RoboCop: Rogue City

I kind of wish they didn't do the infinite ammo with the pistol thing or at least on higher difficulties they should make it limited some how.
It's an optional upgrade, by default the magazine changes are mandatory.

it looks like something from like 2008 to me.
Go and play something actually from 2008 like STALKER: Clear Sky, it will not look nearly as good as this or anything released in the last decade.

The 2nd Robocop movie is generally regarded negatively by fans of the first film. I think the movie gets a lot more criticism than it deserves. I think the biggest thing that works against it is the heavy handed anti-drug messaging in the film which was par for the course in the 1990's. I don't hate the film by any means but I think it falls well short of the first movie by focusing more on the anti-drug messaging and almost entirely dropping many of the themes that made the first one so amazing.
Robocop 2, while recognized as not being as good as the first, was still enjoyed by fans. To me the distinction I noticed is that Robocop 1 is heralded by film critics, meanwhile film critics have disdain for the 2nd movie. Having said that, I consider film critics & Robocop fans to be mutually exclusive categories.

The only good example I have of this would be the RedLetterMedia discussion on the movie, which was actually favorable to the 2nd movie - and their community seems to share that consensus.

To me, I think the anti-drug messaging works perfectly for the 2nd movie. Drugs are bad and rampant abuse is reflective of a degenerating society. I'd venture to guess that people who aren't a fan of how the movie handles that topic are libertarian-types. This theme is also well-utilized in the Max Payne universe. The way that the illegal drug industry ties into a greater power structure, to me, is rich social commentary.

Robocop 2, while recognized as not being as good as the first, was still enjoyed by fans. To me the distinction I noticed is that Robocop 1 is heralded by film critics, meanwhile film critics have disdain for the 2nd movie. Having said that, I consider film critics & Robocop fans to be mutually exclusive categories.

The only good example I have of this would be the RedLetterMedia discussion on the movie, which was actually favorable to the 2nd movie - and their community seems to share that consensus.

To me, I think the anti-drug messaging works perfectly for the 2nd movie. Drugs are bad and rampant abuse is reflective of a degenerating society. I'd venture to guess that people who aren't a fan of how the movie handles that topic are libertarian-types. This theme is also well-utilized in the Max Payne universe. The way that the illegal drug industry ties into a greater power structure, to me, is rich social commentary.
The anti-drug messaging I think falls flat for several reasons even if you put aside the heavy handed, inaccurate and unhelpful parallels to real life 80s and 90s positions on such things. However, even in the context of the movie itself though it lacked the level of satire that the previous movie had. There were ways they could have risen to that level (and a very limited bright spark in the conversation between the kid and the mayor over letting the market decide - under his cartel, of course), but I didn't think it had anything really incisive to say and walked back some elements of the former. Much of the commentary of the drug "industry" (in this case only limited to a stereotypical gang, pushing a harmful product) interacting with the larger power structure was again a shallow "gang lords giving briefcases of money to weakwilled public servants", with the solution being heavy and violent crackdown on dealers, users, and everyone else who gets in the way; more cartoonish than anything else.

Putting aside all that you could look at it as a Robocop action flick and there were parts that were okay here, though debatedly issues of Murphey's humanity that were central and at least kinda-sorta solved in the first movie seem to have been if not entirely ignored but less developed in the second. It wasn't horrible, but there were ways they could have kept the general themes but give the satire something more dynamic and subversive to say, especailly at the time.

As far as the game, I'm glad that the developers seem to be putting a lot of care into the lore and environment of the title. I'm curious if the amount of side quests you do, the investigation bits etc...will makemajor changes into both Murphy's decisions and options later in the game. I am guessing if this is done well, it will be the difference between a by-the-book-just-as-ordered playthrough vs a more free-thinking one taking the evidence and a more human assessment of what ends up going on if you take the time to investigate.

I couldn't resist and picked up the game. It seems to be pretty fun, although I dislike not being able to see my body when I look down and it crashes A LOT. Performance is also not very good, my frame rate constantly oscillates between 20 and 120fps. I had to take a break because it was making me nauseous.

I couldn't resist and picked up the game. It seems to be pretty fun, although I dislike not being able to see my body when I look down and it crashes A LOT. Performance is also not very good, my frame rate constantly oscillates between 20 and 120fps. I had to take a break because it was making me nauseous.
Sounds like you might be running out of VRAM.
I had to tone things down a bit to get it to fit under 8GB VRAM, and 12-16 is definitely mandatory for 2K+ with high settings.

One thing I did notice is that as you progress throughout the levels, a lot of VRAM assets tend to not clear themselves and will eventually fill up the VRAM causing massive stutters.
Close the game and re-open it and everything will be cleared, and boom, same settings yet 60+ fps again.

It definitely needs a bit of optimizing, but for the gameplay and story alone I can look past smaller bugs like that, especially for such a faithful adaptation.

