Rage sucks

Fuck you Carmack, FUCK YOU! PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE KILLING PC GAMING GOD DAMNIT!

what god hath made, he can taketh away

-edit I do not endorse the above statement because ID games have always been dark and muddy and storyless filth from the devil to me - good engines though

Two things that make me die a little inside every time I see them:

- the correct writing is 'id' in lower case (a reference to Sigmund Freud's id, ego and super ego) -- not 'ID' or 'iD';
- Quake 4 was developed by Raven.

- it's written 'id' in lower case (a reference to Sigmund Freud's id, ego and super ego) -- not 'ID' or 'iD';

First one bugs me too a little bit.

Yup...jump on the bandwagon. :rolleyes:
I'm not on the bandwagon. I was complaining about Doom 3's graphics when it came out, while people were doting over it excessively and everyone said I was insane. As time went on general consensus has shifted to be that Doom 3 wasn't all that great looking. Who's on the bandwagon? Doom and Wolfenstein both had just about zero substance, just go kill things. I didn't enjoy them as a youngin'.

Rage is the same deal. Carmack makes a new engine and everyone moons over it, because Carmack worked on it, despite it being nothing special. UT2k4 is still a lot more visually interesting than any game iD has ever made, despite it looking dated.

All the games these days suck now. The developers are trying to get away with the bare minimum just to get their initial cash cow from the preorders and ignorant people that just buy without reading up on the product. Its just dumb now how we are being screwed over time after time. Hyped up for something so crappy. Its like a picture taken at some weird angle to make a ugly girl look hot on myspace or facebook then when you meet her in person shes just distorted and out of shape. I don't think any games will be good this year. Gaming is dieing. Consoles have destroyed the gaming industry. Expect more console ports in the near future. Mods will be the only thing that save us now.

I liked Doom 3...in short bursts. Man that thing was dark, depressing, and disturbing after a point.

Is it an ATI issue or a game issue or both?

Both. The broken driver makes it... well, broken, but "mega-texturing" in itself is susceptible to the pop-in problem simply due to the huge amounts of texture data that's used. The game must constantly stream and LOD texture data from RAM/disc. It shouldn't be too bad on a PC though, based on what I saw of the 360 version (which has what a tenth of the VRAM, less RAM and slower disc?).

Both. The broken driver makes it... well, broken, but "mega-texturing" in itself is susceptible to the pop-in problem simply due to the huge amounts of texture data that's used. The game must constantly stream and LOD texture data from RAM/disc. It shouldn't be too bad on a PC though, based on what I saw of the 360 version (which has what a tenth of the VRAM, less RAM and slower disc?).

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037835229&postcount=206

^^ Could be helpful.

How true, how true it is! The idea that id software isn't well-off enough as a developer to purchase at least one ATi and nVidia 3d card of recent introduction to *test* RAGE on before release--is unbelievable.

Perhaps if it's unbelievable you shouldn't believe it? How were ID to test a game that went gold ages ago against drivers that AMD put out today?

There may well be issues beyond the broken AMD drivers, but clearly a few vocal people were hit with those and that's now dominating the 'outrage'.

Just to be clear, I don't mind people being vocal, but I prefer it when they're also not vocal about the wrong thing.

Oh calm down... If they don't fix it soon,

It should of never of been released in this state. Its not like its something rare that happens on a few systems, or a small bug that doesent effect gameplay. Its happening on ALL PC systems, and its not something they DIDNT know about BEFORE release. "Ship it now, patch it later" is KILLING PC gaming. Nobody is going to buy crap, and they will end of pirating it. Once its fixed, the people who pirated it arnt going to turn around and dump 60$ on a game they already beat.

It should of never of been released in this state. Its not like its something rare that happens on a few systems, or a small bug that doesent effect gameplay. Its happening on ALL PC systems, and its not something they DIDNT know about BEFORE release. "Ship it now, patch it later" is KILLING PC gaming. Nobody is going to buy crap, and they will end of pirating it. Once its fixed, the people who pirated it arnt going to turn around and dump 60$ on a game they already beat.

