Ready or Not: tactical SWAT game

I'll wait for a sale. Seems a little undercooked, and apparently they removed features that were in early access?

I don't think they removed anything. I think I paid $33 or so over a year back. You can find deals on it. It could use some tweaking, my main complaints are the police station as a menu. Walk to a table to change your weapon, walk to another one to choose your mission. A regular 2D menu is far superior.

I’ll have to try this again, I did most of my playtime in the first few months of it being available for early access.

It was fun but a bit tedious if you played it the real way so I mainly just used a breaching shotgun to handle the doors or kicked them and prayed that there were no traps on them.

I don't think they removed anything. I think I paid $33 or so over a year back. You can find deals on it. It could use some tweaking, my main complaints are the police station as a menu. Walk to a table to change your weapon, walk to another one to choose your mission. A regular 2D menu is far superior.
According to a lot of people, they removed mission variants, game modes, and maps. Presumably these will be added back again later, but no guarantee.

my main complaints are the police station as a menu. Walk to a table to change your weapon, walk to another one to choose your mission. A regular 2D menu is far superior.
This is my biggest complaint as well. 2d menu vs 3d menu doesnt add or take away any immersion for me, tends to be annoying if theres too much wandering around before starting a mission. And waste of game resources imo

According to a lot of people, they removed mission variants, game modes, and maps. Presumably these will be added back again later, but no guarantee.

I'll have to check. I am only doing the main missions now. I assumed the other modes were still there but just couldn't figure out the clunky UI. Typically they had some things like Raid (hostile enemies), Barricaded Suspects (moderate enemies, more civilians), bomb diffuse and active shooter (enemies run around and actively kill civilians). Most maps had a few options.

I think the biggest thing needed is a SWAT 4 style quick mission editor, where you can choose the suspect type, their weapons, quantity (SWAT 4 you can specify or randomize between something like 8-25 suspects), the basic game modes and the map.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I will also mention this game feels slightly "off" in some ways compared to SWAT 4. It has gotten better with V1.0, but it still suffers a bit of a mechanic design crisis. And that is player movement. The player moves slow, which is not realistic. If you watch any video with police shooting at suspects movement is very fast. This is also true for clearing rooms. So when you come under fire it is often unnecessarily difficult to move behind cover very quickly. This can be frustrating with the obviously quick kill time.

And this is where it diverges from SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six Raven Shield. In particular, SWAT 4. SWAT 4 almost plays like a game in slow motion, the world is slowed down slightly. Players move slow, but so do suspects. In Ready or Not suspects can run around fast, maybe even too fast and accurately. Yet the SWAT team and particularly the player can't even fast walk with their weapon raised. It isn't realistic, but neither was SWAT 4. The difference is SWAT 4 was consistent. Animations were also exaggerated and slow, so you had a split second to read a suspect to see if they were surrendering, fleeing or raising a weapon. This wasn't realistic, but it was again consistent and allowed that tactical element: shoot or don't shoot, to be processed.

In Ready or Not everything is realistic and normal speed, except the player. From a gameplay standpoint the inconsistency suffers. They either need to make it fully realistic (player needs to be more mobile), or slow the entire game down, like SWAT 4.

Edit: And the whole stress thing needs to die in a dumpster fire, and really has no place in a game like this. It feels like something for an RPG, not a tactical shooter. I thought it was dumb when they teased it, but it is outright idiotic. It just should be outright deleted, or have an option to disable it.

Last edited:
I will also mention this game feels slightly "off" in some ways compared to SWAT 4. It has gotten better with V1.0, but it still suffers a bit of a mechanic design crisis. And that is player movement. The player moves slow, which is not realistic. If you watch any video with police shooting at suspects movement is very fast. This is also true for clearing rooms. So when you come under fire it is often unnecessarily difficult to move behind cover very quickly. This can be frustrating with the obviously quick kill time.

And this is where it diverges from SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six Raven Shield. In particular, SWAT 4. SWAT 4 almost plays like a game in slow motion, the world is slowed down slightly. Players move slow, but so do suspects. In Ready or Not suspects can run around fast, maybe even too fast and accurately. Yet the SWAT team and particularly the player can't even fast walk with their weapon raised. It isn't realistic, but neither was SWAT 4. The difference is SWAT 4 was consistent. Animations were also exaggerated and slow, so you had a split second to read a suspect to see if they were surrendering, fleeing or raising a weapon. This wasn't realistic, but it was against consistent and allowed that tactical element: shoot or don't shoot, to be processed.

