Rage sucks

I can't believe I'm wasting my breath here ... I'm sure this troll won't read a thing I have to say ... but I'm going to do it anyway.

Actually, id software is interested in making as much money as possible (since they are first and foremost a business). You don't do that by making games for just PC, or just consoles, or just phones - you make an engine that works on everything. PC gaming will never rule the roost again. Get over it.

Gee, really - id software is a business? They're in business to make money? Next I suppose you'll tell me that the Pope is *gasp* Catholic! Thank everything holy we have your sheer genius around to point this out to us.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of companies that make money selling just PC games, and more still that can make games that work on PC @ release, and still look good on PC (ex: Deus Ex: HR) and release them on 360/PS3 too.

Point me to a game engine that "works on everything" - you can't. Smartphones/tablets are not yet at the point where games can just be ported to them as you would to/from PC: the engine has to be at least heavily modified, performance isn't there, plus interface/control issues. Show me any game released on phones and consoles and PCs. Ignorance FTW.

Sure, people will complain that their favorite platform (PC) doesn't get the love it used to. I see more people just complaining that Rage sucks, and that id can't make a game worth $60 with six freaking years of dev time.

I signed up just to sound off on this thread. What a bunch of children you are... I have met six year olds that have less warped worldviews.

Gee, thanks for signing up to contribute absolutely nothing to this thread and to the [H]. Just because you don't understand why people are upset and/or can't empathize does NOT mean that mean that upset peeps have "warped" worldviews. People here are dedicated PC gamers and it frosts them to see their favorite format being given the big fat middle finger by long revered PC developer id.

Trying to get your money back from Bethesda because of day one bugs... is that seriously the guy who runs this website? Have you only been playing PC games for three months? Did no one here suffer through the first five or six versions of DirectX? What about random Dos4gw crashes back when Duke Nukem 3D was new? Remember the good old days when game crashes would hard lock the computer and then take two minutes to boot back up again? Oh, wait, back then even if the computer didn't hard lock you still had to reboot, only difference was you could do it with ctrl+alt+del instead of your reset button.

If you had a point here, it didn't make it. The state of Rage upon release is simply unacceptable for a $60 game, even if it doesn't crash.

So a game has some buggy textures and drive profiles and cfg file fixes are already coming out to alleviate these problems. It runs silky smooth and is not demanding on your hardware. You can play through the game start to finish without getting dumped to the desktop - its not a good game, but I'm not sure how you could expect a good game from [id] these days anyway... there is a full decade between now and the '90s.

So, wait - it's OK to complain about the game now?

You want your money back, even though you knew full well when you bought it you had no legal recourse to get a refund.

Proof that you are an idiot. Kyle does not need his $60 back (even though he deserves it), he personally/the site can afford it. He's making a point: if you pay $60 for a game from a major publisher, you should expect it to work (at least reasonably) well on day one, not to half-work by modifying cvars on day five.

This 30 page temper tantrum from you guys is beautiful. I don't see why anyone would support an audience as vitriolic and unreasonable as you guys are. If I was a Battlefield 3 community manager, I would have gone on a shooting rampage at the nearest LAN party. If I was John Carmack, I'd use my next developer keynote to call out the "PC enthusiast" community for what they are - a bunch of bitchy, unreasonable neckbearded geeks, and then I'd make my next game a 2D Commander Keen sequel with the iPhone as the lead platform. If I was Gabe Newell, I would delay Half Life 3 another five years because this community simply does not deserve nice things.

First off, there were 15 pages when you posted, not 30. We're not asking id to "support our audience" - we're asking them to make a decent freaking game that works as it should, and we gave them six years to do it. We're passionate, not vitriolic, and asking for a decent game on PC (from a PC developer no less!) is not unreasonable. If you don't like PC gaming fans, go somewhere else. It's the "we don't give a shit" console kiddies that give us crap games like this in the first place. PC gamers are smart enough not to buy them.

So is the game itself bad or is it the bugs and glitches that are making it bad.. and once fixed the game will be good? I pre ordered the game on Steam but I didn't pre-load and I'm thinking of using my "one time only per account" refund on Rage... unless there is actually a good game here once the problems are ironed out.

