Samsung SA850 on PLS - the first review has been published (preproduction unit)

Yes, $900 is a bit too high.
But for a high resolution *PS with reasonable number of features it's OK for the beginning.

Yes, $900 is a bit too high.

I agree, considering I've see the Dell 27" got for as low as $700 shipped. Plus add the fact that Dell's support and warranty are among the best if not the best. I know this has a 3 year, but I doubt Samsung would make it as easy and hassle free as Dell does.

PLS panels are supposed to cost less to produce compared to IPS

Doesnt matter.

Obviously they set the price to maximize their profit. It is a new desirable product and no reason for them to give it away for free. If that statement is true though we could expect the prices to go down.

LG has owned the highend market for a few years now and if the PLS panels are good they will have to reply in some way.

Obviously they set the price to maximize their profit. It is a new desirable product and no reason for them to give it away for free. If that statement is true though we could expect the prices to go down.

Only to some extent do companies do this. A good example is the iPad2. When it first came out you could buy it for $500 and sell it for twice as much in hong kong. (which is kind of ironic because they make the thing a few miles away from HK).

FWIW The $850 price I saw seems reasonably to me. If it gets to Newegg @ 800 sounds good to me..
How much wiggle room they have below the $800 dollar mark is anyone's guess really.

Charge 1200$ if it meants I don't have to exchange the thing 4 times due to backlight bleeding and screen tinting (cough LG panels).

I agree, considering I've see the Dell 27" got for as low as $700 shipped. Plus add the fact that Dell's support and warranty are among the best if not the best. I know this has a 3 year, but I doubt Samsung would make it as easy and hassle free as Dell does.

Also depends on how many quality panels Samsung will be able to produce.

According to a Samsung press release yesterday, the SA850 will be releasing in July, and in two sizes:

850 Series: Pro Panel for Perfectionists

Designed with graphic and video professionals in mind, the 850 Series employs Samsung’s Plane Line Switching (PLS) Technology, offers users an improved viewing angle, 100-percent sRGB color support and ultra-high definition resolution – necessities for intensive design or editing work.The 850 Series also boasts comfortable ergonomics for comfortable viewing, and Proximity and Ambient Light sensors to keep energy costs at a minimum.

The 850 Series’ connectivity options and Picture by Picture feature, which allows two video sources to be displayed simultaneously, make the 850 Series a sophisticated solution for users with particular demands.

* LED-backlit
* Panel Technology: Plane Line Switching (PLS) for improved viewing angle and 100% sRBG color support
* Picture by Picture feature allows two video sources to be displayed simultaneously (27-inch)
* Proximity and Ambient Light sensors
* DisplayPort connectivity
* Upgraded height adjustable stand with pivot feature (strut-type)
* Built-in wire and adapter management with hard power switch
* Matte bezel and display
* Thin bezel with slim profile
* Tactile Buttons
* Sizes:
o 24-inch (1920 x 1080)
o 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
* Availability: July

Pricing on all models is TBD.

Is this the first we've heard about a 24-inch version? Certainly the first I've heard of it, although I'm almost certainly going for the 27-inch...

According to a Samsung press release yesterday, the SA850 will be releasing in July, and in two sizes:

Is this the first we've heard about a 24-inch version? Certainly the first I've heard of it, although I'm almost certainly going for the 27-inch...
According to this: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/product/monitor.html the 24-inch one is 1920x1200 (16:10), not 1920x1080 (16:9) like your reference mentions, and this Samsung page has been up since late last year, so we had a good idea it was coming :).

i wait the S24A850, the 27" version i dont care ! 600-700$ and 0.233mm dot pitch unreadable? no thanks.

So the 24 inch will be 1920x1080?

Earlier on the 24" has been reported to be 1920x1200.

Last edited:
1920 x 1200
good ! 0.27mm dot pitch and light ag coating = Super sharpness not like LG / Dell IPS :rolleyes:

So the 24 inch will be 1920x1080?

Earlier on the 24" has been reported to be 1920x1200.

