Samsung S27A950D 120Hz

Just got mine in today. The 3d and color is really impressive, the backlight bleed and "lcd pinch" however is not. I dont mind the little glow on the sides, but the pinch is really offensive over the touch buttons. Anyone elses like this? Any chance of getting one not like this if I exchange?

_DSC3900.jpg

_DSC3899-2.jpg

Mine has that same exact hotspot / pinch in the same exact location. I dont notice it unless I'm staring at a black background like that so its not the end of the world for me.

FinalJenemba, my monitor had the same issue. It started getting brighter and brighter after a few weeks of use and started showing through all colors and distorting them.

I bought mine from Amazon, but they don't expect another shipment for up to eight weeks so they did a full refund for me.

I may have been able to get used to it the way it was in the beginning, but it getting brighter over time set off red flags.

Now I'm back on my old Dell 2407wfp until they're back in stock. Good luck if you decide to do an exchange.

FWIW, mine has remained the same brightness and when gaming I do not notice it. This monitor is so big you usually dont look in the lower right corner of the screen.

At the windows desktop my taskbar hides it (and I use a black background).

damn, I got mine from amazon too lol. So it looks like its either a refund of keep it. I'm seriously considering getting a 27" Cinema Display. The 3d is nice and all but its not something I'm gonna use all that often.

It's sad that Amazon doesn't have them in stock, but if it bothers you and if it has the potential to get worse, I would get the refund. Wait for them to get back in stock or buy elsewehere. I know it's TN panel tech, but for the kind of money this monitor costs it should not have this issue.

Sorry if I'm sounding like an ad for them, but Amazon has treated my really well with my LCD problems. They even paid for shipping and had UPS pick-up the monitor form my house. Only place I trust at the moment when buying an LCD. Any slight defect and they will replace it.

Yep that's why I always order from them. But it looks like this is more of a design flaw than a defect, as I have yet to read about one owner with one that didn't have it. All the review units seemed to have it. So it looks like I either need to be ok with the screen pinch or try a different panel.

Thanks

Anyone know if the S23A750D suffers from the same screen pinch?
I hadnt seen any indications of it but it would definitely be a dealbreaker for me ;;

I got my 27a750d from tiger direct 3 weeks ago, and it had no bleed. I watched some letter boxed movies, and cut scenes, and its black as black.

I got my 27a750d from tiger direct 3 weeks ago, and it had no bleed. I watched some letter boxed movies, and cut scenes, and its black as black.

That makes sense actually. If you look at where the pinch is occurring on the 950's, its right where the panel mounts to the base. I imagine Samsung had to bolt down the monitor really hard to keep it stable, which probably causes everything to warp.

Im about done with samsung, it seems like time and time again they have a really good idea and bungle the execution. There was absolutely no need to have the mount like that, its impractical, and doesn't even look all that good.

So great panel, ruined by a bad design imo.

Got my S27A950D. Absolutely love it. It has a bit of the pinch in the lower right but I only notice if I go looking for it. Other then that it's awesome.

FinalJenemba, I think you're right about the bolt issue. My friend just got his, looks like Amazon has them back in stock. It has the same issue, but even worse than mine. It shows through his window's taskbar. Sad thing is everything else about the screen was great. No noticeable backlight bleeding on all corners.

My glasses are too thick for 3D glasses anywho, so I'm trying out the Asus PA246Q. Should be arriving today. I know it's an IPS, but hopefully it will serve me well until some better 120hz LCD monitors come out. Then I'll just move it to my work computer.

I have a driver update for everyone. I have not done a hole lost of testing yet so i cannot say how stable these drivers are but the AMD Catalyst 11.10 pre release drivers that were created for rage and battlefield 3 are finally recognizing the monitor as a HD3D monitor over display port in vista. Happy days :). 120hz 3d frame sequential support should get a whole lot easy now.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU122AMDCat1110PreDriverV2.aspx

Also out of curiosity why does every one call the corner back light bleed pinch. Off the top of my head it sounds to me like a term that would describe pixels being compressed on a crt do to bad electromagnetic fields and should never apply to a lcd?

Because were talking about the bottom right corner of the screen that connects the screen to the base where they obviously have bolts compressing the corner of the panel thus pinching it and creating more bleed than anywhere else on the panel.

somewhere in my research, i saw someone post that they had a problem with getting 120hz. I am now in the same boat. I am using a dvi-d (like the one that came with the monitor) but will reset it. I am also running 3-6950's in tri-crossfire. I have the latest gpu drivers frm the bf3 beta list. what am i missing? i can kinda work on 3d later, but 700 monitior that i cant get to 120.. hmm... thanks in advance!

Some GPUs only support duel DVI on one port so if there a color difference on the ports try a different port. You will probably also need to connect each monitor to one of your 3 cards.

3D going to be tricky to get running with that much horse power. HD3D support may be the only way to get there but I am not sure there is an official working crossfire mode for any of the 3D solutions at this time so you may need to pressure ATI to add support to the driver’s faster if its not already there. Since I got my monitor recognizing HD3D on DP I go back and try to see if I can get it to recognize HD3D using duel DVI but I doubtful on that one since 3d not part of the DVI speck.

Last edited:
thanks for the input! still fiddling with it. it still is a hot looking monitor! Just need to hook up ps3 to it and find something 3d to see if i can get that to work!

thanks for the help though!!

I never in a million year thought it would work but the monitor can detect 3d mode using HD3D at 120hz off the DVI cable.

Just like with the DP cable it enters 3d mode at the request of the computer. I will have to see if it any more reliable in this regard with DVI vs DP. I only had the DP method working for one boot session (several days. ) But it eventually stopped auto detecting 3D mode automatically when I had the monitor hooked up with DP.

