Samsung S27A950D 120Hz

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
This monitor model in particular is about to be released and I believe it is special enough to deserve its own thread.

samsung_3d_2011.jpg

Highlights:

27" 1920x1080 Resolution
2ms response time (TN)
True 120Hz via Display-port or DVI-D
Semi-gloss or "Ultra-Clear" panel
LED back lit (edge lit)
Motion sense standby mode
Automatic brightness control sensor
A beautiful design worthy of any desk

thumb640x320_Samsung_SA950_Button.jpg

Expected US retail around $700-$800 with a launch in June 2011. If Samsung manages to keep the input lag to a minimum, I believe they may hit one out of the ballpark with this LCD.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/.../XS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=feature

samsung9series2011-1l.jpg

There are 2 other threads devoted to the S/T Samsung 3D series

The series varies widely, hence at the top it says this particular model only. I could care less about 23" "TV" versions of the series. This model is the one to have.

This monitor is just awesome!!! The specs and features are over the top. It still has great viewing angles even if it's TN. The only downside is the price. At $700, it is quite expensive.

Form over function. Tilt? Rotate? up down? Has none of that. But I could see this on a desk of a receptionist.

19x10 27" is too big. I returned my 26" NEC cuz pixels were too big Even 24" 19x12 pixels are a little big. I prefer 23" at that res.

Looks retarded- like missing a leg, unbalanced. Why didn't they put stand in middle?

BTW I've been to Korea back when I used to game competitively and that has to be cheapest model they could find cuz Koreans girls are hotter than that on average. Poor choice by Samsung.

Last edited:
I think I have a mild case of OCD, but asymmetrical stands really bother me for some reason.

This monitor is just awesome!!! The specs and features are over the top. It still has great viewing angles even if it's TN. The only downside is the price. At $700, it is quite expensive.

$700 is nothing for a monitor which you keep years and look at everyday. I always lol @ people with $500 video cards, $200 mobos, which are fleeting strapped to $159 shell shocker monitors. I'd rather have a $400 computer and a $1000 monitor than other way around.

no vesa? that would suck. People with multiple monitor setups often want to mount on ergo arms or triple lcd mounts.

So where do you plug it in?

Not generally a fan of this look. That's not the sort of design that improves the user's experience.

$700 is nothing for a monitor which you keep years and look at everyday. I always lol @ people with $500 video cards, $200 mobos, which are fleeting strapped to $159 shell shocker monitors. I'd rather have a $400 computer and a $1000 monitor than other way around.

I totally agree with this. Monitor is the most important part of the system in my opinion. You sit there and look at it the whole time you are using the PC, so why cheap out? Monitors are long term investments anyway, like you mentioned.

I laugh as well at the people that spend $600 on a videocard every time that the newest one comes out, and have a $250 Acer monitor.

My system I built back in 2007 (Core 2 Duo E6400, P5B Deluxe) and I'm still using that system (now 9800gtx GPU, still outdated). But my monitors have always been nice! I used to have one LG L246WP-BN 24" MVA monitor and two NEC 20WMGX2 IPS monitors which I sold off for financial reasons and used an old BenQ 19" LCD for awhile.
Then I found a sick deal on more 20WMGX2s ($140each) and got three of them. But two had bad backlight bleeding and one had a stuck pixel, so RMA'ed them. NEC took them back no questions asked and upgraded me to the 2090UXi's which are even nicer and are $700+ new!

too bad it's TN and such low rez for a 27" =( would have been nice to be at least 2560x1440 or something @ that size.

It's not so much that $700 is too much to spend on a monitor, it's too much to spend on a monitor with a TN panel and a lack of adjustment options.

Form over function is not the way to go.

Blech! designed for style instead of function.

Glossy bezel. Nothing but an annoyance in usage.
Stand with no height or rotation adjustments.

In short, this is a monitor designed to be seen, instead of used. The exact opposite of what I want in a monitor.

It sure does look quite good, not to mention the specs looks great so far. I just hope the reality is the same. If so, I know what monitor I will get next.

My new computer build is waiting for the release of this monitor.

Surprised nobody mentioned that it will not support Nvidia 3dvision, nobody knows if they will be able to get it to work, even though it is not a supported monitor.

too bad it's TN and such low rez for a 27" =( would have been nice to be at least 2560x1440 or something @ that size.

The whole point of the monitor is true 120hz. 120Hz precludes anything beyond TN and 1920x1080 resolution. I've used the Acer 27" 120Hz and found it much easier on the eyes versus 23-24" 1920x1080.

I will put up a proper review of this monitor as soon as I aquire one. The monitor DOES tilt. It has a hinge at the bottom connection to the base to allow a certain range of motion.

The whole point of the monitor is true 120hz. 120Hz precludes anything beyond TN and 1920x1080 resolution. I've used the Acer 27" 120Hz and found it much easier on the eyes versus 23-24" 1920x1080.