There's obviously some confusion about that, I've noted it in several PC monitor forums. I'd assume the press release is correct; unfortunate though it may be, 16:9 is the order of the day now...

There's obviously some confusion about that, I've noted it in several PC monitor forums. I'd assume the press release is correct; unfortunate though it may be, 16:9 is the order of the day now...

Yes, I would also assume that the pressrelease is correct. Still intresting that Samsung somewhere on the way changed their mind. A year ago or so Samsung reported that the 24 would be 1920x1200 so somewhere on this journey they changed their mind and decided to go 1920x1080 instead.

I still believe it was a good decision based on bussiness though. 1920x1080 is cheaper to produce and 1920x1080 IPS panels are 23" which gives this new product an advantage.

Also intresting that Samsung will produce 21,5, 24 and 27 inch MVA panels with good stands as well (all 1920x1080).

All in all I think these new products from Samsung sounds promising and together with the new 3D-line it might take Samsung back to a pole position on the monitor market again. Recent years they really have been out in the dark.

july ?
yes for 27" version but when july ? it is formed by 31 days, and in july there is the lauching but when will be in the shops ? july can means 31 july, then August is close, then september ?

and 24" version ?
Samsung is too slow

August 2011

I'm not as informed about this as you guys, but can someone give me their opinion on whether PLS is really that much better than IPS and in what ways.

Also, will this monitor be much better than the Dell 2711? Aside from the difference in LCD tech, the only other difference i see is the LCD lighting. Still not sure if its superior to CCFL for desktop monitors. It'll be thinner sure, but that's not really a concern. And honestly, I think $900 for a 2560x1440 especially one with a brand new technology is not much at all. I'm glad to see 1440p is finally starting to get adopted. And if its cheaper to produce than E-IPS (or did I get that wrong?), it might finally be able to replace TN.

I'm not as informed about this as you guys, but can someone give me their opinion on whether PLS is really that much better than IPS and in what ways.

PLS panels haven't been released yet so it is impossible to know. The only current review is for a pre-release model. Wait a couple months and there will surely be reviews galore to see whether the tech is solid or not.

Also, will this monitor be much better than the Dell 2711? Aside from the difference in LCD tech, the only other difference i see is the LCD lighting. Still not sure if its superior to CCFL for desktop monitors. It'll be thinner sure, but that's not really a concern. And honestly, I think $900 for a 2560x1440 especially one with a brand new technology is not much at all. I'm glad to see 1440p is finally starting to get adopted. And if its cheaper to produce than E-IPS (or did I get that wrong?), it might finally be able to replace TN.

This is a *PS monitor. The review has not revealed any principle differencies. We can assume that it's the same technology made by a different company.
You don't have to wait for this monitor to see that current LED BL is actually inferior to CCFL.
We can use *PS as we use *VA.

Also, will this monitor be much better than the Dell 2711?
Is Apple 27" better than Dell?
The difference will be in AG coating which is not a part of LCD technology.
I assume the manufacturer is experiencing severe shortage of quality panels.
Just my guess.

We just don't know yet. You're going to have to wait for these units to get into the hands of real reviewers (like tftcentral) to see how they perform.

I am hoping for fairly similiar to e-IPS with nice mild anti-glare coating. Which is pretty much what the first professional review seemed to indicate. The screen uniformity and lack of contrast in that review were troubling though.

Better coating, better response times. I’d pay extra for that.

well well better coating is ok but there's any opinions or review, u cant know if it have some issues :eek:
5ms ? this number means nothing ! 5 ms can be better than all TN or worst than a MVA, nedd a review whit benchmark.

Ugh...I guess it was too much to hope for that it'd be cheaper, but I expect to read some glowing reviews before spending that amount of money....

Glowing reviews are garbage.

This review says the only problem is quality.
AG coating is OK.

quality ? the only review is only a preview of a 27" sample.
The 24" model ufficially review not exist, the only defect of quality can be a low contrast ratio like IPS panel but i think better than TN

This "preview" is a father of all reviews. Just for you to know.

:DWhat is contrast?

Back