Rift S

Got an oculus update last night (PTC) and all my issues are gone! Only thing left is the occasional static flash (barely troublesome), and I'll have ZERO issues.

Those guys in charge of patching are doing one hell of a job.

with the latest PTC, all my tracking issues have been resolved.

Biggest problem I face right now though is the right "grip" button being delayed on release. Makes it really hard to throw/drop things consistently...in pavlov and Contractors I've grenaded myself several times. Weird thing is, removing the magnetic battery cover seems to resolve the issue.

I've been told reinstalling oculus will fix the issue, but I'm avoiding that because I'm not sure if I'll have to redownload games as well, which would be a problem seeing my data cap is always looming over me.

Mine does that too, for the two minutes at a time it works. I've found that holding down the trigger/pointer finger when releasing something to throw it makes it work right. Pretty lame.
I am astounded by how bad this one works and how well the OG Rift works. I know it's been out awhile but damn.
The new controllers are wonky, they made them smaller and funky and the result is I have no place to rest my thumbs now, and my trigger/pointer finger has to lay on the trigger with just
the right pressure for it to register pointing/not and overall it just does not work with my average size man-hands. The OG rift controllers were worlds better to be so slightly different.
Super disappointing.

Tech support has been trying, I get a new email of suggestions about every 3 days. Tonight was kill VMware and uninstall MSI's MysticLight software and reseat the cable at the headset.
None of which made any difference at all. I suspect it's an issue with the B450 boards USB/drivers. I gotta run by best buy tomorrow and see if I can sweet talk them into taking it back
at 17 days past. I just don't have it in me to jerk around with this stuff at this point and time in my life.

Yeah no clue why they changed the controllers the originals were fine those new ones are way worse. Worse grip (for me anyway) and many accidental presses on the thumb button, I don't get, it why fix what wasn't broken?

It's a cool VR headset other than that though, comfort is way better for me (actually perfect with glasses and I don't need inserts anymore) and tracking is flawless for my use case (and boy, does my USB controller appreciate the lighter load).

edit: I do see some occasional white flashes still but I they are extremely rare for me in actual gameplay

Yeah no clue why they changed the controllers the originals were fine those new ones are way worse. Worse grip (for me anyway) and many accidental presses on the thumb button, I don't get, it why fix what wasn't broken?

They had to redesign the controllers because they changed how their tracking technology is now implemented. Rather than use stationary cameras around a room (outside-in tracking), they now use inside-out HMD based tracking and as such, had to change the ring to wrap around the top of the hands so that the HMD cameras can effectively see the IR markers. They also made the controllers a bit smaller and used cheaper materials to reduce their overall production costs. The original Touch controllers are a much better overall design IMHO, but they simply would not work with all the changes they made to the tracking tech redesign. I really liked the old Touch controllers much better. Shame they had to change them as they were nearly perfect.

do you guys know of anywhere that accepts trade ins for a reasonable price for the OG rift? I dont sell my things online (ebay) thinking of switching to this one after reading that they've fixed some issues.

Tired of 3 sensors and other bullshit with the OG.

do you guys know of anywhere that accepts trade ins for a reasonable price for the OG rift? I dont sell my things online (ebay) thinking of switching to this one after reading that they've fixed some issues.

Tired of 3 sensors and other bullshit with the OG.
Have you tried a Facebook marketplace? My town only has 7000 people but I have had 0 issues selling good electronics on my towns local buy and sell FB page. Also had some good luck with kijiji

Have you tried a Facebook marketplace? My town only has 7000 people but I have had 0 issues selling good electronics on my towns local buy and sell FB page. Also had some good luck with kijiji
I don't want to risk getting shot.

I always do the exchanges at our police station. They have a spot specifically for that that has 2 cameras pointing at it, if someone isn't willing to meet me there I don't deal with them. Nice thing to about Facebook is you can creep a person's profile to get a better idea of you want to deal with them, especially since 90% of people don't make their profiles properly private lol

What kind of nonsense paranoia is that? Use some basic common sense and meet at a safe place with a buyer that does not seem sketchy.

I sold my Rift S within hours of posting it on the FB marketplace. The first person that replied was a Domino's manager that asked if I could hold it for a couple days and of course I said not if someone else is ready to buy it. The very next person sent me message a few minutes later and was a student at Auburn University that was willing to drive over 2 hours. I met him across from my employee parking during my lunch and all went fine. I was going to knock a little off the price for him driving so far but before I said anything he told me his dad lived here and he needed to visit him anyway.

