Prototype 4x Titan V

Holy fucking balls, Absolutely awesome build!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

other than that, I have no words....

I have to admit, not much raises my eyebrows these days .... but your system did. I can honestly say I feel no envy because I'm not sure what I would do with that thing, but wow ... just wow.

But I got to thinking, with it being Christmas ....... could I have your address so I could send you a Christmas Card :) /KIDDING

Thanks for the post and share!

I decided to build a compact, small but powerful pc in a desktop /mid size .

Here’s what I built tonight

Prototype 1 (my personal pc)
Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 44 cores / 88HT
Super micro X10DRG-Q ver 1.10
Heavily customized Th P3 case / glass panel
1 960 pro (2TB) (Os drive)
10 Samsung 850 (2TB each) RAIDed (Apps Drive)
512 GB RAM
4x TITAN V
1500W+ digital tiatanium PSU
Ubuntu, MS 2012 Server R2, MS 2016 Server
4k ProArt 329q monitor

Used for research, medical imaging, nuc med, isotopes, DB, and games

View attachment 46233

View attachment 46234

View attachment 46235

View attachment 46236

View attachment 46237

View attachment 46238

View attachment 46241

View attachment 46240

I'll be in in my bunk...

what did you fab up to mount the PSU to the back of the case?

for me, owning this would be like owning a space ship, amazing but I would never use it to the full potential...

Last edited:
Damn sweet build! Really liking the clean craftsmanship.

That's pretty cool, but why not just use a Core P5, instead of the P3, so you don't have to mod the back of it like that?

Sorry for the late replies... this whole working for a living thing keeps getting in the way of fun.

Kyle was nice and was able to merge my two accounts so now i’m Back to being venturi.

I’ve been a member here since 2004, love this forum.

So I replied individually to several questions and I’ll try to answer the more general ones openly:

So YES, I do play games on the rig as well. I finished the last bit of ‘the old blood’ and I’m replaying ‘the new colossus’.
Before that I wrapped up ‘Echo’

What did the machine replace that made it an upgrade? Well it wasn’t as large an upgrade as people think. My prior rig was based on almost the same cores of the v4 e5-2699, except the one I’m using now have a slightly taller turbo setting.
The prior rig was a fully functional QUAD SLI Titan XP.
YES, I was the one that was able to re-enable quad sli after nvidia hobbled it for the 1080 and titan x and titan xp builds. YES, anyone can do it, I’ll be happy to share the secret sauce.

What I do for a living? I have a few jobs: All of them in science, medical or IT

4. The heat sinks are noctua, the fans are noiseblocker, the chipset cooler is enzotech,

5. What do I do with the pc:
Well it does DB work, research, nuc med, medical imaging, quickbooks, email, Oracle, and I’m almost done replaying ‘the new colossus’ as I want to get all the secrets and records, items, etc that I didn’t get on the first pass

How much did it cost:
I’ll decline to answer but I’ll say this: not as much as you may think because every build borrows and add from the prior build

I’ve had mostly dual cpu rigs starting with my first one in 1999 all the way up to this one. And every build borrows from the prior
The first build was also the first water cooled dual cpu rig and first water cooled video card
There were other first along the way so here are some pics of this current rigs and its ancestry:

DA7A8C45-BFB1-4CC6-B1F1-AF03569945F9.jpeg

C31F3EE8-DFAA-4E76-8CB0-842C7C043A2B.jpeg

4C6B49D0-9584-4E38-8749-17418109C8BB.jpeg

D20DB152-FC3C-4758-B94A-BE141C69A8A7.jpeg

0AC411BB-EC91-40A3-A411-DF377CC93B45.jpeg

BB3D5F14-B99B-4066-96B9-C2FF3B474A06.jpeg

6239DB49-A56E-4A30-9805-991780AD1D1F.jpeg

697B3C2D-8F61-4149-B57A-CE4B2F27D08D.jpeg

FD6A46F4-CA36-4371-8994-20438B91B52B.jpeg

7F75A4F7-E281-44EE-B77E-45CB593FDFB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that you have your regular account back, whatever possessed you to name your second account Minimalist??? Nothing about your builds supports that username. :eek:

True, but it will be glorious for now

And
I have two rigs I’ve kept over the years as each is awesome in its own right

I think this rig will join those ranks

Sadly in 4 years it'll be as fast as a $250 3060 ti :D

For gaming maybe. High Cuda core count cards (say that 5 times fast...) outperform mid grade cards for years to come in terms of processing power and computations.