I really believe in this case (unlike Crysis 2), high res textures will improve the immersion of the game. Currently there is such a discrepency between textures that it takes away from the game. I am going to have to try that 8k texture fix when I get home.

The gunplay is good (which is why I am playing it). The story is standard id. Animations are superb. The AI I have run across is really good.

Graphically the game may not have all the tricks a lot of current engines have but it still can produce some pretty damned nice visuals (despite the textures).

LOL...wut? So us wanting to play the same game on the pc without bugs, glitches, max graphics, etc. like consoles makes us whiners? Do I want to be on here complaining, no. You don't like the thread then just don't click on it...

The only point I see you making is just shut up and take it...maybe you should buy a console then you can feel all superior to us pc gamers.

And when they patch it to fix the problems you are having, you'll find more problems, bugs, glitches, bad code, 50 other damn things to complain about. It happens every time, with every game.

For example, Alice: Madness Returns. There are STILL people complaining about the umbrella being bugged claiming they can't proceed through the game. If they had played for more than 3 seconds before hopping on a forum somewhere raising ten kinds of hell and actually tried, they'd have realized you can beat the boss without using the umbrella to deflect shots back at him. Matter of fact, I just beat the game about 3 hours ago and never got a chance to even use the umbrella...I forgot all about it.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with Rage, but every game that comes out now people try to act like it's another Daikatana 5 minutes after release before the devs even get a chance to patch it. And if it doesn't end up being fixed, you should have saved your money and waited for reviews first.

The lesson here is buyer beware, you failed, and now you're pissed.

Last edited:
My question is, on the pc version, why were LOW RES textures even considered? Why didn't they expect that level of backlash and think that "oh by the way we'll release a high res texture pack for pc later on" would be sufficient? When you do things RIGHT the first time, you won't get this level of backlash.

John Carmac was once quoted saying " The game will be released when it's done "

I guess medium rare qualifies as done. :rolleyes:

Can someone please send this comparative Doom3 vs. RAGE screen to Mr. Carmack? If he has ANY passion for real time technology left in him, he should be more than embarrassed and punish his artists, ADs and Project Managers by making them go back to work and fix this travesty.

i looked at the two pics and thought "what are they talking about? its not great, but it definitely looks better than the other image. far from backward progress." and then i saw that the one i thought was quake was actualy rage. omg.

Can anyone screen shot the graphics options screen? Is it as bad as Crysis 2's was?

Worse, you get two options: Resolution and AA.

That's it.

Oh and you can choose to use the left over 90%(exaggeration) of your video cards power and use the video card to transcode if your CPU is a little lacking(older dual cores).

Why does a pc game with super uber new MegaTextures need a texture pack after release?????

And when they patch it to fix the problems you are having, you'll find more problems, bugs, glitches, bad code, 50 other damn things to complain about. It happens every time, with every game.

For example, Alice: Madness Returns. There are STILL people complaining about the umbrella being bugged claiming they can't proceed through the game. If they had played for more than 3 seconds before hopping on a forum somewhere raising ten kinds of hell and actually tried, they'd have realized you can beat the boss without using the umbrella to deflect shots back at him. Matter of fact, I just beat the game about 3 hours ago and never got a chance to even use the umbrella...I forgot all about it.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with Rage, but every game that comes out now people try to act like it's another Daikatana 5 minutes after release before the devs even get a chance to patch it. And if it doesn't end up being fixed, you should have saved your money and waited for reviews first.

The lesson here is buyer beware, you failed, and now you're pissed.
Really, people will complain no matter what? I'm shocked.

Did you see this kind of hatred towards Deus Ex: HR? I don't think so. Sure, there may have been complaints (there always will be), but most people were happy with the game. There will always be complaints, but that's no reason to put your fingers in your ears and stop listening. I guess no one should complain about anything as long as you personally think something is fine? That doesn't make sense either. There will always be complaints, that's no reason to write all complaints off.

Disclaimer: I'm not interested in Rage, game on a PC, and play games on consoles.