In Ready or Not everything is realistic and normal speed, except the player. From a gameplay standpoint the inconsistency suffers. They either need to make it fully realistic (player needs to be more mobile), or slow the entire game down, like SWAT 4.

Edit: And the whole stress thing needs to die in a dumpster fire, and really has no place in a game like this. It feels like something for an RPG, not a tactical shooter. I thought it was dumb when they teased it, but it is outright idiotic. It just be outright deleted, or have an option to disable it.

^^ I will co-sign this.

I visited the forum for this game, and way too many arguments, either for or against the game, were based on, “In real life, that’s not how it works….” - which makes me think that this ‘game’ isn’t a game, or that if it is then ‘realism’ will get in the way of ‘fun’. The game looks really intriguing, but I know what type of gamer I am, and I struggle with games that emphasize realism over entertainment. I would try this out on Gamepass though.

I visited the forum for this game, and way too many arguments, either for or against the game, were based on, “In real life, that’s not how it works….” - which makes me think that this ‘game’ isn’t a game, or that if it is then ‘realism’ will get in the way of ‘fun’. The game looks really intriguing, but I know what type of gamer I am, and I struggle with games that emphasize realism over entertainment. I would try this out on Gamepass though.
I'm the same way. I'm not into simulators. A good game has to strike a balance between realism (to maintain suspension of disbelief) and being entertaining. Take for example Ghost Recon games. You can walk around and shoot people in the head with a suppressor and a guy 15 feet away won't hear it or even react to it unless they are facing you and see the kill. It's not realistic as firearm suppressors at best only render some handgun calibers just quiet enough to be hearing safe. With most rifle calibers at best you get sound signature reduction and elimination of the muzzle flash. Sure there is a reduction in decibels but not enough to render anything supersonic hearing safe.

Yet again, suppressed sniper rifle shots are quite enough not to alert guards. It's stupid in terms of being unrealistic but its satisfying gameplay.

I'm the same way. I'm not into simulators. A good game has to strike a balance between realism (to maintain suspension of disbelief) and being entertaining. Take for example Ghost Recon games. You can walk around and shoot people in the head with a suppressor and a guy 15 feet away won't hear it or even react to it unless they are facing you and see the kill. It's not realistic as firearm suppressors at best only render some handgun calibers just quiet enough to be hearing safe. With most rifle calibers at best you get sound signature reduction and elimination of the muzzle flash. Sure there is a reduction in decibels but not enough to render anything supersonic hearing safe.

Yet again, suppressed sniper rifle shots are quite enough not to alert guards. It's stupid in terms of being unrealistic but its satisfying gameplay.

This isn't quite a simulator, but leans towards it. I think a lot of the changes in 1.0 are a bit annoying, officers seem to move too far ahead. The way they clear a room often leads them into another room or two. Playing one of the maps I've played many times on the alpha builds, a pair officers went down a set of stairs when I was trying to clear the rooms upstairs.

SWAT 4 with Elite Force mod is quite polished and fun, despite its age. I suggest getting that even if you get Ready or Not. While more streamlined for action, I would also suggest Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2. The friendly squad can be a bit dumb in 1, and you really need to recon with the drone because machinegun emplacements take you out quickly. You only get 3 squad members and positioning is more important than detailed commands. 2 Has better squad AI but the mission design is more funneled so you don't really have alternative routes. I replayed GRAW 1 recently. I don't think GRAW 1/2 are for sale anymore, so you might have to get them via alternative means. Of course, get the PC versions. The console versions are pure 3rd person action games. The PC versions are different games by a different studio, and are 1st person.

But SWAT 4 is certainly worth a buy, that is on GOG.

I can recommend the AI overhaul mod. It helps with the AI's occasional ability to be superhuman, use wall hacks, and so forth. Try it.

