Rage sucks

but ffs it took them 6 years to develop a texture popping engine? did we go back in time 5 years or something where hardware sucked ass..

And people wonder why there is piracy.

Why does this have to do with piracy? If it's good enough to play, then it's good enough to pay. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth playing. This is just a hallow excuse to justify douchebaggery.

You don't need to pirate to figure out if something is worth playing. You just need to be smart enough to not jump on every fucking hype train that rolls by. The decision to purchase a game doesn't have to be made before release. The game will still be there a few days later.

You could have been smart like a lot of us and actually, you know, remembered what kind of games they make, and therefore expected a linear bargain bin shooter using technological trickery to do things otherwise impossible or unlikely with current hardware. ID worship because of their technical achievements always made me lol, because they cannot make a good computer game (commander keen not withstanding), and RAGE is no exception.

Seriously, Doom was only good because of its technical achievements and because there was no competition at the time.

I hate to do this, but I have to stick up for ID..... historically anyway. Let's not forget that Wolfenstein was pretty much the very first FPS (please correct me if I am wrong on that....). Also, I think that Quake was the first FPS to use a 360 degree view of environments. ID was once one of the most innovative companies out there IMO. They just got too big for their britches and now they pretty much suck.

I do have a lot of fond memories playing Quake 3 though.... good times, good times.

Looking forward to more firsthand experience points of view good or bad.

OMG ATI PPL READ THIS!!

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

CatalystCreator Andrew D
New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today
31 minutes ago
Andrew D
CatalystCreator Andrew D
All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.
32 minutes ago

ATI Screwed up!!!

I hate to do this, but I have to stick up for ID..... historically anyway. Let's not forget that Wolfenstein was pretty much the very first FPS (please correct me if I am wrong on that....). Also, I think that Quake was the first FPS to use a 360 degree view of environments. ID was once one of the most innovative companies out there IMO. They just got too big for their britches and now they pretty much suck.

I do have a lot of fond memories playing Quake 3 though.... good times, good times.

You made my point for me. Technology, and no competition. Take any ID game and you can find clones/similar games that were made afterwards or about the same time using the same engine/similar engine that were far better, sometimes published by ID but never "made by" them. I was there for the very first CK shareware, so I sort of have the history and experience for this.

Wolf3D? BLAKE FUCKING STONE
Doom? HERETIC, RISE OF THE TRIAD, HEXEN
Quake? HALF-LIFE
Quake 2? SIN, SOF
Quake 3? THERE ARE ENTIRELY WAY TOO MANY TO LIST

There is a similar story with the Unreal series but personally I always thought the Unreal games were even blander than ID games, but with more versatile technology behind them. Of PC gaming history's "great games" the ratio of ID engine to Unreal-anything engine games is probably at least 6:1 if not higher. Seriously, go do some research if you didn't live through it.

Take the rest of the whiners with you, please.

So you've been pleased with the sub-par state of PC gaming? 60 dollars for broken software? C'mon.

If more people bitched, maybe the industry would listen instead of getting positive feedback for shitty games by company fanboys and dickriders.

but ffs it took them 6 years to develop a texture popping engine? did we go back in time 5 years or something where hardware sucked ass..

Kyle: "I think id Software should have a long time ago fired all the creative employees and gone into the middleware business. I think the PC gaming industry would have been better for this overall. God knows Epic left much to be desired with its engines on the PC side."

Kyle likes their engine more than Epic's. I didn't buy Rage so I have no idea, but he seems to like the engine side of it.

I think your feelings are hurt and you're telling me I'm hating. That's what people do when their feelings are hurts. It's ok. I understand.

When did I specifically tell you that you were doing anything? Never in my entire life. That's when.

Well I was kinda on the fence but Portal 2 just went on sale for 14.99 so paying 59.99 for this just seems silly in comparison.

Let's not forget that Wolfenstein was pretty much the very first FPS (please correct me if I am wrong on that....). Also, I think that Quake was the first FPS to use a 360 degree view of environments. ID was once one of the most innovative companies out there IMO.

Those were good days, and good times. Running an IPX emulator to play competitively up to the Doom 2 days on BBS's. Then finally TCP support with Quake. Having to buy a TCP/IP stack, or buy the productivity pack that included TCP/IP stack for Windows. QuakeWorld dropping TCP for UDP. Add finally that Quake had the best command of all +mlook 1. This changed everything.

And is the very reason as to why I am not very pleased with what I am experiencing with my day one purchase of Rage. Rage so far is not a good product, and has yet to entertain me. But yes, they are the Gods of the very industry; as how Tolkien is with fantasy and roleplaying games.