UoJ0r.jpg

reminds me the textures i used to use back when mapping using hammer tools lol

cut the stuff that does not warrant a response

Meanwhile, there are plenty of companies that make money selling just PC games, and more still that can make games that work on PC @ release, and still look good on PC (ex: Deus Ex: HR) and release them on 360/PS3 too.
Deus Ex looks good? This is news. Nice environments, sure, but the characters are ugly as hell and don't even compare favorably to HL2 characters on account of the plastic Uncanniest Valley facial animation.
Point me to a game engine that "works on everything" - you can't.
Unreal Engine 3 runs on quite a few different platforms and has the games out to prove it.
Sure, people will complain that their favorite platform (PC) doesn't get the love it used to. I see more people just complaining that Rage sucks, and that id can't make a game worth $60 with six freaking years of dev time.
I see a lot of shit about flickering textures, the lack of detail settings, and the inability to bring up a console without tweaking the command line (hmmm I think you had to change the command line to bring up the console in Half Life). Not too much about the gameplay - barely anything about the gameplay, come to think of it.
People here are dedicated PC gamers and it frosts them to see their favorite format being given the big fat middle finger by long revered PC developer id.
I'm offended you guys call yourselves PC gamers.
Proof that you are an idiot. Kyle does not need his $60 back (even though he deserves it), he personally/the site can afford it. He's making a point: if you pay $60 for a game from a major publisher, you should expect it to work (at least reasonably) well on day one, not to half-work by modifying cvars on day five.
Making a point a business would listen to - showing a video of the texture pop-in, warning potential buyers about the risk you are taking. Linking to a hateful thread on your own forum, with a screenshotted post of you asking for your money back when you have literally no right to do so? You are going to get ignored.
First off, there were 15 pages when you posted, not 30.
User Control Panel. Its right up there. Check out some of those settings...
We're not asking id to "support our audience" - we're asking them to make a decent freaking game that works as it should, and we gave them six years to do it. We're passionate, not vitriolic, and asking for a decent game on PC (from a PC developer no less!) is not unreasonable. If you don't like PC gaming fans, go somewhere else. It's the "we don't give a shit" console kiddies that give us crap games like this in the first place. PC gamers are smart enough not to buy them.
Again, I'm offended you call yourself a PC gamer. I've been PC gaming since I was old enough to spell. You are graphics whores seeking validation for all those thousands of dollars you dumped into your rigs.

I bought X-Com UFO Defense when it was brand new and have played through it once every year since then. Are modern games, with the 1080p and the HDR and the SSAO and 5.1 surround sound with the fully orchestrated soundtracks any more involving or immersive or significantly more fun than this old ass game that only runs in 320x200 and has pixel art that was substandard even by 1994's standards?

Nope.

Seriously, if you think we are complaining "at the drop of a hat"....

Please go sit on a greased traffic cone and give in to your true desires.

IGN begs to differ with the general consensus here.

"Graphics 9.5: One of the best looking games ever made, assuming you can get it running smoothly."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1197974p2.html

Not that it´s my go to site for anything but release dates. All I can say; they must be freaking blind, bought or scared to hand out a 9.5

It's unfortunate that the once flag bearer of PC gaming and technology in general can no longer be bothered to produce a polished PC product.

However Id hasn't been relevant for years, I would argue that many other developers are more important to PC gaming and indeed gaming in general.

Basically I'm saying its just another FPS and the company behind it hasn't been special for many years.

While iD will always have a place in my heart, they really don't have a place on my hard drive anymore.

IGN begs to differ with the general consensus here.

"Graphics 9.5: One of the best looking games ever made, assuming you can get it running smoothly."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1197974p2.html

Not that it´s my go to site for anything but release dates. All I can say; they must be freaking blind, bought or scared to hand out a 9.5

That just makes me think those guys were not looking at the same thing we are seeing on PC. Have not seen the console version.

ATi issue. nvidia users not getting that texture pop in. 7 years after doom 3 and ati still cant code an opengl driver for shit.

THIS! ATI drivers continue to be a running joke. But they will probably get something worked out eventually. Just sucks for day 1 people (with ATI cards).

I seem to remember during JC's quakecon video that Nvidia was much more willing to work with them than ATI/AMD was on fine tuning. So Nvidia probably rolled the changes into a driver 6 months ago and we didn't even notice it.

THIS! ATI drivers continue to be a running joke. But they will probably get something worked out eventually. Just sucks for day 1 people (with ATI cards).

