Prototype 4x Titan V

I mean, he already paid for the system, might as well mine when the machine isnt in use.
Judging by the build he obviously doesn't need that few scraps it could mine. Using it for mining would be just insensitive at this point.

I don't know what you would even do with such a thing. I have a feeling that any commercial software that needs such a build probably costs as much as the hardware. It probably just sits there for a few days, churning away, then spits out "42" on the screen.

that is one bad rig! Props sir.

Those cryptocurrency profits must have been nice. I'm riding the wave hard myself.

Welcome to the forum. This is what it's all about.

Your system is one of the most functionally beautiful things I have ever seen.

If you work for a hospital or group practice, I want to see the accountant's face when you give him/her the invoice for that.

"Yup, I threw this together so we could get more out of our electronic data bases......"

Yeah.......so what......25,000 for the computer.......but I got a great deal on the case......

Holy shit, buying two measly 1080 Tis had me explaining myself to my wife for a month.

Holy shit, buying two measly 1080 Tis had me explaining myself to my wife for a month.

Consider yourself lucky I still haven't told my wife I bought a GTX1070 almost almost 5 months ago, and I'm getting a GTX1070Ti or GTX1080 for christmas. (Thanks ETH) :D:D:D:LOL::LOL:

Whelp, that is damned impressive, as many others have said.

I wonder though.. with these specs, are the SATA SSDs bottlenecking it at all? With that many drives I'd guess you're running RAID 6?

If you've got some spare cycles I'd love to see some disk benchies.

Every now and then it's appropriate to phone in a response like "Holy SHIT, man!".......now is one of those times. Epic Build.

Hey guys. I just wanted to share my build here. I had to take out a loan on my house but boy is it worth it:
titan pr0n.png

If you work for a hospital or group practice, I want to see the accountant's face when you give him/her the invoice for that.

"Yup, I threw this together so we could get more out of our electronic data bases......"

Yeah.......so what......25,000 for the computer.......but I got a great deal on the case......

Actually that price isn't far off from a good DB server. So good on him for squeezing it into a system he can multi purpose. Just built out some Dual Xeon 16 core systems with 384 gig, Pair of 4 port 10gb nicks, 3 FC cards and dedundant power supplies for around 22k each. And that's with a hefty discount.

In a 72'F room CPU temps at idle are 75'F-79'F under load they get as high as 96'F (35'C)
In a 72'F room the Titans V's are 97'F under load the get as high as 172' F (78'C)

You've built a real beast, I have some questions if you don't mind.

1. What was your previous system doing this job?

2. What were the timings like for job completion of said jobs on the old system?

3. What are the timings for job completion of said jobs on the current system?

4. I take it you are running the raid 5 as the DB host in order to be able to have super fast retrieval of data in your read and write seeks, I'm also betting that your primary memory consumption is the DB. Is that correct?

5. What DB are you using. AS someone familiar with MSSQL licensing costs.. Licensing those 44 cores at 25k per four makes your expenditure on the Titan GPU's literal chump change. (Yes that is a accurate number for anyone wondering.)

6. What OS do you run on this system? A Dual boot between Linux for the scientific work and Windows 10 Enterprise for the gaming?

I have a lot more questions.. hardware wise this is a beautiful build.

And thanks a TON of you decide to answer these questions.

Hey OP, would you be able to obtain an NVLink bridge and test it out on your Titan Vs by removing the backplates to see if NVLink is actually functional, just blocked by the backplate?

From the pictures I've seen it looks like the NVLink electrical contacts are fully intact, just blocked off by the backplate.

Last edited:
Back