After playing this game more, I have to say the AI is still shit. Both officers and enemies. All of the major issues are still present without much being done to fix anything. I've seen one of the developers post of the Steam forums and they appear to be sniffing their own farts, so I am quite disappointed. This still plays more like an alpha/beta build. Everything that was wrong is still wrong, and they added more crap that is of zero interest or relevance to the genre. I thought this was a tactical shooter, not a hiring manager simulator.

Let me summarize the problems:

- Horrible menu design.

- Suspects that go right to murder spree mode, without surrendering 90% of the time. The ones that do surrender often get up. Your officers move so damn slow that they often cannot walk up and cuff them before the suspects get up and go John Wick on them.

- In certain areas officers enter a room, then throw their grenades. Gentlemen, that is not how it works.

- Enemies have insane detection. They can spot an elbow or foot poking out from cover, from 40-50 feet away, through multiple blocked obstacles, with no direct line of sight, between conveyor belts and stairs, and proceed to dump accurate fire within less than a second.

- Enemies have pin point accuracy.

- Enemies can move faster than the player, and NPC officers. The player can only slow walk, while an enemy can run sideways at a full sprint speed, or backwards, with near perfect accuracy with full auto weapons.

- Cannot fast move. In the real world if you're being shot at, or you need to close the distance and restrain someone, or you hear civilians being shot, you will move quickly. In RoN, you do "whelp, I hope they don't die".

- The stress system is pants on head retarded.

- Enemies can pin point accuracy dump full auto through walls. I understand you can get a rough approximation, but not pin point accuracy.

- Friendly officers are also slayers. They move through a room and zap enemies. There will be no survivors. With some exceptions.

- Sometimes the slayer-officers aren't so good. When they get up to a suspect who gets up and goes John Wick, they don't seem to react. I was lucky enough to save them around 3-4 times. But if you're up with a gun in your hands, you should get the first drop. Not the guy on the ground with his hands up.

- Officers seem to shoot each other a bit.

- Command menu is inconsistent, often changes too frequently, cannot often determine doorways, often cannot switch between Red, Blue or Gold.

- Sometimes officers grenade options will not show up despite having them. Seems to be an issue with Blue team.

As someone with close to 90 hours in this game, I can't say I recommend it as of now. I will have to look up the aforementioned AI mod. I avoided it because the developers claimed to be reworking AI. Well, they certainly have not fixed it yet. Yes they more natural while moving and you have a few more options but it isn't enough and the buggy context menu often makes those extras pointless. Especially given how slow they move.

You playing with a controller? You could try that I know it's not supported but might make things easier.
I plan on playing this some on my vacation or on the 24th.

After playing this game more, I have to say the AI is still shit. Both officers and enemies. All of the major issues are still present without much being done to fix anything. I've seen one of the developers post of the Steam forums and they appear to be sniffing their own farts, so I am quite disappointed. This still plays more like an alpha/beta build. Everything that was wrong is still wrong, and they added more crap that is of zero interest or relevance to the genre. I thought this was a tactical shooter, not a hiring manager simulator.

Let me summarize the problems:

- Horrible menu design.

- Suspects that go right to murder spree mode, without surrendering 90% of the time. The ones that do surrender often get up. Your officers move so damn slow that they often cannot walk up and cuff them before the suspects get up and go John Wick on them.

- In certain areas officers enter a room, then throw their grenades. Gentlemen, that is not how it works.

- Enemies have insane detection. They can spot an elbow or foot poking out from cover, from 40-50 feet away, through multiple blocked obstacles, with no direct line of sight, between conveyor belts and stairs, and proceed to dump accurate fire within less than a second.

- Enemies have pin point accuracy.

- Enemies can move faster than the player, and NPC officers. The player can only slow walk, while an enemy can run sideways at a full sprint speed, or backwards, with near perfect accuracy with full auto weapons.

- Cannot fast move. In the real world if you're being shot at, or you need to close the distance and restrain someone, or you hear civilians being shot, you will move quickly. In RoN, you do "whelp, I hope they don't die".

- The stress system is pants on head retarded.

- Enemies can pin point accuracy dump full auto through walls. I understand you can get a rough approximation, but not pin point accuracy.

- Friendly officers are also slayers. They move through a room and zap enemies. There will be no survivors. With some exceptions.

