Red Dead Redemption 2

If I do this... do you also have the sharpening in the game itself maxed out? For performance I'm definitely sticking with TAA Medium with in game sharpener maxed.
In my testing, you want TAA "Medium" and the in-game sharpener maxed all the way up. TAA "High" might be worth trying.
If you turn down the in-game sharpener, distant objects will get blurred.

This is for 1080p.

Start with 30-50% on the Nvidia sharpener and tune to your liking.
I found big success in TAA with the sharpening filter enabled in the Nvidia overlay. Give it a try.
I actually installed (and then uninstalled) GFE to test it, since the Control Panel sharpener wasn't working.
I've been playing at 4K DSR w/ 30fps lock. The game just looks too good.

I've flipped a lot of games from 1080p to 4K DSR and this one is by far the biggest improvement. I still think the TAA algo was designed for 4K, probably something to do with the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro versions being at 4K. It's basically broken at 1080p.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What's confusing to me is how to keep the 3 star hunts a 3 star.

I shot multiple 3 star game yesterday (Gators, Deer, Bear, Etc) and they all changed to a 2 or 1 star.

Headshot? Check. One shot? Check.

Bow and arrow? No.

I think that's why they went to two star.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems random if the 3 star stays or not.

Look at the details when you are looking at an animal. It will tell you what weapon to use to get a perfect kill.

If I do this... do you also have the sharpening in the game itself maxed out? How much sharpening did you use off that overlay? I flipped it on and just left everything at default.

For performance I'm definitely sticking with TAA Medium with in game sharpener maxed at least.

Yes - I had TAA is set to high and the in game sharpening is maxed. I _think_ TAA high was sharper than medium.

I'm not too far off the Nvidia default amount. You can just mess with the slider and see the change in real time, or just flip it on and off. Only takes a couple minutes to find a good balance, but it does a really good job of clearing the image up.

like this
From digitalfoundry, xbox one x settings for 4k30:

ZrwEdoL.png

From digitalfoundry, xbox one x settings for 4k30:

View attachment 198871

Really goes to show that if you don't have a monster system (Read - Pretty much only a 2080ti for 4k) that you'd really be better off just sticking with console for games like this.

I feel like there has to be some further optimization to be found on PC, however.

Yes - I had TAA is set to high and the in game sharpening is maxed. I _think_ TAA high was sharper than medium.

I'm not too far off the Nvidia default amount. You can just mess with the slider and see the change in real time, or just flip it on and off. Only takes a couple minutes to find a good balance, but it does a really good job of clearing the image up.

It pisses me off, because none of the review websites have shown them side by side, but from my judgement I believe TAA medium is sharper.

Really goes to show that if you don't have a monster system (Read - Pretty much only a 2080ti for 4k) that you'd really be better off just sticking with console for games like this.

I feel like there has to be some further optimization to be found on PC, however.
Another way to look at it, these are 4K 30 settings for an RX 580. DF matched these settings and was able to get 1080p 60 on the 580. I don't know about 4K though, I didn't actually watch the video. HardwareUnboxed tested the "High" preset and the 580 pulled 23fps average. With these custom settings it could presumably hit 30fps or more.

The sliders in the game are, for the most part, quite bit higher than people expected. About half the settings in the game are lower than low or disabled, when compared to the PC. If your GPU is stronger than a 580 then you're better off with the PC version. Anything less and you're probably losing quality/fps.

Last edited:
I really don't see a RX 580 getting 30 FPS @ 4k with those outlined settings on PC.

Fucking love giving $200 to the camp and next time I show up some prick hassles me about not contributing.

Look at the ledger and I'm 90% of the contributions while some dickhead contributed a fucking bat wing for 15 cents.

Then people have the audacity to talk shit on my fashion after I buy them a $300 camp upgrade.

Last edited:
For sure it can. Reflection and Near Volumetric are worth 50%+ alone.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/27...nt-graphics-options-every-setting-benchmarked

Lighting quality seems wrong at least. It's basically no cost I can really tell during the day and definitely "pretty heavy" at night. Seems to be the range that lamps and streetlights affect.

At Ultra, lights tend to have a lot of range with a soft and realistic falloff. On Low, they're very narrow and defined.

I was messing with it last night and I'm tempted to call it essential to use Ultra. Huge difference in some areas. Attached is High vs Ultra in Saint Denis

Attachments

• high.png
    high.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • ultra.png
    ultra.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Lighting quality seems wrong at least. It's basically no cost I can really tell during the day and definitely "pretty heavy" at night. Seems to be the range that lamps and streetlights affect.

At Ultra, lights tend to have a lot of range with a soft and realistic falloff. On Low, they're very narrow and defined.

I was messing with it last night and I'm tempted to call it essential to use Ultra. Huge difference in some areas. Attached is High vs Ultra in Saint Denis

ultra does look better but both screenshots look pretty damn good to me. Maybe I need to test for myself and see it in motion but from your screenshots I think I’d be fine with either setting.

Fucking love giving $200 to the camp and next time I show up some prick hassles me about not contributing.

Look at the ledger and I'm 90% of the contributions while some dickhead contributed a fucking bat wing for 15 cents.

Then people have the audacity to talk shit on my fashion after I buy them a $300 camp upgrade.

It's nice to have a rockstar game where money is useful.

Completely disagree, for one major thing your FPS isn’t locked to 30 on PC. Then you have the ability to customize the look of the game, use M/KB as well as controller, monitors are vastly superior to TV for gaming outside 4K. This is just scratching the surface, but your only better with a console if it’s all you can afford, or your too lazy to learn about graphics options.

