Rage sucks

Nope, it's not. You must be new to PC gaming.
Not sure if serious. But if so, that's a seriously horrible situation.

It's up to software makers to make sure what they're programming works on the systems it will be used on. Otherwise (in this instance) AMD will be perpetually behind, struggling to release driver after driver to work with every new game that comes out, and constantly breaking the old ones.

I share your feelings

I also agree here. I'm still reserving judgement until I get the new AMD drivers on, tweak the game settings, and play the actual game, (since I've played 20 minutes of glitchtown) However, this is totally sound reasoning. I'm hoping tweaking those settings posted earlier (or a link to them anyway,) will reduce some of this sort of thing even more than just updating the drivers.

This happened a bit on other MegaTexture games. ET:QW does it a bit, but it's a lot faster, and less noticeable (almost not at all these days,) due to newer hardware, smaller textures than RAGE, etc.

^ Not true, megatexturing was only implemented because of consoles lack of memory. It works well for Xbox 360 with it's limited ram, but a guy like me with 12 gigs....come on now.
Wrong, and that statement proves that you just don't know anything about megatexturing and what it does. The purpose of megatexturing is to allow the game to use extremely large textures and display them over a big area, rather than using small textures and tiling them over and over again like most game engines do. It has nothing to do with limited memory; if you have more memory, you can still store more texture data in it, and you'll be able to use higher-resolution textures than a system with less memory.

I personally liked Enslaved: Odyssey to the West's version of post-post-apocolyptic Earth. It was quite incredible.

I say anyone who is as pissed at id about RAGE send all their physical media (if they have it) and have [H] shoot THOSE with the 50 CAL Rifle they used to shoot the hard drives with... do it in ID's parking lot in front of all those Lambo's, etc.

I personally liked Enslaved: Odyssey to the West's version of post-post-apocolyptic Earth. It was quite incredible.

Just checked that out too. Nice! That's definitely another take on it, and a cool one. The overgrown-plants took over, greenhouse-climate version. Cool as well. I was really only trying to argue the point of context above.

(along the lines of Doom 3 looks the same through the whole game, and it's a corridor shooter) Well, yes, it's on a cramped Mars installation inhabited mostly by science personnel. So, pretty much perfect. :D And, seeing shades of brown and grey in a desert wasteland...

Hey guys, are we supposed to be getting nVidia drivers too to fix issues or is nVidia mostly working ok?

I get home in 2 hours and want to check this out.

Here's a tasty treat for the oldschool among us. Only somewhat related to this thread (because of the earlier references by Kyle to the Carmack/ATI conspiracy... "greets to our suppliers I.D. and Sierra"... and because it's so butt fucking funny).

GENTLEMEN, THE BEST ATI RELEASE OF 2003:

41x4N.gif

Well I'm glad I didn't buy this game after reading the problems everyone is having. It's less than $30 on the cd key websites and I won't touch it for that lol!

Sigh... looks good from mid-distant... close up.. blocky.. Doom3 looks about the same as far as picture quality.

Playability: Wow.. sigh... You can tell it's a port.. mouse control needs some help
Game: Animation of characters... fail.... Really.. Necomids??? crawling up the sides of the metal stair case in the sewers is atrocious... I couldn't help but chuckle at the movements.. C&C:TW has better animation with a zoomed in camera...

Summary: Waste of $60 bucks.. don't do it...

Not sure if serious. But if so, that's a seriously horrible situation.

It's up to software makers to make sure what they're programming works on the systems it will be used on. Otherwise (in this instance) AMD will be perpetually behind, struggling to release driver after driver to work with every new game that comes out, and constantly breaking the old ones.

You described the situation pretty well

so new AMD drivers for the game but what about for Nvidia users?...they're also experiencing the same issues (although maybe not as severely)...any word on new Nvidia drivers?

so new AMD drivers for the game but what about for Nvidia users?...they're also experiencing the same issues (although maybe not as severely)...any word on new Nvidia drivers?

with edits (though edits that should not have to be done) like enabling the cache directory and vertical sync/triple buffering you should beable to get it to where the texture popping is amost not an issue regardless of brand.

Holy over reaction thread! Rofl.
qft

WOW, holy jesus that's awful.

Major texture pop in, you can tell this game was optimised for controllers turning the view at a certain speed and not a mouse that has proper freedom of movement, I have major artifacts all over the place and the icing on the cake is that the FOV is so small that it's practically unusable.

Well........... shit. Looks like I'll pass on this... for now. I'm replaying a lot of older games now with the lack of good new ones... a least they all run smooth as butter on my hardware. :)

Holy hell, why do I keep buying these games? Should have know ID was going to drop another turd, yet here I am back to buy again! The fail is on us users for not learning our lesson the last time ID sent out a big stinking pile of poo.

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred. It's almost like he/they (JC/Id) ate your babies. Sometimes I think some gamers are as much a problem as the industry is. The sad but painful truth.

WOW, holy jesus that's awful.

Major texture pop in, you can tell this game was optimised for controllers turning the view at a certain speed and not a mouse that has proper freedom of movement, I have major artifacts all over the place and the icing on the cake is that the FOV is so small that it's practically unusable.
I remember when they announced this game they were praising consoles and how much better it would play using a controller. I laughed then and I'm laughing even more now.;)

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred. It's almost like he/they (JC/Id) ate your babies. Sometimes I think some gamers are as much a problem as the industry is. The sad but painful truth.

Disclaimer - I don't own Rage and have not played it.

That being said, why is the outRage :)D) so surprising? It's a AAAA title hyped to hell, with glowing reviews from a the usual suspects which were very misleading, and its a disappointment to most people, and esp to pc gamers who rightfully feel that id of all companies should not have published a crappy console port.

They are basically counting on pre-orders and day 1 sales made on id's name alone to make their profits.

Disclaimer - I don't own Rage and have not played it.

That being said, why is the outRage :)D) so surprising? It's a AAAA title hyped to hell, with glowing reviews from a the usual suspects which were very misleading, and its a disappointment to most people, and esp to pc gamers who rightfully feel that id of all companies should not have published a crappy console port.

They are basically counting on pre-orders and day 1 sales made on id's name alone to make their profits.

Guarantee that about 80% of the people in this thread bashing have not actually played the game. Most people have already made up their minds before they even play a game, and find threads like these as good release for their blue nerd rage balls.

hhahaha I wonder how many of you were fanboys and little over-anxious, over-excited, over-thrilled little girls before the release

edit: and how many of those people spent $45+ on the game

How ironic that I find myself playing the original Crysis on my 360 instead of RAGE on my PC. I'm not trying to troll or anything, I promise. I'm just so disgusted at this shoddy console port.

No graphics setting?! WTF? I'm going to let my computer decide how I want to play this game?! FU Carmack! You might have taken my $60.00, but it cost you my respect.

Hey Kyle,

Can we unban RAGEon in lei of those whole mess? I think its only fitting :) Carmack stole all of our rage and duped us! Yay broken game and drivers. This would be a PERFECT case of a demo being released so we can test stuff out before blowing money away

For some reason this game never really caught my eye, but with all the attention lately I thought about it. Glad I wasn't looking forward to it though, damn, what a disappointment. Thanks for the heads up anyway. That money is going to BF3, and I'll just keep playing the beta for now.

well i see the huge problem about this game.

the textures are not detail enough when going close to it.

it looks great at a distance but close up it sucks

I thought I read a blip from Carmack where he stated that he would be releasing a high res texture pack for the game at a later date ala Crysis 2...it will also add the Advanced Graphics options PC gamers expect...am I crazy or is that the plan?

Back