I will put up a proper review of this monitor as soon as I aquire one. The monitor DOES tilt. It has a hinge at the bottom connection to the base to allow a certain range of motion.

really? so this is the first "true 120hz" 27" monitor? I thought the whole point of this monitor is that it looks pretty damn snazzy and not the 120hz part.

March release date, then May, then June. This is stupid.

Also there are 2 other multi page threads.

Getting it shipped from Korea via USPS (from a old buyer on another forum).. Total cost is $713 w/ insured 5 day shipping.

I totally agree with this. Monitor is the most important part of the system in my opinion. You sit there and look at it the whole time you are using the PC, so why cheap out? Monitors are long term investments anyway, like you mentioned.

I laugh as well at the people that spend $600 on a videocard every time that the newest one comes out, and have a $250 Acer monitor.

My system I built back in 2007 (Core 2 Duo E6400, P5B Deluxe) and I'm still using that system (now 9800gtx GPU, still outdated). But my monitors have always been nice! I used to have one LG L246WP-BN 24" MVA monitor and two NEC 20WMGX2 IPS monitors which I sold off for financial reasons and used an old BenQ 19" LCD for awhile.
Then I found a sick deal on more 20WMGX2s ($140each) and got three of them. But two had bad backlight bleeding and one had a stuck pixel, so RMA'ed them. NEC took them back no questions asked and upgraded me to the 2090UXi's which are even nicer and are $700+ new!

Everything I've heard about their CS is top notch. Lucky I never had to use it to. Warranty and support is another good reason to stick with NEC.

I wouldnt call 2090uxis better just different. One is a highly over-driven glossy gaming IPS one is for RGB color work. Our office at our shop is littered with 2090uxi about 10. I told my dad to buy them and I have two on my desk.:) We have an auto body shop with lots of dust and VOCs and no problem yet still going strong about 3 years now. Oh yea and they are all hooked to about $400 AMD on board DVI computers I built:)

really? so this is the first "true 120hz" 27" monitor? I thought the whole point of this monitor is that it looks pretty damn snazzy and not the 120hz part.

Where did I say it is the first true 120Hz 27"? I've already stated that I have used the 27" 120Hz Acer. The point of this monitor is that it has true 120Hz and the combination of all the features listed in the original post which no other monitor has. It just also happens to look good.

Where did I say it is the first true 120Hz 27"? I've already stated that I have used the 27" 120Hz Acer. The point of this monitor is that it has true 120Hz and the combination of all the features listed in the original post which no other monitor has. It just also happens to look good.

well, you obviously missed my point, maybe to you the point is 120hz, to me it's the aesthetics.

Since when does everything have to be mutually exclusive? It is the combination of features that makes this monitor unique. I have no idea what you keep going on about as it obviously has many features beyond simply aesthetics that make it interesting to potential buyers.

Since when does everything have to be mutually exclusive? It is the combination of features that makes this monitor unique. I have no idea what you keep going on about as it obviously has many features beyond simply aesthetics that make it interesting to potential buyers.

are you kidding me? NOTHING about this monitor is special other then the fact that it looks unique, there are other 27" 120hz monitors available for less, why would I pay double for a sub-standard display, that gives me nothing functionally that I want? the only thing that even makes it worth mentioning is the obvious difference in look. nothing has to be mutually exclusive, but you make it seem like this monitor is actually "good" at something that other monitors are not good at.

lets count up the features

120hz? check, other monitors have that
120hz + 27? check other monitors have that
it turns off when i walk away? great more things to malfunction, I'd rather turn it off when I want it to be off.
ambient light sensor? check, the pos dell g2410 has that.

doesn't seem special out side of it's looks to me, unless I missed something, apart from the cool looks, this thing is useless to me. unless you know better about what is useful to me and what is not =)

2d - 3d conversion on the fly? We don't know how good it is but... can only hope :)

Also the Samsung viewing angle magic panel or whatever they wanna call it lol. I own 2 PX2370's with this and I forget they are TN panels most days.

Also this monitor has super small and thin bezels!

ooooo and almost forgot... I don't need to own a Nvidia card for 3d anymore with these! Can use my AMD card! Samsungs glasses dont make everything dark like nvidias 3d glasses do.

Also the Samsung viewing angle magic panel or whatever they wanna call it lol. I own 2 PX2370's with this and I forget they are TN panels most days.

Doesn't changing the setting from -ooh i'm on the left side of the room now- to -forget it, i'm going to sit down again- to -i'm on the floor now- remind you that you are indeed using a TN panel?

are you kidding me? NOTHING about this monitor is special other then the fact that it looks unique, there are other 27" 120hz monitors available for less, why would I pay double for a sub-standard display, that gives me nothing functionally that I want? the only thing that even makes it worth mentioning is the obvious difference in look. nothing has to be mutually exclusive, but you make it seem like this monitor is actually "good" at something that other monitors are not good at.

it turns off when i walk away? great more things to malfunction, I'd rather turn it off when I want it to be off.

doesn't seem special out side of it's looks to me, unless I missed something, apart from the cool looks, this thing is useless to me. unless you know better about what is useful to me and what is not =)

Sure is someone who hasn't done their research

It's a unique design, sure but that isn't it.