Remember when Doom 3 came out and everybody was like: "it has no story", "it has no content", "it is just monsters jumping out from the shadows and cheap scares like a bad horror movie", etc? But the fancy graphics at the time made people turn a blind eye to it.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that this is the case again...except we don't have any hint of groundbreaking graphics to polish the turd. As Carmack said, this was designed to run on consoles 6 years ago when they first started out.

ID were innovators 20 years ago but I don't get why people keep hanging on their past laurels when nothing has really changed. What game have they ever made with any story or wasn't a mess of darkness and muddy brownness? They continue to be relevant because of all the liscencees of their engines who actually make real games with them.

Last edited:
The game is working out of the box @ 6048x1080 eyefinity for me. CF is not yet working and the HUD is not yet centered, but other than that it's working fine. I was surprised when the game booted up find in eyefinity.

I feel like everyone needs to calm down. I'm sure the game will be fine once it gets patched up.

Take a look @ ShuttleLuv's post history. I was going to quote it here, but that's mean. I think he's having a bad night.

By Eyefinity ready, I am referring to not only the resolution, but centered HUD and menus that are normal in size.
if you look at this game, it will display in EF, but the HUD is wrong, and the directional map is not even on the screen, if I recall.:p

Wow this sucks, I bought the game and i cant get it to play, First tiem i loaded it a box popped up and says Rage stopped working, Next time i got a blue screen, Reset my PC tried to load it and another blue screen.
My setup is
3 6970 cards in Tri-Fire Cat 11.8's as well as the new Betas they both crash
Windows 64 ultimate
8 gigs of ram

The texture popping is inexcusable, I am not impressed. Just launched the game for the first time myself, and I can confirm the texture popping is horrendous.

Why did it take you $60 to figure that out... i only had to watch one gameplay trailer...

MegaTextures my arse, more like MegaDelayLaggyTextures.

Sorry, if this new way of streaming in textures is the future, I don't want it, I'd rather have smooth textures everywhere I turn in the game, as fast as I want, with no visible texture loading and popping, i.e., what games have been doing for years, before this.

Sorry, if this new way of streaming in textures is the future, I don't want it, I'd rather have smooth textures everywhere I turn in the game, as fast as I want, with no visible texture loading and popping, i.e., what games have been doing for years, before this.

Is it an ATI issue or a game issue or both?

You tried creating a cache directory like in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc

Pretty retarded the game can't do that itself..

What card you trying it on? Ati drivers arent coming till later today, they messed the upload up with older ogl files.

The texture popping is inexcusable, I am not impressed. Just launched the game for the first time myself, and I can confirm the texture popping is horrendous.

which graphics card are you testing it with?...seems like less issues with Nvidia cards

my pre-order is set to arrive later today...I'm thinking about refusing delivery and getting a full refund

I think your feelings are hurt and you're telling me I'm hating. That's what people do when their feelings are hurts. It's ok. I understand.

Why would my feelings be hurt?

I haven't played the game one bit yet.

What I do not care for is people bashing something with no first hand experience or fact base to draw from. It's just crowd mentality, piling on, or whatever you want to label it.

I am not directing this squarely at you personally, but you seem very passionate that this game sucks and is nothing innovative without even trying it out.

I based my suck award to DukeNukem by being pulled by nostalgia, not by common sense, it sucked.
Dead Island, in my humble opinion is much the same, but more fueled by technical failure.

Rage IS a first-person shooter, it's hard to make it overly innovative. That said I'm going to wait until I actually play the game to condemn it or stand up on a soapbox about it's shortcommings.

Wow this sucks, I bought the game and i cant get it to play, First tiem i loaded it a box popped up and says Rage stopped working, Next time i got a blue screen, Reset my PC tried to load it and another blue screen.
My setup is
3 6970 cards in Tri-Fire Cat 11.8's as well as the new Betas they both crash
Windows 64 ultimate
8 gigs of ram

Try to disable Crossfire, there is no profile.
Wait for the new drivers later today as pointed out in a post above.

does the game create the cache folder if u run as admin?

or it just doesnt

Yea, I don't think I've had to shelf a game since FarCry 2. I so wish I could get a refund.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

the Godfather of the First person shooter relegated to making shitty console ports.

for shame.

PC games died with the invention of the 3d accelerator. Instead of bringing PC gamer's into a virtual game world, we got power ups, rail style game play and levels designed around a game controller, instead of a keyboard and mouse.
I enjoy 3d visuals very much, but great visuals do not make a great game.
Back in the day, buying a PC game was an event! The box art, the floppy disks, the huge manual and tons of goodies in there, like opening a Christmas gift :D
PC Games were built around game-play and story, not graphics and cross platform compatibility. PC Game developers, expected more from the player and the player expected more from the developer.
Look at all the powerful hardware PC gamer's have for programmers to utilize.
Instead, we get games developed for children with ADD.

Back