Sounds like you might be running out of VRAM.
I had to tone things down a bit to get it to fit under 8GB VRAM, and 12-16 is definitely mandatory for 2K+ with high settings.

One thing I did notice is that as you progress throughout the levels, a lot of VRAM assets tend to not clear themselves and will eventually fill up the VRAM causing massive stutters.
Close the game and re-open it and everything will be cleared, and boom, same settings yet 60+ fps again.

It definitely needs a bit of optimizing, but for the gameplay and story alone I can look past smaller bugs like that, especially for such a faithful adaptation.

I certainly hope not, I have a 4090. I don't know where I could go up from there.

Heres a chart from presentmon, you can see the actual fps vs 99% fps, I can feel the stutters as it does this.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 182404.png

I certainly hope not, I have a 4090. I don't know where I could go up from there.
Keep an eye on your VRAM when it stutters.
I get you've got 24GB to play with, but there might still be a bit of optimization that needs to happen on the user's end to make it a smooth experience, much like almost any game.

Keep an eye on your VRAM when it stutters.
I get you've got 24GB to play with, but there might still be a bit of optimization that needs to happen on the user's end to make it a smooth experience, much like almost any game.

I think I found the cause, I was reading other peoples issues and I switched from DLSS quality to XESS quality and its much, much smoother.

The only uses 6.9G of GPU memory. Interesting...
At 2560x1440 on high settings I could get it to eat through nearly all 8GB, and at 4K it wasn't possible with such a low VRAM amount.
Would have been nice to have a GPU with 12/16GB+ VRAM to max everything out.

It's not a fault of the game, it's a fault of NVIDIA creaming their crop of 30 series GPUs with far too little VRAM, otherwise they all would be able to handle it with ease.

Got it last night. With my 1080ti I had to go down to 1080p high (shadows medium) to get 60fps. 1440p in high 30's..... BUT the game isn't fast paced, he is a walking tank after all... it's probably mostly the same at 30. And the graphic detail between 1440 and 1080 was barely noticeable, it's not super high rez texture kind of game.

Gameplay is.... alright. When you zoom in it gives you the appearance of auto targeting but it's just for show. Still pretty easy to pop melons with a controller. You can pick up enemy guns like an uzi or an AK but I prefer the auto pistol, except when you run into guys wearing armor, then the AK helps. Sad to say this, but Peter Weller kinda phoned this one in... I know it's him but he doesn't sound like I remember Robocop, his voice is not very authoritative. Also the need to go into every room to look for evidence and OCP batteries slows the pace down and takes some of the fun out of it, and he moves so damn slow.

I got it for $30 (cdkeys) and so far I feel like this should have been a $20-25 game. No way is it worth the full $50 price.

I'll keep at it though, maybe it improves in later levels. 3.5 stars out of 5.

The anti-drug messaging I think falls flat for several reasons even if you put aside the heavy handed, inaccurate and unhelpful parallels to real life 80s and 90s positions on such things. However, even in the context of the movie itself though it lacked the level of satire that the previous movie had. There were ways they could have risen to that level (and a very limited bright spark in the conversation between the kid and the mayor over letting the market decide - under his cartel, of course), but I didn't think it had anything really incisive to say and walked back some elements of the former. Much of the commentary of the drug "industry" (in this case only limited to a stereotypical gang, pushing a harmful product) interacting with the larger power structure was again a shallow "gang lords giving briefcases of money to weakwilled public servants", with the solution being heavy and violent crackdown on dealers, users, and everyone else who gets in the way; more cartoonish than anything else.

Putting aside all that you could look at it as a Robocop action flick and there were parts that were okay here, though debatedly issues of Murphey's humanity that were central and at least kinda-sorta solved in the first movie seem to have been if not entirely ignored but less developed in the second. It wasn't horrible, but there were ways they could have kept the general themes but give the satire something more dynamic and subversive to say, especailly at the time.

As far as the game, I'm glad that the developers seem to be putting a lot of care into the lore and environment of the title. I'm curious if the amount of side quests you do, the investigation bits etc...will makemajor changes into both Murphy's decisions and options later in the game. I am guessing if this is done well, it will be the difference between a by-the-book-just-as-ordered playthrough vs a more free-thinking one taking the evidence and a more human assessment of what ends up going on if you take the time to investigate.
Frankly, it sounds like the satire went over your head. Robocop murdering random drug dealers and users was more or less attempting to make the same point you're attempting to make when you draw parallels to the 90's drug PSA's. To me it sounds like you're treating the film as if it wasn't self aware, in which case, it sounds to me you simply missed the point.

Obviously it's cartoonish - it's depicting the war on drugs as being cartoonish. Was the satire as good as the first film? No. The entire film was a step down. But it's still a good movie, and I'll keep pushing back on the idea it was hated by fans. I can't fault them for trying something different because it fits perfectly into the context of that universe.