Why would someone shoot you? Are people in the US that desperate over gadgets?

DF-1 looks like Uwe Boll, give him a break, and hell NO to the police station, he'd be at even greater risk there...

Try selling online on ebay or something

International buyers are pretty big on getting VR headsets...or used to a couple of years ago. I sold mine twice as much as retail to some dude in bangkok. Make sure to go through Paypal, no problem.

Try selling online on ebay or something

International buyers are pretty big on getting VR headsets...or used to a couple of years ago. I sold mine twice as much as retail to some dude in bangkok. Make sure to go through Paypal, no problem.
ebay/paypal always sides with the buyer.

easier for thieves than just shooting you.

For me the batteries seem to run out a lot faster on the new controllers. But it could be the kids trying new games that have more vibration.

For me the batteries seem to run out a lot faster on the new controllers. But it could be the kids trying new games that have more vibration.
Bought some 2800mah rechargeables and they are amazing, would recommend going that route.

Bought some 2800mah rechargeables and they are amazing, would recommend going that route.

These Eneloop Pros are the best rechargeables I’ve ever used when it comes to high capacity AA’s. Regular Eneloops are a close second. They may seem pricey, but they hold up really well and can take over 500 charge cycles. They also last a long time under use. Basically they have paid for themselves after 5 charges, so the other 495 recharges equate to over $2000 in saving vs buying 4 packs of Duracells. What rechargeable did you buy?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are the best rechargeables I’ve ever used when it comes to high capacity AA’s. Regular Eneloops are a close second. What did you buy?
Some ebl batteries, I have 10 of the AA and 4 of the AAA along with the ebl charger and it's amazing. Runs my rift+rift s and Xbox controllers for ever.

EBL 8 Pack AA High Capacity 2800mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries, Battery Case Included https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DZYSK72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.bDtDbTJ1NVZM

Some ebl batteries, I have 10 of the AA and 4 of the AAA along with the ebl charger and it's amazing. Runs my rift+rift s and Xbox controllers for ever.

EBL 8 Pack AA High Capacity 2800mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries, Battery Case Included https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DZYSK72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.bDtDbTJ1NVZM

Yes the NiMH batteries that have come out in the last handful of years are amazing compared to old school rechargeables. I’ve switched over to them for pretty much everything I use AA and AAA batteries for.

I did switch to the Amazon brand batteries at the time I got the Rift S, which I have suspected may not be as good a battery as energizer/Duracell.

I did switch to the Amazon brand batteries at the time I got the Rift S, which I have suspected may not be as good a battery as energizer/Duracell.

Get some Eneloops with a charger. Stop buying alkalines. Your wallet will thank you. :D

Last edited:
I have some eneloops...they work great! a pair lasts me over a week of heavy playing (3-5 hours a day).

Recently got a Rift S to replace my stolen OG Rift and I gotta say I like it a lot. Before I "had" to buy an S I had reservations about it because of it's specs and controllers but honestly it's pretty good. The resolution bump, as small as it is, actually makes a huge difference over the original Rift in my opinion. Tracking is also spot on. The controllers are meh but they get the job done.

Only problem I have is when I play any normal desktop game with the Rift S plugged in all of the in-game resolution options are very low and never show my monitor's native resolution. I have to unplug the display port cable of the Rift to get things back to normal. Is there any way I can leave the Rift plugged in 100% of the time or do I have to keep unplugging it when not in use?

Recently got a Rift S to replace my stolen OG Rift and I gotta say I like it a lot. Before I "had" to buy an S I had reservations about it because of it's specs and controllers but honestly it's pretty good. The resolution bump, as small as it is, actually makes a huge difference over the original Rift in my opinion. Tracking is also spot on. The controllers are meh but they get the job done.

Only problem I have is when I play any normal desktop game with the Rift S plugged in all of the in-game resolution options are very low and never show my monitor's native resolution. I have to unplug the display port cable of the Rift to get things back to normal. Is there any way I can leave the Rift plugged in 100% of the time or do I have to keep unplugging it when not in use?

I don't have the problem you describe. I have my S hooked up to a PC that also goes to a 4K TV, no issues playing games at 4K with the Rift plugged in and not being used.

Try closing the oculus client before playing? Though admittedly I never had an issue while it's on.