Last edited:

So, "a 2080Ti can't Ultra every setting at 4K, so why bother playing on PC at all?" is that what you're suggesting?

Its not a binary choice between "amazing" or "shit" unless you're unrealistic and expect too much of modest hardware, or just don't want to tweak settings. There's a vast middle ground that blows away the best console version.

- 4K is only like 2% of PC gamers when you look at datapoints like Steam stats.
- Xbox One X or PS4 Pro versions of RDR2 aren't doing true 4K30 anyway - they're just res scaling to "4K"
- The best console version (Xbox One X) is set to graphical settings that are lower than the lowest-selectable PC settings.

So, "a 2080Ti can't Ultra every setting at 4K, so why bother playing on PC at all?" is that what you're suggesting?

Its not a binary choice between "amazing" or "shit" unless you're unrealistic and expect too much of modest hardware, or just don't want to tweak settings. There's a vast middle ground that blows away the best console version.

- 4K is only like 2% of PC gamers when you look at datapoints like Steam stats.
- Xbox One X or PS4 Pro versions of RDR2 aren't doing true 4K30 anyway - they're just res scaling to "4K"
- The best console version (Xbox One X) is set to graphical settings that are lower than the lowest-selectable PC settings.

I'm going to take it that you didn't read what I said at all, or skimmed it really fast.

Not sure why you bothered using quotation marks when you didn't quote me.

My comment was specifically geared towards 4K gaming.

And yes, I have a 3900x/2080ti along with a 4K panel, which is why I made the comment.

Last edited:
This really bugs the shit out of me. Why place a desktop shortcut after installation when we can't even use it? Seriously what the fuck Rockstar?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
This really bugs the shit out of me. Why place a desktop shortcut after installation when we can't even use it? Seriously what the fuck Rockstar?

Yeah, I thought that was particularly hilarious. You'd think they'd patch the install option of that out given how embarrassing that is.

Because none of it matters. I played the game awhile ago on PS4, but I also watched this video recently and it kinda sums up the whole thing.

Because none of it matters. I played the game awhile ago on PS4, but I also watched this video recently and it kinda sums up the whole thing.

Everyone has their own opinion.

I love it personally. Although I do agree the camp thing should have had more impact.

The people that complain about all the stuff in the game that 'doesn't add to the game' are missing the point.

Sitting in a bar playing poker, for instance, is outstanding in this game. As time passes you can watch the crowd in the bar build up, etc. It's the attention to detail and all the extra stuff that make Rockstar's games outstanding.

I understand some folks may not like it though. Some people just want a game that you can dive head first into and just focus on the core gameplay loop.

I watched the video, and completely agree. he is ultimately driving to is that the sense of detail and realism in RDR2 is fake, or rather your presence in the game is fake, and any illusion of interaction with the world ends up being both meaningless and stripped away from you.

finally broke down and bought the same. I can confirm that Rockstar did fix the launcher issues with AMD. Played about 3-4 hours so far and no crashing or issues.....Really shocked how well its played.

Also helped setting the graphic options that TaintedSquirrel linked to get decent frames....All in all this game blow me away with how good it looks. Really liking this story!

It's a fantastic game. I've already spent 30 or so hours just riding around the countryside doing hunting&fishing. I'm not even out of the 2nd act yet. I've also spent a good couple hours just playing poker online with some friends. It's great fun for that as well.

well I found a new way to cross a river

Sock....Dude your comments and videos had me almost choking on my beer from laughing tonight.....you sir are the chicken dinner of posts tonight.....Keep it up my friend! :chicken:

EDIT_So can dudes post if there playing evil or good? My buddy finished the game on console and didnt spoil it but said if u go the evil route, the ending really sucks and good is the best way to roll.... I've been 99% good so far but blasting a bunch of lawmen giving me shit for talking to them while they were transporting a prisoner just felt sooooo right :)

anybody else notice the controls break for like 5 seconds when you come out of the pause menu... or is it just me.

edit; just checked, it only happens when i alt tab to another window and then go back. and only the pause menu, if i use the map instead, its fine. weird game man.

like this
Can't keep up 100fps in city areas :( also lower gpu usage :(

8 cores @ 6Ghz is what I need :wideyed:

This Ray Tracing mod looks to be extremely taxing, but definitely eye candy.

maybe my eyes are broken but one doesn’t look more realistic than the other. It just looks like a change in color tone and contrast to my eyes.

Im using windows 10.

It seems I can get to the main menu but it’s completely black.

Only way I found to get past that is delete your settings file then launch the game, crash it out, then start in safe mode. Real professional programming. ;)

Yeah, I thought that was particularly hilarious. You'd think they'd patch the install option of that out given how embarrassing that is.

Whomever at Rockstar worked on the PC port of this game is total amateur hour.

I disagree with HUB on Lighting; Medium looks like shit. I also disagree on Water, the difference between Medium and Low is negligible and worth ~5% extra fps.

I also don't like that he recommends lowering some settings that gain ~2% fps because he says he doesn't see a difference. Unless he tested multiple areas across the game, it's hard to be sure those settings are never visible, and 2% is basically margin of error.

I was wondering where that was. How did you claim yours?
spoilers...
the map is in the burned village just west of your heartland camp. there's also a gold bar there, too.
at the end of the treasure map trail you get 6 gold bars. the map is called 'tresor des morts'. spanish for treasure of the dead.

if youre lazy you can just google the map and see where everything is.

also, psa for saving, if you spam the escape button as soon as you finish the 'confirm save' window, it will go right back to the game. so you can save like 5 seconds closing menus.

exclusive fullscreen fix for dx12

Last edited:
Back