You are very observant

And

I still have that board :)
im suprised I dont see a sr-2 anywwhere on those lists i mean it was one of the best dual xeon board for abit and 1366 was a pretty fantastic socket.

I did have a 1050ti in that 5th slot

but it seemed out of place

it was cool in the nvcpl to see 4 Titan V and the ti

the x10drg-q motherboard has two additional unique features of great value:

1 - let’s you use all the 7 slots even if 4 slots have two slot wide video cards

2 - the primary video slot is the lowest slot on the pic; so your primary video card is the coldest card

89462F1B-CF70-4C93-8A05-79243DA726D2.jpeg

You should join the [H] Distributed Computing team with that rig and help us beat everyone. Haha!

Benches are coming

I’ve been busy. This whole “working for a living” this keeps getting in the way ;)

Also I’ve had to do a few clean installs and just now I’m back where I was

The problem:
I was using happily win server 2012 data center and dodging win 10

Well these cards only have drivers on 3 OSs: Windows 7, Windows 10 and Ubuntu

So PAINFULLY... I moved to Windows server 2016 data center

If only there was a guide, I searched

But all I found was sparse solutions to large MS unanswered request from many people. Example, failed appid {67813 etc etc etc} didn’t have permission.... lots of that and edit DCOM

In telemetry - voodoo! The boys in Redmond are going all out.... so much to learn, so much misinformation

And so forth

I started with the usual set up of 2016 DRB as a workstation and moved all the way through all the little red Xsin event viewer- one by one solving each one, then the same in event viewer for applications etc

Then all the crap with connected devices platform, user experience, and more

Then came the Windows Update (you know: “who does number two work for? AP)
So gaining control of WU and making run only when I want and only download / install what I want etc

It goes on and on

Then there was their imbedded virus/sabotage device:
Reproducible 100% (8 reloads worth):
Mess with telemetry the right way and windows update, and the shellhost destroys the desktop/start button
When you lose the start button, none of the recommended MS fix actually resolves anything. reload at that point

Solution was to prevent the 1-2-3 trigger, but finally figured it out

It took me 4 days (between work wife kids toys etc) to get it fast smooth and make it feel like it should

I made a base load with only ms OS, ms apps, and ms updates. Didn’t mess with anything , made a perfect base clone disk and every single time I lost the start button I sent back to my base restore/clone disk and tried a different path to solve

Eventually got there

I WISH there was guide!
I did keep a decent copy pasted notepad so maybe when I get time I’ll clean it up and share

So

Benchmarks are coming

Some fun things I was able to do in the meantime on the titan v’s :
Finished wolfenstein new colossus and the old blood
Finished Echo
Finished titanfall2
Finished a few other games

Got amazing performance on wolfenstein new colossus pre-patched

Anyhow

Benches are coming

Last edited:
Nice build with Quad GPUs:)

This must have been built for 3D cad? because it would have been OTT for games IMO

But to my understanding is it don't matter if the games run in 16/8x speed but for data processing this becomes quite important. On a single Xeon, you only have 40 PCIE lanes, and therefore the most you could run without multiplexers or switchers, which reduce speed is 2x 16 and 1x 8; the same thing holds for dual CPUs. MB 4 PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (1 in x16), 1 PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8)

Its cool......I guess. Be a lot cooler if you had Noctua fans to match your heatsinks ;)

Its cool......I guess. Be a lot cooler if you had Noctua fans to match your heatsinks ;)

....but...the noctua fans are brown and beige!!! I couldn’t do it.

And the noiseblocker fans are quieter ( and not brown / beige)

Noctua has their "industrial" line out now...they are black

I mean really dude, why you cheaping out like this /s

I hope it's not only for gaming. Also I hope you plan to watercool it or it's going to throttle like a bastard.

Nice build with Quad GPUs:)

This must have been built for 3D cad? because it would have been OTT for games IMO

But to my understanding is it don't matter if the games run in 16/8x speed but for data processing this becomes quite important. On a single Xeon, you only have 40 PCIE lanes, and therefore the most you could run without multiplexers or switchers, which reduce speed is 2x 16 and 1x 8; the same thing holds for dual CPUs. MB 4 PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (1 in x16), 1 PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8)

PCIe lanes do matter for SLI. There's a thread on it.

Last edited:
....but...the noctua fans are brown and beige!!! I couldn’t do it.

And the noiseblocker fans are quieter ( and not brown / beige)

They are quieter than the noiseblocker fans trust me. And they would match the beige/gold color of your Titan V's beautifully.

Not that I am looking for that benchmark update with hash values for major crypto currencies or anything... ok I am. Sigh..

Back