It's going to be hard to find a quality monitor with 2 HDMI in AND 3D AND 120hz AND Component input AND toslink connections all in a 27 inch display.

Stop trying to put down a quality product.

Sure is someone who hasn't done their research

It's a unique design, sure but that isn't it.

It's going to be hard to find a quality monitor with 2 HDMI in AND 3D AND 120hz AND Component input AND toslink connections all in a 27 inch display.

Stop trying to put down a quality product.

1: it doesn't have component input.

Signal Input Video Signal DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D (Dual Link)
Sync. Signal Separate
Connector DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D (Dual Link)

2: toslink is an output for people who don't have 120hz capable receivers, oh wait, you have a receiver on your PC, and it's only stereo, so if you use DP and your vc doesn't support audio over DP, then it's useless, if you use HDMI then you still need a receiver.

3:120hz is only useful in 2D mode, since it's "2d->3d engine" will most likely ignore the 120hz input, and add considerable input lag. so no 3D AND 120hz, it's 3d OR 120hz.

4: it's a TN panel

so far it sounds like marketing gimmicks, I still think it looks cool though :)

and to finish it off, before telling me to do my research, why not list some actual VALID points to what make this a good monitor?

by the way, for people who are looking for this thing.

http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=32990

You must be a little slow, so I will break it down for you. How many other monitors on the market are 27" and 120Hz? A whole one other! Your calling of it as a "sub-standard" display is meaningless. Since 120Hz is currently not available using IPS, it is in a separate category depending on what features you prioritize first. I personally prioritize speed for gaming over colors.

I could just as easily say any IPS monitor is "sub-standard" because they are so slow. That statement is just as meaningless as yours. Nothing functionally that you want? I must have forgot to title this thread "the Digital Viper tailored monitor buying thread"! :rolleyes:

This monitor is using Samsung's own TN panel with a "semi-gloss" screen instead of the default matte panels produced by LG and used in virtually everything else. So; 27", 120Hz, semi-gloss panel and an attractive design that goes beyond sticking an LCD panel in a black rectangle. No other monitor comes close to this feature combination.

I have always found it hilarious for people to troll and waste their time on topics of items that aren't what they like or are looking for. So we get it, you don't want this monitor. No one cares.

You must be a little slow, so I will break it down for you. How many other monitors on the market are 27" and 120Hz? A whole one other! Your calling of it as a "sub-standard" display is meaningless. Since 120Hz is currently not available using IPS, it is in a separate category depending on what features you prioritize first. I personally prioritize speed for gaming over colors.

I could just as easily say any IPS monitor is "sub-standard" because they are so slow. That statement is just as meaningless as yours. Nothing functionally that you want? I must have forgot to title this thread "the Digital Viper tailored monitor buying thread"! :rolleyes:

This monitor is using Samsung's own TN panel with a "semi-gloss" screen instead of the default matte panels produced by LG and used in virtually everything else. So; 27", 120Hz, semi-gloss panel and an attractive design that goes beyond sticking an LCD panel in a black rectangle. No other monitor comes close to this feature combination.

I have always found it hilarious for people to troll and waste their time on topics of items that aren't what they like or are looking for. So we get it, you don't want this monitor. No one cares.

could be 500hz, still a pos tn panel! gf

btw it was your own ego that pushed the argument this far, I am allowed to have my opinion, and i stated it, if you can't handle that I suggest you get off the internet.
Many people won't use TN panels, I like the design, hate the tech, simple as that, get over it. that's all I said. so quit your crying about it.

that is the bloody truth :D

This sounds like it will be a nice monitor, I might check it out once it is released. So far my new Viewsonic 2753 is pretty awesome so I am happy for now, but am always looking for the latest and best. I can not believe it is taking so long for the trickle down tech of LCD big screens to be passed down to computer monitors. It seems like the computer monitors are about a generation behind from the the large screen LCD LED tech.

This monitor converts 2D sources to 3D on the fly.

Looks smart, but its going to be a bitch for multiple monitor setups with that stand. Where the VESA compatibility?

Looks smart, but its going to be a bitch for multiple monitor setups with that stand. Where the VESA compatibility?

Why have VESA compatibility when you can have a monitor thinner than your finger! :rolleyes:

Why have VESA compatibility when you can have a monitor thinner than your finger! :rolleyes:

Like I said form over function. This monitor may get the chicks who come visit the office but won't be anything to look at and use.

And did anyone notice it only has a 1 yr warranty? For $700 that's ridiculous. I can understand that coming from a $159 Shell Shocker @ newegg but for $700? I don't think so.

Seems just like another cheap TN wrapped in supposedly sheik industrial design :eek:

Back