- Sometimes the slayer-officers aren't so good. When they get up to a suspect who gets up and goes John Wick, they don't seem to react. I was lucky enough to save them around 3-4 times. But if you're up with a gun in your hands, you should get the first drop. Not the guy on the ground with his hands up.

- Officers seem to shoot each other a bit.

- Command menu is inconsistent, often changes too frequently, cannot often determine doorways, often cannot switch between Red, Blue or Gold.

- Sometimes officers grenade options will not show up despite having them. Seems to be an issue with Blue team.

As someone with close to 90 hours in this game, I can't say I recommend it as of now. I will have to look up the aforementioned AI mod. I avoided it because the developers claimed to be reworking AI. Well, they certainly have not fixed it yet. Yes they more natural while moving and you have a few more options but it isn't enough and the buggy context menu often makes those extras pointless. Especially given how slow they move.
Thanks for the honesty. SWAT 4 had awesome A.I. for its time. Very dynamic for a shooting game. I've had cat and mouse manhunts with suspects who fled across the map, and it can even get a little scary. Sad to hear that this game's A.I. is far from what it should be.

Huh. I have not even fired the game up since the update, but I will say that the couple of videos I've skimmed have been absolutely over the moon about the game.

View: https://youtu.be/LVOZ_XIIG6E?si=Ne01a5ka20SZPdj6

Guess I will wait for more updates - I have about 10 gaming irons in the fire right now anyway and would love to just finish one, lol.

Thanks for the honesty. SWAT 4 had awesome A.I. for its time. Very dynamic for a shooting game. I've had cat and mouse manhunts with suspects who fled across the map, and it can even get a little scary. Sad to hear that this game's A.I. is far from what it should be.

And SWAT 4 still had problems (people say SWAT 3 was better to), but I find it to be more consistent and rounded. I go through that game every few years, so I've played it a whole lot. I think the AI is superior. I think the whole experience is superior. RoN has better graphics and sounds of course, and you can bring up weapon sights. But IMO those still don't make it the better experience.

They can still update this, but my impression is that these issues seem to be intentional or at least viewed as acceptable. Which is my problem. As an alpha/beta game it is fine. As a released product, IMO, it isn't.

Edit: The above video is of co-op it seems. I think that will eliminate a big chunk of the issues, like context/command menu issues, the occasional officers moving in right before tossing a grenade, and other things. But if you're not a co-op player and want to command and control officers in single players, I think you'll be more disappointed than the typical co-op player.

Last edited:
Why did you play a game you think stinks for 90 hours?!

It got worse. And what was acceptable for a alpha/beta is not acceptable for a retail game. Did I mention it got worse, in many ways?

Example:

Mission requires you to arrest someone (FISA Agent), who fights back, and mission will fail when your squad members automatically murder them for existing. On paper it sounds simple, but with how the AI works and how movement works it is almost impossible. Here is one example of what I did:

Enemy suspect has been flash banged four times but will not surrender. Because the player cannot fast walk, enemies will heal and resume shooting at the player from a distance before the player can subdue them. Suspect has tracking issues. Suspect will not surrender despite being shot multiple times after taking 4 flash bang grenades. You must also arrest this character, and the mission will fail if they are killed. Friendly officers will kill said suspect on sight. If you equip less lethal paintball guns, this suspect will be stunned but heal and then instantly kill friendly officers, 1 or 2 at a time, before they can approach and restrain suspect. An entire squad of officers cannot close the gap and react quick enough 90% of the time. If they do, they switch to their lethal side arm, kill the suspect, and fail the mission.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5BoINQjG4

Video is after this NPC was flash banged (2x hand held, 2x grenade launcher), ordered to surrender, and then shot at, then shot, multiple times. And that is before my four officers approached with less lethal weapons, hitting the suspect multiple times. As I said, he regains his posture, and then John Wicks the NPCs instantly. For some reason it had issues tracking me up the stairs. Either the NPCs are John Wick, or they don't react/get stuck. Essentially zero in between.

In this same mission I had a suspect get up, start slashing multiple officers with a knife, and they did not react for 3-4 seconds. When they did, they started spraying all over, and blasted me with their paintball guns. Luckily I was able to shoot and kill the suspect while my officers were busy shooting me in the back.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend the AI on this game. It is quite shit.