That is not accurate as it is crashing for me with 24 GB vram. There is something to do with UE engine crash.

That is not accurate as it is crashing for me with 24 GB vram. There is something to do with UE engine crash.
Yeah there's no way the game is taking up that much vram unless it's bugged or something. Probably just have to deal with it until devs patch it.

Game keeps crashing man, so pissed off. It's actually an OK game but at this rate I will never finish this. Why can't people make proper games anymore.

Game keeps crashing man, so pissed off. It's actually an OK game but at this rate I will never finish this. Why can't people make proper games anymore.
Are you oc'd or undervolted? I'm not seeing many crash reports on other forums.

Frankly, it sounds like the satire went over your head. Robocop murdering random drug dealers and users was more or less attempting to make the same point you're attempting to make when you draw parallels to the 90's drug PSA's. To me it sounds like you're treating the film as if it wasn't self aware, in which case, it sounds to me you simply missed the point.

Obviously it's cartoonish - it's depicting the war on drugs as being cartoonish. Was the satire as good as the first film? No. The entire film was a step down. But it's still a good movie, and I'll keep pushing back on the idea it was hated by fans. I can't fault them for trying something different because it fits perfectly into the context of that universe.
The reason the first one was subversive and a satirical commentary was because it went against prevailing trends at the time, much like say..."They Live" (as an aside, its a crime that Roddy Piper didn't get more work and become a figure like The Rock would be years later. When the dude was allowed to act, he did a fantastic job and had exceptional timing and improv skills from what 've heard) Conversely, the view on drugs and drug dealers was exactly in line with what was the common presentation at the time when it came to the topic. It is only in retrospect that your assessment pans out I'd think, being able to look back and say "wow that was corny and cartoonish", but the problem is that at the time "corny and cartoonish" WAS the serious, played straight of depicting the dangers of drugs , who was pushing them, and the like. As Dan_D mentioned (I think), this was the era of DARE, "Winners don't use drugs" FBI logos on arcade games, and the cracked egg PSA (I'm covering a bit of the 90s here, but in the 80s things were even more severe) . Presenting drugs themselves as the kind of horribly addictive things that turn a law-abiding person into a degenerate addict overnight, addicts were mostly so because of moral failings of willpower to "just say no", their manufacture as something handled by a psychopathic cartel run by an even more psychopathic boss, and even the "shocker" of preteen delinquent being the mouth of the gang was very on brand for presenting the horrors of drugs, as was his death presented as a cautionary tale .

Much of the satire there was either rode the coattails of what which was established in the first movie (ie OCP being responsible for the police strike, exploiting the situation as things get worse in the city ) or in some cases rehashed it and not always for the best (the issue of Murphy's humanity in question again), but the drug war content lacked a lot of what could have had more to say that broke from the convention of the time. While some other parts of the movie worked, but I don't think the drug war messaging deviated much from what the commonplace media presented view was at the time to be satirical, and they could have done better in this regard.

The reason the first one was subversive and a satirical commentary was because it went against prevailing trends at the time, much like say..."They Live" (as an aside, its a crime that Roddy Piper didn't get more work and become a figure like The Rock would be years later. When the dude was allowed to act, he did a fantastic job and had exceptional timing and improv skills from what 've heard) Conversely, the view on drugs and drug dealers was exactly in line with what was the common presentation at the time when it came to the topic. It is only in retrospect that your assessment pans out I'd think, being able to look back and say "wow that was corny and cartoonish", but the problem is that at the time "corny and cartoonish" WAS the serious, played straight of depicting the dangers of drugs , who was pushing them, and the like. As Dan_D mentioned (I think), this was the era of DARE, "Winners don't use drugs" FBI logos on arcade games, and the cracked egg PSA (I'm covering a bit of the 90s here, but in the 80s things were even more severe) . Presenting drugs themselves as the kind of horribly addictive things that turn a law-abiding person into a degenerate addict overnight, addicts were mostly so because of moral failings of willpower to "just say no", their manufacture as something handled by a psychopathic cartel run by an even more psychopathic boss, and even the "shocker" of preteen delinquent being the mouth of the gang was very on brand for presenting the horrors of drugs, as was his death presented as a cautionary tale .

Much of the satire there was either rode the coattails of what which was established in the first movie (ie OCP being responsible for the police strike, exploiting the situation as things get worse in the city ) or in some cases rehashed it and not always for the best (the issue of Murphy's humanity in question again), but the drug war content lacked a lot of what could have had more to say that broke from the convention of the time. While some other parts of the movie worked, but I don't think the drug war messaging deviated much from what the commonplace media presented view was at the time to be satirical, and they could have done better in this regard.
The scenes in Robocop 2 revolving around Murphy's family and him basically stalking them is actually one of the film's high points narratively speaking. One of the main things working against the film that I don't think I mentioned before was the decision to put Kain in a cyborg body and make him into a cop. Kain's character being used in this way is retarded. While OCP definitely lays the blame for this one the psychologist, (it is her fault) even she should have known better. Making the new and improved Robocop a villain in the film simply comes across as contrived.

