RoboCop: Rogue City

I know it's a useless teaser trailer but I got a lame mobile game vibe from that.

The scripted sequences in this "gameplay" reveal look promising. They are also using Peter Weller's likeness 😁

It looks okay. The few bits of gameplay we see don't look that great (clunky shooting just dumping rounds into people) and the character animations look old and very stiff. Has about a year to go so maybe it will get better, but this is looking like a lower budget game that will be passable at best.

I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Doesn't that pretty much define Robocop though? Trying to change that was even part of the story in Robocop 2.
Not really, he didn't just go around shooting people. He only really shot people who were shooting at him. The second movie they were just trying to sabotage him so he couldn't really think or act appropriately in ay situation.

1657226721685.png

The only other RoboCop game was the Arcade sidescroller where he just repeated Drop It. We actually need a RoboCop.

Now that I've thought about it, I'm not buying it if the ninja cyborgs from Robocop 3 aren't in it.

The only other RoboCop game was the Arcade sidescroller where he just repeated Drop It. We actually need a RoboCop.

There are at least 8 other Robocop video games that have been made over the years.

Graphics looks much better than Terminator: Resistance, unexpected but welcome.

Graphics looks much better than Terminator: Resistance, unexpected but welcome.
Definitely. Though that game is odd with some aspects of it looking really good and a lot of things looking extremely dated. Almost like two very different groups of artists worked on it.

Definitely. Though that game is odd with some aspects of it looking really good and a lot of things looking extremely dated. Almost like two very different groups of artists worked on it.
Yeah characters looked pretty good, but the environment sometimes reminded me of future shock.

I want this to be good. Robocop is part of the Verhoven holy trinity and each disserves all the praise in the world... but this looks... well, difficult to be fun.

If they make it like a RPG/shooter like Deus Ex where you're solving crimes, exploring the environment, talking with people... It could be really good. But as a shoot-first action game this looks... unfortunate.

My post from the news section:

The game looks really outdated graphically. Would want to watch a much bigger breakdown to see if the gameplay is good. Based on what was shown, it's definitely not impressive.

Just some thoughts off the top:
Slow-mo is reminiscent of FEAR
Grabbing people reminds me of the original teaser for Crysis
Shown gunplay seems overly slow, and if that walking speed is representative of gameplay, it's going to be very tedious.
Quests also seem reminiscent of DX:HR and are very fetch-quest looking. But hey we've seen all of 3 minutes of gameplay footage so obviously it could be much deeper.
Graphics quality seems like a late 2000's or early 2010's game. Although because it doesn't have a distinct visual style (eg: DX:HR), seems boring.
All the 2D overlays that are supposed to represent Murphy's HUD/visor just look stapled on.
Not sure what's going on with Peter Weller's performance, but it feels like he's just phoning it in. He isn't using a deeper voice, and the vocoder/mechanical sound used in the film also isn't present in these demos - in a word he feels soft where in the original films he was hard/sharp and dispassionate. Hope I'm wrong on this as well.

I love RoboCop, but those are probably my harsh criticisms with what they've shown. A game like this needs to not be generic. It really should be capitalizing on the IP by being unique in comparison with other FPS games in terms of the world, art assets, and also what you do.
I hope it's not a cynical cash grab, but kinda seems like a cynical cash grab.

If they make his gun sound just like it does on the movie I'll get at least 30 minutes of entertainment out of it just running around shooting people even if the game itself is terrible.

If they make his gun sound just like it does on the movie I'll get at least 30 minutes of entertainment out of it just running around shooting people even if the game itself is terrible.
I’m worried you just described the entire game.

This game needs to be a fast paced, ultra violent (think Soldier of Fortune) shooter with very light RPG elements in the vein of system/hardware upgrades and a hub style level system.. I wouldn't mind some light detective work style sub levels as a way to unlock some later levels or areas inside current unlocked levels.

Back