Rage sucks

This game is a turd made by people who sold out to the consoles.
From a technical POV it sucked
The ending sucked
The weapons remind me of quake2

There's absolutely no reason to worship a has been like Carmack anymore.

This game looks and feels like a dumbed down FO3.

Just absolutely mindblowingly terrible. Carmack and friends should be ashamed. Before I beat this game Borderlands was the top dog on crappy endings. This one takes the crown for sure.

At least that gave me quality DLC to continue things on through. Borderlands did "this" WAY better. I love that game.

Did this game have a story?

Did doom/quake have a story? Seriously try and write the plot that took place during either game using more than 2 paragraphs? :p Neither game had an end movie either. Quake 3 didn't even try to have a story beyond one sentance "there are these aliens that got a load of people and made them fight in a arena with this system that kept reviving them when they died". Yet people like that game. :D

The weapons remind me of quake2

This is a bad thing? :confused:

Did this game have a story?

The ending is honestly one of the worst "screw yous" to gamers I can recall in at least recent memory but then again that's all too fitting a capstone to this project at least as far PC gamers are concerned since that's the message I got from id from start to finish.
Can't remember an id software game that had a story or at least something that had any depth to it. But the sad thing is that their production quality now appears to have gone in the crapper for the sake of profits. Carmack jumping on the console bandwagon is sacrilege.

I think that upsample patch is coming soon. If I understand what he is trying to say, on Carmack's Twitter he is talking about difficulty compressing 16k textures. I'm guessing they have successfully upsampled the textures to reduce blurriness and aliasing.

Thanks ShuttleLuv for your expressive game update. Thought about buying this game, well I guess not until it's at $9 on Newegg. At least you directed your anger on a post and not on your PC or person.

I am not a avid gamer but once and awhile I will buy a good game at full price. Not this one!

No one really cares about this game anymore...long live RAGEEEEE

Pretty much has dropped off the radar hasn't it. I held off from buying it at launch because I assumed it would have 3-4 DLC packs over the next year. I was planning on waiting for a GOTY edition sometime late next year, early the year after. However, with how hated this game seems to be by the majority, I am not certain whether they will bother will future DLC on the PC for this title.

If they fix a few things I may still buy it when it hits the $10 bin. If not, oh well, I have better things to do with my time.

the latest AMD patches (yesterday) fixed the texture corruption problems I had with the game. Fuck if I am going to play it though, I'd rather keep playing skyrim.

Seems kind of crappy to hold the patch for everyone waiting on AMD when you can just drop your favorite AMD opengl dll in the main folder or they can release an official hotfix driver. ID is giving pc gamers the finger cuz their still mad at AMD....jeeez

I picked up this game last month. I'm not going to say it sucks, but it really hasn't held my interest. I guess I'm either spoiled or jaded, but I find it somewhat boring.

Waiting on Batman Arkham City to be available on Steam.

I picked it up about a week ago, and I'm loving it. I used this: guide and this one. I'm having a blast. You guys are just haters. Yeah the blurry textures suck when you're up close, but they look great otherwise with a couple of exceptions. The gameplay is fun, I LOVE the shotgun, the animations, the level design. IF and WHEN they do come out with a "high texture" pack, it'll be even better. I think that everyone expected TOO much from id, and feel that they didn't deliver. I grew up with id games, and this feels like an id game, plays like an id game, and has an awesome SHOTGUN like an id game. Everyone wanted a "2011" game, and got a 2004 game with 2011 graphics slapped on it.

It looks like it's $30 at Amazon for a hard copy but it was on Steam for $30 yesterday and I bought it then even though I already played it. ¬_¬

I think it feels really solid; I didn't have any trouble with it when it was released. I'm hoping the online play is good.

The shotgun is definitely nice; I mostly used it throughout the game, especially for the faster enemies.

I cannot believe this game is still not below $30. You could get BF3 and Batman AC for that price this week, games more solid by leaps and bounds and technologically sound.

played BF3, I like single player better, so Rage is win for me. Batman is fun, I'm playing between Rage and AC. Both great games. I'll get into BF3 more when I get the itch to play MP.

I picked it up about a week ago, and I'm loving it. I used this: guide and this one. I'm having a blast. You guys are just haters. Yeah the blurry textures suck when you're up close, but they look great otherwise with a couple of exceptions. The gameplay is fun, I LOVE the shotgun, the animations, the level design. IF and WHEN they do come out with a "high texture" pack, it'll be even better. I think that everyone expected TOO much from id, and feel that they didn't deliver. I grew up with id games, and this feels like an id game, plays like an id game, and has an awesome SHOTGUN like an id game. Everyone wanted a "2011" game, and got a 2004 game with 2011 graphics slapped on it.

yeah I agree with everything you've said here... I've actually been enjoying RAGE, I just didn't expect too much from it and it hasn't disappointed :)

The textures and advanced features in both said games are leaps and bounds beyond Rage, with it's static lighting, no shadows, and horrible horrible textures. Thats the truth though.

I agree with you on the textures, but if they ever release a texture pack, it'll look better. That is the only thing I don't like. Games come with static lighting, it's a shortcut all devs use. Rage has both. I personally like static shadows with some dynamic ones. I'd rather look at sharp shadows than jagged shadows everywhere. This game is still a blast though, It's a purchase I don't regret at all.