They need to put this back into an alpha state, or pull it from sale and issue refunds.

Not my video, but does a good job of showing the AI in its current state.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdEqM876fq8&t=1s

Still no real update from the devs about making the AI more human like. The AI mod mentioned above is a decent fix. The postal office map is a slaughter without the mod. The AI can more or less detect your elbow through a 3 inch gap through multiple shelves, loading belts, packages, passageways and other obstacles and almost instantly hit and kill you.

Yeah the game is okay, but it really should not be in a "released" state.

Post Office Map lol I gotta try that one I bet it's more fun than Postal. I been hanging out on USPS Reddit over the past few months they need all the help they can get.

20240131110334_1.jpg

Finished Gas Station was pretty easy took me about 4 tries today. One guy I tried to restrain with Zip Ties but he was kneeling then took a knife out on me and got me...
I'm using an X-BOX controller and Keyboard combo this game needs controller support.

Ready or Not - 1.0: Hotfix #3
Build 41630

Bug Fixes:
  • Removed duplicate Beachfront briefing
  • Adjusted visibility blockers on Ridgeline, Penthouse, Valley and Importer
  • Fixed a bug that soft-locked the game when changing the language outside of the main menu
  • Fixed an issue with the loadout/customization menu that caused the game to crash when opened at the last second before the mission starts loading
  • Fixed a stack-up error that caused SWAT AI to be unable to move and clear when a door is opened toward them
  • Fixed a bug that prevented SWAT AI from autonomously completing all objectives and finishing the mission after the player dies in practice mode
  • Fixed an audio trigger in the tutorial that started too soon, resulting in players trying to complete the optiwand task on the wrong door
  • Fixed an unintentional interaction that allowed completion of the “Due Process” achievement without using C2
  • Fixed an issue that led to unintended AI behaviour, where Suspect AI was reopening fire at their last target after faking a suicide attempt
  • Fixed various lighting & art bugs across missions
  • Fixed an input error that caused players to stay in crouch position when approaching suspect/civilian or evidence while in crouch position and releasing input during a restrain or evidence animation
  • Fixed a customization bug that caused watches under long sleeved shirts to still appear in first person view
  • Fixed an issue that brought up the replay menu when pressing the slash button during missions
  • Fixed a startup issue that resulted in subtitles being reset to default instead of the one that was set during the previous game session
  • Resolved an issue that made weapons appear not to zoom in with the entire scene when ADS zoom is enabled while holding down ADS
  • Fixed missing ADS zoom when using the MP5A2 with a holographic sight
  • Fixed a bug in which additional taser ammunition was not granted when using an additional taser slot
  • Fixed an issue that caused the tablet to get stuck on the screen when opened before a gun is drawn for the first time
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the game to crash when the Faction Manager and modded maps tried to interact in the background
  • Fixed a bug that squared the headshot damage against players only when the helmet was already destroyed
  • Fixed a bug on Gas & Streamer that sometimes made dropped weapons fall through the floor
  • Fixed a bug that allowed SWAT AI to kill suspects by shooting them in the head with beanbags
  • Fixed a bug that prevented SWAT AI from moving in and clearing through the container doors in the Port auction room
  • Fixed an animation bug for the taser that utilized the wrong reload animation while aiming, allowing it to fire again faster than intended
  • Fixed an issue that allowed prolonged engagements between suspects and SWAT AI through walls, without requiring line of sight
  • Fixed a bug on Club which caused bullets to not go through railings
  • Fixed a command issue that caused the “Deploy Shield” command not to work when ordered through team command
  • Fixed a bug where the “Open Door” command was not working when a team is stacked up on the same door already
  • Fixed a bug that made opening doors look stuttery when spectating someone far away from own corpse
  • Fixed a bug that caused Supporter Edition verification codes to not appear anymore in the options menu
  • Fixed a bug that allowed killed suspects with destroyed heads to still be restrainable
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Trailers from picking up ragdolled suspects & civilians
  • Fixed a bug that made SWAT AI unnecessarily avoid player aim during a “Move to” command, causing the command to be interrupted
  • Fixed a visual bug that caused snapping to occur when SWAT AI is pulling their NVG down
  • Fixed a bug that prevented modded content additions from being discovered by the asset manager
  • Removed any related SWAT voicelines that are referring to themselves as the high ground callsign
  • Fixed an audio bug that resulted in music not playing for clients in multiplayer
  • Fixed ammo types not meant to be accessible by players appearing in the loadout menu
  • Fixed an issue that caused the bounce light setting to always appear as disabled
  • Various audio fixes across most levels