Speaking even in just general: You're right.

After playing 20 minutes last night, a quick nvidia driver update eliminated the pop-in almost entirely.

In the couple hours I've played, I've been having fun.

Rage doesn't suck. Unrealistic expectations do.

"Carmack only makes the engine", etc.

Blame Willits. He is responsible for the extreme crapness that Id games have been gameplay and setting-wise since Romero left. No-talent hack.

I don't hold Romero that high after Daikatana and this:

daikatana_gametap.jpg

Well the "ship it now, patch it later" attitude of developers isn't just happening to PC gaming. That's the order of the day on consoles. Many console games are receiving day one or launch week patches which are fairly significant in size and scope.

I don't hold Romero that high after Daikatana and this:

daikatana_gametap.jpg

Yeah it's hard to say that Romero was part of the "talent" at id when he pulls crap like Diakatana. He might be a talented programmer, but a good game designer he is not.

id died when Q3A died. Everyone else surpassed it at that point.

Sorry, thats the truth. At one point, Carmack and Romero were rock
stars. But like all rock stars, they die. They don't burn out, they don't
fade away, true rock stars just die.

Consider Rage Carmacks gravestone if you would.

Carmack created a great game engine. Bethesda decided to shit all over it by making an unoptimized crappy game.

^ Not true, megatexturing was only implemented because of consoles lack of memory. It works well for Xbox 360 with it's limited ram, but a guy like me with 12 gigs....come on now.

- the correct writing is 'id' in lower case (a reference to Sigmund Freud's id, ego and super ego) -- not 'ID' or 'iD';

I kind of group id and Raven together, just because they've co-developed a few things, but yes, I agree, two distinct companies. However, when people bring up Quake 4 and Doom 3, they're both id properties, while Quake IV was outsourced to Raven with id oversight. That one bothers me a lot less than the id thing. I'm with you on that one.

Carmack created a great game engine. Bethesda decided to shit all over it by making an unoptimized crappy game.

Uh you do realize Bethesda PUBLISHED Rage and not developed it right and that Rage was mostly done by the time id was bought?

Uh you do realize Bethesda PUBLISHED Rage and not developed it right and that Rage was mostly done by the time id was bought?

I love how so many people assume a game is trash because they see the word Bethesda/Bioware/EA anywhere on the product. :p

I agree with this. And the only star that has been able to stay relevant seems to be Gabe Newell.

Well the "ship it now, patch it later" attitude of developers isn't just happening to PC gaming. That's the order of the day on consoles. Many console games are receiving day one or launch week patches which are fairly significant in size and scope.

It happens a LOT less on Consoles for a few reasons.

#1, STRICT quality controle. MS, Sony and Nintendo run the games through a VERY VERY strict test before its released. There are quota's to meet in load time, and visual quality. If its not met, its "kicked" back. There is 0 forced quality controle on the PC. Its up to the dev to QC there own shit. Thats the fox guarding the hen coop with the wrong people pushing numbers on a spread-sheet.

#2, Limited resources on a console. PC patches I have seen in the hundreds of megs and GIGS in some cases for MMO's. Consol systems have very limited space. An old XB360 requirement was that you could not assume the user had a hard drive!!! That was removed only recently, so dev's had to get it right the first time, or the patch could only be VERY VERY small to fit on a thumb drive/memory card. This requirement is gone, but it all stems from cartridge and times when the console didnt know the internet existed. This mentality still exist's, but its erroding.

#3, On consoles, you only need to account for 1 or 2 sets of hardware. PC's have infinate configurations. AMD/Intel cpu, Nvidia/ATI video cards, motherboards, hard drives, sound cards, CD/DVD/BR drives. Its impossible for a developer to test every configuration possible, so bugs post launch are EXPECTED. Typically those bugs *should* be limited to a few odd configurations, or most noteably Laptop users who thing there intergrated Intel GPU should run every game on earth.