Also since you got a couple of the monitors there and there probably a newer build than mine I love to find out if you have any issues with the left or right eye ghosting more than the other in 3d. I am just trying to figure out if it a systemic problem/manufacturer error with the early monitors. I figure it’s got to be fixable in the service menus but I have no idea how to get into those still. Also check to see if the monitor has a funky negative ghosting effect when set to Faster or Fastest(this can only be set in 2d mode). The early monitors also tend to get confused in 3d mode unless you set the response timing to normal.

Last edited:
SA750 / 950 owners that have some seat time with the 27" ACD, would you mind posting your impressions now that you've had ample time with the SA?

I'm curious because they are both glossy, and both have a rep for vibrant colors. Only one is 6 bit TN, the other 8 bit IPS.

Comments on dark scenes are highly welcome. I hate night vision scenario maps on my present 3+ year old TN, they almost glow or reverse ghost or something. Looks like crap to be honest, kinda like banding or dithering around light sources and the moon.

Are dark scenes just not done well by lcds, or do I just need to chose the right panel?

6 bit vs 8 bit makes zero difference in image quality with 99% of modern monitors.

The difference between TN and IPS is the top to bottom gamma shift, viewing angles and response times. The top part of TN screens is dark and the colors even out towards the bottom middle then wash out. This is really only noticeable with full screen greys and some light colors but not in most games+movies unless you are on witch hunt for it.

That said the ACD will look a bit better than the Samsung displays, but the Samsung's will be much clearer during motion and show no ghosting

Thank you, NCX. This display forum in particular really shows what a good user base Ocp has. Looking for a good display without being able to see one locally is a bitch. It's great to have this community around.

There is color
acd-color.png

There is shift/shading on TN, , worse the larger (27").

There is ppi (much worse the larger 27" at 1080p).

And there is blur...

lcd-blur.jpg

Blur relates to the response times (overall real world, not quotes) and how fast you are moving your FoV at any given time.
It may also correspond to your fps, considering at 60fps or less (very likely on modern demanding games) - a 120hz monitor has 8.3ms*2 or more of screen updates before the frame content changes, so 16.6ms or more before the pixels have to change. That is, it might blur more normally when maintaining 120fps+, and less twd 60fps or less. I haven't found any information about that mentioned anywhere though. I'm very curious about it.

There are some other considerations comparing monitors - like screen coatings, scalers(add input lag), input types, and price.
Dark scenes ~ detail in blacks/black levels are best on VA lcds (and glossy ones at that imo), but they typically have bad input lag and are better suited to TV's imo. The only other panels that have very good blacklevels/detail-in-blacks are plasma and crt. So I would write that off personally for gaming on LCD. If you need to watch HD video at your desk I would prob look for a refurb/floor model small (32") va tv.
As a disclaimer, I don't have a 120hz samsung. I was considering getting one for testing purposes (S23A750D) but then someone hit and run me in a parking lot this week while I was away so I'm out my deductible this month and don't feel like dropping another chunk of cash atm :mad: .. Eventually I might order one to store at bb to test with. They gave me a platinum rewards upgrade for free so I get 30 days return policy now. At $450 + $36 tax its not exactly a good deal for a 23" TN. Online/amazon is $400 + perhaps shipping, but I'd rather not deal with returning there if/when I decide to. For me personally I would rule out the 27" entirely due to the ppi, worsened color shift/shadowing, and what I consider a crazy price for a tn panel (last I looked.. $765.83 shipped from provantage, 799.99 at td and egg).
.. I've had several TN monitors over the years, and I currently own a fw900 crt and a 27" ACD,so I'd like to test out the S23A750D to compare someday.
In the end there are always tradeoffs as they say. If I can afford it I try to keep a few different monitors so I split the tradeoffs between them more or less. That is usually prioritized vs cpu+mobo+ram and gpu upgrade timeframes though.

Last edited:
The cable it came with is dual-link DVI, so it can deliver 120hz at 1080p, so you don't need a Display Port cable -- unless of course your video card does not support dual link DVI. In which case get a Display Port cable from monoprice.com

I have terrible cross talk with games. Anyone know a fix to this?

For 3d set the monitor response time to normal, for 2d set it for fastest. This will eleminate most of your 3d crosstalk headache!

Hey guys, I just noticed on my monitor that I see a black haze in my images that seems to move upwards. IT covers the whole screen. I would say it is almost like many horizontal black lines that move upwards on the screen. It is not easily seen, but once you notice it is there.

It is most easily seen in greys, like you should see it in the grey on this forum. I really don't see it in whites, which is wierd. I do see it in the windows 7 blue background.

If any of you can look very closely at the grey or blue and let me know if you see movement in those colrs, almost like interference or something.

I changed my video card to my onboard motherboard dvi video card and still see this black moving in the background.

What could this be? Is my monitor defective?

Anybody here experienced a noisy S27A750D? It makes a pretty audiable buzz sound as soon as I change the brightness from the default 100% to 99 or lower. Only at 100% brightness the monitor is silent.

Anybody here experienced a noisy S27A750D? It makes a pretty audiable buzz sound as soon as I change the brightness from the default 100% to 99 or lower. Only at 100% brightness the monitor is silent.

I would try another cable perhaps? If that doesn't work call Samsung and RMA it

My Samsung 240HD did this for a few months and then went away.

So with 6970 CF what do I need to do 120hz 2d gaming with the S27A750D, displayport?

Display port is not needed for 120hz. dvi cable will work as long as you have 5XXX series and up video card

Back