Yeah such an innovative game they even reused some levels the dead city or whatever it was called, then all the way back exact same path etc... cant believe it took them 7 years and the ending is like a LOST ending or whatever... to be continued..:rolleyes:

Seems kind of crappy to hold the patch for everyone waiting on AMD when you can just drop your favorite AMD opengl dll in the main folder or they can release an official hotfix driver. ID is giving pc gamers the finger cuz their still mad at AMD....jeeez

I don't think they want any more BS and would rather make sure the product is completely stable for everyone at launch.

That being said, picked up the Anarchy Edition on Black Friday for $30, installing now.

It looks like they are blaming AMD to try and keep from getting even more egg on their face. Would be interesting to know what it is about AMD's drivers which id is complaining about.

File structure of the game folder is nice and neat. All the config'ing is neatly organized and cleanly labelled. That's always been one nice thing about id, especially compared to something like UE3 based games with all their CookedPC and jumbo .ini bs.

Looks like about about 5.5gb each of textures between both the MP/SP assets but I've still got another disk to go. I like how the texture files are laid out as well, should actually make deploying the new patch pretty easy, at least from the engine level.

I remember reading an article about how Carmack was streamlining their development process to make it more efficient, looks like it's been working.

so they're waiting for AMD to release Catalyst 11.12 before releasing the big patch?...so Nvidia users have to wait for ATI to get its **** together?

so they're waiting for AMD to release Catalyst 11.12 before releasing the big patch?...so Nvidia users have to wait for ATI to get its **** together?

It takes AMD time to clean up that staming pile of crap that is called rage......

*goes back to playing Batman Arkham City that actually works well with ATi single CPU......

Is ID even still supporting this game? Only one patch and that was it, other than that, nothing.

The texture popping is just unacceptable, god knows why whats taking ID so long to fix this, if ever.

Well, I am playing this game and it does not suck as much as the hate it got. It has some great things going for it (art design for example) but then the shooting mechanics seem extremely bad and guns don't really pack a punch except shotgun. Also going back and forth between areas is really tedious with respawns of bandits that pisses me off. I hate respawning in general and this game has it in bucketloads.

Good news is game runs flawlessly now, no texture streaming, AF or AA issues. Looks fantastic barring the low resolution textures galore. :rolleyes:

Is ID even still supporting this game? Only one patch and that was it, other than that, nothing.

The texture popping is just unacceptable, god knows why whats taking ID so long to fix this, if ever.
Yes they are. There is another patch in the work that is going to help with the low resolution textures. As for the pop in, that really depends. I have zero pop in on my system, but I have an SSD which helps a ton with this game. Also enabling GPU transcode helps too if you have an Nvidia GPU.

I have zero pop in with an ATi card and 11.11a drivers. Also set everything to App controlled in CCC and set highest AA, AF in game. Finally, I used a command line option but don't remember what exactly to help improve pop in. Result. Zero texture streaming.

I have zero pop in with an ATi card and 11.11a drivers. Also set everything to App controlled in CCC and set highest AA, AF in game. Finally, I used a command line option but don't remember what exactly to help improve pop in. Result. Zero texture streaming.

I had the same experience, game was a mess on day 1, but the first patch + AMD hotfix drivers fixed it all for me, about 5-6 cfg tweaks later to fix the rest of the shit in game and it was playable.

I figured ATI would get its problems sorted eventually. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to fix the actual gameplay or terri-bad textures. I just don't understand how the mega texture idea even got out of POC. It's pretty clear that it's only minor improvement in an area where the human brain isn't necessarily trained to notice. It's also a massive trade off in terms of texture quality for texture quantity. We are not conditioned to put a quantitative value on the number of unique textures. We are very conditioned to assign a qualitative value based on resolution.

I'm glad I didn't waste my money on Carmac's latest computer science experiment. I imagine it will be pretty cheap around Xmas time. I'll grab it up then and get my fill of classic shooter.

It's pretty clear it is possible to innovate yourself into a corner. At the very least, I'm sure he learned something from this. Once the industry moves to a point cloud based look up system, this will be obsolete tech anyway. Ultimately, your monitor can only show you one color for every physical pixel. Wrapping all of this up in to human interpretation of polygons with an overlaid texture makes the process less efficient. Certainly, the computer only needs to know the coordinates of the pixel to show and what color it should be. Beyond the development stage, consumer computers really don't require packaged textures of any kind. We are beyond the days of aliasing being a major problem. Middle-ware is what is holding our computers back. Speed hasn't been an issue for a long time. However, if they continue making slower and more convoluted middle-ware, they can continue to sell you faster hardware to cope.

Ya he learned something all right, he is going to focus on consoles now. ><

Maybe he will just not make a PC port next time since so many die hard PC enthusiast take the stance that they'd rather no port than one that isn't well done. And who in their right mind could blame him.

Maybe he will just not make a PC port next time since so many die hard PC enthusiast take the stance that they'd rather no port than one that isn't well done. And who in their right mind could blame him.

Wouldn't bother me in the least....There is a lot of money to be made in pc gaming if done right and there will always be game companies new and current that will step up to take their place...If your not going to do it right don't bitch because we aren't buying your $60 consolized crap games...don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Ya he learned something all right, he is going to focus on consoles now. ><

I can't say I care. id hasn't made a good game since Quake III. Doom 3 isn't as bad as people tend to make it out to be, but it's definitely subpar given the companies excellent track record up to that point. Pretty much everything after Doom 3 was terrible.

Oh I'm not complaining mind you and I agree everything after Doom 3 sucked with Rage being the worse.

Back