Game piracy is not helping the situation. Nobody likes to see there shit pirated, and it takes the wind out of the developers sails to see it on PB with 2 million downloads, but the consol version only has 40,000. As a game dev, I have first hand experience of seeing product sales be stable and good, up till the moment it hits PB. Then sales drop like a rock. You can track the drop in sales within 10 minutes of the torrent hitting the net, so dont try to feed me some BS about "Piracy doesent hurt sales".

There is no easy solutions other then locking down the PC like a consol, but nobody will ever allow that, and I dont think that even I would like it. The best solution right now is not to make a shitty game and hope people will want to pay for it.

No I didn't...with all their money why can't ID hire creative artists, level designers, programmers, etc. to make a decent game? They should just call Rage more of a tech demo of the game engine, but then again from the reviews even that wouldn't be a good idea. :(

It happens a LOT less on Consoles for a few reasons.

#1, STRICT quality controle. MS, Sony and Nintendo run the games through a VERY VERY strict test before its released. There are quota's to meet in load time, and visual quality. If its not met, its "kicked" back. There is 0 forced quality controle on the PC. Its up to the dev to QC there own shit. Thats the fox guarding the hen coop with the wrong people pushing numbers on a spread-sheet.

#2, Limited resources on a console. PC patches I have seen in the hundreds of megs and GIGS in some cases for MMO's. Consol systems have very limited space. An old XB360 requirement was that you could not assume the user had a hard drive!!! That was removed only recently, so dev's had to get it right the first time, or the patch could only be VERY VERY small to fit on a thumb drive/memory card. This requirement is gone, but it all stems from cartridge and times when the console didnt know the internet existed. This mentality still exist's, but its erroding.

#3, On consoles, you only need to account for 1 or 2 sets of hardware. PC's have infinate configurations. AMD/Intel cpu, Nvidia/ATI video cards, motherboards, hard drives, sound cards, CD/DVD/BR drives. Its impossible for a developer to test every configuration possible, so bugs post launch are EXPECTED. Typically those bugs *should* be limited to a few odd configurations, or most noteably Laptop users who thing there intergrated Intel GPU should run every game on earth.

Game piracy is not helping the situation. Nobody likes to see there shit pirated, and it takes the wind out of the developers sails to see it on PB with 2 million downloads, but the consol version only has 40,000. As a game dev, I have first hand experience of seeing product sales be stable and good, up till the moment it hits PB. Then sales drop like a rock. You can track the drop in sales within 10 minutes of the torrent hitting the net, so dont try to feed me some BS about "Piracy doesent hurt sales".

There is no easy solutions other then locking down the PC like a consol, but nobody will ever allow that, and I dont think that even I would like it. The best solution right now is not to make a shitty game and hope people will want to pay for it.

Strict quality control? Bull. Sony, MS, and Nintendo only make sure the game meets specific requirements. They don't care how good a game works as long as it meets those requirements. Hell look at Fallout: New Vegas it was just as buggy on consoles.

Yeah it's hard to say that Romero was part of the "talent" at id when he pulls crap like Diakatana. He might be a talented programmer, but a good game designer he is not.

john is a great designer. not a great producer. that was his problem at ion storm.

its not just romero though, they need both romero and american together as designers. they also need brian hook back in programming. they havent been the same since they lost him.

personally i blame hollenshead for all of id's problems. he was a terrible ceo.

Strict quality control? Bull. Sony, MS, and Nintendo only make sure the game meets specific requirements. They don't care how good a game works as long as it meets those requirements. Hell look at Fallout: New Vegas it was just as buggy on consoles.

Isent meeting spacific requirements a form of QC? If the testers find bugs, its kicked back. They dont care if the game plays or looks good. ITs still a hell of a lot more QC then PC games get.

Isent meeting spacific requirements a form of QC? If the testers find bugs, its kicked back. They dont care if the game plays or looks good. ITs still a hell of a lot more QC then PC games get.

No. MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't care if the game is good or not buggy as long it hits those requirements. Like I said Fallout New Vegas is proof of this.

No. MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't care if the game is good or not buggy as long it hits those requirements. Like I said Fallout New Vegas is proof of this.

Sorry FNV somehow slipped through the cracks, but I have been on games that have been kicked back many many times. A buggy ass console game is very bad publicity for your console. A buggy ass PC game is bad publicity for the developer. Overall, console games are infinitly less buggy then the PC. I never played FNV on the consol, so I cant say your full of shit or not, but I know FNV was totally unplayable on the PC when it was released. Im sure there may have been a few small bugs on the console, but if it didnt keep the player from progressing through the critical path then it wasent nearly as bad as the PC.

Sorry FNV somehow slipped through the cracks, but I have been on games that have been kicked back many many times. A buggy ass game is very bad publicity for your console. A buggy ass game is bad publicity for the developer. Overall, console games are infinitly less buggy then the PC. I never played FNV on the consol, so I cant say your full of shit or not, but I know FNV was totally unplayable on the PC when it was released. Im sure there may have been a few small bugs on the console, but if it didnt keep the player from progressing through the critical path then it wasent nearly as bad as the PC.

I'm going by what people have said about New Vegas on consoles. I recall someone either a dev or someone on the press side saying it should never have launched in the state it was in.

I agree with this. And the only star that has been able to stay relevant seems to be Gabe Newell.

Which is ironic because Gaben get's so much shit from the community because of his weight. I just hope Newell stays fat so that he stays humble, and hopefully Valve will continue to atleast put out decent PC games, despite them not putting out a huge hit since Episode 2.

Once Valve slips, then we know PC gaming will need some sort of revolutionary developer to step up to the plate.

I'm going by what people have said about New Vegas on consoles. I recall someone either a dev or someone on the press side saying it should never have launched in the state it was in.

So your statements are based from what you read people say, and my statements are based from personal experience as someone who has had to deal with it. I concead to your superiority. I should of never of challenged you. I retract everything I have said!!!

P.s. I hope you understand my sarcasm. ;)

So your statements are based from what you read people say, and my statements are based from personal experience as someone who has had to deal with it. I concead to your superiority. I should of never of challenged you. I retract everything I have said!!!

P.s. I hope you understand my sarcasm. ;)

I wasn't doubting your experience, just explaining why I brought up NV.

You tried creating a cache directory like in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc

Pretty retarded the game can't do that itself..

What card you trying it on? Ati drivers arent coming till later today, they messed the upload up with older ogl files.
The cache file thing is weird. Must be a bug. Wonder if it would help having that on a ram drive. Also, GPU trans code = Cuda I've read, which on Nvidia cards can accelerate the swap of low res to high res textures.

The same guy has gameplay recorded. He has a GTX 570. I see zero texture popin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gikWlnHJLY&feature=channel_video_title I believe it's game play recorded with the tweaks he mentioned.

Last edited:
With all the community having to fix up games like Dead Island and now this one. Makes me wonder if these developers are shipping their games with bugs and lack of options to gauge how clever PC gamers are at jumping over these obstacles.

Sorry FNV somehow slipped through the cracks, but I have been on games that have been kicked back many many times. A buggy ass console game is very bad publicity for your console. A buggy ass PC game is bad publicity for the developer. Overall, console games are infinitly less buggy then the PC. I never played FNV on the consol, so I cant say your full of shit or not, but I know FNV was totally unplayable on the PC when it was released. Im sure there may have been a few small bugs on the console, but if it didnt keep the player from progressing through the critical path then it wasent nearly as bad as the PC.

People keep saying Stalker, FNV, Oblivion, Dead Island, etc... were unplayable at release... I bought all of these games launch day and never had an issue through the entire game.

Then again, I run a dedicated gaming rig that gets minimal changes. People should try that some time, as well as finding the enterainment IN games rather than trying to be entertained BY them.

Back