Also, try swapping DP ports.

Just got oculus s for 450 canadian regularly 625 up here. Decided living in condo without base stations alot less space.

Got a rift-s last week to replace my CV1. The screen is so much clearer, you can actually read text. Only downside so far is the shitty audio but I 3d printed some mounts for a set of koss headphones and that fixed the issue. CV1 is boxed up for good, couldn't see going back to that blurry screen.

for those that have both Rift and S, seems the S has better visuals, but how is controller tracking? I have the Rift but cant leave the 3 sensors hooked up all the time, so put them up when i play and take them down when done. as a result, i use it maybe once every 3 months. if i didnt have to setup sensors, i would probably use it more often.

for those that have both Rift and S, seems the S has better visuals, but how is controller tracking? I have the Rift but cant leave the 3 sensors hooked up all the time, so put them up when i play and take them down when done. as a result, i use it maybe once every 3 months. if i didnt have to setup sensors, i would probably use it more often.
I have my wires running underneath the carpet. At this point I think the Quest would be better to get? Since it will be able to be hooked up to a PC and the res and such are higher?

?? Quest I thought is stand alone, not PC. So if it can, I can play pc and steam library games, etc?

Oculus Link (PC to Quest) is really impressive... just wish others besides Facebook are delivering on this tech, and make it work over WiFi as well, that'll be the winning setup for future AR/VR for sure.

It's actually very good, the only game I have had real problems with was pavlov while using a stock. Beyond Pavlov though I have had 0 issues and notice no difference between my 3 sensor cv1 and my S tracking wise

Flawless for me except when I forget to turn the lights on when it gets too dark in the room. This has resulted in a few nasty surprises when I decided to have a play session around dusk :D

Note that you don't need much light at all, but basically the cameras need to be able to distinguish your walls and furniture (you can see what the cameras see by using the passthrough function).

These Eneloop Pros are the best rechargeables I’ve ever used when it comes to high capacity AA’s. Regular Eneloops are a close second.

I gave up on replacing the Amazon batteries every 2 weeks in the touch controllers and took your recommendation and got the Eneloops. I ended up going with the white labels, since I would like to have these for many years and since these are being used in the house, I didn't think I needed maximum capacity as much as I would like extended life. If these were being used for something portable where I am away from the house or like a camera flash, I would get the black label. Plus big price difference,

I had my wife use the vinyl cutting machine and put some charge status indicators on the Eneloop plastic containers I also got. I've had the batteries for about a month and find it easier to just occasionally swap them out when no one is using them, rather than having the kids bother me while they are playing games and the controllers go dead. I've been slowly putting these in Xbox controllers as the Amazon batteries die. I like the charger they come with too.

WipCXVV.jpg

Man I'm trying to decide between this and the new Vive Cosmos. I'm worried about the Rift not being supported though. They announced finger tracking on the rift quest but nothing on the S

Last edited:
Rift S is one of the best purchases I've made in years. It has so many fun free things you can do with it. My brother and I jump into a room together and watch stuff all the time, yesterday we were watching NFL games and his neighbor popped in for a bit. There is also tons of potential for more things. I really want to start watching 3d movies on this as i've seen some previews and its just like going to a 3d movie at the theater. Pokerstars VR is also a ton of fun if you like poker and its free.

3d movie at a theater, for real? that was the worst experience I ever had, could barely concentrate on the movie with floaty bits in my face and inability to focus on what I wanted... I only hear it's all much better in VR, but still how does one get around that forced convergence issue, or do most people not mind it?

Flawless for me except when I forget to turn the lights on when it gets too dark in the room. This has resulted in a few nasty surprises when I decided to have a play session around dusk :D

Note that you don't need much light at all, but basically the cameras need to be able to distinguish your walls and furniture (you can see what the cameras see by using the passthrough function).

interesting. will have to look into it. will likely put up the rift for sale with the 3rd sensor, but not sure if I will get the quest, or wait for something with higher FOV. i was keeping an eye on the Pi, but not ready to dive in there yet.

interesting. will have to look into it. will likely put up the rift for sale with the 3rd sensor, but not sure if I will get the quest, or wait for something with higher FOV. i was keeping an eye on the Pi, but not ready to dive in there yet.
Ya the fov is my biggest complaint on the rift s. Love the screen quality but you do notice the lack of fov in some games

Back