I seem to remember during JC's quakecon video that Nvidia was much more willing to work with them than ATI/AMD was on fine tuning. So Nvidia probably rolled the changes into a driver 6 months ago and we didn't even notice it.

It is NOT limited to AMD. The issue is a game issue, between both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, talking about texture streaming/pop-in, and low quality textures.

I can't pull up the link at work (damn web filtering...) but in the past I know IGN noted differences between platforms. And PC was usually a seperate review from consoles.

Same score, same reviewer across all three platforms. There is no way in hell one reviewer would have time to play through all three versions and get a review out on time.

It is NOT limited to AMD. The issue is a game issue, between both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, talking about texture streaming/pop-in, and low quality textures.

Using the forced 8k texture rageconfig 'tweak' along with creating the directory under /local completely removed the streaming issues on my now (by comparison) ancient E8400 / GTX470 system. I would assume it will do the same on ATI systems under the assumption they fixed their drivers.

I am very conflicted on rage right now.

To me the idea of the mega texture is very awesome. Having every single pixel be unique is quite a feat but it is very expensive. The internal build at id is 150gb. Since they can't really ship a 150gb game they have to drastically compress the mega texture to the level that you see right now. Its a damn shame, as you know the artists put alot of work into those textures. Since the mega texture is just that, one giant texture file, the only way to "fix" is to offer a much larger version 40g, 60g, etc. Who knows if they will do that. It would be awesome if they did but I doubt they will.

While storage is cheep, and internet is getting faster and cheaper. I don't think we have reached a point in time where having a 100% unique landscape that uses up 150g is acceptable at the moment. Maybe in the future when we all have gigabit lines in homes (lol) would such a goal be worth tackling. But for now I think it is best to stick with the traditional tiling method that we have been using in the past.

The game is fun though.

i like when people post comparison pictures and use a modded version for the first example

i like when people post comparison pictures and use a modded version for the first example

Yeah, it's pretty obvious to anyone that has played vanilla Doom 3 lately that the Doom 3's textures were never that good.

To me the idea of the mega texture is very awesome. Having every single pixel be unique is quite a feat but it is very expensive. The internal build at id is 150gb. Since they can't really ship a 150gb game they have to drastically compress the mega texture to the level that you see right now. Its a damn shame, as you know the artists put alot of work into those textures. Since the mega texture is just that, one giant texture file, the only way to "fix" is to offer a much larger version 40g, 60g, etc. Who knows if they will do that. It would be awesome if they did but I doubt they will.

While storage is cheep, and internet is getting faster and cheaper. I don't think we have reached a point in time where having a 100% unique landscape that uses up 150g game is acceptable at the moment. Maybe in the future when we all have gigabit lines in homes (lol) would such a goal be worth tackling. But for now I think it is best to stick with the traditional tiling method that we have been using in the past.

The game is fun though.

I'd rather have the 150GB version because while the game is fun some of the textures are so bad they are distracting. Sometimes I swear I'm playing Fallout 3 that's how bad they are.

While storage is cheep, and internet is getting faster and cheaper. I don't think we have reached a point in time where having a 100% unique landscape that uses up 150g is acceptable at the moment. Maybe in the future when we all have gigabit lines in homes (lol) would such a goal be worth tackling. But for now I think it is best to stick with the traditional tiling method that we have been using in the past.

The game is fun though.

Hard drives and DVD's are cheap are you said... there's no fucking excuse.

thanks. nowi know not to buy it. the commercial makes the game looks like it kicks ass but in reality just a chocolate covered turd.

Hard drives and DVD's are cheap are you said... there's no fucking excuse.

Yes they are cheap, but is a 17-18 dvd / 3 bluray game acceptable? Manufacturing costs would be high, and the user experience would make you want to shoot yourself, 17dvds? fuck meee.

As for a download. I don't know if that is economically viable at the moment. The bandwidth of sending that out to hundreds of thousands (to millions) of people would be quite expensive. It would take days to download. Our buddies in the EU would be totally fucked (some here as well). And it takes up 150gs which some people would refuse to install in the first place.

Is Fallout 3 any good? I've been thinking of giving it a shot, and now with this Rage disaster, it seems like a good idea.

The only thing that's really holding me up right now is the fact that it's also a Besthesda game, and so...

Back