Everyone I know basically regards the second film as crap and only admit that its better than Robocop 3 and that's it. Comments like the "first one is the only one worth watching" are pretty common from anyone I've ever talked to about the film. I am surprised so many people here seem to have enjoyed the film at least to some degree.

Because there's too many cooks in the kitchen making games now. When you have over 20 programmers involved, there will always be bugs like this.

They just released a patch today that fixed a lot of the crashing bugs, so the devs are actively fixing and improving it even after launch, which is a great sign that the devs actually care.

I just installed it on my AM5 / 7600x / RX 6700 rig, we will see what it can do on the same display (TV)..and if any crashs, I never had any crashs on the AM4 / 5700x / A 770 system with this game and plays real nice.

The scenes in Robocop 2 revolving around Murphy's family and him basically stalking them is actually one of the film's high points narratively speaking. One of the main things working against the film that I don't think I mentioned before was the decision to put Kain in a cyborg body and make him into a cop. Kain's character being used in this way is retarded. While OCP definitely lays the blame for this one the psychologist, (it is her fault) even she should have known better. Making the new and improved Robocop a villain in the film simply comes across as contrived.

Everyone I know basically regards the second film as crap and only admit that its better than Robocop 3 and that's it. Comments like the "first one is the only one worth watching" are pretty common from anyone I've ever talked to about the film. I am surprised so many people here seem to have enjoyed the film at least to some degree.

“The villain is just another version of you” was such a massive cliche through the era. It almost never works because it comes off as lazy. It’s possible to make it work, but it’s mostly just a crutch.

A decent $20 game. That's my takeaway from this thread and beyond. True or false?

“The villain is just another version of you” was such a massive cliche through the era. It almost never works because it comes off as lazy. It’s possible to make it work, but it’s mostly just a crutch.
I don't think that's the case at all with Kain. He didn't go more insane from the conversion, but that's because he enjoyed the power. The project was to make him a cop but I don't think the character is similar at all.

I solved the stuttering by switching to fullscreen mode and instead of DLAA, using DLSS Quality. Strange but that fixed it basically.

The game uses tiny amounts of VRAM with everything set to Epic.

A decent $20 game. That's my takeaway from this thread and beyond. True or false?
I paid 20 and some change but don’t think it is worth it. Game has lots of nostalgia value and some decent graphics but after a while it is a complete chore to play.

Missions are uninspired, gunplay is borderline terrible as there is tons of weapon sway and too long reloading times. Most places look the same and are uninspired and bland. If you want one liners go watch the movies again. But this game just didn’t do it for me. It is at best mediocre and at its worst a chore to play. Robocop movement is also not smooth and overall feels sluggish even when he sprints. I get that they are trying to stay close to source material but overall Terminator Resistance was a better game from them which in itself was mediocre.

Some may like it but it is mostly a chore for me to play. I hoped it would’ve finished by now but I still got 20/31 missions to do and rinse repeat the same shit over and over.

I'm really enjoying it and haven't had any crashes or VRAM issues. I let it auto-configure the graphics and it set it for 4K and DLSS. However, I wish that they'd had the budget to make this a AAA game, as it really could have really been great!

I solved the stuttering by switching to fullscreen mode and instead of DLAA, using DLSS Quality. Strange but that fixed it basically.

The game uses tiny amounts of VRAM with everything set to Epic.
That's what I am using and it's very smooth too. So far having fun.. loads of tiny details all over the place.. it's fun to look at all the stuff between missions.

EDIT: one con I will say is you do not earn XP very fast so I can't open any of these safes (requires engineering level 6!) and I need vitality level 2 also so I can recharge from fuse boxes..

Last edited:
EDIT: one con I will say is you do not earn XP very fast so I can't open any of these safes (requires engineering level 6!) and I need vitality level 2 also so I can recharge from fuse boxes..
There are hidden notes in the areas, normally near the safes or around them, that you can scan and will give Murphy the code that will auto-open the safes.
By then end of the game I had maxed all but a few skills, and those that weren't maxed were nearly so.

Reading notes will give a big boost to XP, so finding those is handy for leveling.

There are hidden notes in the areas, normally near the safes or around them, that you can scan and will give Murphy the code that will auto-open the safes.
By then end of the game I had maxed all but a few skills, and those that weren't maxed were nearly so.

Reading notes will give a big boost to XP, so finding those is handy for leveling.
Yeah I did a bit of searching and find some of them .. you just have to check everything thoroughly. Thanks!

Back