 said:
what the meaning "has a point" ? :)
Kinda hard to explain differently but, basically "has a point" means that your conclusions and thoughts are correct - either all, or some of them.... Maybe someone can come up with a better alternative explanation than me. :)

contrast ratio means the depth of black ! :rolleyes:

The question was: what is contrast?

This ... is in every other post!
Dynamic range, static contrast ratio, dysplay contrast - what is your "contrast"?

Last edited:
No clue?
Then why not refrain from posting "contrast" offtopic rant in every thread? :eek:

So why couldn't the 27" be 16:10? I guess it would've been even more expensive, and maybe Samsung wanted to keep it under $1000?

So why couldn't the 27" be 16:10? I guess it would've been even more expensive, and maybe Samsung wanted to keep it under $1000?

What 27" are 16:10? As far as I know 1920x1080/2560x1440 has been standard resolutions in that size category for a long time now?

Good news, for some, the 24 PLS will be 1920X1200. Confirmed by TFT Central. 6-bit panel hmm.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/24.htm#samsung_s24a850dw
Searching the web for the panel they reference (LTM240CL01) seems to show 8-bit+FRC (effectively 10-bit), instead of 6-bit+FRC. That would probably align better with its placement as a "professional" class monitor. I really hope so, considering the Dell U2412M is now pretty much guaranteed to be 6-bit.

S27A850 is 2560x1440 (16:9)

I suppose professionals will choose this model over the 16:10 which only is 1920x1200.

The question should be why they did 24" 16:10?
It is more and more obvious that PLS basically is the same thing as IPS. And the 21.5, 23 and 27" IPS are 16:9 while the 24" IPS are 16:10.

Last edited:
I really hope we'll get some real reviews soon, so I can get some kind of confirmation as to whether this is worth waiting for or not.

Ya, I've been pushing of buying the 2711 since december since this was supposed to be out in the spring, now its the end of summer and still no real info. I thought it was reannounced for july.

I've been pushing of(f) buying the 2711

Do not do that. If you have even the slightest desire for a clear picture, you'll regret it, and good luck getting your money back from Dell. It took me 4 months and numerous phone calls with their foreign outsourced lackeys to get them to cough up my $700+ (their $115 restocking fee subtracted, of course) when I returned the U2711 I bought last year. Never, ever again.

Keep waiting.

Do not do that. If you have even the slightest desire for a clear picture, you'll regret it, and good luck getting your money back from Dell. It took me 4 months and numerous phone calls with their foreign outsourced lackeys to get them to cough up my $700+ (their $115 restocking fee subtracted, of course) when I returned the U2711 I bought last year. Never, ever again.

Keep waiting.

Qft. Eric Franklin @ C|net just posted that he should have a review sample of the SA850 coming very soon. It would seem the display really IS right around the corner now. Keep waiting.

That is great news! Hopefully, this means more reviews will follow suit soon as well, although if the same problems the Russian reviewer had pops up in this one, I don't think I will wait it out any longer.

the S27A850D is out and available many places. does anyone have one yet or know of any reviews. is it good for gaming, does it have 120hz

it is not backordered! its available and in stock at 44 online stores. anyone have any info on this monitor? was going to get the 120hz 3d 950d model but this one is a PLS screen (similar to IPS)not a TN screen like the 3d model

Did it just become available today? seems like it has bad backlight bleed, also bad low contrast ratio.

EDIT. Wow i waited to long and now its sold out @ buy.com

Last edited:
"In stock" sooner or later becomes "sold out".

There is a mistake in CR measurement. It must be OK.
Yes, uniformity problems.

Could the uniformity issue cause the low contrast ratio, meaning if they address that then the contrast will go up?

I wish samsung still made more true S-PVA panels as in my opinion i find those to look best for my use. I like the great contrast and the Color shift is minimal and definitely better than the new c-pva ones. Theres also zero off angle glow. I had an H-IPS panel and got rid of it because I found the contrast to be crap, and the off angle glowing annoyed me like crazy.

For real! My 22" HP S-PVA is still the best looking for me. No glow and really nice black level (for an lcd).

Back