Improvements:
  • Added a new setting option to “enable/disable” the replay feature. The default setting is set to “disabled”, which also may improve the game’s performance
  • Added a new option in the graphics settings to disable Per Object shadows. Disabling this may improve performance. The lowest graphics preset will have this setting disabled by default.
  • Added several outstanding VO files for Penthouse
  • Added several new icons in the loadout customization menu
  • Adjusted reflectiveness of ballistic shield glass, making it easier to see through in most lighting conditions
  • Added DLSS “auto” and “ultra quality” options
  • Fixed DLSS quality options not being set correctly
  • Upgraded DLSS implementation from 3.1.0a to 3.5.2a
  • Upgraded FidelityFX Super Resolution 2 from 2.1.2. to 2.2.1
  • Added various audio enhancements, improvements and fixes across all available missions

Balance:
  • Revamped the way Suspect AI accuracy is calculated and rebalanced it, resulting in a fairer experience across all levels
    (Note: changes to the accuracy calculation will break AI mods)
  • Adjusted stress system usage on Penthouse and Sins
  • Increased maximum surrender time for Suspect AI before considering leaving surrender state to take action (Also prevents suspects from considering leaving surrender state after witnessing another suspect being killed, or while surrounded by multiple SWAT officers)
  • Decreased Suspect AI damage when shooting through walls
  • Decreased smoke opacity of CS Gas to allow players to see through it more easily
  • Slightly increased movement speed of SWAT AI when moving on slopes
  • Increased passive stress loss in commander mode
  • Decreased stress gained from player death in commander mode
  • Decreased Taser magazine count per slot from 4 to 3

Will checkout suspect AI now. Patch apparently breaks AI mods, but they seemingly have tweaked how they work and fixed some line of sight issues. So at least they're willing to fix the aimbot enemies.

Also supports DLSS 3.5 now.

Played around with the game post update. The enemy NPCs seem good now. Occasional oddness, but nothing too bad. Less pinpoint tracking through walls. Less extreme head shot accuracy. There might still need to be work done when it comes to visuals through hard to see glass, but I have not tested that much. There were previously some places with dirty/fogged glass that was impossible to see through yet enemies could instantly see through as if they were pristine and clear.

Played around with the game post update. The enemy NPCs seem good now. Occasional oddness, but nothing too bad. Less pinpoint tracking through walls. Less extreme head shot accuracy. There might still need to be work done when it comes to visuals through hard to see glass, but I have not tested that much. There were previously some places with dirty/fogged glass that was impossible to see through yet enemies could instantly see through as if they were pristine and clear.
I read on Steam they nerfed it too much.

I agree. It feels better. I think they are a lot closer now.

I didn't have an enemy suddenly jump me out of thin air and I didn't have as much aimbot/wallhack happening, either. I still have some challenge but it seems less unfair.

Now I feel like I can recommend this game with confidence.

Last edited:
I agree. It feels better. I think they are a lot closer now.

I didn't have an enemy suddenly jump me out of thin air and I didn't have as much aimbot/wallhack happening, either. I still have some challenge but it seems less unfair.

Now I feel like I can recommend this game with confidence.

Still could use tweaking to make it more realistic. Generally they move better now, but I still have seen them run backwards around furniture with accuracy, while shooting at me. At least their accuracy isn't good when doing this, but try walking backwards around your house. Then do it at a jogging pace. I doubt anyone will not be bumping into things or tripping.

At the same time sometimes they got the drop on me but missed a bit too much. I've still seen them detect me from a distance despite not facing me and spin around while moving. It just doesn't result in an instant head shot anymore. A good first step, but they will act odd. Their accuracy and damage was nerfed a bit too much as they are clearly working around the detection/movement speed issues. Still, it is far better than it was.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Lol Home invasion DLC everyone's worst nightmare. I belong to a neighborhood watch program on FB.

Back